• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

They tried so hard to make him badass, but I couldn't buy it.

A solider, even at 40 years old, should be in far better shape than he was. He looked like a frail old man from the start.

Soldiers aren't body builders. Skill means a lot more than strength.

3N16MA

Banned
Incredible Hulk is the weakest of the films? Did you watch Thor? Maybe I was the only one but I really enjoyed the pace of Incredible Hulk, it kept me engaged and Ed Nroton did a great job. Also Ed Norton and Liv Tyler had good chemistry. Much better than the stupid smirking Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth did all the way through Thor.

The real relationship to look at in Thor is the one between Thor and Loki. Hiddleston was great as Loki and the Portman/Hemsworth relationship was just a little side story.

They tried so hard to make him badass, but I couldn't buy it.

A solider, even at 40 years old, should be in far better shape than he was. He looked like a frail old man from the start.

Most soldiers at 40 are over weight asses that can't pass their PT test.

Beth Cyra

The real relationship to look at in Thor is the one between Thor and Loki. Hiddleston was great as Loki and the Portman/Hemsworth relationship was just a little side story.

This is my problem with Thor though.

Thor when it's Thor and Loki, or hell Thor and the rest of the Asgardians is a great film. Odin, Thor, Loki, Syph and The Warriors Three are all great.

Thing is the second it focuses on the people from earth the movie takes a dive into straight boring. Portman despite having a far larger role isn't half as likeable as Syph and the rest of human characters do nothing but waste time.

If they had just focuses on Asgard and didn't try to force the human element the movie would have been far more enjoyable. Granted they couldn't do that because of Thor needing to grow, but still it doesn't change the fact the humans are the worst part of the movie.

All IMO of course.

JdFoX187

Banned
This is my problem with Thor though.

Thor when it's Thor and Loki, or hell Thor and the rest of the Asgardians is a great film. Odin, Thor, Loki, Syph and The Warriors Three are all great.

Thing is the second it focuses on the people from earth the movie takes a dive into straight boring. Portman despite having a far larger role isn't half as likeable as Syph and the rest of human characters do nothing but waste time.

If they had just focuses on Asgard and didn't try to force the human element the movie would have been far more enjoyable. Granted they couldn't do that because of Thor needing to grow, but still it doesn't change the fact the humans are the worst part of the movie.

All IMO of course.

From what I remember of the movie, I agree. Stellan Skarsgard was the best of the humans because he was the only one that seemed to move the story along. Portman's character was just sort of there with some contrived romance that really didn't go anywhere, which made the ending feel undeserved. Thor's "redemption" was weak at best because he didn't have enough time to grow. They should have just cut that whole segment. None of it felt like it was earned at the end.

Dabanton

Tickets are all booked, can't wait. I have avoided anything past the first trailer for this so all of it should be fresh.

Zzoram

The tension between Iron Man and Captain America is interesting. Personally I like Robert Downey Jr. and his version of Tony Stark but I'm not as in love with it as the mainstream audience is. I think I like the other actors and characters about the same.

That's in the comics too I think. They were on opposite sides of registration after all. Their personalities also clash.

Cap is very straight arrow, Iron Man is very much a rebel.

Zzoram

Can the Rotten Tomatoes link in the OP be fixed? The joke isn't funny and people will want to see the real RT for this movie.

Zzoram

You do realize trailers are edited to hell and back and often feature scenes not in the movie. Relax man.

I remember when the Iron Man 2 scene where Stark says "You complete me" to Pepper was fun in the commercials but wasn't in the movie.

I actually like them using cut scenes or redone scenes for trailers because it reduces spoilers while still giving you a sense of what the movie is.

Khezu

So are Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansson also part of the Avengers or do they just assist?

This is joss whedon were talking about here, I fully expect BW to be the most competent member of the team and up saving the day in the end.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is joss whedon were talking about here, I fully expect BW to be the most competent member of the team and up saving the day in the end.

well with all the testosterone floating around, she may as well be the only competent one in the group.

apana

I was just wondering is the Avengers just a codename or do they have actual members who are called Avengers? I haven't seen Iron Man 2 so I don't know too much about her character. I thought there was some kind of distinction between the super heroes and the military types that help them out.

shira

I remember when the Iron Man 2 scene where Stark says "You complete me" to Pepper was fun in the commercials but wasn't in the movie.

