• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers Playstation Advantage Trailer. Sony ads salt to the wound!

The playing field is not level. If Microsoft did a better job competing with Sony as you say, they wouldn't get a "job well done," it would be seen as negative and gamers would hate that they are buying exclusive content and games.

I still remember how everyone lost their minds when Xbox made Tomb Raider a timed exclusive. They paid a huge price for that decision with the bad PR that came with it. I think that helped move them away from making similat deals. The gaming community desperately needs to do the same with Sony. It will only get worse.

Well Sony is already being declared as anti-consumer and out to destroy the competition. If Microsoft did the same people would say the same thing.

Maybe Microsoft should see Sony as a fierce competition and engage them more?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
It's time for Microsoft to finally reveal their ace in the hole. Sony may be giving you Spider Man but you'll only be able to exclusively play the greatest hero of all time in a Microsoft Xbox locked exclusive.......

Dazzler-Wide-Social-Share-400x209.jpg

DAZZLER!

The thing that bugs me about this is if Microsoft played this exclusive game like Sony they would have no chance because Microsoft has more money to burn than Sonys entire worth as a company.

Also, there would NEVER be a thread started here that praised Xbox for third party exclusivity like this. If there was it would be overrun by Sony fans who would rightfully crap all over it.

I know this site is extremely pro Sony but it would be nice to have more of a balance. I say that as someone who enjoys Sony and what they produce, but we need to be able to criticize when necessary. The title of this thread leaves little room for actual discussion. It is clear what you are looking for.
You must either be incredibly young or have a terrible memory.

Microsoft is the reason this practice is so prevalent today, and owes much of its Xbox 360 (and some XB1) success to it. GTA4, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, Titanfall 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc. are all examples of Microsoft paying companies to keep content (or entire games) off other platforms.

It wasn’t the first to do it by any means, but I can’t remember other companies boasting about it as openly and frequently as MS did.

That said, I couldn’t agree more with your final point.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Im playstation gamers but never like exclusive third party content like this

What a shame for anyone embracing stuff like this

For anyone getting this game i hope you enjoy it

I wont be taking part in any of this

Cyberpunk 2077 will be the last game i buy this year
The holier-than-thou attitude to what amounts to some post-launch exclusive content 😁.

"Assemble to playstation for the <<playstation advantage>> "
This just might be their new marketing campaign, after they lost the right to "powerful" etc.

Such marketing on multiplatform games could backfire though, if there are performance disadvantages down the road...

The thing that bugs me about this is if Microsoft played this exclusive game like Sony they would have no chance because Microsoft has more money to burn than Sonys entire worth as a company.

Also, there would NEVER be a thread started here that praised Xbox for third party exclusivity like this. If there was it would be overrun by Sony fans who would rightfully crap all over it.

I know this site is extremely pro Sony but it would be nice to have more of a balance. I say that as someone who enjoys Sony and what they produce, but we need to be able to criticize when necessary. The title of this thread leaves little room for actual discussion. It is clear what you are looking for.
Its cheaper to pay a company for a exclusive when you have 112m customers, rather than 60m. Xbox isnt Microsoft. Xbox dont have access unlimited access to daddy’s piggy bank. Microsoft is about to buy tik-tok for 20billion+.

Its cheaper to pay a company for a exclusive when you have 112m customers, rather than 60m. Xbox isnt Microsoft. Xbox dont have access unlimited access to daddy’s piggy bank. Microsoft is about to buy tik-tok for 20billion+.
on next gen though, they both start from zero customers, and they are limited (best case scenario) from how many consoles they can produce.
that's why jim ryan was talking about moving them fans faster than in the past.

xbox might not have unlimited access to billions, but I'd bet they have more than playstation. ms's internal reorganization of depts. as well as Satya's comments do point that way.
key is to invest wisely though

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
on next gen though, they both start from zero customers, and they are limited (best case scenario) from how many consoles they can produce.

xbox might not have unlimited access to billions, but I'd bet they have more than playstation. ms's internal reorganization of depts. as well as Satya's comments do point that way.

They should just make Minecraft exclusive if they wanted a near death blow.

I think the best way for that to happen is if Microsoft grows their fanbase. The mods could balance this site out more by just banning PlayStation but I don't think that's the right way to do it.
3ab8064801538ac45ac5cfde5004c853.gif

I've owned every single console from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in their time. At the age of 35 I bemusedly shake my head at people who think billion dollar (trillion in ms's case) tech corporations are their friends, but I don't believe in artificial echo-chambers of any kind.

Note, I don't think you were seriously suggesting this, but I'll wheel out that .gif at every opportunity.

Pallas

Well Sony is already being declared as anti-consumer and out to destroy the competition. If Microsoft did the same people would say the same thing.

Maybe Microsoft should see Sony as a fierce competition and engage them more?
hasn’t it been stated they’ve been more focused on Google, Amazon as rivals, competition? Not saying I agree with that philosophy but yeah ...

but on topic, this is pretty much a marvel version of Destiny? From what I’ve gather.

Last edited:
3ab8064801538ac45ac5cfde5004c853.gif

I've owned every single console from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in their time. At the age of 35 I bemusedly shake my head at people who think billion dollar (trillion in ms's case) tech corporations are their friends, but I don't believe in artificial echo-chambers of any kind.

Note, I don't think you were seriously suggesting this, but I'll wheel out that .gif at every opportunity.

Oh no I was just saying that if the fanbase grows then the forums em change. That's the correct way for this place to become balanced.

The only thing I want the moderators to do is keep the really nasty ones out. Those people don't contribute anything and they make everyone's lives miserable.

Last edited:
hasn’t it been stated they’ve been more focused on Google, Amazon as rivals, competition? Not saying I agree with that philosophy but yeah ...

but on topic, this is pretty much a marvel version of Destiny? From what I’ve gather.

I would love to see Microsoft go head to head with Sony instead of focusing on services like gamepass. They certainly do have the capital to do it if they manage themselves properly.

Playstation has more access than to daddys wallet than Xbox does. Since they make most of daddys money. Xbox is probably Microsoft’s least important business.
It doesnt matter that PS5 and XSX havent sold any boxes yet. Playstation is the leading platform. Most of the third party games are cross gen anyways. Plus right now Sony has Disney by the balls. They need to kill of spiderman from the avengers storyline in the MCU. They assumed if they basically replaced Ironman with Spiderman that Sony would be happy with just constant profits. But Sony doesnt give a fuck. They want control.

Pallas

I would love to see Microsoft go head to head with Sony instead of focusing on services like gamepass. They certainly do have the capital to do it if they manage themselves properly.
Yea but I don’t think that’s going to happen unless game pass becomes a abysmal failure and so far it’s not coming to that. Phil wants a Netflix version for gaming and XCloud with Game pass will make it possible.

Honestly I like the way that the Big 3 are going in completely different directions, and carving out their own profitable niches. I'm tired of gaming being Team Red, Green, or Blue with PC anarchists off to the side.

Lol... Really? You guys are bragging that this is a big deal? Its early access to beta (days), extra mmo type challenges (whoopie-doo), earlier access to outfits, and a playable character that will be out next year, after everybody has moved on to the next great thing. Jesus.. talk about grasping for straws.

Ar¢tos

Lol... Really? You guys are bragging that this is a big deal? Its early access to beta (days), extra mmo type challenges (whoopie-doo), earlier access to outfits, and a playable character that will be out next year, after everybody has moved on to the next great thing. Jesus.. talk about grasping for straws.
It isn't about the game being good (it looks generic and boring to me), it's about the message it sends.
Sony is all in this gen. Games shown running on PS5 dev kits, games showing RT, not afraid to buy any exclusivity deal to compete.
Playstation is the 2nd biggest profit maker for Sony (after the insurance business) and the other departments are having reduced profit because of the covid calamity (imaging and sensors, TVs, etc), so they need to bet even bigger on Playstation.
While with MS we haven't seen any game running on a devkit ( 4 months from launch) and we get mixed messages (the most powerful console! But we don't care if you buy it or not, you can keep the old console and play the same games... Or buy a pc, yes buy a pc and play them even better!).

Nico_D

All these emotions about a comic book character being in a game on game console people don't want to buy. I think people need bigger problems.

It bothers me that, for example, Planet Zoo is not on PS4 but what can I do about it other than swallow my disappointment and move on? I could buy a new PC that can run it but I don't want to. End of story.

At least there is Avengers game coming even though it is "inferior" on Xbox like the Laymen said. Kinda overkill there for them.

It isn't about the game being good (it looks generic and boring to me), it's about the message it sends.
Sony is all in this gen. Games shown running on PS5 dev kits, games showing RT, not afraid to buy any exclusivity deal to compete.
Playstation is the 2nd biggest profit maker for Sony (after the insurance business) and the other departments are having reduced profit because of the covid calamity (imaging and sensors, TVs, etc), so they need to bet even bigger on Playstation.
While with MS we haven't seen any game running on a devkit ( 4 months from launch) and we get mixed messages (the most powerful console! But we don't care if you buy it or not, you can keep the old console and play the same games... Or buy a pc, yes buy a pc and play them even better!).
I disagree. The generation is Sony's to lose. They know that MS can't compete with them globally.. hell MS knows they can't compete globally, hence their focus on the US and Britain. If Sony loses this generation it would have to be a bungle of epic proportion.

The humor to me is that people brag that meaningless things like extra challenges in a GAAS game or a playable character are a big deal or a statement. It's just more meaningless dumb crap like preorder bonuses that have zero impact on the game.

As for the MS not showing anything on their machines .. Its just another thing blown out of proportion on GAF. Like the claims by some that the RT label on The Medium website disappearing meant the xbox silicone didn't perform as spec'd. Its just fanboy dribble at this point.

Both machines will perform well but it will be the exclusives that set them apart.

trikster40

This just might be their new marketing campaign, after they lost the right to "powerful" etc.

Such marketing on multiplatform games could backfire though, if there are performance disadvantages down the road...

I would venture to guess that 90-95% of console gamers could give a crap about which system is more powerful. They stick with what they know and love.

PS1 being weaker than N64 didn’t stop it.

PS2 being weaker than XB and GC didn’t stop it.

360 (technically) less powerful (but flexed its muscle for like 1/2 to 2/3 of the gen) didn’t stop it.

Don’t get me started on Wii.

XB1 being weaker than PS4 didn’t stop it from still selling consoles (although MS bungling did).

Ask Sony what having the most powerful handhelds did for it against the Gameboy/DS juggernaut.

PS5 will do just fine. You don’t have to be all-powerful to still be fun. Games are games. Whoever’s got the better games Tends to win. By the time the extra 1.8 Tflops makes a difference, there’s going to be Pro versions of both consoles out.

I would venture to guess that 90-95% of console gamers could give a crap about which system is more powerful. They stick with what they know and love.

PS1 being weaker than N64 didn’t stop it.

PS2 being weaker than XB and GC didn’t stop it.

360 (technically) less powerful (but flexed its muscle for like 1/2 to 2/3 of the gen) didn’t stop it.

Don’t get me started on Wii.

XB1 being weaker than PS4 didn’t stop it from still selling consoles (although MS bungling did).

Ask Sony what having the most powerful handhelds did for it against the Gameboy/DS juggernaut.

PS5 will do just fine. You don’t have to be all-powerful to still be fun. Games are games. Whoever’s got the better games Tends to win. By the time the extra 1.8 Tflops makes a difference, there’s going to be Pro versions of both consoles out.
your view of things is a little distorted, but I'm not your father to be obliged to teach you.

on point, I never said that ps5 won't do fine, and more than fine as a matter of fact.
I said that if this is the marketing campaign "assemble for advantage", I can see it firing back.

I'm sure PS would happily trade performance disadvantages for software advantages, such as spiderman. Master Wait and Xbox will have to do without

trikster40

your view of things is a little distorted, but I'm not your father to be obliged to teach you.

on point, I never said that ps5 won't do fine, and more than fine as a matter of fact.
I said that if this is the marketing campaign "assemble for advantage", I can see it firing back.

I got you, I was just trying to iterate that by the time any “PlayStation advantage” becomes a disadvantage due to performance, it’s too late to backfire and most people won’t care. Totally agreed with your point though, should have stated that.

Top Bottom