• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Review Thread

Nankatsu

Marketing was poor and no one understood anything about how the game plays. Even Karak mentions this in his review that the way the game was presented plus the whole Avengers thing plus being published by SE were huge red flags. That being said, just because critics call it good does not mean you or me or anyone else won't find the game trash unless ofc you're an idiot and you base your purchases and opinions on others opinions.

Marketing department in Eidos as seen better days to be honest. Just look at how it's marketing department killed Deus Ex series.

They legit didn't advertise shit for Mankind Divided. The game may have it's flaws, but the marketing for that game was practically a zero.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Marketing department in Eidos as seen better days to be honest. Just look at how it's marketing department killed Deus Ex series.

They legit didn't advertise shit for Mankind Divided. The game may have it's flaws, but the marketing for that game was practically a zero.

There isn't an "Eidos" marketing department, it's all Square.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Marketing was poor and no one understood anything about how the game plays. Even Karak mentions this in his review that the way the game was presented plus the whole Avengers thing plus being published by SE were huge red flags. That being said, just because critics call it good does not mean you or me or anyone else won't find the game trash unless ofc you're an idiot and you base your purchases and opinions on others opinions.

The marketing wasn't poor. Right from the start they said this would be a single-player adventure. But people decided to ignore that and shit up threads claiming it'd be just a "re-skin" of Avengers with the same gameplay. Despite them saying it's single-player and despite it being from a completely different developer. People used their ASSUMPTIONS to craft a false opinion on the game and now they're all either surprised that it's a great game or mysteriously silent after their Avengers 2.0 predictions didn't come true.

Swift_Star

Banned
The marketing wasn't poor. Right from the start they said this would be a single-player adventure. But people decided to ignore that and shit up threads claiming it'd be just a "re-skin" of Avengers with the same gameplay. Despite them saying it's single-player and despite it being from a completely different developer. People used their ASSUMPTIONS to craft a false opinion on the game and now they're all either surprised that it's a great game or mysteriously silent after their Avengers 2.0 predictions didn't come true.
The thirsty for SE to fail is real for a long time now. I'd rather these people just ignore the games instead of spreading negativity all over the place.

Swift_Star

Banned
Why are people saying the marketing was bad though? It's pretty clear from all trailers it's a single player game where you Control starlord and commands your partners to do stuff, not unlike Mass effect. Those not getting this were dumb or purposely obtuse just to spread negativity.

Lognor

Banned
Avengers is basically a MMO that needs players to survive.

This isn't.
Good point.

However, I was looking at Square Enix Europe's recently published games and ALL of them up until Outriders (day one release on Game Pass) have come to Game Pass as far back as Deus Ex Mankind Divided have come to Game Pass. The time frame on most of these were within a year of initial release, with the exception of Just Cause 2 which was around 2 years (!!) I think.

I know this is off topic, so I'll shut up about it, but I think there is a very good chance this comes to Game Pass by the end of next year. And other than Avengers, none of these games were MMOs, or the like. Even Outriders which is multiplayer, was not driven off of microtransactions. Avengers is the exception.

And I do hope this game does well. I don't want it to fail since it apparently is a very good game.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Exactly. That's why I never listen to the choir of haters on the interwebz - usually they are wrong - but always mad (or hurt?).
I'll probably pick this up when it's $30. Also gotta get that low effort mobile GTA Trilogy next month, for the enormous amount of $60 - released by the big bad Rockstar.

Haggard

Banned
I expected nothing from this game.
Now seeing all those reviews this might turn out to be a surprise hit for me.
Love it when that happens.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why are people saying the marketing was bad though? It's pretty clear from all trailers it's a single player game where you Control starlord and commands your partners to do stuff, not unlike Mass effect. Those not getting this were dumb or purposely obtuse just to spread negativity.
Have you ever considered that by calling anyone that disagrees with you on this dumb or purposefully malicious, and asking them to not comment in the review thread, that you are ironically spreading negativity yourself?

People changing their mind after reading reviews isn't negative. People thinking the game looks similar to the last team-based superhero game SQEX put out a year ago are not necessarily stupid or malicious. Maybe they just didn't get that much info from the way the game was marketed? I mean, I watched the two major trailers that came out recently, and they mostly focused on cinematics, the OST, and "humorous" one-liners. You kind of got a sense from the gameplay demonstration that you only controlled Star Lord, but that's about all I knew about it. I still basically had no idea how it actually played. I knew there's a few dialogue choices from the demo, but that's about it.

I think it’s that they marketed it in a similar way to Avengers at the beginning, causing a needless correlation between the two for people who don’t watch every video or keep up with the hype.

I was mildly excited for it and kept up; but I could definitely see where people wouldn’t and drop off. It’s like the PR team couldn’t see their way past the Marvel license and actually advertise the game itself on it’s own merits.

Last edited:

RCU005

This is surprising. The trailers made it look very average, and while the gameplay seemed somewhat fun, looked like nothing special. I wonder if this is going to be a game where critics praise it but gamers won't.

I hope the game is good, but it's not a game I'd get at launch. I expect to be pleasantly surprised when I get to play it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Ofc Square Enix was not going to repeat the same mistake they did with the Avengers, no one is that stupid. I can guarantee you if Avengers was a success Guardians would've had the same treatment regarding MTX, online, whatever else. and it would not be a pure singleplayer experience. I'm pretty sure Avengers started as what Guardians it is but greed and all that. Ofc everyone is surprised, they had tons of reasons to be wary of the product. Not everyone is an idiot that preorders or eats up corporate bs the marketing team puts to consumers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The development team wanted to release Spider-Man on PlayStation, but they had to go over to The Initiative and make Perfect Dark for Xbox first... 🍿
giphy.gif

The Spider-Man DLC is meant to coincide with the new Spider-Man movie being released in theaters. Because that movie has had to be delayed multiple times due to this thing called a "pandemic", the DLC is also delayed until the movie hits theaters. I still don't understand how that's so hard for some people to understand. It's almost like some people are ignoring that little detail on purpose to make hot take shitposts about it.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I want to get this after some trailers and now the reviews. I was debating far cry 6 but kind of the same far cry. Anyways I'm working until Thursday, and off Friday and Monday. This will give me time to decide if to get it on PS5 or Series X. Looks so good.

I never pay full price, but this has me turned around a bit - expected it to be awful, but love GOTG, and I’m literally about to play the final Borderlands 3 mission and this would fill a gap until FH5 quite nicely.

Must resist buying it tonight!

Also, OT but Borderlands 3 was treated massively unfairly IMO - great game. I waited two years to play it because of all the moaning. Loved it just as much as the first two (haven’t played the Pre Sequel).

Last edited:

KiteGr

I'm pleased to see that it's nowhere near the trash I expected. I'm rarely wrong with my expectations, but I'm glad I was this time.

I still don't like the design of Starlord though...
He looks like he's about to ruin everything by revealing a major misconception and the history behind it.

TrebleShot

Single player, linear experience sold me on this.
As much as people moan, the open world fatigue has set in and exasperated in the recent years with the likes of the many Ubi games.

COD campaigns have become something to look forward to because of this and I just D/L this game based on what its all about.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The development team wanted to release Spider-Man on PlayStation, but they had to go over to The Initiative and make Perfect Dark for Xbox first... 🍿
Not that I care (I have XSX and I uninstalled The Avengers anyway) but I would think there would be some legal liability when they blatantly sold the game with the promise of exclusive SpiderMan DLC in the spring 2020. Kind of false advertising.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Lots of things happened. Like what specifically?

I don't know. Maybe this thing called a "pandemic" that caused everything to shut down and major movies to be delayed. The Spider-Man DLC was always meant to release along with the new movie in theaters.

Humdinger

Happily surprised at the reviews. I was not expecting this -- a fun, linear, SP action-adventure game with good writing. Go figure. I'm glad they're still making these games. I won't be able to get around to it right away, but I'll probably pick it up within the next few months.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Saw this game was going to be $30 on Black Friday at Target. I believe that will be the right price for me to purchase it.

Cyborg

The game is amazing and I'm at chapter 4 Hahahhah.

Question; the game got an update (with Ray Tracing) whats the best mode to play? Quality/Performance or RT?

Markio128

The game is amazing and I'm at chapter 4 Hahahhah.

Question; the game got an update (with Ray Tracing) whats the best mode to play? Quality/Performance or RT?
I can’t answer that question, but I am playing on PS5, using the RT mode, and it looks great and runs smoothly.

Iced Arcade

Been saying it forever now. Square needs to sell off the Eidos studios so they can get the attention they deserve.

Best thing that happened to hitman was IO cutting ties with square

Last edited:
Top Bottom