• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a fucking strawman. Imagine spending all that money on a next gen console to get PS4 level graphics. Why not just stay on PS4? People here aren't complaining about some stupid textures or water.
This is a watch dogs moment. They hyped us with the next gen looking in engine teaser, then show potato graphics. Do you not see the problem?
Yep, you paid $550 for what exactly? 60 fps at 600p like Star Wars?

Why do people like this even buy new consoles if they are ok with last Gen visuals? Baffling mindset.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I am not talking about all of that that you saying, I am talking about that all I want graphics and gameplay that are on par or slightly better than other sony title ( horizon forbidden west ) which runs in same console with same hardware an technology limitation that you said above and looks generational ahead of what they showed in the showcase , that's simply what I want
If u wanna compare both of them graphically then best wait for launch/DF vid, game is still roughly half a year before launch, tons of optimisation can still be done, as u can see with comparing many games at launch/few weeks post launch when additional patches are pushed, hell even horizon FW u mentioned got big patch after launch

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seems there's a sizeable amount of people who's enjoyment of a video game is now tied to how "next gen" the graphics look. Same people seem to shit on games that dare to prioritise other elements, such as story and scope over raw visuals (see discourse around FF16 for past 2.5 years).

Now reality is hitting home with diminishing returns meaning most games will only be a moderate step up from the last generation.

The real question should be, how does slightly more realistic water or textures make a game better for you? Surely there are other ways to make a game more enjoyable or memorable than by just focusing on that...

I think the issue is the trailer they showed us originally.....

SeraphJan

I think the issue is the trailer they showed us originally.....
I would go a bit farther and say the issue is how Sony setting the expectation too high with their last gen's (and a little bit of this gen) first party game graphic in general. Its like if Sony release a game that wasn't the top 5% in terms of graphic, its fanbase would lose their shit.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I mean you are right with what you are saying but it's missing that engines develop further take more out of the hardware as times goes on and the ps5 has far less bottlenecks. I also hardly believe that spiderman 2 will have a 4k60 mode since the remastered version didn't even have one.
Infamous SS that launched in march 2014 looked better than 99% of ps4 games across whole span of console gen, if we talking sony exclusives u can expect high quality visuals, even bit above what we got now, but probably below what was shown in matrix demo- altho who knows maybe im wrong and sony top teams will surprise us with graphic quality that matches even that incredible matrix demo- ofc not at 4k60 but 1440p30(or some similar pixel count).

If we talking 99% of multiplats tho- those will look avg or even below avg depending on quality of dev studio and time/funding restrains

Last edited:

Falc67

Just say you know nothing about how bad youtube compression is and how it gets worse with faster moving content.
Against I told you that I’ve been impressed and amazed with other games on YouTube at 4k. This isn’t about YouTube you fool.

Loxus

We don't disappointed because we want matrix graphics, we disappointed from what they showing which not in par even with some other cross gen titles like horizon forbidden west also i just watched assian creed mirage gameplay trailer which is cross gen by third party studio and gonna released In the same time frame and here is some screens from it's trailer
Rep6yOg.jpg
DzYP1nV.jpg
dw1xOsL.jpg
I'm still wondering if you guys even watched it in 4k.

a8C2gR2.jpg

DavidGzz

Well, there you go. We can agree to disagree. I think Horizon is pretty mediocre. And yes, I like the gameplay of Spiderman way more. And I just said From Software shits on both, so no to your second question.

And sure starfield isn't a looker but it's gameplay will probably trump the mediocrity that is horizon's.

The general consensus is that horizon gameplay is pretty mediocre. Most sony games with the exception of bloodbprne and tlou are mediocre gameplay wise. Of course you need to own more than one console to be able to admit it. I'm way over this fanboy trash.

Funny how this was ignored unless I missed it. Some people just argue for the sake of arguing. He/she says the same thing I did yet 3 months later has flip-flopped. lol!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
We have seen plenty of games with their graphics being updated in their latestst trailers. I'm not worried...i fact, people will be wrong again :messenger_beaming:

hyperbertha

I just think fighting the dinosaur robots in horizon is a more unique and highly varied experience compared to the repetitiveness of humanoid enemies in sm. Each robot has very different ways of dealing with them, and it's a much more challenging game, tho heavily flawed.

Why not expect a gen leap after demon souls, hfw, ratchet and the Matrix demo?
:pie_roffles: funny how you ignored this.
Funny how this was ignored unless I missed it. Some people just argue for the sake of arguing. He/she says the same thing I did yet 3 months later has flip-flopped. lol!

I think horizons gameplay is mediocre. :pie_roffles:Good for a few hours due to its variation. Spiderman's is worse. It was boring from the beginning. Two things can be mediocre at the same time yet one can outclass another. Neither are close to good gameplay like Zelda, xcom or Arkham.

Lysandros

My worry is that they have stopped using the PS5s strengths and instead have started to make it more ”porting-to-PC-friendly”
That's the very reason of why i dislike their policy wholeheartedly. This will undeniably dilute the focus on single SKU. We are bound to see the results sooner or later. 'PRO consoles' that people seem to salivating over is another facet of this very same problem. Demands/gamers shape the industry.

DavidGzz

:pie_roffles: funny how you ignored this.

I think horizons gameplay is mediocre. :pie_roffles:Good for a few hours due to its variation. Spiderman's is worse. It was boring from the beginning. Two things can be mediocre at the same time yet one can outclass another. Neither are close to good gameplay like Zelda, xcom or Arkham.

I have just never seen someone go back and forth over two mediocre games(in your opinion). That's special.

Lysandros

Apparently the water is now ray traced in SM2. I think our concerns will ultimately be another chapter in "gamers don't know shit about game development" once it finally releases.

You find the texture detail and water interactivity adequate in this section? Be it 'path traced' or not this doesn't change the fact that the game 'looks' highly inconsistent and underwhelming as for now and needs a serious amount of improvement as a PS5 first party exclusive.

Graphics look fine to me, didn’t blow me away, but neither did the original. I think Horizon FW spoiled me too much to be impressed.

But the fact you could play most of that sequence with 1 hand is more depressing …. maybe they go all-in on accessibility at Sony?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Funny thing but not surprising.

I was watching a video on YT about a failed Chinese rocket launch in 1996, totally unrelated to gaming, but the relevant thing was that it included a lot of contemporary footage including photographs of the launch area and its surrounding countryside. What struck me was how fake it all looked, not in a CG way, but like a model diorama like from a 60's Gerry Anderson show like Thunderbirds!

Point being what looks "realistic" isn't necessary real looking, even when it is.

Pelta88

Claiming Spider-Man looks like trash is just fanboyism. We did this in 2018. Forum guys and the usual influencers on socials doing their best to downplay it.

Until it released and became a gaming behemoth. I can't believe we're back to the same narrative, like we didn't keep the receipts from the last time.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You find the texture detail and water interactivity adequate in this section? Be it 'path traced' or not this doesn't change the fact that the game 'looks' highly inconsistent and underwhelming as for now and needs a serious amount of improvement as a PS5 first party exclusive.

Yes, the vertical slice they showed us looks very rough in areas; a number of scenes look worse than Miles Morales. So when you see all this you have ask yourself does it make sense. And the only logical conclusion is that the rough sections they showed are not indicative of the quality upon final release. Clearly the objective of this showcase was to show off gameplay and not necessarily to communicate the fidelity that we will experience upon release. The only reason I was shocked by the presentation was because I have NEVER seen Insomniac release a trailer that was in such a rough shape. It's surprising for sure, but definitely not. Yet others here want to use this to prove/insist that the rough visuals are what they will deliver upon release. That is flawed logic. You might think that it needs a serious amount of work, but to the developers at Insomniac this is the normal process and workflow timeline of their projects.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Or maybe your expectations are way too high?

It has better graphics than a lot of games and it will run pretty good based on the previous games.
It barely looks better than miles which already was nearly indistinguishable if you played it on PS4 Pro then went to PS5.

This initial trailer said it was running on PS5 and LOL it clearly wasn't because if it was the downgrade is fucking massive, it doesn't even look as good as Returnal.

Last edited:

reksveks

This initial trailer said it was running on PS5 and LOL it clearly wasn't because if it was the downgrade is fucking massive, it doesn't even look as good as Returnal.
It probably was but dealing with the rendering is probably the only thing that the console had to worry about for that trailer.

SABRE220

I told you the media spin has already begun, mental gymnastics to begin downplaying the flaws meanwhile praising the tiniest improvements as immense all the while claiming the people dissapointed are insane/unreasonable. Shit is like clockwork, all that remains is a buzzword calling it a "visual tour de force on the ps5". They just cannot criticize the big studios...always the safety bubble scenario.

If he said there were issues that he is sure will get improved it would be understandable but to feign ignorance is disappointing from digital foundry. These guys used to be so enthusiastic about tech advancements in past generations.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Why did they chose Driveclub's most unflattering lighting time of day for the demo? Why did they spoil the symbiote suit right away and why does it look it has backpack straps on the shoulders?
Such a bizarre presentation.

X-Wing

It barely looks better than miles which already was nearly indistinguishable if you played it on PS4 Pro then went to PS5.

Smaller contained scenes can of course contain a lot more detail than bigger ones.
I cannot imagine that someone actually expected to see that level of detail stretched throughout the entire city at all times.
The gameplay shown was of high speed action scenes where things in the distance get distorted and a lot is happening at the same time on the screen, of course textures further away from the focus of the player will be lower res in order to save resources for what matters.

SABRE220

Guys! I know you’re disappointed but have you seen it on a Hyper-OLED 16K with SuperHDR and 240 enabled during full moon when the planets are aligned?

It really looks great like that.
Yeah the you need to see it in uncompressed 18k to truly appreciate the details narrative is wierd..it made the jank look even worse.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Smaller contained scenes can of course contain a lot more detail than bigger ones.
I cannot imagine that someone actually expected to see that level of detail stretched throughout the entire city at all times.
The gameplay shown was of high speed action scenes where things in the distance get distorted and a lot is happening at the same time on the screen, of course textures further away from the focus of the player will be lower res in order to save resources for what matters.
I mean they set the expectation, not us.

3liteDragon

Oh shit, I thought you weren't aloud to do stuff like this anymore?

It's clearly NOT running on a ps5.....What kinda bullshit is this?
How exactly would you know that? We haven’t even seen what night time looks like, and it says it’s running on PS5 in the trailer. Sony had no problem pointing out some of the trailers were CG at the showcase. People like freak out as usual over shit like this, I’ll wait until the final product’s out & then we’ll talk.

Top Bottom