• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Are people really that stupid that they did not understand Loki's motives and the alien race's motives?

Loki's motives made complete sense. Never really got the aliens. Either they wanted Earth and were giving Loki the cube, or the other way around. I dunno, they were just sort of there, as far as I could see.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, I always seem to end up posting stuff when the thread goes haywire so it'll end up getting lost in the crossfire. :(
Join the club, haha.

But thanks for the post, that actually filled in the gap on how they used the pictures they took to create the city and use them in the scenes. I always wondered if they actually re-build the entire city by hand in 3D, but figured that would take waaaaaay too long and too many people, I was right. They actually just animated the pics they took, took out the people and cars digitally, then re-added them where they needed them. Also looks like that CG model of the city was rendered procedurally from the photos. Makes way more sense. Can't believe for how long I've been in the game industry as a 3D artist, I still don't know 90% of the tricks Hollywood uses to make their stuff.

reKon

Banned
Finally saw it. Waited for the matinee price.

What a shit-tacular shitty shitty movie.

I was rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie & my God what a entirely bad action sequence during the 2nd half.
Watch out for the nondescript/generic alien that come out of nowhere with their FLYING SEGWAY SCOOTERS OF DEATH!

Thankfully a advanced alien race that mastered space travel & energy weapons wasn't too advanced to not be taken down by arrows, bullets & of course the brave men of the NYPD!

Can't believe people think this is even remotely good. Even Bayformers was better than that crap I saw today.

you're trying too hard

Thankfully a advanced alien race that mastered space travel & energy weapons wasn't too advanced to not be taken down by arrows, bullets & of course the brave men of the NYPD!

What an asinine, absolutely fucking stupid complaint. Just because someone/something has mastered space travel doesn't mean they're immune to conventional weapons.

Hell, humans have learned how to harness nuclear energy, gone to the moon, and have made shittons of scientific and medical advancements in the past few decades, but I can still beat the shit out of you with a baseball bat.

Loki's motives made complete sense. Never really got the aliens. Either they wanted Earth and were giving Loki the cube, or the other way around. I dunno, they were just sort of there, as far as I could see.

Loki knew where the Cosmic Cube was, he had no interest in it.
He would take the Chitauri to the cosmic cube if they helped him flatten Earth.

The Cosmic Cube would help the Chitauris become one of the most powerful races in the universe and yada yada.

That's pretty simple.

Loki fails because his motivations were childish. And that's why he is with that face in the end of the movie. He'll get home, get a buttslap from daddy Odin, and escape his grounding to do more tricks.

EDIT: Only thing that bothered me about the Chitauri is the way they died after the 'ship exploded/portal closed' because that made them a bit of a sucky race, which they are not in the comics.

So I'm probably imagining this, but did Iron Man remove his arc reactor when he was confronting Loki at the end? I didn't notice it glowing through his shirt and it looked like his hand was shaking when he was pouring the drink. I thought the reason Loki's staff didn't work on him was because he had removed his "heart"...which didn't make any sense. I asked my friends and they didn't know what I was talking about so...I probably just wasn't paying attention.

He has the arc reactor, but the light emanating out of it didn't seem that bright due to the lighting conditions.

3N16MA

Banned
The Aliens in Signs getting fucked over by
water
was more stupid than the aliens in TA being killed by bullets. Wrap yourself in saran wrap.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Thanos won't be the main villain in the next movie, but will probably send another army, or villain, and Thanos will come to Earth himself in the third movie.

Because when you think about it, Marvel doesnt really have any villains they own the rights to who can out villain Thanos. Unless they do a Civil War take for the third film.

Could also do Thunderbolts

Loki knew where the Cosmic Cube was, he had no interest in it.
He would take the Chitauri to the cosmic cube if they helped him flatten Earth.

The Cosmic Cube would help the Chitauris become one of the most powerful races in the universe and yada yada.

That's pretty simple.

Loki fails because his motivations were childish. And that's why he is with that face in the end of the movie. He'll get home, get a buttslap from daddy Odin, and escape his grounding to do more tricks.

Pretty much this. Everything to Loki was nothing more than a game a way to get under Thor's skin. The Chitarui were the real threat.
or at least the driving force behind them was i.e thano

789shadow

Banned
Also, I love how Black Widow is so awesome at interrogation that she fools the GOD OF LIES AND TRICKERY.

That's not sarcasm, she is awesome.

Zabka

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Thanos won't be the main villain in the next movie, but will probably send another army, or villain, and Thanos will come to Earth himself in the third movie.

Because when you think about it, Marvel doesnt really have any villains they own the rights to who can out villain Thanos. Unless they do a Civil War take for the third film.

I think I'd have a stroke if they did a movie based on the Korvac saga.

The Liberators from Ultimates 2 would be pretty ballsy.

Pretty sure that's going to be the tagline for when they make a Thunderbolts film.

That's for the Ultimates reboot

ultimates006_19.jpg

Been wondering. Was the eyeball extractor thingy that Loki used on the German scientist SHIELD tech or something built due to Hawkeye's 'vision' from the cube?

It's one of these things where I wouldn't be surprised if it is SHIELD tech, but it seems a bit... extreme for them to use.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Also, I love how Black Widow is so awesome at interrogation that she fools the GOD OF LIES AND TRICKERY.

That's not sarcasm, she is awesome.

Yeah I just saw it with my kids and was shocked at how awesome she was. I went in thinking she would be an afterthought but her and Hulk were my favorites. Tony too but Robert Downey Jr is always the shit no matter the movie. As for the movie proper: greatest pure superhero flick of all-time imo, especially considering the team aspect. Some truly incredible nerd moments as well which I went full geek on--my kids were trying to get me to stop cheering so hard. Pacing at the beginning is a little suspect but that'd be my only complaint really. And let it be said: Hulk is strongest one there is. Goddamn he got me so amped!!! Great, fun movie and if they pull off the Cosmic Cube saga.....

Let's get real here: the bad guy designs were absolute shit, vehicles and all. Excluding the giant Gears of War things.

EDIT: Forgot about unmarked spoilers.

Kinyou

Let's get real here: the bad guy designs were absolute shit, vehicles and all. Excluding the giant Gears of War things.

EDIT: Forgot about unmarked spoilers.
Wasn't even really the design for me, at least I think. Mostly it was that you just didn't get to see them clearly since they were constantly jumping/flying around. (the 3D didn't make it easier.... or that they were all grey)

Alucard

Banned
Questionable things about The Avengers:
-Opening scene. Clunky dialogue and awkward execution.
-Hero fights. Seem forced in parts.
-Character motivations. See above point.
-SHIELD carrier battle. Did anyone actually know what Iron Man was talking about with Cap? I felt kind of spaced out during the majority of that sequence. Didn't seem interesting.

That's about it. Loved the one-liners, most of the character interactions, the final action sequence, and the promise of Thanos. Very good summer blockbuster.

3N16MA

Banned
Questionable things about The Avengers:
-Opening scene. Clunky dialogue and awkward execution.
-Hero fights. Seem forced in parts.
-Character motivations. See above point.
-SHIELD carrier battle. Did anyone actually know what Iron Man was talking about with Cap? I felt kind of spaced out during the majority of that sequence. Didn't seem interesting.

That's about it. Loved the one-liners, most of the character interactions, the final action sequence, and the promise of Thanos. Very good summer blockbuster.

You mean when he was trying to get the engine going?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Did anyone actually know what Iron Man was talking about with Cap?

Was pretty straightforward to me. Fix cooling system, dislodge debris blocking fan rotor, restart engine through manual "jumpstart" by getting the rotor going, once its running on its own Cap disengages maglev bit to slow down the rotors at the bottom for Stark to escape.

Finally saw it. Waited for the matinee price.

What a shit-tacular shitty shitty movie.

I was rolling my eyes throughout the entire movie & my God what a entirely bad action sequence during the 2nd half.
Watch out for the nondescript/generic alien that come out of nowhere with their FLYING SEGWAY SCOOTERS OF DEATH!

Can't believe people think this is even remotely good. Even Bayformers was better than that crap I saw today.

Really???? I wouldn't want to be your friend you buzz killington

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hate how they gave Eric O'Grady a more classic/dorky costume. Looks so old-timey and dorky.

The dialogue was pretty clear on what had to be done, but RDJ did talk rather quickly.

That sequence was a little confusing to me, because at one point you spend more time with the other Avengers in the ship, that when it cut back to Iron Man pushing the rotor and then worrying about the "red switch", I thought, "Wait, what's going to happen again? Oh yeah, he'll get fucked up."

It was a pretty busy, chaotic sequence, but overall I thought it was pulled off very well. There was a lot of unnecessary techno-jargon though, and it is OH SO hard to pat Whedon on the back when he still slips in shit like "IN ENGLISH PLEASE".

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There was a lot of unnecessary techno-jargon though, and it is OH SO hard to pat Whedon on the back when he still slips in shit like "IN ENGLISH PLEASE".

Well, the first time the phrase was used by RDJ it felt to me like something appropriately condescending that Stark would say. Cap would have never used it if he wasn't present for that, and I thought it was a nice turnaround where he got to use the term back at him. If it wasn't used in the first circumstance, I agree it would have felt much more "Whedon-ismy" as some would put it.

marrec

Banned
Well, the first time the phrase was used by RDJ it felt to me like something appropriately condescending that Stark would say. Cap would have never used it if he wasn't present for that, and I thought it was a nice turnaround where he got to use the term back at him. If it wasn't used in the first circumstance, I agree it would have felt much more "Whedon-ismy" as some would put it.

Yes, it was a direct callback to Stark being Stark back on the ship. Which is an extremely Whedon thing to do.

The whole engine repair scene was perfectly clear. The only thing I thought was odd was that Steve knew what Stark meant in the first place when he told Cap to go to the relay panel (I forget what Stark called it). "Its, uh, electrical." kind of addresses what the audience is already thinking. And its off and moving again to the next sequence.

The whole engine repair scene was perfectly clear. The only thing I thought was odd was that Steve knew what Stark meant in the first place when he told Cap to go to the relay panel (I forget what Stark called it). "Its, uh, electrical." kind of addresses what the audience is already thinking. And its off and moving again to the next sequence.

Stark explains some would appear to be off and he should turn it on again.
I don't remember perfectly but weren't there red lights on and he switches it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom