• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

DarkDreamTCK

Neo Member
So is X considered ass now? No one's playing him (as I expected).

X is very solid, high tier character with pretty much the easiest 6.5k combo in the game, but he doesn't dominate in any area and all of his moves are basic. He can do a little of everything but none of it exceptionally well.

X is very solid, high tier character with pretty much the easiest 6.5k combo in the game, but he doesn't dominate in any area and all of his moves are basic. He can do a little of everything but none of it exceptionally well.

And in a game where you can only pick two characters X just doesn't make a big case for adding him over one of the established top tiers.

I also haven't seen him with great synergy with rocket, jedah, Dante, or gamora. I'm sure he works fine but people have better options right now.

Tirael

Just rewatched Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Really looking forward to both WS and Black Widow.

Yep, that movie does a great job making those characters look good. Now the game has to follow suit.

Which, if the current pattern holds,
they will because they're DLC and new.

PSqueak

Banned
Been playing some online lately, im mad at myself cause im not in the point yet where i can easily punish people who just span keepaway moves.

also i find it hilarious that people were worried this game was gonna be too dumbed down and made accessible yet it ended up having a skill wall higher than MVC3.

DarkDreamTCK

Neo Member
I don't why you guys are salty that Dante is super safe on everything. He was safe on everything in MVC3 too because of Bold cancel. That is a key part of his playstyle. Just like Zero can cover his stuff with Buster.

No surprise people most salty over Dante were Zero or Morrigan players in 3 (ie. Absurdly safe characters). Check your priveleges!

Dante definitely OP though but safety and combo ability are a core aspect of Dante since 3. What's not the core aspect of Dante is instant high/lows. The stotgun puts him over the top.

Disagree with this as a Dante player in the mvc3 days. Yes, bold cancel helped make you safe, but he still had openings and he actually needed to bold cancel to do it. There was a layer of difficulty to it that doesn't exist here.

Dante wasn't this safe in umvc3. He didn't get to do full screen jetstream into tempest twister and if he did land that he didn't get a full combo from it and his combos didn't do that much damage. He didn't get to do l into h into a full combo. He didn't have the qcf guns that fully convert if hit with them at any point or can cancel into teleport. He couldn't get a full combo from air qcf hp, and that move didn't connect after landing so many jumping attacks in one combo because of how hitstun deterioration worked in that game. His million dollars didn't instantly create a beam across the screen, there was travel time to those first bullets. He didn't get full combo off f.hp mash hp.

I could go on and on especially in regards to how his moveset works with tags, but essentially he was not THIS safe and got THIS much damage THIS easily. He is broken and they need to fix him.

And him requiring a perfectly timed advance guard at the very end of his animation for twister tempest at exactly the close enough range to land an lp without needing to dash first does not a fair move make. He can still tag at any time and the risk reward is still in his favor. You mess up your punish after a normal pushblock and it whiffs, you're eating an lp into a full 6k plus damage combo with Dante and he gets to try again afterwards anyway. Again, this is all without even factoring in the tagging that he can do at any time during to not only eat your input but also mix you up afterwards.

Sou Da

Sounds like they really nailed his character.

FSLink

Banned
Been playing some online lately, im mad at myself cause im not in the point yet where i can easily punish people who just span keepaway moves.

also i find it hilarious that people were worried this game was gonna be too dumbed down and made accessible yet it ended up having a skill wall higher than MVC3.
This is too early to say.

Dahbomb

No one actually did Tempest/Twister because it was awful in Marvel 3.

Same for a bunch of other Dante moves. Dante had like 40 moves but people only used the 15 good ones. Now most of his moves are actually good and we are seeing what the true potential of the character looks like.

FSLink

Banned
If anything I think people are leaning towards it being dumbed down...

That's where I am right now, but it's still early. I do think people are dealing with "dumb" stuff like rose garden and Reality Stone much better and it's only been a month, but there's still some other stuff that makes me question wtf they were thinking. We'll see how it plays out.

No one actually did Tempest/Twister because it was awful in Marvel 3.

Same for a bunch of other Dante moves. Dante had like 40 moves but people only used the 15 good ones. Now most of his moves are actually good and we are seeing what the true potential of the character looks like.

Yeah, but there wasn't really a need to dumb down his execution requirements too on top of that lol

Dahbomb

They lowered the execution requirement for every character coming from Marvel 3. And every character is super safe now with the tag system.

Dante just gels the best with the system mechanics.

At least he doesn't have invincible Hammer anymore.

FSLink

Banned
They lowered the execution requirement for every character coming from Marvel 3. And every character is super safe now with the tag system.

Dante just gels the best with the system mechanics.

At least he doesn't have invincible Hammer anymore.

I'm well aware dude, I have the game lol I just don't think it's necessary to lower the execution requirements for -all- characters. I think it's important for them to make the game more accessible, but I always felt some characters, especially the ones that have the tools for everything, should at least be harder to use. There isn't even a need to use a lot of the moves in Dante's moveset outside of swag, due to how damage scaling works in the game.

Overall, I just prefer Marvel 3 Dante. The character felt better for me personally. I do like the addition of Fireworks as a normal, his air shotgun, and walking guns like the game. I just don't really care to use him in this game. I made it a point to explore Dante in every possible way in the previous game. Grapple resets, Acid Rain loops, Beehive ground bounce resets, various incoming stuff. I felt like the whole world opened up once I learned how to Bold Cancel consistently.

I might warm up to MVCI Dante with time, but not right now.

JayEH

I think the game has a lot of the same problems as SFV which is concerning regarding Capcom's current design philosophy.

Shouta

So is X considered ass now? No one's playing him (as I expected).

He doesn't fit the current way the game is playing more than him being ass. X's tools are kinda plain but they're pretty nice as it lets him deal with various areas in relation to him as necessary. Fire is used to cover above him. The slicer blades are great for above and in front of X. Boomerangs, Ice, and Buster for ground in front of him.

His biggest issues, to me, is dealing with rush down and having really short reach on his attacks. You gotta really know your opponent's characters and how they'll attack you to deal with it.

I do think he should have been a bit more interesting or the Armor of Light should have been way stronger for being an install super. It lasts awhile but it's not nearly as good as it should be for the cost.

DarkDreamTCK

Neo Member
MvC:I rant

Still tryna figure out why they gave Zero every tool that X should have had on top of his own, already broken moveset.

There's a huge problem when the sword fighter of the series can completely out zone and keep out the projectile based character of the series.

And the dude has double the specials that X has despite historically having half the moves in each game.

And Zero can charge his specials into other specials which X was known for since the first game, which Zero could NEVER do! Doesn't help that he can charge his buster while moving which he could only ever do in x3, which X can't do despite it being his thing in every game

And the icing on the shit cake, of all the weapons they could have chosen they gave X some of his shittiest weapons possible. Sonic slicer? Frost shield? Boomerang Cutter? Rising freaking fire? Are you kidding me?

Where's Storm Tornado or Homing Torpedo? Where's Spin Wheel or Crystal Hunter? What about triad thunder, tornado fang, or gravity well? What happened to lightning web, twin slasher, or freaking Soul Body? And that's all just much better options from X4 alone.

How you gonna put first armor over literally any other armor in the series? How you gonna make one of his supers a bigger charge shot instead of giga crush? How does special weapons rush even exist when it could have been a stored special weapon charger like Saki from TvC? Why can't he freaking move while charging his damn buster? Why did you guys give Zero every tool that he didn't need that was X exclusive that could have made X more unique?

I don't care about his tier placing. Honestly, I'd appreciate a bottom tier X that had more of what made him X than a god tier version of the bastardization they gave us. Just... Why.

Dahbomb

This grand final was godlike!!!! Cloud vs Sonic Fox.

Too bad GAF was down during it otherwise I would've been popping off here!

Power stone is MAD CHEAP!

IT'S MAHVEL BABAY! Sigma is GOAT tier!

It's gonna be great to discuss games again without being lectured about irrelevant social issues that I do not care about.

vala

Npd results:

Overall

1.Destiny 2*
2.NBA 2K18
3.Madden NFL 18
4.FIFA 18
5.Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle**
6.Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
7.Grand Theft Auto V
8.NHL 18
9.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
10.Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
11.Mario Kart 8**
12.Metroid: Samus Returns**
13.Pokken Tournament DX**
14.Overwatch*
15.Ark: Survival Evolved**
16.Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
17.NBA Live 18
18.Splatoon 2**
19.Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
20.Minecraft

Not too bad?
At least it sold better than Pokken... lol

Do you think they would have had more female characters of sexual assault wasn't so widely excused and covered up, like the owner of this forum tried to do?

ZeroCDR

Npd results:

Overall

1.Destiny 2*
2.NBA 2K18
3.Madden NFL 18
4.FIFA 18
5.Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle**
6.Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
7.Grand Theft Auto V
8.NHL 18
9.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
10.Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
11.Mario Kart 8**
12.Metroid: Samus Returns**
13.Pokken Tournament DX**
14.Overwatch*
15.Ark: Survival Evolved**
16.Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
17.NBA Live 18
18.Splatoon 2**
19.Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
20.Minecraft

Not too bad?
At least it sold better than Pokken... lol

Wow, seems positive. Outselling Metroid and GTAV after being released late into the month. Let's keep this train going through the holidays, the more they improve hopefully the better it does. X-Men DLC here we come?

*pokes head in*

Sales look to be maybe better than expected. That's good. As obvious as some of the cut corners are, I think the game deserves it. I honestly think it's one of the most innovative fighters to come out in a long time and with a balance patch or two and a slightly larger roster, it could be among the very best full stop. I'm loving the resurgence of tag fighters but MvC still reigns king.

Shame about this forum though...

J-Tier

I'll go wherever the key Marvel posters go, and stay where they stay. Heath, enzo, Neoxon, Rhaknar, etc (sorry, I'm not gonna list 20 peeps, though I love ya'll)...and yes, even Jawmuncher. Just let me know what to do, and I'll be there.

I'm also glad Marvel is selling relatively well. Hoping that bodes well for more DLC characters.

FSLink

Banned
wonder what the split was between the ps4 and xb1. pc sold like ass so it's not even worth mentioning.

I'm like 80th in the world on Xbox One and I played online for like a day. There's hardly anybody on it.

Hope to see you all wherever the community ends up going.

MrMephistoX

*pokes head in*

Sales look to be maybe better than expected. That's good. As obvious as some of the cut corners are, I think the game deserves it. I honestly think it's one of the most innovative fighters to come out in a long time and with a balance patch or two and a slightly larger roster, it could be among the very best full stop. I'm loving the resurgence of tag fighters but MvC still reigns king.

Shame about this forum though...

No shit the fact that this thread has what 4 posts since GAF re-opened tells me everything I need to know this is like popping into your favorite restaurant after a homicide. It’s still open but weird.

Some users re-created the OT here if anyone’s interested lots of Gaffers:

smurfx

get some go again
I'm like 80th in the world on Xbox One and I played online for like a day. There's hardly anybody on it.

Hope to see you all wherever the community ends up going.
what does number 6 on sept npd usually get you? 200k? 300k? if it's that much capcom might be able to eke out 500k over the lifetime of this game.

No shit the fact that this thread has what 4 posts since GAF re-opened tells me everything I need to know this is like popping into your favorite restaurant after a homicide. It's still open but weird.

Some users re-created the OT here if anyone's interested lots of Gaffers:
they already killed us once when they got rid of the weekly threads and sent us to community. i'll probably just pop my head into kappa every once in a while to see what people are talking about. it's not like i was that into the fgc lately anyway.

Piccoro

The more I play it, the more fun I am having with this game.

I've been practicing with Jedah/Hulk and I'm having good results on Ranked.
This game just "clicked" with me, much more than the previous MvC games.

Swmystery

Neo Member
No shit the fact that this thread has what 4 posts since GAF re-opened tells me everything I need to know this is like popping into your favorite restaurant after a homicide. It’s still open but weird.

So, I just thought the site was down for maintenance. Seriously.

Then I saw this and went looking and jesus christ.

Also, I think your link(?) is missing?

Yea, I actually saw the tweet here yesterday, but today it was gone.

If this is true, I hope that it will have an online mode also, like SFxT. Not just local.
I still need the X-Men characters to actually buy the game, but I've heard that the gameplay is quite fun though.

I hope that info is true, it would be a good step moving forward.

Top Bottom