• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Dat move at the end.

Best Marvel show by far. It wasn't boring at all which helped vastly. The others have had this problem.

Did we watch the same show?

Also what
move at the end? It ended with the worst fight in the series.
And that is ACTUALLY saying something here.

This is the first Marvel show that I hope it doesn't get a season 2. Make it "Heroes for Hire" style if you really need another season (because Luke at least will be able to carry it), but don't waste more time with it. Even Moon Knight would be better

Pachimari

I finished Episode 6 and started Episode 7 and the fight choreography is just really bad, and too slow. Still not as bad as in JJ and Luke Cage but you can't not notice it. I also don't think I liked the whole
tournament thing
and why were some
American thugs considered The Hand now
? It seemed really strange. I thought they were largely
Japanese/Chinese based on Nobu and his army and Madame Gao.
Also, was that
spider lady the Bride
? She was damn cool.

RangerX

Banned
Some of the dialogue in episode 4 is laughably bad. How did this script get okayed. I mean
Danny meets Ward's dad and says "your dead, I've seen pictures". This coming from a guy who is trying to prove his identity after being presumed dead in a plane crash. A few minutes later when talking about the hand Dad Meechum says "They're like the illuminati, only real".
This gone into straight awful territory this episode.

Sir Doom

Episode 4. You know you lose your viewer when you start getting annoyed with the protagonist. Seriously the decisions of the main is just stupid

fucking boyscout

I honestly think I hated this series,
Colleen is the only thing I legitimately loved about it.
It finally felt like it was turning around but the last few episode were like "LOL, nah"

Pachimari

I quite liked Episode 8. Liked how the three of them went on this trip, but the coolest thing was that fight
against the drunk defender

I'm loving all of the Meachums and company stuff.

Episode 4. You know you lose your viewer when you start getting annoyed with the protagonist. Seriously the decisions of the main is just stupid

fucking boyscout

Yeah, episode 4 just about made me drop the series. Unless the series is going to be ultimately about them, I shouldn't care more about a side character's story than I do for the main lead that's supposed to be a fucking superhero. Seriously, every scene Wing has been in has me 10x more interested than the main plot line.

Thats given but I thought her acting was pretty good all things considered and her plot was far more interesting.
yeah her acting was good. everybody's acting was fine except for Ward's, he seemed pretty emotionless a lot of the time and his delivery sucked too - but as I said before that's not entirely his fault coz the dialogue just sucks in this show

While I don't think it is as bad as the reviews make it out to be, it was still at the bottom of all four shows.

It's the definition of meh to be completely honest. I mean the best fight scene is
on a old video

I actually didn't think Finn was as bad as I thought he would be, but I think Ryan Phillipe would have been my pick as that early rumor suggested.

Also a different show runner as well.

Overall, I'm still excited for the Defenders and with one of the show runners of DD season 2 behind it, I hope they make Danny look a lot better when it comes to the fight scenes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
While I don't think it is as bad as the reviews make it out to be, it was still at the bottom of all four shows.

It's the definition of meh to be completely honest. I mean the best fight scene is
on a old video

I actually didn't think Finn was as bad as I thought he would be, but I think Ryan Phillipe would have been my pick as that early rumor suggested.

Also a different show runner as well.

Overall, I'm still excited for the Defenders and with one of the show runners of DD season 2 behind it, I hope they make Danny look a lot better when it comes to the fight scenes.

did they only audition white guys with curly hair? haha...should have cast justin timberlake then. with his dance experience maybe he could get the flow-y kung fu movements down.

Blackhead

Redarse
What are the redeeming factors? For Luke Cage for example it was Cottonmouth and the whole art/music direction.
5472159-3603070599-tumbl.jpg

Fuck no. I rage-quit after episode 7 but my friends soldiered on so I ended up hearing the rest in the background.Colleen's characterization is all over the place and the episode 10
hand twist
just belabors the point. Was she trained by her
grandfather as Gao said or the Hand
? Why the fuck is she fighting for
money to maintain the dojo instead of just asking for funds/collecting a paycheck from the Hand since she's apparently good at her job of funneling trainees to them
? If she's trained
by the Hand why's she feeling guilty about feeling good fighting and not keeping her emotions in check?

The actress is alright but some of the lines are so bad that nobody could make them believable. There's that epic fail in episode 13 where
after Claire gives her speech why Danny shouldn't kill Howard then Colleen decides to jump in with her own mini-speech only to end with "which is why I have to kill Howard for you"
I did a double take and had to ask for a skip backwards just to confirm with my eyes if she really spit out that shit. The only appropriate response is as Claire does; throw up your arms in frustration.

uiw0Ufy.jpg

The only redeeming part of this show is when Claire tells those fucktards that they need to get serious professional help

Pachimari

What the hell at Episode 9. A
truth serum
was the best they could come up with? To me that's kind of poor writing. An easy way to just lay out all the answers for the viewer. And damn at that
revival of Harold Meachum who just can't die
. I'm also slowly getting tired of all the quotes the characters seem to be spewing. Honestly, the writing need to get much better for a Season 2. And is that
Steel Serpent
?

Ward Meachum is the best character on this show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Some of the dialogue in episode 4 is laughably bad. How did this script get okayed. I mean
Danny meets Ward's dad and says "your dead, I've seen pictures". This coming from a guy who is trying to prove his identity after being presumed dead in a plane crash. A few minutes later when talking about the hand Dad Meechum says "They're like the illuminati, only real".
This gone into straight awful territory this episode.

I remember this lol. That got a "Really?" out of me.

It's not as bad as everyone says but the series takes a huge hit on Episode 8.

I accepted this would be the weakest series. I was okay with all that.

But Episode 8, my God starts of like zzzzz.

I haven't finished Ep 8 yet, but its first half is bad

Rasario Dawson's acting quality took a nose dive

I'm tapping out after 8 episodes. I just don't care. This show has me butt hurt, I just completely hate it :(

I did this too lol, I even skipped to like the last 15 mins of the last episode. Felt like I missed nothing anyway.

I don't think there was a single redeemable thing (Other than maybe colleen) on this show. Don't give this a second season unless they dramatically change who will be running it. I just hope Danny works better in the Defenders. This show felt like a parody of the other Netflix Marvel shows in some spots.

Perineum

It is absolutely the weakest Marvel NetFlix show by far.

Luke Cage = Daredevil
Jessica Jones (Saved by David Tennant)
Iron Fist

Sucks, because Iron fist was my MOST hyped of these, and Luke was my least.

He should've had the costume at some point in this, they should've thrown in Luke or Daredevil to help him out at some point for a few tag team episodes, the plot was predictabo to the max, and aside from the Hatchet men fight the action was whack.

I want a season 2, but they need to go WAY deep to fix what they are doing here.

SliChillax

Just saw the first episode and I didn't hate it. Didn't love it but it was interesting enough. Should I keep going? Does it get better?

I recently watched Headshot and that probably made this series look even worse in retrospect.

The only thing I could think after all those cuts during Iron Fist fights was this:

De1I0Pb.gif

The one
inside the hospital while searching for the x-ray
had so many cuts I almost got dizzy.

I still cant get over that 14% on RT, hilarious. worse than BvS lol

I watched both and I wholeheartedly agree that BvS was better.

Perineum

Just saw the first episode and I didn't hate it. Didn't love it but it was interesting enough. Should I keep going? Does it get better?

If you liked the other Marvel NFX shows, and want to know this character's purpose for when they put out The Defenders (which is what this is all building up to), then yes go on.

If you are just looking for a good show on NetFlix, try The OA instead. It's hard to recommend this as a big fan of the Iron Fist comics, and just a fan of in general good shows. This is a tough romp unless you are really dedicated.

The actress is alright but some of the lines are so bad that nobody could make them believable. There's that epic fail in episode 13 where
after Claire gives her speech why Danny shouldn't kill Howard then Colleen decides to jump in with her own mini-speech only to end with "which is why I have to kill Howard for you"
I did a double take and had to ask for a skip backwards just to confirm with my eyes if she really spit out that shit. The only appropriate response is as Claire does; throw up your arms in frustration.

i thought i was the only one cringing at that

Finished it today. I would put it on or with Luke Cage. I think both had serious flaws but I think Cage probably had better highs with Cottonmouth but certainly lower lows with Diamondback and the last 3-4 episodes. Iron Fist was just consistently mediocre, but I still enjoyed it. I think it needed a better scriptwriter and the fight choreography was really inconsistent. If they brought in the guy from DD to help for season 2 I think the fights scenes would be infinitely better.

Also about The Hand,
is it just me or is The Hand in IF super bitchmode compared to what DD fought? What happened to all the crazy ninjas suppressing their heartbeats and breathing? Gao was a bit easy for Danny to get to imo, and I suppose it makes sense that Bakuto was surrounded by trainees.

Finished it today. I would put it on or with Luke Cage. I think both had serious flaws but I think Cage probably had better highs with Cottonmouth but certainly lower lows with Diamondback and the last 3-4 episodes. Iron Fist was just consistently mediocre, but I still enjoyed it. I think it needed a better scriptwriter and the fight choreography was really inconsistent. If they brought in the guy from DD to help for season 2 I think the fights scenes would be infinitely better.

Also about The Hand,
is it just me or is The Hand in IF super bitchmode compared to what DD fought? What happened to all the crazy ninjas suppressing their heartbeats and breathing? Gao was a bit easy for Danny to get to imo, and I suppose it makes sense that Bakuto was surrounded by trainees.

Yeah, Nobu would have worked IF.

They wasted more than half of the season
chasing Gao
when that should've been dealt with a lot faster. But after wasting
the first two episodes with the mental hospital plotline
I guess they had nothing else to do.

Dynomutt

Honest question for people who seemed to like it what was the last show/film based on martial arts or fighting that you watched?

Everything aside what would you give the fighting alone sans effects?

Honest question for people who seemed to like it what was the last show/film based on martial arts or fighting that you watched?

Everything aside what would you give the fighting alone sans effects?

I've watched everything Marvel and DC have done. There's no doubt in my mind it's a step below DD and a most of the MCU films in recent years (Winter Soldier was probably the best in my mind). I haven't been a huge fan of Martial Arts films historically so that might be why I didn't mind the (even to me) noticeably weak fight choreography.

nOoblet16

This show has been quite lame so far, dude considers Ward and Joy family they don't but at the same time they hate him but don't really hate him. One episode Ward sends his henchmen, the other he's telling Danny to be careful. One episode Joy doesn't give a shit the other she does. Danny himself is an idiot and so gullible lol

Also about The Hand,

A lot of The Hand was defeated in Daredevil Season 2. Not to mention there are different factions within The Hand. Nobu had a different faction than Gao but they worked together. Bakuto is also a different faction that doesn't seem to like the rest. Nobu and his faction were more or less wiped off the map in Daredevil S2 at the end so Gao just has her small group.

To be honest Danny doesn't even really know his full abilities yet so they can't really put him against extremely amazing fighters out of the gate. He'd lose. Next season or during Defenders he'll be able to use two fists at the same time and for far longer.

KarmaCow

The show has such a haphazard tone. The way it cuts between Hand ninja shit and family/boardroom drama is bad enough but them random fights get old kung-fu movie zoom ins and split shots. I guess they're trying to hide how bad the fighting actually is but it's so inconsistent that it makes it stick out even more.

Zafir

yeah her acting was good. everybody's acting was fine except for Ward's, he seemed pretty emotionless a lot of the time and his delivery sucked too - but as I said before that's not entirely his fault coz the dialogue just sucks in this show

I thought Ward's acting was fine for the character really, when you consider his personality and his problems. Especially (mid-late season spoilers)
during his more psycho parts after overdosing then detoxing/killing his dad for the first time.

Fundamentally I think it's more of a writing problem more than anything.

They wasted more than half of the season
chasing Gao
when that should've been dealt with a lot faster. But after wasting
the first two episodes with the mental hospital plotline
I guess they had nothing else to do.

Frankly, I think
Gao is at least a good villain
so I'm not even mad at that.

(end spoilers)
Harold and Bakuto were just handled so poorly. Bakuto didn't have any development at all, and thus I had no real reason to give a damn. Harold was done better in the sense that you saw his craziness throughout the series, but he only really got one episode to actually be a proper villain.

Doran902

I like this show, on episode 5. So far its a watchable 7/10. I loved Luke cage until about episode 8 or 9 and then it fell off a cliff for me. Hoping this show doesn't go that far off even though the first half of Luke Cage was much better.

Finished it. Actually liked it well enough. Enjoyed it more than Luke Cage which I found just boring most of the time.

Only thing I didn't like was the
lol they go to "China"
episode. (7,8?) that whole thing was hella stupid.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Finally finished watching this.

And although it wasn't as awful as the reviews made me expect, it's definitely very mediocre at its best.
I do guess all those rushed and production rumors were true, as it does feel like *everything* was either first draft, first take or whatever and they kept going because they had an unmovable release date.

Also, besides the crappy writing, action, etc, I'm super pissed that [Ep 6]
they totally ruined the Bride of Nine Spiders
, and [Ep 12]
Davos lost his fight against Danny, lol

Finally, Ep 6 is the only one with character and unique vision, they should let the RZA direct more episodes if there is a S2.

Seems pretty accurate to be honest. Heck, the
M&Ms scene
would have been too silly even for Snyder.
But to be honest, BvS does have a scene like that.
Martha & Martha

You would think it would be at least as good as Daredevil but instead it is in Agents of Shield
AoS [spoilers for all season, but doubt you'd care] shits on this from the high heavens.
Seriously.

Finishing up episode 7.

Why does this show spend so much time on Ward. Are we actually supposed to care about him at all?
Well, he's the only character in the show with an actual arc.

Episode 6
Why would the Hand challenge Iron Fist to honorable mortal combat with stipulations? When searching for Elektra and DD, didn't they just send like 40 ninjas to kill them in their sleep? Why would Gao let him live after breaking the honor part of the duel? None of this makes sense.
Different branches of The Hand.
Also [later episodes]
it's implied that Gao might be something else. I'm betting on her being Crane Mother, she uses the Steel Serpent icon after all.

I think that's what we're all trying to figure out lmao
Pretty much, that made 0 sense.

Did we watch the same show?

Also what
move at the end? It ended with the worst fight in the series.
And that is ACTUALLY saying something here.
I'm guessing
it's the Falcon Punch shockwave.

Had they kept the Fraction/Aja origin, he could've totally played Orson.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Finished it. Actually liked it well enough. Enjoyed it more than Luke Cage which I found just boring most of the time.

Only thing I didn't like was the
lol they go to "China"
episode. (7,8?) that whole thing was hella stupid.

And then
I guess they flew back to New York and went back to the dojo, all while transporting a tied-up Gao?

Top Bottom