• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Because deserve has nothing to do with it. It's all subjective. He can disagree with all the praise, but to say God of War didn't deserve high praise is stupid. How is he going to tell a collection of people that they shouldn't have liked God of War as much as they did? Who is he? It's not like the game is My Little Pony and got a 94 on Metacritic!

Even though you confused the games the guy said, I agree with this and honestly this is the problem with scores. I know why scores exist, but people get too attached to them to the point of missing the point entirely. I wasn't a huge fan of Uncharted 4 and really didn't like Horizon, however I can't say those games were overhyped. They're incredibly polished and are insanely well done, it's not unreasonable to see why they get so praised. I actually had the same problem with GOW because I thought "well, Horizon got hyped and I didn't like it, so I won't like GOW either" until I realized what the fuck I was doing. Games are not similar at all, in retrospect it's not hard to see why I disliked Horizon. I fucking hate bow and arrow combat, I hate gathering shit to craft shit even more, I don't like stealth unless it's an actual stealth game, I thought the mocap in the game made everyone look stupid to the point of breaking my immersion. All of those features were handily available to me before I played the game and I don't think any of them should lower the score for the game. It's a me thing. I have a friend who absolutely loved Horizon and he doesn't even know what Metacritic is. So as always your mileage may vary and it's always better to trust your instincts and know what you like and dislike before buying the game than thinking about the number it got from some people you won't ever know in your life.

I do, however, have a problem with journalists deducting points for stupid shit like "Dragon Quest has turn-based combat", but that's another issue entirely.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I do, however, have a problem with journalists deducting points for stupid shit like "Dragon Quest has turn-based combat", but that's another issue entirely.
Yup. This what think in my mind when I see review like that.
this-guy-gets-it-gif-3.gif

mckmas8808

Banned
Even though you confused the games the guy said, I agree with this and honestly this is the problem with scores. I know why scores exist, but people get too attached to them to the point of missing the point entirely. I wasn't a huge fan of Uncharted 4 and really didn't like Horizon, however I can't say those games were overhyped. They're incredibly polished and are insanely well done, it's not unreasonable to see why they get so praised. I actually had the same problem with GOW because I thought "well, Horizon got hyped and I didn't like it, so I won't like GOW either" until I realized what the fuck I was doing. Games are not similar at all, in retrospect it's not hard to see why I disliked Horizon. I fucking hate bow and arrow combat, I hate gathering shit to craft shit even more, I don't like stealth unless it's an actual stealth game, I thought the mocap in the game made everyone look stupid to the point of breaking my immersion. All of those features were handily available to me before I played the game and I don't think any of them should lower the score for the game. It's a me thing. I have a friend who absolutely loved Horizon and he doesn't even know what Metacritic is. So as always your mileage may vary and it's always better to trust your instincts and know what you like and dislike before buying the game than thinking about the number it got from some people you won't ever know in your life.

Thank you for spelling out in detail with your own experience what I was trying to say. "Your mileage may vary" is a great thing to live for anybody if you are reading review scores for any game. Perfectly written post.

mckmas8808

Banned
After reading things like "a defining game for this generation" and everyone fawning over what a masterpiece it is, I bought the game yesterday.

5 hours in, all I can ask is: were these reviewers paid off? Because wow. Don't get me wrong, the game is good and I'm having fun with it for the most part. But a masterpiece? A defining game for this generation? With the way people were fawning over it, I was expecting another God of War or The Last of Us level game. But this is definitely not on that level. I would be surprised if people are still talking about this game 2 weeks from now, much less that anyone will remember it for years to come.

It's literally one of the greatest superhero games of all time. Why would people forget about a game that's on that level in a few weeks? It's a GOTY contender (maybe not the winner).

Zewp

It's literally one of the greatest superhero games of all time. Why would people forget about a game that's on that level in a few weeks? It's a GOTY contender (maybe not the winner).

Not everyone shares your opinion that it's a GOTY contender. I don't think this game is anywhere near the level that Batman Arkham Asylum was, nor does it have the same kind of staying power that that game had. "One of the greatest superhero games of all time" is not exactly a high bar either, considering how few superhero games there are and how many of those can be considered anywhere near 'great'. There's the Batman Arkham games and then there's uhm... eh... Spider-Man 2018?

You're of course welcome to your opinion that it's a GOTY contender and I won't try and tell you your opinion is wrong, but I have my doubts. I'll place my bets on opinions being significantly less kind once the honeymoon period wears off. I've noticed on several gaming forums that opinions are already milder today than they were on Friday. I might be wrong, of course, but my bet's on roughly two weeks before this game starts to fade from memory for most. Time will tell, though.

mckmas8808

Banned
Not everyone shares your opinion that it's a GOTY contender. I don't think this game is anywhere near the level that Batman Arkham Asylum was, nor does it have the same kind of staying power that that game had. "One of the greatest superhero games of all time" is not exactly a high bar either, considering how few superhero games there are and how many of those can be considered anywhere near 'great'. There's the Batman Arkham games and then there's uhm... eh... Spider-Man 2018?

You're of course welcome to your opinion that it's a GOTY contender and I won't try and tell you your opinion is wrong, but I have my doubts. I'll place my bets on opinions being significantly less kind once the honeymoon period wears off. I've noticed on several gaming forums that opinions are already milder today than they were on Friday. I might be wrong, of course, but my bet's on roughly two weeks before this game starts to fade from memory for most. Time will tell, though.

It's okay if you don't share my opinion, but I think most people would either completely agree with me or kinda agree. And the bolded from your post is one of the main reasons. People like me love good/well-made superhero content be it in a comic, cartoon, movie, or video game. The IP is just that amazing.

If Red Dead 2 is everything we think it'll be, that will be the game that will take the shine away from Spiderman. But at that point we're talking a good six weeks, so not bad. And when does the first DLC for the game release? Does anybody know?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's okay if you don't share my opinion, but I think most people would either completely agree with me or kinda agree. And the bolded from your post is one of the main reasons. People like me love good/well-made superhero content be it in a comic, cartoon, movie, or video game. The IP is just that amazing.

If Red Dead 2 is everything we think it'll be, that will be the game that will take the shine away from Spiderman. But at that point we're talking a good six weeks, so not bad. And when does the first DLC for the game release? Does anybody know?

October 23rd.

Zewp

What's interesting is that the split doesn't seem to be "like it"/"dislike it" like in most other games. It seems to be "think it's amazing"/"think it's good, but not necessarily amazing". I haven't seen an awful lot of people who think it's outright bad (other than the usual trolls, of course). That's quite an accomplishment on its own.

Neverwas

Up to 76% complete. Shirked my responsibilities and just played all weekend. Haven't done that in a long time. Probably my personal GOTY.

J3nga

Why do they fall for the filler content cliches? I mean come on, who would consider doing crime stopping for 50th time would still be fun? I’d score 6-7 atm(haven’r finished it yet), but kinda regret my purchase, ~30$/€ is fair I guess. Arkham series are way better superhero games IMO.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why do they fall for the filler content cliches? I mean come on, who would consider doing crime stopping for 50th time would still be fun?

Well they do change through the game and there is a variety of activities. For me they are a good place to practice combat and try new suit powers and devices.

Nymphae

Banned
Why do they fall for the filler content cliches? I mean come on, who would consider doing crime stopping for 50th time would still be fun? I’d score 6-7 atm(haven’r finished it yet), but kinda regret my purchase, ~30$/€ is fair I guess. Arkham series are way better superhero games IMO.

This guy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not liking it is fine, the game cannot hope to win everyone

Not liking the game? Fine... no game can reasonably expect to please everyone nor wow and amaze everyone, but unless you want all games to be microtransactions privacy destroying private data grabbers, I think we should have a healthier view of software other than disposable generic consumables that we expect to be so cheap (no matter the effort that went into them) to make impulse buys a no consequences exercise.

Who likes to pay a lot of money instead of getting deals for peanuts? Not a lot of people, but the game is definitely worth its asking price. Not to you, but it sounds that even at $30 it would not tickle your interest much... in which case it would still be money badly spent IMHO.
Waiting for a deal because one is a bit out of cash is a totally different situation though. I do think the game asks a fair amount of money for the quantity of content, the gameplay and visual systems created, and the overall polish of the experience (recording two audio tracks to allow the character to transition between quick quips uttered while swinging around vs a nice chat while sitting on a rooftop?!? That is the opposite of “laziness” for sure IMHO).

In other words. A game budgeted for a $30 release or less would either have to be a micro transactions filled fest, filled with gameplay tweaks designed to make spending on consumable and non consumables as much as possible, or a game with a much smaller scope and ambition and a risk only mega AAAA could afford to take... which is bad... gaming needs A and AA mid scale developers and for sure would not benefit from losing a AAA developers like Insomniac to make space for yet another microtransactions and random crates filled live service.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
i was not into Spider Man before i bought it. thought it will be good game, but nothing ground braking. but i was hooked up. game is amazing, if i would have one criticism, that the game a little big repetitive if you go for platinum. i got platinum.

story - check, gameplay - check, combat - check, graphics - check, sound - check, story continuation? - check. GOTY contender - check.

Humdinger

I haven't picked it up yet. I'll get to it once the hype dies down and the crowds disperse. Not really in the mood for it at the moment. It's good to hear all the positive reviews and impressions, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I haven't picked it up yet. I'll get to it once the hype dies down and the crowds disperse. Not really in the mood for it at the moment. It's good to hear all the positive reviews and impressions, though.

This is where I am at as well. I am still chipping away at some of my backlog, and as you said, the mood is not there just yet. But good to know when I do, that it will be a fun experience.

RPS37

Damn. Not really about trying to Gold the challenges. They don’t seem that fun. Game is still amazing and I’ve had tons of fun doing all of the other side shit. Haven’t even finished Act 2 yet i don’t think. Is there a page for stats to see how many hours I’ve sunk into this bad boy so far?

Top Bottom