• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

This is true, looks cross gen was a common complaint.

Not in the same way as Spiderman 2. While some were saying that those same people were also saying that it looked great and a big improvement over Horizon 1. There are always going to be people with extreme opinions. The reasonable people out there had generally more positive impressions than Spiderman 2.

You could clearly see major improvement in FW to textures, detail, lighting, particles, animation etc. With Spiderman 2 its much harder to spot the differences.

Uncharted 2's visual slap in the face will never be surpassed.

THIS is how it always used to be among the biggest first party exclusives.

What happened to this attitude and desire to blow people away?

Even more disheartening is seeing how many Gaffers are seemingly OK with going backwards in this area.

I think Sony and Microsoft have both made conscious decisions to scale back budgets this gen, possibly after seeing how successful the Switch has been. You guys are making Sony and MS feel justified about their decisions by pretending a game like Spiderman 2 looks impressive.

If you don't care about graphics that's fine but let's not pretend.

The people comparing Spidey 2 to a Fromsoft game? You guys are definitely trying your hardest to damage control.

Go_Ly_Dow

Even more disheartening is seeing how many Gaffers are seemingly OK with going backwards in this area.

I think Sony and Microsoft have both made conscious decisions to scale back budgets this gen, possibly after seeing how successful the Switch has been. You guys are making Sony and MS feel justified about their decisions by pretending a game like Spiderman 2 looks impressive.

The people comparing Spidey 2 to a Fromsoft game? You guys are definitely trying your hardest to damage control.

Game development is more expensive and time consuming than ever is what happened. This means output from each studio is likely to decrease each gen, which increases risk of studio failure, as its putting more eggs in to one basket. If one big expensive game fails it may mean curtains for the studio or IP.

You will get games from studios with a desire to blow people away, but probably from studios or IPs that are unlikely to fail. For example Naughty Dog and the Last of Us and a handful of others. Rockstar etc... People will buy on the name alone, so they can afford the extra risk.

But we shouldn't expect and and nor is it right to expect more studios to spend more time, money and take more risks on one particular game just for the sake of better textures. Then you'd be looking at Spiderman 2 being a 2025 release, depleting resources further, increasing risk and pushing back other projects, such as Wolverine.

Last edited:

hinch7

Yeah its a bit dissapointing to say the least. Nearly three years in this generation and there's still no Killzone Shadowfall moment for me. Its definately possible looking at UE5 tech demo's. Still seems like we're still in a wierd cross gen phase and we're already half way in this generation. Whereas last gen started with some bangers - in terms of visuals. I know there was the pandemic and stuff but still....

JimRyanGOAT

Games being built with 4K/2K

Even though the CPU/GPU leap is huge, the jump to 4K is too big of a resource hog.

That's why Sony and Microsoft went with their custom SSD and DirectStorage.

At least in this area, creative developers have some wiggle room with how they build their games.

But even the 80 T flop 4090 struggles with some games at 4K. Now imagine even better looking games made in the next 2-5 years.

Last edited:

Msamy

Games being built with 4K/2K

Even though the CPU/GPU leap is huge, the jump to 4K is too big of a resource hog.

That's why Sony and Microsoft went with their custom SSD and DirectStorage.

At least in this area, creative developers have some wiggle room with how they build their games.

But even the 80 T flop 4090 struggles with some games at 4K. Now imagine even better looking games made in the next 2-5 years.
That's more of how developer improved their engine ànd techniques you can see that with guriella doing amazing things and keep up with high performance and resolution, insomniac themselves do amazing things in rift apart , I don't know what happens to them in spiderman but really that's disappointing

xVodevil

So what's the difference between Suicide Squad being silently cancelled by massive uninterest then delayed for being what it is.. and then this one being called out for no graphical improvement and giving the impression that it could be simply a dlc? Not sure, I never cared much for superheroes, their movies or games or whatever either, but it's just so much fun to watch from far how some things get a pass or maybe in some other cases absolutely not.

Yet still I played this one, and probably only these 2 as superhero games after the PC release for both Spider man games, but I also found it boring AF, every other PC to PS release was at least somewhat entertaining, even if all of them shared the same baseline repetitive open world pattern.

Last edited:

Loxus

This is not a good image to use if you want to highlight the graphics.
I honestly do not understand you and the others.
I have a feeling you guys are trolling.
rgCrK2B.jpg
LB9lmss.jpg
mxEGrR8.jpg
Pbh9OEJ.jpg
UmVUuhJ.jpg
T8m8RC1.jpg
1gZ9t7S.jpg
CLRBP3a.jpg
1saVKWL.jpg
SxZ8A90.jpg
yyVDETI.jpg
btdv8Oc.jpg
uxLm6l0.jpg
G4KfbC3.jpg
BWLtlEf.jpg
gDInbby.jpg
Kf72A5I.jpg
YNFNvbZ.jpg
v4YeoOs.jpg
W4JA8dZ.jpg
sien3Mi.jpg
DYhy8qZ.jpg
Er9GSSX.jpg

2OovGhs.jpg

1kDTR7P.jpg
sLKIhg5.jpg

PeAy7UL.jpg
5KVAJKg.jpg

RZNfG9m.jpg

The only issue I saw was the sea water, it doesn't have much deformation or interaction with the characters.

But hey, I bet you and the others thought Halo Infinite looked next-gen.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
rgCrK2B.jpg
LB9lmss.jpg
mxEGrR8.jpg
Pbh9OEJ.jpg
UmVUuhJ.jpg
T8m8RC1.jpg
1gZ9t7S.jpg
CLRBP3a.jpg
1saVKWL.jpg
SxZ8A90.jpg
yyVDETI.jpg
btdv8Oc.jpg
uxLm6l0.jpg
G4KfbC3.jpg
BWLtlEf.jpg
gDInbby.jpg
Kf72A5I.jpg
YNFNvbZ.jpg
v4YeoOs.jpg
W4JA8dZ.jpg
sien3Mi.jpg
DYhy8qZ.jpg
Er9GSSX.jpg

2OovGhs.jpg

1kDTR7P.jpg
sLKIhg5.jpg

PeAy7UL.jpg
5KVAJKg.jpg

RZNfG9m.jpg

The only issue I saw was the sea water, it doesn't have much deformation or interaction with the characters.

Thanks for reminding me how terrible it looks and how disappointed I am.

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

fBMih2W.jpeg

ckfbZCW.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

My god.

Look at the difference between character models. Its actually closer to 2 gens behind than 1.

Last edited:

CGNoire

rgCrK2B.jpg
LB9lmss.jpg
mxEGrR8.jpg
Pbh9OEJ.jpg
UmVUuhJ.jpg
T8m8RC1.jpg
1gZ9t7S.jpg
CLRBP3a.jpg
1saVKWL.jpg
SxZ8A90.jpg
yyVDETI.jpg
btdv8Oc.jpg
uxLm6l0.jpg
G4KfbC3.jpg
BWLtlEf.jpg
gDInbby.jpg
Kf72A5I.jpg
YNFNvbZ.jpg
v4YeoOs.jpg
W4JA8dZ.jpg
sien3Mi.jpg
DYhy8qZ.jpg
Er9GSSX.jpg

2OovGhs.jpg

1kDTR7P.jpg
sLKIhg5.jpg

PeAy7UL.jpg
5KVAJKg.jpg

RZNfG9m.jpg

"Idk what you guys are on about?"

" Here are 29 images of what you call Shit but all I see is fresh Corn?"

Last edited:

Rickyiez

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

fBMih2W.jpeg

ckfbZCW.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

My god.

Look at the difference between character models. Its actually closer to 2 gens behind than 1.
Well one is an open world game and you're using cut scenes only in your example. Try again with in game Ellies's face

Last edited:

Msamy

I have a feeling you guys are trolling

Here is a pictures of what it should like to you know maybe you can know what we want
Q4VC0S8.jpg
mnSI61f.jpg
3W0db5N.jpg
xu0hBeA.jpg
I73yaxm.jpg
0CGSWDB.jpg
mzPDsBL.jpg
264f1ht.jpg
7ktoivC.jpg
oGdWfD1.jpg
UE5Zj3M.jpg
ydb95Wf.jpg
yaR5o26.jpg
Pc79TVF.jpg
3vIDn5j.jpg
QMa5iS5.jpg
gA5tAso.jpg
sdhxxeg.jpg
dD4oABr.jpg
wXxcmIH.jpg
ch1cvsB.jpg
JzSiwew.jpg
N48bLuo.jpg
WpRa3Aj.jpg

And for your last bit i am happy to disappointing you I own ps5 and i am playstation fan and thats what make disappointed

Horizon Forbidden West is an exception to be honest. No game or studio has been able to match that. And in Spider-Man 2's defense, HFW does not have as fast of a traversal system as can be seen in Spider-Man 2. SM 2's is magnitude faster.

As for your 1st point, I wholeheartedly disagree. The game is a significant improvement over even the PS5 Remastered version of Spider-Man, let alone the PS4 version.

q2ILcdw.jpg

rg1WJbX.jpg

The draw distance, lighting, details, foliage, density: everything is up even when compared to Spider-Man PS5.

Bonus shot that I loved:

eK0tHVo.jpg
Looks fucking great to me! I don't know what people were expecting from a spider-man game...you clearly see it's the same engine but the 1st one and miles were already beautiful!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Here is a pictures of what it should like to you know maybe you can know what we want
Q4VC0S8.jpg
mnSI61f.jpg
3W0db5N.jpg
xu0hBeA.jpg
I73yaxm.jpg
0CGSWDB.jpg
mzPDsBL.jpg
264f1ht.jpg
7ktoivC.jpg
oGdWfD1.jpg
UE5Zj3M.jpg
ydb95Wf.jpg
yaR5o26.jpg
Pc79TVF.jpg
3vIDn5j.jpg
QMa5iS5.jpg
gA5tAso.jpg
sdhxxeg.jpg
dD4oABr.jpg
wXxcmIH.jpg
ch1cvsB.jpg
JzSiwew.jpg
N48bLuo.jpg
WpRa3Aj.jpg

And for your last bit i am happy to disappointing you I own ps5 and i am playstation fan and thats what make disappointed

I'm very familiar with how stunning Burning Shores looks and these pictures make the game look like dogshit in comparison. It looks very flat not sure what's going on with your screenshots

The more I see Spider-Man 2 the more I think it looks awesome but maybe I'm biased 😉 the image is pristine performance is on point and that pier set piece was absolute fire! I trust Insomniac to continue to polish it up because it's a little rough around the edges specifically when Miles comes up out of the water that looked PS4 ish but everything else looks great.

Msamy

But you can see there's much more going on in the open world of spider-man then both of these games , different games different techniques.
Not at all ,spiderman man 2018 looks better than horizon zero dawn with the difference you said

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Rendering NYC is a hell of a lot different than what Horizon and Jedi Survivor have to render. Especially NYC as Spiderman with the aerial focus.

Show me anything comparable and you will see a big jump for Spidey 2.

//DEVIL//

rgCrK2B.jpg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

Cutscene vs Cutscene.
I Can't stress this enough.

the actual gameplay looked worse than Spiderman remaster. like wtf, how much talent has the studio lost during the last these 2 years?

it seems like not only MS is suffering from losing talent, but Sony also seems to be in a ( probably worse )than MS at this stage.

When it's been 2 years and you don't have anything to show for it, and when Sony is trying to remaster its games and call them a remake, then yeah, they lost lots of talent sadly it seems.

You know Sony is in a shit situation when their ace studio can't even release an online port of a game that was supposed to be out since the last of Us 2.

Sony is quiet not because they are confident, but because they don't have shit done. and what they have been doing the last couple of years is not even presentable. So they are riding that wave hoping people won't notice ( part of the reason they are also relying heavily on 3rd party games )

IF MS played their cards right, they might outshine Sony in terms of games coming in the next couple of years as a more attractive system ( again not sales-wise), and knowing MS, they will fuck up even worse than Sony come next month.

Last edited:

Msamy

Rendering NYC is a hell of a lot different than what Horizon and Jedi Survivor have to render. Especially NYC as Spiderman with the aerial focus.

Show me anything comparable and you will see a big jump for Spidey 2.
Spider man 2018 looks way better than horizon zero dawn with same difference that you said and also even that, this not the same case horizon forbidden west is cross gen title and spiderman 2 supposed to be ps5 only title

all this drama for a Niche game.

i heard from my contacts Butt and Hole that this demo was done last year for the hypothetical Sep 8 Showcase that didn't happen

so, you know, old build.

dXqjZ2v.jpeg

s9Vu0Fp.jpeg

fBMih2W.jpeg

ckfbZCW.jpeg

HVbJfRP.jpeg

XhAGLXr.jpeg

My god.

TLOU has much better colour grading and post processing.

This will take time. ND was allowed a lot longer dev cycle than Spiderman 2.

Msamy

TLOU has much better colour grading and post processing.

This will take time. ND was allowed a lot longer dev cycle than Spiderman 2.
No one request them to release the game with ps4 looking visuals in short time , i remember by the time spider 2018 released with shorter developer cycle than Spider Man 2 , it was the best looking game in 2018, so we not ask them to do something out of their standards or something impossible we want it to match hfw which is cross gen title at least

Last edited:
I feel like this game was clearly fast tracked to accompany the Netflix release of the new Spider-Verse movie (which is supposedly September 30th).

Mr.Phoenix

I Can't stress this enough.

the actual gameplay looked worse than Spiderman remaster. like wtf, how much talent has the studio lost during the last these 2 years?

it seems like not only MS is suffering from losing talent, but Sony also seems to be in a ( probably worse )than MS at this stage.

When it's been 2 years and you don't have anything to show for it, and when Sony is trying to remaster its games and call them a remake, then yeah, they lost lots of talent sadly it seems.

You know Sony is in a shit situation when their ace studio can't even release an online port of a game that was supposed to be out since the last of Us 2.

Sony is quiet not because they are confident, but because they don't have shit done. and what they have been doing the last couple of years is not even presentable. So they are riding that wave hoping people won't notice ( part of the reason they are also relying heavily on 3rd party games )

IF MS played their cards right, they might outshine Sony in terms of games coming in the next couple of years as a more attractive system ( again not sales-wise), and knowing MS, they will fuck up even worse than Sony come next month.
giphy.gif

sertopico

I must admit, I was expecting more.
To me it looks in some way worse than its predecessor. The lighting is off/flat, it lacks depth, shadows quality in interior is toned down, the poly count of buildings and structures looks pretty basic. I don't know, it has a more cartoon-ey look if compared to the first one. From what I've seen they extended the map beyond Manhattan, maybe that is why they had to cut some details. Let's see how the finished product will look like.

hyperbertha

rgCrK2B.jpg
LB9lmss.jpg
mxEGrR8.jpg
Pbh9OEJ.jpg
UmVUuhJ.jpg
T8m8RC1.jpg
1gZ9t7S.jpg
CLRBP3a.jpg
1saVKWL.jpg
SxZ8A90.jpg
yyVDETI.jpg
btdv8Oc.jpg
uxLm6l0.jpg
G4KfbC3.jpg
BWLtlEf.jpg
gDInbby.jpg
Kf72A5I.jpg
YNFNvbZ.jpg
v4YeoOs.jpg
W4JA8dZ.jpg
sien3Mi.jpg
DYhy8qZ.jpg
Er9GSSX.jpg

2OovGhs.jpg

1kDTR7P.jpg
sLKIhg5.jpg

PeAy7UL.jpg
5KVAJKg.jpg

RZNfG9m.jpg

You're Blown away by this? Improve your standards mate. Doesn't even look as good as ac unity, a game from 2014. And nice try trying to conflate us with xbox warriors.

PeteBull

I think diminishing returns have been discussed for a while now and is only getting more apparent with every gen. What is the end goal of graphics? Because everything in that Unreal Demo looks better than real life.

Ray tracing looks super cool. But the sun doesn’t look like that and you do not get that glare with every movement, or it’s not noticeable. Imo, water in games looks better and showing more “physics” than real life these days. It’s kind of like the camera effect for iPhone - with every substantial leap in camera tech, some will tell you their pics actually look worse haha. Why? Because it looks too detailed/too high resolution. Real life doesn’t look that good

It’s all about art style now…
Dimnishing returns are real, but keep in mind ps5 doesnt have top of the line cpu/gpu, it had midrange cpu/gpu back at launch in november 2020, i mentioend it few times but something always gotta give if u are working with console specs, either resolution, fps, or graphics fidelity aka bells and whistles.

For quick comparision thats rx 6700xt, so around 320-330$ gpu currently https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xf...x-6700-xt-12-gb-pulse-video-card-11306-02-20g that is stronger from ps5/xsx gpu's in every possible way https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6700-xt.c3695 . Just compare it to topend PC gpu's to notice huge disparity in actual power.

Devs (yes even first party top team devs) wont magically make ps5 gain 2x performance, u have the matrix demo which is exactly that- demo- made by topdogs on UE5 and its highly unlikely real game will reach that visuals, unless we talking similar resolution/fps aka around 1440p30fps with dips to 20 when shit hits the fan

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Spider man 2018 looks way better than horizon zero dawn with same difference that you said and also even that, this not the same case horizon forbidden west is cross gen title and spiderman 2 supposed to be ps5 only title
I dont think most people would agree Spiderman 2018 is way better looking, most would say the opposite. For me you are comparing two completely different types of environments. One is foliage the other buildings and lots of them. Rendering a city is imo a more technical burden.

Msamy

Dimnishing returns are real, but keep in mind ps5 doesnt have top of the line cpu/gpu, it had midrange cpu/gpu back at launch in november 2020, i mentioend it few times but something always gotta give if u are working with console specs, either resolution, fps, or graphics fidelity aka bells and whistles.

For quick comparision thats rx 6700xt, so around 320-330$ gpu currently https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xf...x-6700-xt-12-gb-pulse-video-card-11306-02-20g that is stronger from ps5/xsx gpu's in every possible way https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6700-xt.c3695 . Just compare it to topend PC gpu's to notice huge disparity in actual power.

Devs (yes even first party top team devs) wont magically make ps5 gain 2x performance, u have the matrix demo which is exactly that- demo- made by topdogs on UE5 and its highly unlikely real game will reach that visuals, unless we talking similar resolution/fps aka around 1440p30fps with dips to 20 when shit hits the fan

No one asked insomniac to do 4k at 60 fps or to match the matrix demo level of graphics we asked to match at least cross gen title like hfw

Msamy

I dont think most people would agree Spiderman 2018 is way better looking, most would say the opposite. For me you are comparing two completely different types of environments. One is foliage the other buildings and lots of them. Rendering a city is imo a more technical burden.
No , most people think the same there is even not in the same league and I think you remember that spider man 2018 wins best looking award from digital foundry in 2018

PeteBull

No one asked insomniac to do 4k at 60 fps or to match the matrix demo level of graphics we asked to match at least cross gen title like hfw
Wait till game launches, still half a year roughly, to go, tons of optimisation can happen and even after launch tons of patching happens too, hell even with Horizon FW patch after launch helped tremendously

Edit: And about Crossgen games, u got 2 kinds of aproaches:
1st option- Where base ps4 is lead platform, aka officially stated by devs of GoW:Ragnarok or for example GT7.
2nd option-like Forbidden West, cp2077, forza horizon5(or back from previous gen for example watch dogs on ps4/xbox one vs on ps3)- when weaker console version is afterthought.

Non crossgen games wont look substantially better from 2nd option aproach of crossgen games(so ones where lowend platform isnt lead), more techsavy ppl kept telling u guys about it for long while but somehow u guys refuse to accept it =/

Its not mid to late 90s where tekken1 to teken3 was basically jump of full generation on same platform, this wont happen anymore, all the coding to the metal/optimising helps a lot but it wont make game look crazy much better vs already launched topquality visuals games(and we got few of those already on ps5: Demons Souls, Ratchet, ofc Horizon FW too, not counting matrix demo coz its not actual game, think of matrix demo as goal to strive for, which devs will get close to but never reach, in actual open world game- at least not on base ps5, on ps5pr0 definitely possible to surpass it ofc ).

Last edited:

Msamy

Wait till game launches, still half a year roughly, to go, tons of optimisation can happen and even after launch tons of patching happens too, hell even with Horizon FW patch after launch helped tremendously

I know hfw has problems when it's released but most of this problems are in performance mode only , and the game looks very good in its first gameplay showcase , which not the same case with spiderman 2 , said that I will be very happy if they fixed spiderman 2 visuals and experience by the time it's launch , but currently I am not

Robbinhood

Banned
No , most people think the same there is even not in the same league and I think you remember that spider man 2018 wins best looking award from digital foundry in 2018
And Horizon won in 2017. Horizon was a bigger graphical showcase, I don't think thats even contested. Someone make a poll.

Shubh_C63

rgCrK2B.jpg
LB9lmss.jpg
mxEGrR8.jpg
Pbh9OEJ.jpg
UmVUuhJ.jpg
T8m8RC1.jpg
1gZ9t7S.jpg
CLRBP3a.jpg
1saVKWL.jpg
SxZ8A90.jpg
yyVDETI.jpg
btdv8Oc.jpg
uxLm6l0.jpg
G4KfbC3.jpg
BWLtlEf.jpg
gDInbby.jpg
Kf72A5I.jpg
YNFNvbZ.jpg
v4YeoOs.jpg
W4JA8dZ.jpg
sien3Mi.jpg
DYhy8qZ.jpg
Er9GSSX.jpg

2OovGhs.jpg

1kDTR7P.jpg
sLKIhg5.jpg

PeAy7UL.jpg
5KVAJKg.jpg

RZNfG9m.jpg

Bullshots be bullshitting.

I am A-OK with the graphics shown but it certainly doesn't looks like uncompromised PS5 version.

Top Bottom