• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans |OT| Fridays on ABC | Losing Faith Inhumanity

I feel bad for the actors. They were probably so excited that they were becoming a part of the Marvel universe. Then it's Marvel TV. Then it's this.
At least they still have a shot at getting casted for a Marvel Studios movie playing a completely different character.

I'm going to watch it with some whisky drink in my hand and crying out loud remembering the time this was gonna be a high budget movie...

berzeli

Banned
I'm not going to watch this.

Sigh. I'm watching this. With wine probably.
My liver is going to hate me.
(but not as much as I will hate the show).

NoName999

I don't know why you guys are hate watching this. Nielsen ratings doesn't differentiate between people who actually enjoy watching something and masochists.

Do you WANT to give this show a second season?

Boem

This is how you make an OT. Love that cast section.

I'm really curious to check this trainwreck out, but man I don't know if I want to spend 2 hours doing it. Maybe the next time when I have some friends over and we want something to laugh about.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Did...did you make up those episode names?

I pulled screenshots of the first four straight from ABC's press site for this epic television event.

They haven't listed the last four episode titles but I have to assume they all have ellipses, too.

Holtz

Didn't bother with Iron Fist, won't bother with this. But i'm sure reactions in this thread will be great.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
First MCU thing I am intentionally not watching.

Iron Fist was pretty bad, and worse it was boring, and by all accounts this is even worse. No thanks, I'll be back at the end of the show in case something happens that would impact Agents of SHIELD and I need to know about it.

jph139

I will absolutely be "watching" this while doing any number of significantly more important things.

I'm mostly curious to see if anyone even tries. Like, I can stomach crap like Iron Fist and Supergirl because I like the properties and the cast is giving it an honest effort, even if the show around them lets everyone down. But it sounds like even the cast was phoning this one in?

Hopefully Maximus gets to ham it up at least.

I'm going to do my best to forget about it, and when it moves to Netflix after it wraps up, I'll groan and hate watch it. Or, hopefully, it never goes to Netflix and I just forget about it entirely.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Violater

I'm sure we have all watched worst series.
The fact that it got cancelled right out the gate puts a damper on things though.
Is the story line at least wrapped up in the single season?

Pachimari

Of course I'm in it for the whole run, and I'm okay excited about it tomorrow. Something to watch during the weekend.

The fact that it got cancelled right out the gate puts a damper on things though.

Not saying that it won't but it haven't been officially cancelled yet. What some pundits was talking about was the "complete series" which described the season, when it's usually "complete first season."

When marvel studios I hitting their stride, Marvel TV is jumping down the garbage shute. Iron Fist was ass, The defenders is as mediocre as Thor 2, and this show looks like hot doo-doo. Punisher looks kinda mediocre too. Sad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
On the positive side, the titles being a nod to Kirby's run is a nice touch. Iron Fist used Kung Fu techniques as episodes titles, if memory serves right. So Buck has nailed down the lost art of episode titles lol

The critics can't stop raving!

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/09/29/553704965/introducing-the-inept-inert-inhumans

To make something from a Marvel concept this blithely, wonderfully and resolutely weird demands time and budget and — maybe most of all — commitment, and none of those three things showed up to set. There's no scale, here: Everything's hedged, hemmed-in, cramped. The script feels like a first, place-holdery pass. The sets and costumes (and in the case of Medusa, the wigs) seem rushed, flat, devoid of texture.

That's not about the design, but the execution — what should be one character's quarters in Attilan's huge cosmic space palace, for example, looks more like a Boca timeshare. You keep looking for the wicker dolphin.

And the acting? Hoo boy.

The main characters are fine. Swan improves immeasurably once she's allowed to get her knuckles dirty; as the forbidden-to-speak Black Bolt, Mount scowls and scowls and scowls, but once on Earth he gets to throw in the occasional affronted eyebrow-pop. It may not sound like much, but compared to the show's alarmingly wooden bit players, dude is liquid mercury.

(As the show's many ancillary characters deliver their lines, you'll wonder just what exactly they're doing, and why. And which producer they're related to.)

The slapdash approach evident in every aspect of production ends up mattering hugely, leaching color and life out of even the moments that work, and poisoning the ones that don't. There's a flashback involving the discovery of young Black Bolt's powers, for example, that's shocking in theory, but hilarious in execution. It's meant to strike a tragic note, but the result is emotionally closer to "Yakety Sax."

http://mashable.com/2017/09/29/marvel-inhumans-review-abc-imax/#PQXeQ0P.nqq4

It's clear that the actors are trying to make the best of the clunky material they've been saddled with, but showrunner and writer Scott Buck has doubled down on all the things you hated most about Iron Fist, the last Marvel property he attempted to adapt (to great critical scorn): Slapdash, poorly choreographed fight scenes; uninspired visual effects; overwrought dialogue; and heroes so devoid of charisma, you're rooting for the giant CGI bulldog to channel Game of Thrones and chow down on all of them.

Unfortunately for Buck and director Roel Reiné, setting the show in a beautiful natural environment like Hawaii isn't an acceptable substitute for establishing a distinctive visual style, and forcing your leads to word-vomit expository dialogue isn't commensurate with character development.

https://www.vox.com/fall-tv/2017/9/29/16381662/inhumans-review-marvel-abc

In the mid-’90s, there was a surprising rise of TV shows in the network syndication space, spurred by the success of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess (the latter of which, at least, is a genuinely fun show).

These shows — basically none of which you will remember, so I won’t make a big list of them — were cheap. They had to be produced quickly and at little expense because the companies creating them were primarily making money from selling them to local TV stations, which would stick them on the air in the middle of a Saturday afternoon and hope people would be too tired to change the channel. You’d watch some low-budget fantasy or sci-fi adventure and wonder how it ended up on the air.

The production values on these shows were often quite low, even when compared to something like Xena. The sets and costumes and effects were glaringly fake, and the film stock was often flat, with poor lighting only serving to make everything feel as if it had been filmed on the set of The Price Is Right between takes.

The acting was just as flat, from performers who clearly knew this wasn’t their first choice of roles and also clearly knew the show probably wouldn’t be around very long. Occasionally, a performer would spark, but the Lucy Lawlesses of the world — actors who could find a way to have fun no matter how cheesy the material — were few and far between, and whoever was directing these programs didn’t particularly care to force them to engage. Scenes would often feature bland, affectless work from performers who seemed as if they’d rather be anywhere else.

And the writing! The writing was almost always riddled with clichés and characters saying exactly what they were thinking or feeling. There was only telling; very little showing. Scripts would repeat the same basic points, over and over, as if viewers were unable to understand the point without having their hand not just held, but squeezed so tightly that all circulation to their fingers was cut off.

These shows were bad, but at least nobody really spent too much money on them. Making a TV show that fits the description above and then trying to tie it to a massive cinematic superhero franchise that dominates our popular culture — while also spending lots and lots of cash to create, say, a giant computer-animated bulldog who interacts with the characters (but whom you shuttle offscreen as quickly as possible in order to save some money), well, that would be a really stupid thing to do, wouldn’t it?

rakhir

At least it sounds like he didn't phone it in with the rest
Yeah, I don't think people will blame the actors for any of this. I mean, how can anyone blame Serinda Swan, for instance, when they made her wear that shit? And Ken Leung did great stuff in other series. They will be ok.

Oh right, this.

I dunno. Even as a big Marvel stan that has consumed everything MCU-related to date, I may not find time for this. This should never have happened. It could have been an Agents of SHIELD season 5 subplot handled by a pair of much better showrunners.

Critics sure are raving tho!

So wait, do the characters really refer to each other by their superhero names in this? Like "Black Bolt" instead of "Blackagon"? It's like the exact opposite of the other Marvel properties where they refuse to ever use peoples' superhero names.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh right, this.

I dunno. Even as a big Marvel stan that has consumed everything MCU-related to date, I may not find time for this. This should never have happened. It could have been an Agents of SHIELD season 5 subplot handled by a pair of much better showrunners.

Critics sure are raving tho!
As I said at a previous thread, AoS will go down as the better Inhumans show.

And mind you, the whole alpha primitives thing was rough.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So wait, do the characters really refer to each other by their superhero names in this? Like "Black Bolt" instead of "Blackagon"? It's like the exact opposite of the other Marvel properties where they refuse to ever use peoples' superhero names.

The recent Black Bolt comic actually handled this perfectly, exactly how a TV show or movie should.

Black Bolt is in a cosmic super prison because of blah blah blah mistaken identity and tells one of the prisoners his full name, full on deadpan. The other prisoner burst out laughing but Black Bolt is stoneface cause he doesn't realize what's ridiculous about it.

Ricker

isnt that Medusa hair false marketing?

This is the only thing so far that I really hate from all the previews and trailer...her hair,thats suppose to be awesome, looks just awful...everything else is not making me not want to watch it...the dog looks good and so on...not saying it's going to be a great show and if it really sucks i'll eat crow but so far,I'm in...

Top Bottom