• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coda

voEZhzu.png

Now that the other thread is closed we can all discuss the game further here...

9HohBQ7.png

4FKurLj.png

b617XPR.png
S9EKG6z.png
EAHOMZI.png

dcxdsGX.png
btthLKJ.png
gpORl9i.png

O29svgk.png
zsKluTi.png
T2PSH3U.png

FAzc86C.png
bpOWOuh.png
MYykHsM.png

20q0VOw.png
jcmZT6w.png
giqHGkq.png

ptpwX18.png

CgNusXS.png

0CjGNm1.png
qqp4cMC.png
y6W8UJB.png

uiSvfdN.png
jSnrUu7.png
zHowamw.png

yKtmX9l.png
s7yv6xi.png
8PDmWTf.png

YX8fGX3.png
qLqmXZr.png
gZcYRLa.png

MV99ftN.png
TO5N667.png
9VSoSjx.png

0o8ZtdL.png

82CtPk5.png

BaGZfuq.png
pysInFv.png

ARBck5M.png
EPifG00.png

hHHdGFj.png
bfbHHmx.png

C94dmZs.png
RIhzT3e.png

4BdYQtv.png
SM560Vr.png

luE6XcG.png

• Platforms: PS4, X1, & Steam
  • Release Date: September 19, 2017
  • 2v2, raw tags are instant and designed to carry combos fluidly
  • 30 character roster at launch with 6 planned DLC fighters coming in the future.
  • Single player modes include Arcade, Mission, Training, and a Cinematic Story, Frank Tieri is involved in some capacity
  • Multiplayer features include ranked matches, casual matches, global leaderboards, and online lobbies with spectator mode.
  • Unreal Engine 4
  • Producer: Mike Evans

pem8wXs.png

Infinite Stone mechanic replaces X-Factor, is planned to have two types of abilities that can be activated. The abilities are as follows:
  • Power Stone - Surge: causes a range attack that will wall bounce; Infinity Storm: increase the damage output and probably causes more wall bounce
  • Time Stone - Surge: give the characters an ability to make teleport-dash; Infinity Storm: increases mobility and combo potential (basically cut down on animations)
  • Space Stone - Surge: able to draw the opponent toward to you; Infinity Storm: put your opponent in box of shame (small space)
  • Reality Stone - Surge: summons a red homing projectile that would move slowly; Infinity Storm: summons four different element attacks depend on your input(s)
  • Mind Stone - Surge: summons a small yellow bubble which is a command grab that would put your opponent in full stun mode, but heavily scaling; Storm: You would be granted with a full meter gauge (four bars)
  • Soul Stone - Surge: would leech health from the opponent Storm: resurrect your downed partner and activate Marvel vs. Capcom 1 cross attack style

Knr1Cv6.png

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The other thread shouldn't have gotten closed, just renamed to include gameplay somewhere in the title. Having a thread for less than a month before the OT is asinine.

Dahbomb

Damn I guess my giant theory craft post got the thread locked LMAO!

I should probably update my mechanics guide since we know a bit more about the game now.

McNum

Aw, but I don't wanna shill. Can't I just be moderately excited to play X without getting paid for it?

In the Beginners League. Which I really, really hope Capcom won't mess up. ...so how do we expected them to mess it up?

I mean the goal of having an explicit Beginners League has to be to make sure actual good players get booted out of it ASAP, so how do you do that? A beginner who learns to play well also needs to graduate out of it, so how do you do that?

Coda

Hoping the online code doesn't suck.

I think there's no way it can be as bad as MvC3's netcode so that's a plus. According to Max, it's most likely some combination of SF V's netcode but maybe also different in some way? Either way I think it should be pretty good as long as both people are on good connections.

JeTmAn81

Aw, but I don't wanna shill. Can't I just be moderately excited to play X without getting paid for it?

In the Beginners League. Which I really, really hope Capcom won't mess up. ...so how do we expected them to mess it up?

I mean the goal of having an explicit Beginners League has to be to make sure actual good players get booted out of it ASAP, so how do you do that? A beginner who learns to play well also needs to graduate out of it, so how do you do that?

With the beginner's league you're supposed to be matched against people below a certain level. I have to assume that above that level it's possible to get matched with people from a much higher level. So maybe a mid-tier ranked player might fight another mid player, or might fight a top player.

EDIT: I FINALLY MADE THE WALL OF SHAME, SUCCESS!

Dahbomb

I guess it makes that the ROSTER discussion thread was locked since we know the full roster now and all the stones.

Hopefully I can get my hands on this game a week or so early. Pretty excited for this game besides all the common complaints.

Might end up double dipping for PC. Does anyone know if you can upgrade standard edition to deluxe edition to receive the extra stuff?

tribal24

Banned
Damn I guess my giant theory craft post got the thread locked LMAO!

I should probably update my mechanics guide since we know a bit more about the game now.

You broke the last thread! Lol actually your theorycraft was a awesome post please more.

FSLink

Banned
I think there's no way it can be as bad as MvC3's netcode so that's a plus. According to Max, it's most likely some combination of SF V's netcode but maybe also different in some way? Either way I think it should be pretty good as long as both people are on good connections.

Yeah but SFV's netcode also sucks. The way Capcom implemented roll back is shoddy. It is really dumb that currently one side of the connection will feel no lag and the other side is teleport city. They need to fix this for both SFV and whatever netcode they are implementing into MvCI.

Also any bets on whether rage quitting will not be punished at launch?

McNum

With the beginner's league you're supposed to be matched against people below a certain level. I have to assume that above that level it's possible to get matched with people from a much higher level. So maybe a mid-tier ranked player might fight another mid player, or might fight a top player.

EDIT: I FINALLY MADE THE WALL OF SHAME, SUCCESS!
Yeah, it's supposed to work like that, but what's stopping a good player from just not playing ranked and stomping newbies for fun? Beginners League needs to be Ranked Mode, but with a hard cap on opponent levels or something like that.

Also, "level 14" is such a nebulous term. I mean I'm level 200-something in SFV and I suck horribly at it. I just played the single player stuff and got levels thrown at me. Beat 4 ridiculously easy fights? +10 leveIs! Fight for an hour online? +1 level! Maybe. That was just stupid. In the SFV beta, levels meant a good estimate on how much the opponent played. In the full game, it was meaningless. I really hope Story Mode doesn't count for leveling up in this. That'd just be stupid. You're no less of a beginner when it comes to fighting other people after that. You may or may not have learned to press buttons somewhat deliberately, though. Not betting on that. Unless the game has a good tutorial. Not betting on that either.

JayEH

Yeah, it's supposed to work like that, but what's stopping a good player from just not playing ranked and stomping newbies for fun? Beginners League needs to be Ranked Mode, but with a hard cap on opponent levels or something like that.

Also, "level 14" is such a nebulous term. I mean I'm level 200-something in SFV and I suck horribly at it. I just played the single player stuff and got levels thrown at me. Beat 4 ridiculously easy fights? +10 leveIs! Fight hor an hour online? +1 level! Maybe. That was just stupid. In the SFV beta, levels meant a good estimate on how much the opponent played. In the full game, it was meaningless. I really hope Story Mode doesn't count for leveling up in this. That'd just be stupid. You're no less of a beginner when it comes to fighting other people after that. You may or may not have learned to press buttons somewhat deliberately, though. Not betting on that. Unless the game has a good tutorial. Not betting on that either.

It said rank 14 not level 14. I assume that's a rank like bronze, silver, etc.

Coda

Yeah but SFV's netcode also sucks. The way Capcom implemented roll back is shoddy. It is really dumb that currently one side of the connection will feel no lag and the other side is teleport city. They need to fix this for both SFV and whatever netcode they are implementing into MvCI.

Yeah rollback netcode would be pretty awful in an MvC game, which is why I think MvC3 went with a more slow-down style of netcode. Either way dealing with lag is never going to be perfect but I have high hopes that the netcode will be totally serviceable and playable. If the netcode is like Killer Instinct's netcode then we good.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yeah rollback netcode would be pretty awful in an MvC game, which is why I think MvC3 went with a more slow-down style of netcode. Either way dealing with lag is never going to be perfect but I have high hopes that the netcode will be totally serviceable and playable. If the netcode is like Killer Instinct's netcode then we good.

Well, Max said training mode had a input/frame delay option to imitate online, so make of that what you will.

Coda

Can we all talk about how ass the training stage is? It has no personality at all.

hJRb84bl.jpg

I'd honestly be happy if they just redid Tatsunoko vs. Capcom's training stage. It was so cool with the height meter showing you how high your combo went in the air.

bQ07WYKl.jpg

Neoxon

Can we all talk about how ass the training stage is? It has no personality at all.

hJRb84bl.jpg

I'd honestly be happy if they just redid Tatsunoko vs. Capcom's training stage. It was so cool with the height meter showing you how high your combo went in the air.

bQ07WYKl.jpg
It's supposed to be the Avengers' training room. It's depicted similarly in Avengers: EMH & Avengers Assemble.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

hJRb84bl.jpg

bQ07WYKl.jpg

We can't, because then this thread would get locked for discussing stages!

Okay, I'll stop.

And yes, that stage is horrible.

JeTmAn81

Also, "level 14" is such a nebulous term. I mean I'm level 200-something in SFV and I suck horribly at it. I just played the single player stuff and got levels thrown at me. Beat 4 ridiculously easy fights? +10 leveIs! Fight for an hour online? +1 level! Maybe. That was just stupid. In the SFV beta, levels meant a good estimate on how much the opponent played. In the full game, it was meaningless. I really hope Story Mode doesn't count for leveling up in this. That'd just be stupid. You're no less of a beginner when it comes to fighting other people after that. You may or may not have learned to press buttons somewhat deliberately, though. Not betting on that. Unless the game has a good tutorial. Not betting on that either.

Beginner's league will probably only apply to ranked matches. So a high-level player couldn't play in there for long without ranking out. As for player matches, that's always been anything goes.

FSLink

Banned
I disagree, Skullgirls does it and does it fine since it's not badly implemented.

McNum

It said rank 14 not level 14. I assume that's a rank like bronze, silver, etc.
Ah. That's somewhat better, yes.

Real beginners will give and take wins from each other and rank up slowly, assuming you can rank up from inside the Beginners League, which would almost be required for it to work, but someone beating everyone will go on a streak and get booted fast. And then make it so you can't fall below that rank again. It's not perfect, of course, but that is the nature of a game like this. On day one, everyone starts from the bottom. No matter if you're a pro player or someone who picked up the game on a whim because it had X on the cover. Those two people should never play, it'd waste their time. But on day one... all bets are off.

It would be nice for there to be some incentive for good, or just overconfident, players to skip the Beginners League entirely, though. Like leveling faster in Ranked. Heck, if that's how it works, I'd put a message in the game if you're losing in Ranked too much, like a 20% win rate or worse, it'd suggest the Beginners League to you. ...even if that's kind of like dying too much in Devil May Cry and then having it go "Easy Mode unlocked!" Not exactly a confidence booster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, the Roster discussion thread got locked?

Yup, it was a weird move especially we are so close to launch date, and we haven't any idea about last two characters and next year characters.

So, d'yall actually think Meioh is actually the third Capcom character?

I already expect him and Winter Solider but I would like to be surprised by someone else. Nothing against Meios but I thought they would focus on fan-favorite characters in order to push the sales.

Coda

It's supposed to be the Avengers' training room. It's depicted similarly in Avengers: EMH & Avengers Assemble.

Yeah it just looks so bland though. Would've been cool if they got a little more creative with it instead of trying to stay so faithful to Marvel's property.

HardRojo

hJRb84bl.jpg

bQ07WYKl.jpg

Should've gone with the Danger Room again and creep Professor X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom