• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ignoring that movies and tv shows are not the same and shouldn't be compared, BvS also had great cinematography and special effects. The acting was at least decent and sometimes good. The plot and writing were bad, but as a piece of visual media, it still succeeds at some things.

I refuse to call bvs cinematography good when it's completely ineffective. Good cinematography is more than "looking Pretty". It's about using visual story tell to further the narrative and themes of the movie. Bvs utterly fails here. Of course the director also takes blame

No? Danny literally tells them about the
"dragon" that judged him worthy of the Iron Fist. It was a reference of how he's been living in K'un-Lun, which is so far removed from the modern world they are currently in, and that he needs to wake up.

when does he say that?

I refuse to call bvs cinematography good when it's completely ineffective. Good cinematography is more than "looking Pretty". It's about using visual story tell to further the narrative and themes of the movie. Bvs utterly fails here. Of course the director also takes blame

OK fine, but it's more than just pretty implies that it's at least pretty. That is still better than Iron Fist does anything.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm glad Daredevil didn't come to help out Danny, would've been awful to see him go through the poor choreography lol

as good as daredevil is compared to the other shows...he does have the advantage of having a mask on. it sounds like charlie cox got a lot more time to train and might have been more hands on with the role and stunts but is there any indication of how much of that stuff was actually him and not a stunt double?

like were those long take fight scenes him or someone else under the mask?

as good as daredevil is compared to the other shows...he does have the advantage of having a mask on. it sounds like charlie cox got a lot more time to train and might have been more hands on with the role and stunts but is there any indication of how much of that stuff was actually him and not a stunt double?

Lol from seeing him go on the punching bag in the first episode (or was it?), I can definitely say that those long takes are for sure, no doubt, 100%, not him.

They could have put a mask on for Danny...

He explains it more than once, and to different people where he's been and how he gained his flashlight hand. I don't know what's so hard to understand with the scene that has the dialogue you mentioned.
i thought it was supposed to be pretty much a direct reference to Thrones and the lack of seeing a dragon because of the budget. I didn't get such form of dialogue anywhere unless I missed it

Sanctuary

i thought it was supposed to be pretty much a direct reference to Thrones and the lack of seeing a dragon because of the budget. I didn't get such form of dialogue anywhere unless I missed it

I'm not going to watch a bunch of episodes to get the exact dialogue, but I seriously doubt it was some overt reference to a Game of Thrones comment that Jones made in an interview regarding the effects in Iron Fist. The scene you are talking about is simply about how Danny is pretty much trainwrecking shit, because he has no idea how things actually work in the modern world, especially in business. Them simply talking about a dragon made sense, because Danny had been telling everyone about it...

Plus, he has a giant dragon tattoo on his chest, and they even have heroin packages with a perverted version of his symbol on them.

Episode 8
This stakeout in all black clothes in broad daylight surely doesn't look conspicuous. Especially since every one of the bad guys knows who they are.

I lol'd at the JJ shoutout.

Edit: a drug den takes all of its employees out to lunch simultaneously?!? That's... convenient.

Edit 2: omg the plan was to honk loudly from right outside if anyone came by? What even is this sequence?

I'm not going to watch a bunch of episodes to get the exact dialogue, but I seriously doubt it was some overt reference to a Game of Thrones comment that Jones made in an interview regarding the effects in Iron Fist. The scene you are talking about is simply about how Danny is pretty much trainwrecking shit, because he has no idea how things actually work in the modern world, especially in business. Them simply talking about a dragon made sense, because Danny had been telling everyone about it...

Plus, he has a giant dragon tattoo on his chest, and they even have heroin packages with a perverted version of his symbol on them.
it was a post on GAF I came across about a direct reference it was supposed to be on Thrones, I guess that person was mistaken

L00P

You know, for a show that's called "Iron Fist," there's an awful lot of scenes with business people, corporate deals and investor's meetings. Am I wrong to expect a lot more kung-fu and less contract-signing?

I am just in episode 4 right now though so what do I know

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just finished and it was okay. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It has problems and a lot of them. But as bad and often cheesy as it was I still had fun with. I can't say I was ever really bored even though the Meachum family drama did drag sometimes. Danny himself was hit or miss but his supporting cast was rather strong. I liked it about as much as the other Netflix series.

Dynomutt

You know, for a show that's called "Iron Fist," there's an awful lot of scenes with business people, corporate deals and investor's meetings. Am I wrong to expect a lot more kung-fu and less contract-signing?

I am just in episode 4 right now though so what do I know

No you are right. Their is way too much focus on the company. If anything this would have made a great family business drama! Wallstreet meets Kung Fu is what it ends up being.

sleepykyo

Episode 8
This stakeout in all black clothes in broad daylight surely doesn't look conspicuous. Especially since every one of the bad guys knows who they are.

I lol'd at the JJ shoutout.

Edit: a drug den takes all of its employees out to lunch simultaneously?!? That's... convenient.

Edit 2: omg the plan was to honk loudly from right outside if anyone came by? What even is this sequence?

Phone conveniently slipped the seats.

This episode was pretty awful.

One issue I've got is that Danny says he was chosen to be Iron Fist, because of his dedication and training etc etc... But yet he doesn't really seem that committed to being the Iron Fist.

It'd be a bit more interesting if he was born to be the Iron Fist, but was fighting against his destiny. Perhaps taking more of an interest in assuming control and direction of Rand as his get-out excuse. Instead he's just floating about, telling people about K'unlun and monks and dragons and spouting a load of nonsense that sounds like something Phoebe said in Friends once, but then not really giving a shit when it comes to it.

Admittedly I'm on about Ep 7 so perhaps he bucks his ideas up in the 2nd half of the season. (And this is all just procrastination as pointless filler, ala JJ/DD S2)

Easiest way I could describe this series would be a 4 episode long plot stretched to 13 episodes.

Worst Marvel series/season I've ever watched on TV, ABC and Netflix included.

ryan299

Only saw reviews for the first half, can't imagine how bad they are for the second half. I enjoyed the first half. Wasn't great, but wasn't as bad as the reviews say.

The second half was terrible though. Such a mess

Realeza

Banned
Debating if I should watch this. Some people think Dardevil S2 was dogshite after Elektra showed up. I thought it was mediocre, but watchable. Some thought Luke Cage was jizz-worthy, but I thought it was entertaining but certainly nothing special.

Based on that, how will I feel about this?

LotusHD

Banned
Debating if I should watch this. Some people think Dardevil S2 was dogshite after Elektra showed up. I thought it was mediocre, but watchable. Some thought Luke Cage was jizz-worthy, but I thought it was entertaining but certainly nothing special.

Based on that, how will I feel about this?

The mediocre, the "nothing special" part, that's the entire season, as opposed to the other shows where it'd be a few episodes or the 2nd half that was lacking.

Hopefully Defenders gives us a Russo Bro/Winter Soldier-style revival of Iron Fist

Yea, that's the one silver lining here, that things definitely can be better, that it can only go up from here.

What are the redeeming factors? For Luke Cage for example it was Cottonmouth and the whole art/music direction.

None. The protagonist is bad, the antagonists even worse, the plot doesn't go anywhere at all for around 9 episodes, the choreography is terrible (they managed to botch even a classic corridor scene).

Xion385

What are the redeeming factors? For Luke Cage for example it was Cottonmouth and the whole art/music direction.

5472159-3603070599-tumbl.jpg

LotusHD

Banned

Consensus seems to be that Colleen is pretty cool. I myself wouldn't mind watching her star in a spinoff. Admittedly it's ultimately because the rest of the (new) cast is so bad that it makes her look better by comparison overall, but yea, she cool.

Music-wise, completely forgettable. Art/style/thematic-wise, it is sorely lacking compared to the other shows. Like I could diss Luke Cage for its 2nd half all day, but it still had a clear visual identity to it.

Other than Colleen, I dunno tbh, show is very skippable, the protagonist is extremely stupid, etc.

No endearing/charismatic villain to look forward to either. Doesn't have fight scenes that are anywhere near on par with Daredevil either to help you overlook the poor writing.

Lol

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The mediocre, the "nothing special" part, that's the entire season, as opposed to the other shows where it'd be a few episodes or the 2nd half that was lacking.

Yikes, I watched the first episode last night and it was REALLY boring and the show looked very amateur. So Iron Fist never improves from that for the rest of the season?

I think I'm going to stop with episode 1 and not continue then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A quarter of the way through and it's good, not great; closer to "Arrow" in feel than the other Netflix series.

Finn's naivete is warranted considering he never got a proper adolescence and was raised in a completely different society. That moral clash is one of the better things about the show, and I think they've done a good job at having it wear away at him incrementally. But it feels like they never go into his past enough which is clearly the most interesting thing. It's like it's held over your head the entire time and you're never given enough to satiate your needs. Same goes for the action. His fights in the first episode were exceptional and sublime, and then.. nothing close to that in every subsequent episode.

Ward, Joy and Harold are all fantastic so far. Great actors and their writing is good. Ward sometimes comes off a bit more incompetent because of convenient writing to add drama but he's probably my favourite character.

Colleen is definitely the weak point thus far. Her fights suck and her storyline is kind of hard to identify with because there isn't much exposition on her, just stuff around her.

I love rap, but the choice of music is jarring and doesn't fit most of the time. I think this prevents it from establishing a cohesive tone.

LotusHD

Banned
Yikes, I watched the first episode last night and it was REALLY boring and the show looked very amateur. So Iron Fist never improves from that for the rest of the season?

I think I'm going to stop with episode 1 and not continue then.

It kinda improves slightly? As others have said, I guess one way you can look at it is that it is consistently ok, not good or straight-up bad, just okay. But then you get to the end, where I then realized "Oh shit, this is how we're ending this huh...", "This is the main villain huh..." and then eventually it's over, and now you definitively know your time has been wasted as the payoff was in no shape or form worth it.

deim0s

Ending question:
What made Joy finally flip out on Danny? Davos, i understand completely, its just like in the comics... Is it the dad-secret-lie or Danny returning screwed their lives and at Rand?

LotusHD

Banned
Ending question:
What made Joy finally flip out on Danny? Davos, i understand completely, its just like in the comics... Is it the dad-secret-lie or Danny returning screwed their lives and at Rand?

I think that's what we're all trying to figure out lmao

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lol well that escalated quickly. Ep 7
Harold makes iron fist sex toy joke --> Danny makes unintentionally funny comment about not being able to summon the iron fist because he ran out of chi --> coleen asks him to show her. He can't. Has sex with her.

NimbusD

So far through 2 episodes, I kinda like it. The acting is a little dodgy in places, but I think it's pretty good so far.
Same here. It's entertaining. I don't like where it's going with the big bad, marvel tends to do this, build up the charisma of the bad guys then get rid of them and introduce new ones you don't care about.

Again I haven't actually seen much, just two episodes, but I feel it's hinting at that heavily.

doop_

Banned
I know i talked shit in the review thread but...I think this is my favourite of the Defender's shows. I realised i never truly enjoyed the others but i am actually enjoying this one.

Thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Dat move at the end.

Best Marvel show by far. It wasn't boring at all which helped vastly. The others have had this problem.

Top Bottom