• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudcrab

D9EgC0U.png

ym1peto.png

Spoiler Policy

Discussion of new issues (including all tie-ins) on the Wednesday of their release should be tagged. The following Thursday spoiler tags will not be needed for discussion of events that have already happened in released books. This gives everyone the opportunity to download the comics or visit their local comicbook shop without being spoiled on new comicbook day and prevents the OT from being nothing but black bars.

Always tag any previews, reviews, or leaks of unreleased issues or their plot points.

Always tag covers that have not been officially released by Marvel.

When in doubt use spoiler tags to be safe.

As such this OP contains open spoilers for everything up to Secret Wars #1. Consider yourself warned.

rbNs1VP.png

Marvel’s Illuminati, a secretive group of Earth’s most intelligent and important heroes, have discovered the multiverse is dying as a result of Incursions. Incursions are the unnatural collision of two universes with their respective Earths as the point of contact. Only destroying one of the Earths can prevent an Incursion from annihilating both universes. In their attempts to hold off the apocalypse for a little while longer, the Illuminati have used deception, the impossible, and the unthinkable.

A schism eventually occurs within the Illuminati over their methods leaving Namor to form the Cabal to continue the grim task of killing worlds. The Illuminati's actions are eventually revealed to Captain America who assembles the Avengers to arrest them for their crimes. As the Avengers hunt their former allies, the Cabal is left free to continue planetary genocide.

Click each issue for a download link at Comixology!

The world is very different 8 months after Steve Roger's discovery. The Illuminati's actions are public knowledge and they find themselves being hunted by SHIELD and the Avengers, all while the Cabal's continued destruction of worlds becomes officially sanctioned by desperate world leaders. The price for the Cabal's services is no less than Wakanda and it is gladly payed. The Golden City is destroyed and what little remains now serves as the Cabal's staging ground. Worse still, Doctor Strange is missing and Tony Stark is held captive by Black Swan who soon admits that she is not who she claims to be. Namor's control over the group quickly collapses and he soon petitions Doctor Doom for help. Namor leaves Latveria with nothing as Doom is no man's second choice. Doom reveals he has added one of the most powerful beings in universe to his cause, Owen Reece, the Molecule Man, and as a result has formed his own plan to prevent the early end of everything. Meanwhile Valeria Richards concludes that there is no winning, it's time to figure out how not to lose.

Robert DeCosta, also known as the X-man Sunspot, meets with Cyclops in Nation X to discuss the Incursions. Scott agrees that it is time for his involvement and confides to Sunspot that the Nation possess a Phoenix Egg and intends to use it. On the other side of the multiverse Thor, Hyperion, Starbrand, Nightmask, Abyss, and the Ex Nihli are searching for the cause of the Incursions and soon engage in battle with the Black Priests. Despite losing many Ex Nihli, the Multiversal Avengers soon gain the upper hand until the priests' leader intervenes. The leader unmasks himself as the missing Doctor Strange who explains that he came to command the priests some time after his vanishing. Doctor Strange tells the group that the Incursions are the result of a war between the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal, the great destroyer. Each also have their agents. The Mapmakers serve the Ivory Kings and the Black Swans are Rabum Alal's fanatical disciples. Strange and the Multiversal Avengers agree to simultaneously confront the two warring parties in an attempt to end the crisis. On Earth, the Avengers engage the Illuminati in heated battle until the intervention of Sunspot and Cannonball's New Avengers who have come together to help the two factions come to terms. The Illuminati, with the exception of Black Panther, eventually agree to surrender themselves to SHIELD. Namor's final act of freedom is to trap the Cabal on an Incursion world as an anti-matter bomb detonates but before he can make his escape, he is attacked by Black Panther and Black Bolt. The two kings leave Namor to his fate as the planet is destroyed behind them.

The Ultimate Universe is also dealing with the Incursions, though it does not have an Illuminati, or a Cabal, or Avengers to defend it. All that stands between Earth 1610 and annihilation is Ultimate Reed Richards now calling himself The Maker. Lacking any moral resemblance to Earth 616's Mr. Fantastic, The Maker is extremely proficient at killing worlds easily outperforming the Cabal while maintaining the absolute secrecy the Illuminati could not. Reed coincidentally encounters the abandoned Cabal who managed to escape the doomed Incursion Planet with Namor in tow. They quickly agree to join forces against all other worlds that stand before them including Earth 616. Things may not reach that point as back in 616 the other civilized powers in the galaxy have learned of Incursions and that destroying Earth will prevent more from occurring. Their solution is to simply destroy the Earth via orbital bombardment.

Things somehow get worse.

Hank Pym returns from his mission with impossibly bleak news. The Ivory Kings, better known as The Beyonders are undoing reality in a wholly different way than Rabum Alal and his Incursions. These all-powerful gods are killing the multiverse one abstract concept at a time and there is no stopping the structural collapse that follows. The Multiversal Avengers unfortunately also learn the truth of what they face. Similarly, Doctor Strange and his priests launch an assault on Rabum Alal's stronghold quickly finding their effort pointless. Rabum Alal, the Great Destroyer, is none other than Victor Von Doom and he is responsible for the Incursions.

Doom explains to Doctor Strange that the Beyonders had originally intended to destroy the multiverse in one single instant by simultaneously detonating the immense power within all existing Molecule Men like a bomb. Owen Reece, 616's Molecule Man, became aware of their plan and convinces Doom to help thwart them by prematurely murdering as many multiversal Molecule Men as possible. Reece's power combined with Doom's knowledge of time-travel allows them to go into the past to begin the great culling. Years of killing Molecule Men creates a multiversal disturbance resulting in the first Incursion. Only afterwords does Doom create the persona of Rabum Alal and recruits his Black Swans to help accelerate the slaughter. After 25 years Doom launches hundreds of thousands of collected Molecule Men corpses at the Beyonders, but the bomb fails as it detonates incorrectly instantly destroying countless universes leaving only two dozen surviving. On Earth, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark settle all debts with one last fight as the others decide to build an ark to survive in the empty white space left between destroyed realities, but first one last challenge must be met before they can make their desperate escape.

The main Marvel Universe now faces its final Incursion against the Ultimate Universe. Earth 1610 wastes no time and immediately fires the first salvo promting 616 to muster its superpowered community in response. Now there is only Secret Wars:

(Click each issue for a download link as they release)

yUdLFIW.png

Beginning with issue #2 the majority of Secret Wars will take place in Battleworld. Following numerous incursions across the multiverse, the remains of various realities have been fused together to create a new Battleworld. All of these realities are known as domains and have the ability to interact with each other, except for three (consisting of the Deadlands, Perfection and New Xandar) which are separated from the rest by the Wall for the simple fact that these domains contain threats that if set loose, would destroy all the others. A number of tie-in comics will detail the domains, their battles, and the people who live there.

Click the map for domain descriptions!

The Secret Wars tie-ins:

As a tip to you and everyone else overwhelmed by the number of issues in the OP: No one in their right mind is buying every single issue of this event.

The main story will be collected in Secret Wars #1-8. You can just buy those and be fine. If you're a Spider-Man fan then check out some of the Spider-Man books, but do it for the character and not because you want more background on Secret Wars.

Please also see this guide for more info on the tie-ins:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/05/secret-wars-7-things-you-need-to-know-to-read-marvels-big-event

pdjifC5.png

Last Days issues feature your favorite characters in their final adventures before the Marvel Universe comes to an end. They will expand on moments either briefly seen or not glimpsed at all in the main series, allowing one last look at the past before the Marvel Universe moves forward.

oB5kRzF.png

zQwOmBO.png
6kY0kgW.png

cQfs9xh.png

BECYEV5.png
hMRFHaS.png
CGIpCHH.png
WQviZMj.png

qnJ6TWY.png
EOVL94W.png
BIKPWSK.png

kM7jXV6.png
D1KqrFR.png
3FyHAmx.png
ZBZlY5V.png

JxOct2x.png
HCBr11L.png

dRKGQom.png

z830hPc.png
Ei2HOOb.png
aVHXJnX.png
PoztNSQ.png

Y58mBDj.png

0tQ4Awp.png

The Warzones series take place on the patchwork planet of Battleworld, but follow stories with more separation from the main title while providing building blocks for the future of the Marvel Universe. (Numbers Correspond to Map Locations)

sSlrZhx.png
21L08DF.png

QXoPm0g.png
rxPYxDC.png

IjgIp5E.png
gYiCUD6.png
4vqfDpF.png

bpZcVl8.png
IAxOs06.png
me6Ta3Z.png

TwAtGZB.png
VcY5iFy.png

Pgzth9e.png
Lz24Lmp.png
EvDBUlM.png

U5fQ9Qi.png

72a1UHh.png

4xj8iqt.png
ZDeE4RK.png

lqqMPKa.png
VOJB6Sy.png
nEvW7HT.png

SNnDlbC.png
N7AeAXP.png
aLqQwDE.png

GQTRQ3e.png
U1HNMBI.png

eu3M3HK.png
fOYcXzu.png
001D60E.png

k7c0fzB.png
NhLAsjr.png
L4dbu5E.png

Uuc342G.png

V8jgVcj.png
mQOD1bp.png

dbCnvXJ.png
JdnVvqW.png

QjqyoHu.png
kk7Iz1o.png

cVUAzOc.png
WLCcuPq.png
OcSxQfi.png

LNu8Ffq.png
6ghXNed.png
zXFcMsl.png

rFXJsdH.png
Pr4SvGD.png

Fq0kMJK.png

ACMcUMH.png
bSDKusx.png
NgGdhjM.png

5dbXpBB.png
KkfTEUz.png
IpEgmtF.png
cEjNbwU.png

lGoGWiI.png
ovYTlDS.png
7nn9LoE.png

CVMSd3z.png
txiUxXC.png
ysbTyPa.png
4R28mq5.png

U8RcL2l.png
JYud0gr.png
TZeeXjk.png

6OWxRau.png
8YBgTJ1.png
38JcRJM.png

H09N2rC.png
y8RUqd2.png

JP3om3y.png
3Junshw.png
KpimYwq.png

A3cyb89.png
CgjmTSQ.png
feJIVYR.png

zBW16c4.png
GlXWHqJ.png
bNQW0lF.png

ReALjVr.png
ilLyNc8.png

yUdLFIW.png

In the Battleworld series you'll see your favorite heroes and villains take on unfamiliar roles as well as revisit classic incarnations. Battleworld contains stories that will directly affect the main story taking place in Secret Wars and characters who will play a part in the larger event. (Numbers Correspond to Map Locations)

P2epJDn.png
w20KlfG.png

SkdPNv3.png
NpejGsT.png
XqYTFta.png
D764TcI.png

Zff81on.png
ofDajRR.png
FpG6gqo.png

k7KQPKg.png
MVsGzLu.png
UylsNWA.png

C6cBgfG.png
FkDerrc.png
qOp3Hkn.png
N8AeCPK.png

gOgtiuR.png
NlSNL3L.png

2Gx2goM.png
xoplf5G.png

MM1s7zI.png
nj1O05l.png
TD9k2jx.png

2WKs6GS.png

j2lkmel.png
VBmk49r.png

NdfU1wh.png

ErVf7Wt.png

UKWna3Q.png
1M7GjLM.png

b2cTpp2.png
UWD2O6s.png

M3RU1Jo.png
8gSVLF0.png
DDLWUJ5.png
iVO6CxV.png

TYH7o52.png

For those wondering how much pre-reading is required, I haven't read any of the Hickman Avengers run, though I did read SW #0, and I still enjoyed the hell out of SW #1. So many awesome things about it. Great art. Amazing start to the event.

Great OT. Seeing the cover to Secret Wars #5, I realize it is highly reminiscent of the original Secret Wars #10. Good times ahead.

I loved the first issue. Hickman had already hinted at that but it's more a conclusion to his Avengers run.

That destruction was heartbreaking and the missing ship section was a huge kick in the nuts, with that final narration and last page driving it all in.
I guess the Cabal and Ultimate Reed made Battleworld and are already there.
The Punisher crashing that party was a fantastic moment. I have yet to understand what the Phoenix egg accomplished though.

wow, how much money it's gonna take if you're thinking to buy all those comics...

which one has Ultimate Spider-Man story? Ultimate End?

Dalek

Quick reading tip.

Ultimate Universe characters have their text "Like this."

Marvel Universe characters talk "LIKE THIS."

Afrodium

Banned
That first issue was amazing. I think this is going to be a truly good event.

It looks like the earliest any tie-ins start is May 20th? I thought there would be a deluge of SW comics today but it looks like it's only #1 and #2 for this week and next. I guess my wallet is thankful.

ghostmind

A huge OT, fitting for the event!

Secret Wars 1 questions:
So Ultimate Reed created his own ark, copied from the 616 version, and the Cabal is on it with him?

And is there more of a reason that the arks look a LOT like the original Secret Wars ships, other than an homage?

Hagi

Gtarbage, UU is getting the Cassandra Cain treatment and I love it

Slay your words hurt deep man.

UU is getting off easy the only two characters that people like will make it out of the event. Crazy Reed and The Amazingly Boring Spider-man are here to stay.

marrec

Banned
This is overwhelming as hell. WHAT DO I READ? WHERE DO I START?

To note, I haven't really gotten into comics full yet.

My suggestion? Just stick with the main SW books and dabble with characters and their side stories who interest you.

We're a huge comic book house but we're not going to be getting everything because, lets face it, most of the side stuff will likely suck.

styl3s

I want every single one of those books. Do i just give my LCS my bank info and keys to my house now?

So is there a snowball chance in hell X-Men 92 does super duper well and becomes a on going series? I really want that to be an on going series :(

Afrodium

Banned
This is overwhelming as hell. WHAT DO I READ? WHERE DO I START?

To note, I haven't really gotten into comics full yet.

As a tip to you and everyone else overwhelmed by the number of issues in the OP: No one in their right mind is buying every single issue of this event.

The main story will be collected in Secret Wars #1-8. You can just buy those and be fine. It looks like the Battleworld line will function similarly to most comic book tie-ins, as it will complement the events of the main book and tell some side stories. Pretty much everything else is just unrelated "elsewhere" stories that may be tons of fun in their own right but are in no way essential and will probably have little or nothing to do with the main book. You don't need to read The Korvac Saga to understand Secret Wars, but if you like cosmic Marvel then it might be for you. If you're a Spider-Man fan then check out some of the Spider-Man books, but do it for the character and not because you want more background on Secret Wars.

Pilgrimzero

Look at all the old famous stories/characters come back for more. Old Man Logan, Age of Apoc, Runaways etc.

Fan-gasm.

Although, Nextwave should have gotten a book somewhere.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

The main story will be collected in Secret Wars #1-8. You can just buy those and be fine. It looks like the Battleworld line will function similarly to most comic book tie-ins, as it will complement the events of the main book and tell some side stories. Pretty much everything else is just unrelated "elsewhere" stories that may be tons of fun in their own right but are in no way essential and will probably have little or nothing to do with the main book. You don't need to read The Korvac Saga to understand Secret Wars, but if you like cosmic Marvel then it might be for you. If you're a Spider-Man fan then check out some of the Spider-Man books, but do it for the character and not because you want more background on Secret Wars.

Thanks. Is SW#1 on comic apps today? Or maybe I should just go by the store and grab it.

That is what you get for being responsible and shit. Nobody told you to be a grown ass man.

more of a breast man, actually

Look at all the old famous stories/characters come back for more. Old Man Logan, Age of Apoc, Runaways etc.

Fan-gasm.

Although, Nextwave should have gotten a book somewhere.

they rolled nextwave into 616 canon with "Captain America and the Mighty Avengers." kind of amusing, actually.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I want Cullen Bloodstone to show up somewhere. Maybe there's a chance in Marvel Zombies since it features his sister and Kev Walker will be drawing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom