• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Netflix straight up no longer giving a fuck.

PfPb3DH.jpg

klhwCfS.gif

Worth pointing that this video in unlisted for a reason.

This is the reuploaded video, with corrected sound editing.

It's still not exactly stellar (it certainly doesn't change the choreography or camerawork), but it is an improvement.
Of all the stuff marvel has done Iron Fist is the one where it was the most necessary for them to make the combat stellar, instead I get this shit that looks like it came from a really bad S4 episode of Arrow, smh.

When white people think Chinatown, they think gift shops, pawn shops, dry cleaners, and restaurants. Which is fair because that's where all the tourists go and where the foot traffic isn't.

When I think Chinatown, I think throngs of middle-aged and old ladies with tiny carts on the sidewalk crowding around produce bins in Chinese groceries and markets.

Oh man.

I don't if that's worse or the fact that there's only 4 cast members worth advertising to them.

They must think it's stereotypical to have Chinese people in Chinatown or something.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It just gets better and better as we get closer to release. The movie and TV show scene are so seperate to each other it's staggering.

denx

The only Marvel Netflix show I've enjoyed is Daredevil. I gave up on Jessica Jones and Luke Cage about halfway through, those shows got boring quick. I'll most likely skip Iron Fist entirely, I don't have any hopes for this show.

milkham

that street is way too clean, i don't believe there are any actual pawn shops in chinatown and no chinatown gift shop would have a sign that nice

TheOddOne

Thanks, Trump.

- Radiotimes: Finn Jones thinks he knows why critics hate Iron Fist – and it has to do with Trump.
"I think the world has changed a lot since we were filming that television show," he said. "I’m playing a white American billionaire superhero, at a time when the white American billionaire archetype is public enemy number one, especially in the US.

"We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one."

He insisted that while reviewers have only seen the first six episodes, it will take the whole series and the Marvel follow-up The Defenders to truly understand Danny.

"Danny is a fish out of water, and you don’t really understand where he’s coming from," Jones said. "But I think there’s also a level of intrigue. People need to see the full series – Iron Fist doesn’t end until the last episode of Defenders. He really goes on a journey of self-discovery, and grows into the role. It’s paced out; it’s a long journey."

KonradLaw

I hope this gets second season and so will Inhumans. Just so that we can keep Scott Buck be too busy with Marvel stuff when Showtime inevitably ressurects Dexter ;D

TheOddOne

I hope this gets second season and so will Inhumans. Just so that we can keep Scott Buck be too busy with Marvel stuff when Showtime inevitably ressurects Dexter ;D
You know you fucked up when your lead hasn't even watched the finale.
“Liked it? I don’t think I even watched it,” he says of the finale, which aired last September. The once-gripping saga of the nerdy blood spatter analyst (spoiler alert) ended on a flabbergasting note, with the death of Dexter’s adoptive sister Debra; his self-exile from his kids, his job, and Miami; and his transition into a new career as…a lumberjack. Hall chooses his words carefully when discussing his feelings about that last episode. “I thought it was narratively satisfying—but it was not so savory.”

“I think the show had lost a certain amount of torque,” he says. “Just inherently because of how long we’d done it, because of the storytelling capital we’d spent, because our writers may have been gassed. Maybe some people wanted a more satisfying—maybe they wanted a happy ending for him, either a happy ending or a more definitive sense of closure. They wanted him to die or something, but I think the fact that he’s sort of exiled in a prison of his own making is, for my money, pretty fitting.”
Scott Buck, people.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"I AM NOT A VIRGIN! MANY WOMEN HAVE BEEN TOUCHED!"

Ok, I gotta admit that's actually an interesting angle for a character. Millionaire playboys turned vigilante are a dime a dozen, but none are virgins. The show has to thread the needle because the setup is a fish out of water action show. If Danny is this spiritual guy, it might come off as annoying if he's giving advice to people in a world that he doesn't even understand. Him being a virgin would be a good way to pump up that naivety so he isn't just lecturing people.

I don't know if it's something I'd want to see for Danny Rand but hey, could make the show a little different.

Blader

Ok, I gotta admit that's actually an interesting angle for a character. Millionaire playboys turned vigilante are a dime a dozen, but none are virgins. The show has to thread the needle because the setup is a fish out of water action show. If Danny is this spiritual guy, it might come off as annoying if he's giving advice to people in a world that he doesn't even understand. Him being a virgin would be a good way to pump up that naivety so he isn't just lecturing people.

I don't know if it's something I'd want to see for Danny Rand but hey, could make the show a little different.

Bruce Wayne?

For a while, anyway.

TheOddOne

- Paste: What Went Wrong with Iron Fist?
Then, there’s the look of the show, in particular its action sequences—typically a strength for Marvel’s Netflix series. Where the studio’s other shows have an almost cinematic style, Iron Fist has more in common with broadcast dramas of the same ilk. The cinematography and choreography are not unlike what you’d find in a typical genre entry, with their speedier production schedules, on one of the major networks—Arrow, perhaps, or ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. That’s not to say it’s bad, exactly. It just feels rushed when compared to the attention to detail we’re used to from Netflix and Marvel’s prior collaborations. The fight scenes are also forgettable, which is not a good thing when your hero is supposed to be a kung-fu master. Oh, and the “Iron Fist” at the heart of it all? It’s… not great. Basically, it’s a glowing yellow fist that looks like it’d be more at home in a B-level sci-fi movie.

There’s one bright spot. Jessica Henwick’s live-action take on comic character Colleen Wing positively steals every scene she’s in, and she easily has the most interesting character trajectory of anyone on the show. Seriously, she’s great: Henwick brings both nuance and glorious badassery to the role, and Iron Fist is almost worth checking out just to see her performance—and to wonder where Wing might end up by the end.
- Washington Post: ‘Iron Fist’ packs a punch that occasionally misses.
If you’re expecting mind-blowing martial arts (and who wouldn’t?), you may be better off watching the first season of “Daredevil,” which, at least for now, is the superior show when it comes to fight choreography. Jones comes off a little stiff with his moves, but finally kicks things up a notch when threats start to come from the Hand, “Iron Fist’s” secret group of villains.

There are plenty of good things about the show. Colleen Wing (Jessica Henwick) fights alongside Danny, and may make some wish that she was the Iron Fist. Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) continues to be the link between all the Netflix/Marvel shows and will more than likely be the person to introduce Danny to the other “Defenders.” Madame Gao (Wai Ching Ho), who also stars in “Daredevil,” continues to show that she has the power to take down a hero in front of her with one hand, but always chooses to observe before striking. The rare moments where she displays that strength in “Iron Fist” are always fun.
- Village Voice: Light on Chi: The Tragedy of Marvel's "Iron Fist".
The most troublesome character is Colleen Wing (Jessica Henwick). She's pretty much a greatest-hits version of the Strong Female Character, all flash but no real development. Her supposedly badass comebacks and fight scenes might seem profound whittled down to brief social-media posts, but in the episodes they're lifeless. She displays incredible rancor and maybe even a death wish, given her proclivity for tournament-fighting men twice her size, but the underpinnings of this anger are never explored.

Iron Fist even makes one of the gravest mistakes a martial-arts story can: The fight scenes are middling.
During the third episode, Colleen gets a showcase rumble at an underground fight tournament.
It's hard to get a handle on the fight given the quick cuts and alternating perspectives, which highlight rather than distract from the poor choreography. The best fight scenes aren't just visually inventive feasts demonstrating the limits of the human body — they inform our understanding of characters like the heroes of John Wick: Chapter Two, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Enter the Dragon. Iron Fist doesn't do either. The cinematography by Manuel Billeter is remarkably flat and lackluster, and the flavor and color of New York, so often a vital part of Marvel comics, is completely absent.

nded

Of all the Marvel series available you'd think the one starring a dude in a mask known for his martial arts prowess would go all in on fight choreography and trained stunt doubles.

caliph95

It's funny that a mask could fix the martial arts problem which they refused to do even though they have a good reason for him to wear a costume.

Top Bottom