I actually like them using cut scenes or redone scenes for trailers because it reduces spoilers while still giving you a sense of what the movie is.

I was waiting for that line and so I expected him to jump out the plane again later in the movie

sharbhund

In this interview, Kevin Feige confirms that The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have shared rights, so they can appear in both Fox's X-Men films and Disney's Avengers films. The Skrulls are in the same boat.

Zzoram

In this interview, Kevin Feige confirms that The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have shared rights, so they can appear in both Fox's X-Men films and Disney's Avengers films. The Skrulls are in the same boat.

I think it would be great if they could do Civil War for The Avengers 2, setting up the Registration in Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, and whatever other tie-in movies they are doing in the next two years. Then they could end Civil War with a reveal that the Skrulls ramped up the conflict (but make sure to note that Registration has merit and wasn't a Skrull idea) to weaken Earth for the looming invasion in The Avengers 3.

Beth Cyra

I think it would be great if they could do Civil War for The Avengers 2, setting up the Registration in Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, and whatever other tie-in movies they are doing in the next two years. Then they could end Civil War with a reveal that the Skrulls ramped up the conflict (but make sure to note that Registration has merit and wasn't a Skrull idea) to weaken Earth for the looming invasion in The Avengers 3.

Not having Spider Man during Civil War would be odd. Wolverine did some stuff, but he and the X Men for the most part could be overlooked but the Role Spidey played and how Stark had used him for a while would make things strange if he just didn't exist here.

Khezu

Neat, mags kids are my favorite avengers, would love to see them on the big screen, though super speed has never looked good in live action.

Also should do ultimate versions so we can have some creepy implied twin incest.

Zzoram

Not having Spider Man during Civil War would be odd. Wolverine did some stuff, but he and the X Men for the most part could be overlooked but the Role Spidey played and how Stark had used him for a while would make things strange if he just didn't exist here.

I guess.

The X-Men were largely left out of Civil War because after Decimation, the few remaining mutants left were all identified and registered already.

G-Fex

Neat, mags kids are my favorite avengers, would love to see them on the big screen, though super speed has never looked good in live action.

Also should do ultimate versions so we can have some creepy implied twin incest.

and Scarlett hitting on pym's robots.

Zzoram

Scarlet Witch's powers don't really make sense either. Altering reality? Overpowered much? Super speed also looks terrible in live action. I think it would be best to leave Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver out.

Even Ant Man would be a tough fit for the current Avengers team. How do they show him becoming a giant and stomping on bad guys, then in the next scene riding an ant as they swarm bad guys? It would be too hard to do in a way that didn't look ridiculously silly.

Black Panther could work, since he's kinda just Cap with claws instead of a shield in terms of fighting. However, any Black Panther movie would deal with Wakanda and this is Hollywood we're talking about. A country of super advanced Africans with an all-black cast is not going to be made into a movie.

sharbhund

Watch them appear in the First Class sequel as Magneto's long-lost siblings.

Can the Rotten Tomatoes link in the OP be fixed? The joke isn't funny and people will want to see the real RT for this movie.

Holy shit lol just realised this! That movie was a disservice, can never beat Diana Rigg.

rigg585_163474a.jpg

Khezu

I think they could just tone down wakanda, do away with all the tribal bullshit and there super tech, just make them like the US or any other super power, but they have a super special awesome metal that can make neat things and the rest of the world wants it, and even then keep the wakanda parts to the bare minimum.

I doubt any comic fan would really care if they changed it, not even BP fans give much of as shit about wakanda.

Black Panther could work, since he's kinda just Cap with claws instead of a shield in terms of fighting. However, any Black Panther movie would deal with Wakanda and this is Hollywood we're talking about. A country of super advanced Africans with an all-black cast is not going to be made into a movie.

I can imagine it already: Moon Knight & Black Panther get similar movies because they fill the same arch type as Bat Man

The Mad Knight Rises.

The Black Cat Begins.

Dram

Wouldn't a Black Panther movie be hard to do because people would associate it with the political group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom