• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

holy shit, that's a new one even to ME. Please tell me where a christian thor beating heads in with a crucifix comes from? I NEED to know this

As far as I know, he appeared in one panel of an Ultraforce/Avengers crossover from 1995. No, I'm not fucking kidding.

An issue that was written by Warren Ellis and drawn by George Perez, to be fair, so I'm not that embarrassed that I know that.

As far as I know, he appeared in one panel of an Ultraforce/Avengers crossover from 1995. No, I'm not fucking kidding.

An issue that was written by Warren Ellis and drawn by George Perez, to be fair, so I'm not that embarrassed that I know that.

damn, that's obscure. if you didn't already have a tag, you would deserve one

Yeah. I agree. Marvel is going to remove Fantastic Four, X-men, Spider-man, and Namor from the comic universe. That makes so much sense. Totally realistic. Yup.

It's the conspiracy theory that will not die, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I'm beginning to understand the frustration some people feel with climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. Yes, you are that bad. Yes, you need to sit down and shut the fuck up when grown folks are talking about comics.

Yeah. I agree. Marvel is going to remove Fantastic Four, X-men, Spider-man, and Namor from the comic universe. That makes so much sense. Totally realistic. Yup.

Marvel has the merchandise rights to Spider-Man though

and haven't Marvel's editors basically come out and said this

Sou Da

It's the conspiracy theory that will not die, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I'm beginning to understand the frustration some people feel with climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. Yes, you are that bad. Yes, you need to sit down and shut the fuck up when grown folks are talking about comics.

They are serious business after all.
I mean agree to an extent but come on.

95.gif

Andodalf

Banned
Wait, I this a true new 52 esque soft reboot, or just a renumbering, or just a couple months of one tear off or what? I'm so lost.

damn, that's obscure. if you didn't already have a tag, you would deserve one

Found the original panels (okay, well, it's technically two):

iWywhBY.jpg

Issue is worth reading if you can find it. Not a great story by any means, but Warren Ellis' script is better than it has any right to be and it has Perez drawing the shit out of a ton of alternate Avengers designs.

iWywhBY.jpg

Issue is worth reading if you can find it. Not a great story by any means, but Warren Ellis' script is better than it has any right to be and it has Perez drawing the shit out of a ton of alternate Avengers designs.

this is amazing. there has to be more of this out there. I would buy ALL THE ISSUES and I'm a hardcore atheist

iWywhBY.jpg

Lol someone told Alex Ross to draw this fucking guy

He didn't join though till Hickman Avengers. He only appearred towards the end of AvX. Hickman Avengers was built around making the strongest team aka a gear in the machine.

but I'm right though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avengers_members

Hulk was only a member in the first few issues and then returned to the team when the Avengers film marketing began to ramp up

not entirely. you can't really get a good picture of the marvel universe from using wikipedia. The issue with the hulk is that he's 'generally' uncontrollable, so it's very difficult to make him an official member of any "team."

Even so, the avengers have called on the hulk before despite his non official status. For instance, Hulk was called on and instrumental in defeating Onslaught, and was a big part of the "heroes reborn" relaunch that included most of the core avengers (cap, thor, BP, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Wasp, the FF, Doctor Doom, etc)

Was he officially "on the roster?" no, but marvel clearly positioned him right alongside the core avengers lineup in importance.

Yeah? and Felicity Smoak used to be Firestorm's stepmom until Arrow started, and now since the writing team took over the title she's a Green Arrow side character.

right. Movie & TV override the continuity in the books. Thats how its always been because the companies think it attracts new readers.

not entirely. you can't really get a good picture of the marvel universe from using wikipedia. The issue with the hulk is that he's 'generally' uncontrollable, so it's very difficult to make him an official member of any "team."

Even so, the avengers have called on the hulk before despite his non official status. For instance, Hulk was called on and instrumental in defeating Onslaught, and was a big part of the "heroes reborn" relaunch that included most of the core avengers (cap, thor, BP, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Wasp, the FF, Doctor Doom, etc)

Your right about Heroes Reborn but isn't that considered an alternate universe like the Ultimate Universe which wanted to restart at the beginning? I was referring to the main 616 avengers team

Your right about Heroes Reborn but isn't that considered an alternate universe like the Ultimate Universe which wanted to restart at the beginning? I was referring to the main 616 avengers team

the main 616 avengers team confronted onslaught (which included 616 hulk because they needed him) which resulted in heroes reborn.

we can also go back to Hulk being a central part of Secret Wars and the infinity gauntlet. He's not "on the roster" but tends to get called and fight alongside the avengers when shit hits the fan.

because Secret Wars is going to reboot the universe in like 3 months? The'll probably kill him off and just have Scott Lang be the only Ant-Man

this is the part where you should probably sit down

Slayven

Well Hank Pym(I would say since the 80s) hasn't been Ant-man for years, he usually just went by Giant Man, and use his shrinking and growing powers

Well Hank Pym(I would say since the 80s) hasn't been Ant-man for years, he usually just went by Giant Man, and use his shrinking and growing powers

I think the point was that the film ant man was like 70 years old, passing the torch on to lang because he's younger and pym can't hack it.

current pym is mid to late 30s, and the only reason he's not ant man is because he's bored of it. he's superior to lang in every conceivable way.

it's extremely unlikely they do anything to move 616 pym anywhere near MCU pym for "parity's" sake. Edit: and oh god killing him off is just fan fiction levels of bullshit. marvel would never do it.

Slayven

I think the point was that the film ant man was like 70 years old, passing the torch on to lang because he's younger and pym can't hack it.

current pym is mid to late 30s, and the only reason he's not ant man is because he's bored of it. he's superior to lang in every conceivable way.

it's extremely unlikely they do anything to move 616 pym anywhere near MCU pym for "parity's" sake.

Yeah fucking with Pym would mean fucking with Marvel's robotic scene.

I've never seen someone contort reality to what they want to see with comic books. Its bizarre

jph139

So I've been putting this off for a while but I guess it's necessary now.

Never really followed the Ultimate Spider-man series despite knowing they're good. What are the essentials leading up to now? I want to experience Peter to Miles to today before this event happens.

Sort of late here but - I was on the exact same boat and it's actually CRAZY straightforward compared to most comic stuff. You pretty much just read straight through from Ultimate Spider-Man #1. THIS is the guide I've been using overall though with the tie-ins and other side stuff.

It's really, REALLY solid stuff. I'm up to the mid-60s and absolutely loving it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Top Bottom