• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

marvelous entertainment airing out grievances over wii game sales

Chumly

donny2112 said:
The Muramasa devs said that they had to make the game for Wii as they couldn't afford to do the visuals in HD on the budget they had. Where has anyone heard different?
I bet it was too expensive to only do on PS3/360 ground up and now Marvelous is going to fork over a few extra bucks to port it to HD. I mean what other game would it be??

Rune Factory??? The "harvest moon" fanbase is clearly on the Wii/DS

ARF ??? Would look like ass compared to other RPG's on the 360/PS3 and would cost a LOT more to make it look better

LKS ??? You cant tell me theres a massive "kiddy" fanbase on the 360/PS3

Reel Fishing??? Sure if they want to port shovelware

Muramasa makes perfect sense because it has to be the easiest to port and obviously marvelous wants to go after the "hardcore" fanbase of the 360/PS3 (Mind you it looks like they are just trying to get the same sales they got from the Wii version)

cress2000

donny2112 said:
The Muramasa devs said that they had to make the game for Wii as they couldn't afford to do the visuals in HD on the budget they had. Where has anyone heard different?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364427 - 6th quote down in the Muramasa interview.

“When we draw the graphics, we create them in high resolution from the beginning, and then shrink them down to fit the available memory when we convert them into game data.”

I'm not exactly pleased about this. :p

But this has happened before at MMV, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life being a notable example.

Perhaps it's Tree of Tranquility or Animal Parade?

Suda51 said that NMH was quite requested to be on PS3/360, so I think that is the game they're porting.

Oh well, at least the Wii got it built for the console specifically, so it's not like for this game that the Wii got the shaft.

Let's hope they don't add a truckload of new content, that never pleases an owner/future owner of a previous version you know? :/

Edit: But I'll jump on the Muramasa assumption as well.

Edit 2: Just a note, but hey, if the PS3/360 gets a Wii game, I'll take Innocent Life for Wii while we're porting games here! :lol :p

Hero of Legend said:
I'n not exactly pleased about this. :p

But this has happened before at MMV, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life being a notable example.

Perhaps it's Tree of Tranquility or Animal Parade?

Suda51 said that NMH was quite requested to be on PS3/360, so I think that is the game they're porting.

Oh well, at least the Wii got it built for the console specifically, so it's not like for this game that the Wii got the shaft.

Let's hope they don't add a truckload of new content, that never pleases an owner/future owner of a previous version you know? :/

It's very very very doubtful that it's NMH.
Suda and Grasshopper doesn't have the team available to be porting a Wii game to an HD console when they're already working on a PS3/360/Wii game and NMH2.

duckroll

@Hero: Do you really have to be such a fucking Wii fanboy? It makes you look really moronic. Like you're some drooling idiot who follows after Iwata's every step with a nappy to wipe anything he touches and smile like a creep whenever he looks at you.

Spiegel

28t886d.jpg

So it seems like PSP and DS are the main platforms for MMV now (in Japan).

duckroll said:
@Hero: Do you really have to be such a fucking Wii fanboy? It makes you look really moronic. Like you're some drooling idiot who follows after Iwata's every step with a nappy to wipe anything he touches and smile like a creep whenever he looks at you.

Just because I said that I wasn't exactly pleased? I wasn't insulting about it at all.

You don't see me in all caps cursing MMV now do you?

madara

AceBandage said:
I'm picking up Muramasa, King's Story and Arc Rise when they are out.
It's a shame that their games aren't selling more, but as they said, marketing plays a part in that.

Likely not has much as todays piracy.

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
Just because I said that I wasn't exactly pleased? I wasn't insulting about it at all.

You don't see me in all caps cursing MMV now do you?

I'm just saying you're about as predictable as a joke character. :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
So it seems like PSP and DS are the main platforms for MMV now (in Japan).

I'd say Wii is still getting pretty significant support, but yeah, its probably fair to say handheld is a major focus for them..which is probably the smart move.

duckroll said:
I'm just saying you're about as predictable as a joke character. :p

Yeah yeah, it's become a joke with me I'm well aware of that. :p

Well, I say good luck to MMV. It's most important that they keep kicking. :)

I agree though that LKS is a disaster waiting to happen on the PS3/360.

I say that NMH has the highest success rate of them all. Since it was quite the success on the Wii (well, for a MMV/Suda51 game anyway), it's not hard at all to imagine it doing even better on the HD platforms.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think Arc Rise Fantasia is most likely, Image Epoch could do the port them-selves. I hope there aren't too many licensed titles among the JP releases, but MMV might try to play it safe over the next year...

[Nintex]

I don't see how a Xbox 360/PS3 port will help MMV at all. They should improve their overseas marketing and distribution. Saying that Rising Star Games(MMV's publisher in Europe) sucks is the understatement of the century. You can't find MMV games on sale anywhere, a lost copy of No More Heroes is about all that can be found.

wrowa

jj984jj said:
I think Arc Rise Fantasia is most likely, Image Epoch could do the port them-selves. I hope there aren't too many licensed titles among the JP releases, but MMV might try to play it safe over the next year...
An up-port of ARF would be pretty expensive, though. The graphics need a rather big overhaul if they want it to look at least "okay" on PS360.

That said, I'm certain they port Muramasa. Since Vanillaware designed the graphics in HD it should be relatively easy to port that game.

[Nintex said:
]I don't see how a Xbox 360/PS3 port will help MMV at all. They should improve their overseas marketing and distribution. Saying that Rising Star Games(MMV's publisher in Europe) sucks is the understatement of the century. You can't find MMV games on sale anywhere, a lost copy of No More Heroes is about all that can be found.
Actually, RSG is owned by MMV :p And they don't suck at all. They need an eternity for the localization of some of their games, that is true, but they are publishing games that probably wouldn't be released in EU at all if it weren't for RSG.

Eteric Rice

This doesn't sound good for Nintendo.

They better do something. Would suck if the few good Japanese Wii games they have get ported off the system.

[Nintex]

wrowa said:
An up-port of ARF would be pretty expensive, though. The graphics need a rather big overhaul if they want it to look at least "okay" on PS360.

That said, I'm certain they port Muramasa. Since Vanillaware designed the graphics in HD it should be relatively easy to port that game.

Actually, RSG is owned by MMV :p And they don't suck at all. They need an eternity for the localization of some of their games, that is true, but they are publishing games that probably wouldn't be released in EU at all if it weren't for RSG.
With a little marketing, Rune Factory Frontier could've sold at least one copy, now it's released and no one knew.

wrowa

[Nintex] said:
With a little marketing, Rune Factory Frontier could've sold at least one copy, now it's released and no one knew.
In order to sell a copy they need to release it first... Which was supposed to happen this year but RSG quietly delayed that game to god-knows-when. But on the other hand we got LKS before Japan + America, we will get Muramasa this year, we will get Ju-On this year, we'll get Fragile next spring...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eteric Rice said:

They better do something. Would suck if the few good Japanese Wii games they have get ported off the system.

Hrm, no. For one I'm sure MMV realizes porting up to a console with a lower base probably wouldn't help them as much as putting that effort and money into good marketing and localization would.

For two, even if they did port their entire Wii library to other systems, it wouldn't matter much. The games are already on the Wii and have already done their thing as far as increasing the system's appeal in Japan.

Eteric Rice said:

I'm not sure how it's a bad thing, considering they're expecting even less from the PS3/360.

[Nintex]

wrowa said:
In order to sell a copy they need to release it first... Which was supposed to happen this year but RSG quietly delayed that game to god-knows-when. But on the other hand we got LKS before Japan + America, we will get Muramasa this year, we will get Ju-On this year, we'll get Fragile next spring...
By "get" do you mean 3 copies distributed to select retailers and another delay due to production problems? It's hard to recommend games that people can't buy.

Just getting on their list for PR material is impossible. When you contact the RSG PR guy this happens:
"We'd like to have access to PR material and if possible review code."
"Well there's a list with sites and magazines we send PR materials to, but I'm not feeling like changing the list right now."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AceBandage said:
I'm not sure how it's a bad thing, considering they're expecting even less from the PS3/360.

Which is why I'm wondering how they think they'll make money on this endeavor. It's gotta be Arc Rise Fantasia (for appeal) or Muramasa (for ease of porting.)

Andrex said:
Which is why I'm wondering how they think they'll make money on this endeavor. It's gotta be Arc Rise Fantasia (for appeal) or Muramasa (for ease of porting.)

It might not be a money thing, though. Could just be something to try and establish a franchise base for future games.

wrowa

[Nintex] said:
By "get" do you mean 3 copies distributed to select retailers and another delay due to production problems? It's hard to recommend games that people can't buy.

Just getting on their list for PR material is impossible. When you contact the RSG PR guy this happens:
"We'd like to have access to PR material and if possible review code."
"Well there's a list with sites and magazines we send PR materials to, but I'm not feeling like changing the list right now."
Well, I can only speak for Germany and here it isn't that hard to find most of their games. But well, RSG cooperates over here with other companies like Eidos and Nintendo (and these companies send the review copies, which makes things a lot easier :p) that could be the reason for that. But honestly, RSG line-up is full of niche games. They probably have a really hard time to sell their games to reatailers...

Cheerilee

Muramasa looks beautiful, and HD will make it even better. I welcome this change with open arms.

This is what Nintendo gets for dragging their feet on HD.

Eteric Rice

ruby_onix said:
Muramasa looks beautiful, and HD will make it even better. I welcome this change with open arms.

It's still coming to the Wii you know.

AceBandage said:

That does raise the question of "why bother"?

Another hint toward NMH, because wasn't that the only one we know of that had been requested to be on PS3/360?

I don't know. I say it's either Muramasa or NMH for their own reasons.

jj984jj

wrowa said:
I'm curious as to where you read that, it doesn't make sense. They made the graphics in HD and decided to downgrade it for Wii?

I guessed Arc Rise Fantasia because Image Epoch has expressed interest in HD development, unlike Kamitani.

ruby_onix said:

Wouldn't matter if the Wii was in HD or not, this is due to wanting a wider audience I suppose.

And of course, it's still coming to the Wii (out in Japan, later everywhere else).

jj984jj said:
I'm curious as to where you read that, it doesn't make sense. They made the graphics in HD and decided to downgrade it for Wii?

I remember reading it as well. I think the reason why either dev costs, or the sheer difficulty of doing HD sprites, then again, it's already high-res...

schuelma

Are we console warring over a single marvelous game?

really?

wrowa

jj984jj said:
The last time I read this was in this thread ;P Post 253 to be exact.

If the game is Muramasa, talk about stupid on their part. All it would do is pull away Wii purchases, just like how Capcom caused RE4 problems right before release. If they are going to announce the game soon, I suspect it to be NMH. NMH was their biggest game world-wide and it has been requested quite a bit. It's also nearly two years old.

So, I predict No More Heroes. Muramasa has potential, as does ARF.

schuelma

TheUnknownForce said:
If the game is Muramasa, talk about stupid on their part. All it would do is pull away Wii purchases, just like how Capcom caused RE4 problems right before release. If they are going to announce the game soon, I suspect it to be NMH. NMH was their biggest game world-wide and it has been requested quite a bit. It's also nearly two years old.

I'm thinking this is Japanese only, since if I'm reading things correctly there is more software coming to PS3/360 in Japan than in N.A.

TheUnknownForce said:

The thing is, who would be porting it? MMV doesn't really make games, and Grasshopper has their hands full...

schuelma said:
I'm thinking this is Japanese only, since if I'm reading things correctly there is more software coming to PS3/360 in Japan than in N.A.

Waaaaaaaaaait a minute, another clue!

The forecast shows 2 HD games for Japan, but one for NA by MUSA.

MMV said to Spencer that they'd like XSEED/MUSA to bring over Rainy Woods.

But Muramasa and NMH are not localized by XSEED.

I'd highly imagine this game being localized.

It ain't ARF, LKS, or RFF (this was an odd guess anyway). Since XSEED localized those, and they'd very likely bring over an HD version of those.

It could be a HM game, I don't know.

But those first three seem to be counted out due to the forecast.

The forecast ends on March 31st 2010, so there is the slight chance of this game being release after.

Just throwing in my two cents.

This doesn't make any sense.
Make original games for 360/PS3, but porting the existing Wii library won't make a dent sales-wise. I'd guess porting to PSP at least would be favorable.

The only logical choice would be Muramasa, though. That could sell *something* for PS3 in Japan. But, if they want to maximize sales, I'd wait till it's released on all regions before making an announcement.

NMH is too old, and why would the make NMH2 Wii-exclusive in that case?

Allan Holdsworth said:
This doesn't make any sense.
Make original games for 360/PS3, but porting the existing Wii library won't make a dent sales-wise. I'd guess porting to PSP at least would be favorable.

The only logical choice would be Muramasa, though. That could sell *something* for PS3 in Japan. But, if they want to maximize sales, I'd wait till it's released on all regions before making an announcement.

NMH is too old, and why would the make NMH2 Wii-exclusive in that case?

Maybe NMH is a test? MMV is the HD platforms' Capcom confirmed.

jj984jj

schuelma said:
Are we console warring over a single marvelous game?

really?
MMV announced they'll be porting one of their Wii titles to PS3/360. Wondering which game is going to be ported is "console warring" now?

really?

Top Bottom