• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Great review Korey and I, like Bob, would also have sex with your awesome banner. (That's what the GIF was for right?)

On Loki:

I really think the actor shined in this role, though he had more clear motivations and you sympathize with him more in Thor.

I'd say that Hiddleston effectively went toe to toe with RDJ in full Stark mode and made me feel like Stark was petty and scared. Their banter was great. It's also telling that he was at his most menacing when he was in the Hulk Cage. I want more Hiddleston Loki in my Marvel movies and I'm sure we're going to get it.

marrec

Banned
Yeah I know. It was in response to the post above. Because he was never running the show, he didn't really seem like a bad guy or a real threat on his own.

Did you watch Thor? He was always kind of not very evil not really a threat. He was very menacing in the Hulk Tank though and Hiddleston played the part of an exiled Demigod extremely well.

I think they intentionally wanted you to feel the biggest threat to the Avengers beating the Decepticons was the Avengers.

Evlar

Banned
Yeah I know. It was in response to the post above. Because he was never running the show, he didn't really seem like a bad guy or a real threat on his own.

Dude did stab Thor after being asked to look at the destruction his war was causing. His little science project caused a hell of a lot more damage to Manhattan than anything actually accomplished by other favored villains, such as Doc Oc.

I guess he's more charismatic in a way than some other villains, but I wouldn't call that a problem from a story point of view... He is, after all, Loki.

Sblargh

Banned
The bit where Nick Fury asks why he is the only person who wants seems to want to be in the helicarrier made him look very dangerous to me.

And then Hawkeye invades, the helicarrier starts to fall, Thor is trapped, Hulk is transformed, so on.
His plan almost works and all he does is sit in the prison. I think Loki is at his best when he is just watching, he is a threat by just being there. He loses a lot of his presence once the actual war begins.

Did you watch Thor? He was always kind of not very evil not really a threat. He was very menacing in the Hulk Tank though and Hiddleston played the part of an exiled Demigod extremely well.

I think they intentionally wanted you to feel the biggest threat to the Avengers beating the Decepticons was the Avengers.

No I haven't.
I guess I just didn't really like him as the 'villain' (or a character really) even if he wasn't supposed to be the biggest problem.

So did they ever explain why everyone understands Loki's English perfectly in Germany?

Maybe they assumed the audience had a basic dose of general knowledge about the use of language around the world, like the fact that English is known by a majority of Germans. Another bad call by Whedon?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Maybe they assumed the audience had a basic dose of general knowledge about the use of language around the world, like the fact that English is known by a majority of Germans. Another bad call by Whedon?

It mainly stands out due to the previous scene with Scarlett being in Russian.

Compared to a lot of other European countries the average German's English isn't really that great in my experience.

4) The plot and last act is almost identical to Transformers 3

The "huge threat" of the movie is really weird and doesn't pay off. On top of Loki being a horribad villain, he threatens earth with an army and it's just like no more than 60 generic monsters on flying jetskis and 3 big mech whales. That's his big plan? The biggest threat to earth is actually the nuke that SHIELD wants to blow up Manhattan with.

Also, the entire time I was watching the last act, I kept getting deja vu and wondering why everything seemed so familiar. Hours after the movie it hit me...

The last act of Avengers is basically:

Skaf1.jpg

BcuCO.png

JEGjW.png

HHKie.png

A6Gdu.jpg

dGpnn.png

A6Gdu.jpg

8wFej.jpg

Those screenshots are from Transformers 3, not The Avengers. Surprise! Basically the last act is almost exactly like Transformers 3. There's a big portal in the sky, powered by a beam of light from an object, right above a generic big urban city. On the other side of the portal is an evil race threatening to enslave humans and the hero(s) have to figure out a way to destroy the object powering the portal on the ground to close the portal effectively beating them. I think Avengers does it better than Transformers 3 (which was a movie I didn't like), yet it just seems so cliche at this point. Especially the fighting in a generic big city part. We've covered the same ground in Transformers 1 and 3, the Spider-man movies, etc., where there's a lot of opportunity to slam into big buildings and cause tons of destruction, there are endless amounts of cars to flip around, etc. This isn't really that big of a complaint, I just hope they take the opportunity to come up with some more awesome, unique, and epic sets in the next movie.

You are dead on with that part!

It was a like they used leftover footage of Transformers 3, CGed the Marvel Heroes in there & called it a wrap.

Did you forget the guy who stood up and spoke in English perfectly without any hint of an accent?

Sblargh

Banned
I think gods speak some kind of universal language. Like, why would he speak english in the first place? Because it's not english, it's like the Tardis translating everything.

You are dead on with that part!

It was a like they used leftover footage of Transformers 3, CGed the Marvel Heroes in there & called it a wrap.

Only The Avengers Last epic action scene you could see everything clearly, the one track shot of all the avengers doing there thing turned out badass, and all the action seemed coherent the entire way through. Like they were all really fighting something out of the city, versus robots that look the same, blowing shit up, then constantly going to slowmo.

Only The Avengers Last epic action scene you could see everything clearly, the one track shot of all the avengers doing there thing turned out badass, and all the action seemed coherent the entire way through. Like they were all really fighting something out of the city, versus robots that look the same, blowing shit up, then constantly going to slowmo.

And in Avengers I actually cared about shit getting blown up. I wanted to see the bad guy get smashed. In Transformers it was "Oh, here are the explosions." for like an hour. It felt like it had no proper build up. In Avengers I was wanting the heroes to kick ass and save the day while shit was exploding all around. In Transformers it was "Why am I seeing this shit explode?" People talk about no stakes in Avengers, when TF3 was the definition of zero stakes except for how many recruits the military could get from it.

Vyer

*sees trolls running wild, catering staff jokes and review post banners*

it appears film-GAF has commenced with the jumping of the sharks

Platy

Doc Brown told us that a Thunder Lightining Bolt has 1.21 gigawatts.

Considering Thor uses non mythical thunders, that the Mark 5 had full absorption and 0% of charge before, than 100% of charge = 302.5 megawatts

Now we need a blue ray screen to know how much power was left before the strike

Also, I kinda feel bad for nerding to this point =P

Vega

Just got back from my second viewing. This time in 2d. Even better!!!! This movie is definitely the quickest 2 and a half hours i've ever sat through.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Doc Brown told us that a Thunder has 1.21 gigawatts.

Considering Thor uses non mythical thunders, that the Mark 5 had full absorption and 0% of charge before, than 100% of charge = 302.5 megawatts

Now we need a blue ray screen to know how much power was left before the strike

Also, I kinda feel bad for nerding to this point =P

But thunder is just the sound :eek:

Mangotron

Just got back from seeing it. Was pretty good for what it was, the ending is pretty much a summer blockbusters greatest hits montage though. I laughed my ass off when Hulk went apeshit on Loki at the end! RDJ being RDJ and ScarJo's rear end were worth the cost of admission alone.

Concerning Loki, I never perceived him as the main bad guy through the movie. I interpreted it as he was being used, and agreed to the deal to get his childish revenge. He didn't care about the cube really. The aliens were taking advantage of his ego, and threatened to kill him if he didn't do as told.

I thought he did a great job.

About the last part being like TF3, I was thinking the same as I was watching it, lol. I have seen DOTM so many times, I couldn't help it. Aliens rushing through portals/space bridges, the battle cruisers looked like the decepticon ones. It all seemed familiar, though done much, much better than DOTM. I guess you could say Hulk was doing the god-prime run through the aliens like cons.

I would just like to note, I really liked this movie, but it's far from perfect. Still damn good though, and entertaining. Bay should take some notes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Article on how previs was used for Avengers:

As for the shooting style, the previs team gets notes from the director and then incorporates the DP's vision as soon as he or she is on board. For this film, Markel brought director Joss Whedon and cinematographer Seamus McGarvey into The Third Floor’s offices to scout digital locations. The company has three InterSense IS-900 virtual camera motion tracking systems that they use with Autodesk’s MotionBuilder. Those systems are similar to the ones they used while working with Robert Zemeckis on Beowulf and Mars Needs Moms, according to Markel. “Sometimes we use the systems for shot production,” he says. “But on this show they were purely for digital scouting, to give Joss and Seamus a sense of the locations and identify issues before shooting.”

Markel and the artists met weekly with Whedon for official reviews, but the director often stopped by at other times to look at the latest work. “He’s great,” Markel says. “He had a good sense of what he wanted. And the four of us — Joss [Whedon], Janek [Sirrs], Bryan [Andrews], and I — would collaborate. The way I approach previs is to get the creative part figured out. I don’t want the director to fall in love with something that’s impossible to shoot, but we want to provide an open canvas for creativity
. We keep the technical things in the back of our minds, but the hardest thing to achieve is the creative. Once we have an idea cut together as a previs edit, we can go back and see where technical issues might occur.”

Previs shot:
8VySY.jpg

Final shot:
rdJAe.jpg

And since people asked, a few more before/after shots (these were added to the fxguide.com roll call article):

h9pra.jpg

jWDKB.jpg

qafQY.jpg

l6qnz.jpg

They also put up another angle to that before/after shot I posted earlier with Cap jumping, along with bigger images:

xIhHe.jpg

Omj8i.jpg

xc3Uk.jpg

fxguide also posted an actual plate used during production:

http://cdn.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/MetLife_Roof_pano.tif.zip

50 MEG PANO from Avengers from ILM – 16 bit 4K plate element. TIFF file format. This image is very large ZIP file and may take sometime to download, but it is taken from the location in NY used as Stark’s apartment, the MetLife building in Manhattan. Copyright ILM & Marvel/Disney.

The file is essentially the original image of this capture:

hz56W.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom