• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Marvel and DC going head to head on video games front looks like it with injustice and mvc4. You think mvc4 can hang with injustice when it comes to financial success? I still think injustice will outsell mvc4 by a mile. With capcoms name attached to the project might turn away a lot of casual players.
I think Disney is cautious about this games success thats why it looks so low budget compared to Injustice. The graphics alone have tremendous difference.

I think both games will look fine in the end. That said, Injustice 2's vs. MvC: I will be like Mortal Kombat X vs. SFV's sales.

Won't even be close. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Injustice outsells both SFV and this game combined.

Netherealm has sales on lock.

Have they said anything about the game having a healthy amount of unlockable content that will give people incentive to play the game solo?

That's one of the things that I think makes NR games so popular is the amount of stuff they give you to do when your not interested in PVP content. There are always a ton of costumes, stages, moves, etc to unlock which gives people who's focus isn't on competitive MP reason to support the game as they know they will still have lots to do. This aspect will only get stronger for Neather Realms with the armor/character customization aspect for injustice 2.
They said the game would have a story mode with lots of cutscenes and a mission mode, whatever that means.

Keep that armor garbage out of Capcom fighters.

Neoxon

Have they said anything about the game having a healthy amount of unlockable content that will give people incentive to play the game solo?

That's one of the things that I think makes NR games so popular is the amount of stuff they give you to do when your not interested in PVP content. There are always a ton of costumes, stages, moves, etc to unlock which gives people who's focus isn't on competitive MP reason to support the game as they know they will still have lots to do. This aspect will only get stronger for Neather Realms with the armor/character customization aspect for injustice 2.
Don't expect unlockable characters, namely due to the competitive scene complaining about it for Vanilla SFIV & Vanilla MvC3. Capcom has since done away with unlockable character. We could get other unlockable content.

Skilletor

The people who I normally see complain about unlockable content most are the FGC because they want all the content there for competitive reasons. I don't think there is a group with a bigger disparity of wants for their games then that of the FGC vs Casual fighting fans.

Pretty simple fix. DoA solved this.

Vs. mode in DoA has a tourney mode that unlocks everything that isn't DLC. You can't use it in any other mode.

Just do this. Everybody is happy.

Jawmuncher

Made a roster I think we can all agree on

untitled1ztucw.png

Dino Crisis, Power Stone and Three Wonders.

Stat.

I'll take the word of people actually working on the game above anyone else. Especially considering some of those people like Nibel who said no X-Men, said we'd have MCU voice actors.
The people working on the game said that the heritage of previous Marvel vs Capcom characters like Wolverine would be in this game. Eurogamer said a new Marvel VS Capcom gave would be announced at PSX and there would be no X-Men.

Neoxon

Pretty simple fix. DoA solved this.

Vs. mode in DoA has a tourney mode that unlocks everything that isn't DLC. You can't use it in any other mode.

Just do this. Everybody is happy.
Or just offer unlockable content besides characters (Ex: costumes, colors stages, music, art, alternate menus, titles, etc.).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The people who I normally see complain about unlockable content most are the FGC because they want all the content there for competitive reasons. I don't think there is a group with a bigger disparity of wants for their games then that of the FGC vs Casual fighting fans.

I dunno. I've known a few people who lost their Brawl saves and then never played the game again because they didn't want to jump through all those hoops to unlock everything. Not the competitive type, either.

Make stages, outfits, etc. unlockable. Go nuts with side modes (e.g. Heroes & Heralds). But don't put core chunks of the game behind a gate.

ReaperXL7

They said the game would have a story mode with lots of cutscenes and a mission mode, whatever that means.

Keep that armor garbage out of Capcom fighters.

I'm not saying Capcom should take the armor system, but all of these characters from both Marvel and Capcom have tons of costumes and variants that should be unlockable within the game, colors and stages could also be used as unlockables.

Sadly Capcom will have all of those but they will likely only be paid DLC.

I think both games will look fine in the end. That said, Injustice 2's vs. MvC: I will be like Mortal Kombat X vs. SFV's sales.

Won't even be close. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Injustice outsells both SFV and this game combined.

Netherealm has sales on lock.

I'm not so sure of that... the original Injustice literally had no competition the year it was out. It only had to compete against Killer Instinct season 1 (Xbone Exclusive) and Divekick.

Injustice 2 is going up against Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Street Fighter V: Season 2, For Honor, and Tekken 7: Fated Retribution.

Neoxon

I'll take the word of people actually working on the game above anyone else. Especially considering some of those people like Nibel who said no X-Men, said we'd have MCU voice actors.
It's called PR talk, my friend. It's a good sign for sure, but you can't be pulling a me & taking it as a certain fact. All they said is that the heritage would be preserved, we don't know what that exactly entails right now. As for the rumors, both Polygon & Eurogamer said no X-Men when they leaked MvCI's existence, so there's plenty justification for us to be concerned.

NotLiquid

Haha no. At least NRS animates their faces.

1fe0fpot6y9sjr1a.jpg

I'm pretty sure X isn't completed yet on that end. The only time he changes his face in the trailers is when he gets the First Armor. It wouldn't surprise me if they just chose to reveal him first to get fans on board even if he might not be fully formed yet.

Not sure if this has been answered by the devs yet, but are we gonna be choosing just one Infinity Stone for our team or are we selecting one for each character? (hope it's the latter)

Jawmuncher

I'm pretty sure X isn't completed yet on that end. The only time he changes his face in the trailers is when he gets the First Armor. It wouldn't surprise me if they just chose to reveal him first to get fans on board even if he might not be fully formed yet.

This is my take as well. Doesn't even have a VA atm.

Haha no. At least NRS animates their faces.

1fe0fpot6y9sjr1a.jpg
Someone pointed out that X just T poses when he gets hit by Iron Avenger. He's probably one of the least finished characters that they shoved into the reveal trailer because they knew everyone would lose their goddam minds.

He's probably so unfinished because Capcom wants to work on the interesting characters first.

Ryce

I didn't plan on sharing this just yet, but with the incessant Fox ban discussion I thought I should speak up.

Yesterday, I was told with complete certainty that X-Men and Fantastic Four characters will be coming… as DLC. It's a done deal.

shaowebb

GJV9UNg.jpg

List template link
So many more I wanted to add like Iron Fist but this is my "safe bet list" of cast I expect will make it in fairly easily. Here's hoping I'm right because my Capcom side aint that safe lol. I'd just like to see Dino Crisis, Godhand, Sengoku Basara, and Powerstone in the game this time around is all.

vPLswnF.jpg

Figured its easier to quote images so the page doesn't get super long looking at lists all the time as folks post their wishlist. If you dont like filling one out just type your list up in preview instead of posting and take a screenshot then post it as an image so we can at least quote and minimize scrolling. No reason I stopped at 32 just figured it was a safe number.

Have at it folks. Fill in the blanks and we can get to ranking and bitching bout each others dreams.
My only wants
Capcom
Zero
Sigma

Marvel
Spidey
Black panther
Ant man
Vision
Daredevil
Luke cage

I found this line in their official press release for this game interesting

In addition to regular major title releases each fiscal year, Capcom is currently focused on reviving series that have not had new entries recently, or otherwise dormant IP. Beginning with MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE, a return for the series following a five-year hiatus, Capcom looks to enhance its corporate value even further by utilizing its library of rich contents.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161205b.html

bof3-ryu.jpg

Do it Capcom!

Jawmuncher

GJV9UNg.jpg

So many more I wanted to add like Iron Fist but this is my "safe bet list" of cast I expect will make it in fairly easily. Here's hoping I'm right because my Capcom side aint that safe lol. I'd just like to see Dino Crisis, Godhand, Sengoku Basara, and Powerstone in the game this time around is all.

I'd be cool with this

NotLiquid

I didn't plan on sharing this just yet, but with the incessant Fox ban discussion I thought I should speak up.

Yesterday, I was told with complete certainty that X-Men and Fantastic Four characters will be coming… as DLC. It's a done deal.

iHPgY9K.gif

Pretty smart from Capcom and Marvel. Milk that shit to the full extent.

The moment you hear about Wesker please pm lol.

Ill gladly pay for Gambit. Only X-Men fighter I care about.

It's actually pretty clever.

They stand to make more money off of this, the DLC will sell like hot cakes, X-Men and FF get no advertising from the hype train that will last until release and that's really where the lion's share of the advertising budget will go, and we still get the characters in the end.

Skab

thereitis.gif

TheAnvil

Neo Member
It's called PR talk, my friend. It's a good sign for sure, but you can't be pulling a me & taking it as a certain fact. All they said is that the heritage would be preserved, we don't know what that exactly entails right now. As for the rumors, both Polygon & Eurogamer said no X-Men when they leaked MvCI's existence, so there's plenty justification for us to be concerned.

Sorry, but that really isn't PR talk.

PR talk would be avoiding the question, or dodging it. Saying 'X-Men fans will be happy' really only means one thing. Unless the guy is outright lying.

Neoxon

At least Capcom was able to renegotiate after Marvel's change-of-heart.

Horseress

Isn't it too early for "done deals"? The game looks bare bones

Isn't it too early for "done deals"? The game looks bare bones

Making characters still takes time so the earlier they can get specifics hammered out, the smoother the planning and development can be. It also allows them to MAYBE incorporate these characters into the game before hand.

Like a character hanging out in the background of a stage or having a small role in the story mode.

AESplusF

That's great to hear, I mean people are gonna be salty but it's better than them being completely absent.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Better than nothing

I'll pay anything for Victor Von Doom

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm not so sure of that... the original Injustice literally had no competition the year it was out. It only had to compete against Killer Instinct season 1 (Xbone Exclusive) and Divekick.

Injustice 2 is going up against Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Street Fighter V: Season 2, For Honor, and Tekken 7: Fated Retribution.

Kind of made my case for me? Injustice sold very well. That audience will be looking to pick up the sequel. I expect the sequel to sell a ton if they do a good job at their marketing. Similar to MK9 > MKX.

SFV isn't selling enough anymore to even mention. "Season 2" is a character pass for $30 and you have no idea what you are getting.

UMvC 3 ended up selling pretty well, over a million+ IIRC. MvC:I could do well as well.

Not sure how For Honor is even here. It's not a fighting game.

Tekken 7 will be interesting to see after how Tekken Tag 2 tanked. I hope it does well.

In the end, I hope they all do well. I just see Injustice 2 selling a lot more.

Top Bottom