• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers - Announcement Trailer

Ovech-King

Gold Member
They reaaalllly felt that pressure of a female character . Compared to the 4 guys she's totally boring power wise though

Saber

Gold Member
Looks interesting. Quite sad that they have to state the game has no lootboxes.

Also, is this game aways online or something?

Last edited:

sol_bad

It is silly to think the game would have the MCU actors or voices. It's not an MCU game. It's not set in or related to the MCU.
Just like PS4 Spider-man doesn't have Tom Holland.

MarvelsAvengers-TempHero.jpg

Oof.

Iron Man outcha looking like Angry Joe. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is silly to think the game would have the MCU actors or voices. It's not an MCU game. It's not set in or related to the MCU.
Just like PS4 Spider-man doesn't have Tom Holland.

Yeah, but the problem is that they went for the movie look.

I only liked Banner's face. The rest could use some work. It just feels off

Thor looks like a Skyrim NPC and Tony looks like Jeff Gerstmann

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
What's messed up is Chris Evans actually voiced Cap for the Captain America:Super Soldier videogame for 360 and Hemsworth voiced Kevin for the Ghostbusters VR game based off of Ghostbusters 2016......

So it's not like some of the actors won't do videogames..... I mean Hemsworth lent his voice for a fucking budget VR game and you can't get him to do Thor again
Maybe because they are expensive to hire, I mean by hiring all of them pro?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm seeing so many negative reactions elsewhere, but I don't get it, I think it looks fucking amazing. But then again I'm also seeing most of those same people complain about the trailer being "too white"

mrcyn

Neo Member
They reaaalllly felt that pressure of a female character . Compared to the 4 guys she's totally boring power wise though

If they force you to play as Black Widow, i'm out. I think one of the lego games has levels where you play as either her or hawkeye, and i just quit there. Dullest characters and powers.

Astonishingly bad looking game. I assume this is separate from the Ultimate Alliance thing coming out, right? Why on Earth would you intentionally make a licensed game that looks like the Skinemax parody of the movies? Just have it be, you know, comic book inspired rather than get a bunch of knock-offs to play the movie characters.

I bet that no one will talk shit about Ultimate Alliance 3's graphics now.

This Avengers game, looks 10x worse. And it's on platforms that are more powerful than the Switch itself.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
This was pretty underwhelming tbh. No gameplay, and the vibe seemed really off from what I’m used to for the Avengers. Just a lot more depressing and it seemed like the team had no chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aintitcool

Banned
Amen too SE for hiring the best voice actors in the industry.

You guys have no idea how aweful really casting mcu voices would be on production.

It would put them in a huge struggle to only record one week of VA and they would never be actually near one another making it unnatural and this is a teamwork based game.

Also I like the comic accurate faces.

PS: Marvels spiderman from ps4 cameo gonna happen as dlc or post credits scene.

Exact same art direction.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
The player models and everything look so odd. I call this game hot garbage. No idea why this game ads are everywhere. There is nothing good at E3. We new about Borderlands 3 way before.

2019 video games, besides BL3 there is not one worthy game worth $59.99 besides the same games that release yearly.

Meh, for me Star Wars and the FF 7 remake are the best games shown. And there’s still Nintendo tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity now and after knowing all this, this should've been PS4 exlusive just like Spider-Man. I mean, what the fuck? It's 11 years already and we still can't fucking play as Joker in Arkham Asylum!:messenger_pouting:

sol_bad

Yeah, but the problem is that they went for the movie look.

I only liked Banner's face. The rest could use some work. It just feels off

Thor looks like a Skyrim NPC and Tony looks like Jeff Gerstmann

When you say MCU look, do you mean costumes? Because they are not MCU based costumes.

This is Thors costume from 2009. 6 white dots on the front, the MCU was inspired by the comics. Thor in the game has gold/bronze highlights, not silver. His cape around the neck area is different, his shoulder pad, bracelets and boots all have different designs from the MCU designs. Mjilnor looks completely different.

Cap is wearing riot gear looking armour, totally different to MCU. Black Widow has had that type of outfit for decades, long before the MCU.

Hulk and Iron Man, they almost always look the same in all media.

Maybe because they are expensive to hire, I mean by hiring all of them pro?

I think they definitely could have gotten Hemsworth and Evans, I dunno about getting em all together since Downey Jr, Ruffalo have never done video game VA work. However you don't really need their voices specifically, just a sound alike.

For instance remember the old PS2 Lord of the Rings games, those used the images of the actors and they had some of the actors reprise their roles but not all of them.

checkcola

Its not even a matter of the movies. You also can look to Avengers cartoons and of course, the long running source material, the comics themselves.

Thurible

Honestly looks cool to me, though I need to see gameplay.

So they are going with a superheros are banned after a catastrophe sort of thing?

I liked what I saw. I think a bit of a tweak on the character's faces and whatnot would go a long way with the complaints I'm seeing from folks online.

Amen too SE for hiring the best voice actors in the industry.

You guys have no idea how aweful really casting mcu voices would be on production.

It would put them in a huge struggle to only record one week of VA and they would never be actually near one another making it unnatural and this is a teamwork based game.

Also I like the comic accurate faces.

PS: Marvels spiderman from ps4 cameo gonna happen as dlc or post credits scene.

Exact same art direction.

I expect this to be Earth 1048 and that Peter Parker to make an appearance, yes.

I also don't think the PS4 content is full on exclusive, maybe timed exclusive, but we'll see. Has any DLC ever been exclusive forever to a console?

My brain just cannot process hearing Nathan Drake's voice coming out of Iron Man's suit. And I friggin' LOVE Nolan North, it's just that after all these years of MCU, RDJ has staked his claim to that role and is genuinely irreplaceable. Really wish they could have moved heaven and earth to get him to voice Iron Man for the game.

gioGAF

Why does Black Widow look so ugly!!!!???
This shit right here. So sick of this stupid movement to have game characters (or any fictional character for that matter, ESPECIALLY females) be turned into a block of wood so it doesn't offend anyone. Black Widow is the ugliest one. Heaven forbid we set an unreal expectation on women while leaving generally chiseled men right where they are, smh.

As far as the game is concerned, if I had to guess, this will probably be a pass for me. SE would have to bring some serious WOW factor for me to bite on a games-as-a-service model, and I just did not see that here (still early I guess). All I got was a jaw-like-an-anvil Black Widow 🤮

On a positive note, this makes the Star Wars game look more palatable 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
When you say MCU look, do you mean costumes? Because they are not MCU based costumes.

This is Thors costume from 2009. 6 white dots on the front, the MCU was inspired by the comics. Thor in the game has gold/bronze highlights, not silver. His cape around the neck area is different, his shoulder pad, bracelets and boots all have different designs from the MCU designs. Mjilnor looks completely different.

Cap is wearing riot gear looking armour, totally different to MCU. Black Widow has had that type of outfit for decades, long before the MCU.

Hulk and Iron Man, they almost always look the same in all media.

The faces. The costumes didn't bother me

Bkdk

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. This industry feels like it's dying.

I think next gen will be the generation of nostalgic remakes, it will be a generation full of remakes and reinventing some old and nearly forgotten IPs. Even Blair witch is making a comeback lol. Game developing cycle has become so long that most devs simply won’t bother to design a new story and characters to save some time. I fully expect to see endless remakes next gen as flagship titles for companies.

Osukaa

Ughhh this game is so ugly.... Wtf whos bright idea was it to bring this huge property to such a developer who they knew couldn't do it justice. Square Enix dropped the ball hard on this property. I know it wouldn't ever be an exclusive game but damn i wish Sonys Studios had got the chance to do the property justice. If it turns out good ill eat enough crow to wipe the species out.

sol_bad

The faces. The costumes didn't bother me

The faces are ugly yes, they don't look like any of the MCU actors or any of the comic book based characters.
Black Widow is the damn ugliest and she is meant to have been a spy that used sex against enemies, I'm pretty positive that even after she became Black Widow in the comics she had still used sex to get things done. She needs a paper bag over her head with the current design, no one would fall for her sexy seduction techniques. Unless the enemy was drunk, but good luck to her waiting for all her enemies to fall drunk that she needs to coerce.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I'm not sure if it's cause I'm getting older but fuck CG trailers.

I want to see what the product is. I thought we were getting gameplay today.

Astonishingly bad looking game. I assume this is separate from the Ultimate Alliance thing coming out, right? Why on Earth would you intentionally make a licensed game that looks like the Skinemax parody of the movies? Just have it be, you know, comic book inspired rather than get a bunch of knock-offs to play the movie characters.
It looks good but character design look weird but people who expecting MCU cast then you should know those actors are A list Hollywood actors who gonna charge millions for their likeness alone.

So be realistic and don't judge game this early. Wait for gameplay nd all.

Injustice 1 also had weird looking characters but people still enjoyed it.

What's messed up is Chris Evans actually voiced Cap for the Captain America:Super Soldier videogame for 360 and Hemsworth voiced Kevin for the Ghostbusters VR game based off of Ghostbusters 2016......

So it's not like some of the actors won't do videogames..... I mean Hemsworth lent his voice for a fucking budget VR game and you can't get him to do Thor again
Chris Evans was not that big that time. His price has gone up now. Pretty sure there's a reason for not using them.

C Mon guy's. Yes the faces looks weird but everything else looks promising. So much negativity. . And that's coming from someone who dislike avengers and Hollywood blockbusters.

This is from a videogame that's 10 years old.

I'm sorry but what they showed what was primarily a cutscene with no gameplay so it's perfectly fair for them to get roasted for it based on what was shown.

Also I need to reinstall Arkham Asylum and City tonight............

Hinedorf

Banned
Kinda what I thought I'd be ending up with this in Square/Enix's hands. Looks fantastic and super generic. I'm a pathetic marvel fanboy and this is a hard pass for me.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
- The music is awful
- Oh Nat, how they messed you up
- Nathan Drake is Iron Man?
- Everything just looks bland
- Dead eyes and awful faces
- Even the gameplay snips looks bad
- Awful boring locations to boot?
- Fuck any exclusive content in 2019.

Seriously. You can licence the name and characters but then drop these ugly ass faces into the mix? This is Marvel, man. This would be like a Star Wars game coming out and Luke Skywalker voiced and styled by David Hayter - The guys great but he’s not Luke. The people who will want this game will want it to be like... The Avengers. You know, that multi-billion property? That’s your fan base.

The music, as well... it was beyond awful. It wasn’t even generic,’it was just... bland? Everything was bland? Plastic faces, on a bland plot...

But worst of all, me for personally? Exclusive content. Sorry but fuck any developer on any game still doing this. Full exclusive, a year, a month... just fuck off. That right there secured the fact they don’t get a dime from me for it. Even a week is horse shit but I can deal with that. Sorry but your product deserves to fail if you alienate more than half your player base into getting less content. You want to give a company exclusive content? Then give every other console version a discount.

disappointing_thor.gif

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm really surprised by the reactions in here. I thought the trailer looked pretty cool and about on par with the Spider-Man PS4 reveal.

I'm excited to see gameplay.

tryDEATH

I have seen the trailer, but didn't watch the conference was there any info if it was an open world game or a linear mission game?

Kadayi

Banned
Also, agree that the character models are pretty jarring in terms of dissonance. I suspect likenesses would have been insanely expensive (RDJ would have probably doubled their budget), but they could at least have put a bit more effort in versus these bland looking replacements. Also, the hair....the horror. :messenger_dizzy:

mcz117chief

Oof yeah, but Laura Bailey, man. All in for Laura as far as I am concerned. Her voice is like nectar, the sweetest nectar on the face of the Earth.

Kagey K

Banned
They dedicated 15 minutes to this, and couldn't even show gameplay?

This was my fav part, “come down and see us and we will show you gameplay behind closed doors” we can’t be bothered to show it on stage for actual people.

This went from one of my most anticipated to one of the biggest disspointments in about 3 minutes. It was everything I didn’t even imagine it could be in terms of how bad it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJK
Top Bottom