• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy hands-on Preview

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If it's based off of the comics like ManaByte said why is it not based off of the DnA run that James Gunn literally took inspiration from?

Where is Mantis, Bug, Phyla-Vell, Moondragon? Don't look comic inspired to me bruh.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Not this again... I'm really sad that today people immediatly see lock-on systems as "easy" modes.
It just really depends on how the game was designed, a lot of games in the past, like ps2 era, used to be like this and had great gameplay. If the gameplay is designed with the auto-aim / lock-on system in mind, then it can be good, because the challenge / focus will be on your movements, ennemies patterns, combos and such, instead of aiming, I personally find this much more interesting than the usual cover shooter third person games...
My challenges can be movement + enemies patterns + combos and such + aiming. So big nope at that auto aim if not optional...

iHaunter

Graphics look good, they put in a lot of effort, but it just feels "Off." Kinda bizarre they didn't work with Marvel on getting the official character licenses... Still cringy. Oh well. Will watch someone streaming, not worth a buy from me, even half off.

Gamers 10 years ago: "Licensed movie tie-ins are garbage."
Publishers: "Ok we'll base superhero games on the comics now."
Gamers now: "No! I want it to be a movie tie-in!"

Before Marvel coming into the scene, superhero movies were absolute garbage. I don't want a tie in, but for most people, they don't know these characters from Comics. I'm not a big comic guy, but I love the Marvel movies. I'm assuming this is true for most people as these movies popularized these characters.

Edit: Also even among the comic book fanatics, no one gave a shit about the GotG until the movies anyway. They were insignificant.

Last edited:

iHaunter

That describes most of the MCU characters. But that's not a debate it rekindle in this thread.
My point still stands, majority of the superhero fans nowadays, are so because of the movies; furthermore they will not connect with these characters.

ManaByte

Gold Member
My point still stands, majority of the superhero fans nowadays, are so because of the movies; furthermore they will not connect with these characters.

Wasn't a problem during the Capcom fighter days. Hell people are demanding they re-release MvC2 and that doesn't have the actors from the movies in it. Or will people now reject that?

Drax, Gamorrah, and groot look great. Rocket looks passable. Starlord looks like a douche because of his stupid haircut. I'll buy it but hoping for some alt skins or a permanent mask option for starlord at least. Also, hoping the music is less generic orchestral music and instead includes licensed songs that would be on SL's walkman for fights.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Wasn't a problem during the Capcom fighter days. Hell people are demanding they re-release MvC2 and that doesn't have the actors from the movies in it. Or will people now reject that?
2D side scrolling fighter games vs full single player campaign are two different beasts.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Good preview, I think this is the type of game I would pick up for $25 or so. Price will drop in a couple of weeks.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Square Enix's first crack at a Marvel property didn't exactly go to plan, with Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game failing to live up to expectations, but with the promise of a single player narrative-driven action adventure title, Eidos Montreal's upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy game is looking much more promising.

It hasn't been that long since the game was unveiled, but its launch is almost upon us, and as we count down the days to when it's out and in our hands, here, we're going to talk about a few key details that you should know about the game.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm going to give this a chance and get it day 1 as long as reviews are decent enough.

Hope reviews drop before launch.

Certinty

Was there ever one bad "preview" to a big title? Serious question. Arent the most preview always very positiv?
To be fair though maybe it's just me but the gameplay in the previews actually looked really good, even the combat surprisingly which I thought looked really off from previous footage.

Ps5ProFoSho

For sure. In order to get Twitter coverage now it either has to review really well or be involved in system wars. Since it's multi-plat it has to be the former to get any traction. Be ready for Polygon or Kotaku to have an article like: "I Played Guardians of the Galaxy and... It's Actually Good?"
What's really going to get Twitter going is that Rocket and Groot are actually transgender lovers in the end.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone else thrown off by the new actors(not the movie), otherwise id be excited.

This is the same complaint people had with Avengers, yet for some reason people didn't have a problem with Spider-Man using original characters based on the comics. Hell, people threw a bigger fit when they tried to make Peter Parker look like Tom Holland in Remastered.

EekTheKat

I think I'd only be interested if you could break the Marvel formula so badly that everything can go horrendously wrong at the end.

If the choices in this game are down to choose your own quip and everything plays out the same then it's an easy pass.

But if teammates can Perma die, get angry and Perma leave and the whole story can end with a different team and multiple endings then I'd be super interested.

If it's a by the numbers Marvel Story straight from the Marvel sausage factory then no thanks.

Top Bottom