• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my local theater in ct is only doing one midnight screen, in their smaller auditorium, in 3d. No 2d until next day, and no IMAX until next day. Wtf?
We usually only get the initial advance bookings in 3D and are allocated one "print" (In this case a hard drive as my current theatre is completely digital). We then take care of the advance show times for the midnight showing(s) and up until Thursday of the following week, for just that single print. Most films that are in 3D are marketed as in 3D so the majority of advertising is spent on hammering that point. Thus if we're allocated one print to schedule, it's a 3D one.

It isn't until closer to release that we receive more booking information (I.E. how many prints we will receive, if we will be receiving digital bookings in addition to the 3D ones, etc.) thus 2D (35MM or Digital) show times usually aren't added until a week prior, when we post the bookings.

Very rarely have we not had 2D shows to complement our 3D shows. I believe the only time we haven't in the past year has been for the 3D re releases (Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Titanic, etc.)

We usually only get the initial advance bookings in 3D and are allocated one "print" (In this case a hard drive as my current theatre is completely digital). We then take care of the advance show times for the midnight showing(s) and up until Thursday of the following week, for just that single print. Most films that are in 3D are marketed as in 3D so the majority of advertising is spent on hammering that point. Thus if we're allocated one print to schedule, it's a 3D one.

It isn't until closer to release that we receive more booking information (I.E. how many prints we will receive, if we will be receiving digital bookings in addition to the 3D ones, etc.) thus 2D (35MM or Digital) show times usually aren't added until a week prior, when we post the bookings.

Very rarely have we not had 2D shows to complement our 3D shows. I believe the only time we haven't in the past year has been for the 3D re releases (Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Titanic, etc.)

Do you work at the Rave theater in Manchester? Just curious.

And I know they usually have 2D showings to complement the 3D ones. It just seems odd that they are only selling one at the moment and not the other.

Thank you for the info though.

artist

Banned
animation1dcl71.gif

Cap uses guns?

Dram

Does anyone else find it strange were already getting an Avengers movie, but we haven't even heard a peep about a Justice League film? I wonder why Warner Brothers are dragging their feet on this.

artist

Banned
Dont remember .. never watched the whole movie in a sitting either.

Anyway, I think the best part of Avengers will be Ironman sequences despite Hulk's presence.

animation2iqj9s.gif

Does anyone else find it strange were already getting an Avengers movie, but we haven't even heard a peep about a Justice League film? I wonder why Warner Brothers are dragging their feet on this.

There was actually a JLA movie in some form of production a few years ago, but it never got off the ground. The script's out there, it's real weird.

DC's been having a real hell of a time making any characters that aren't Batman or Superman into movies. Wonder Woman was a non-starter for years, and while Green Lantern at least got made, it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Dram

Is Wonder Woman a non-starter because Catwoman bombed? I know there was an article that mentioned that was one of the reasons Warner Brothers stopped making actions movies with female leads.

ReiGun

Is Wonder Woman a non-starter because Catwoman bombed?

Sort of. They had been trying to get a Wonder Woman movie even before that and it never got off the ground. Catwoman was justification for not doing one, if anything.

Wonder Woman's main problem (and probably with every DC character that's not Bats and Supes) is that DC doesn't know what the hell to do with her.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dont remember .. never watched the whole movie in a sitting either.

Anyway, I think the best part of Avengers will be Ironman sequences despite Hulk's presence.

I have to agree with this. Basically IM 3 with some guest stars for me. RDJ <3

Sort of. They had been trying to get a Wonder Woman movie even before that and it never got off the ground. Catwoman was justification for not doing one, if anything.

Wonder Woman's main problem (and probably with every DC character that's not Bats and Supes) is that DC doesn't know what the hell to do with her.

The post-reboot Wonder Woman book has actually been really good, because it's used the greek mythology element to give her an origin that makes sense and a decent supporting cast. It's a great take on the character.

Unfortunately, Clash/Wrath of the Titans has kind of ruined the whole greek gods thing, so that treatment would have to wait a few years until those movies get forgotten.

Do you work at the Rave theater in Manchester? Just curious.

And I know they usually have 2D showings to complement the 3D ones. It just seems odd that they are only selling one at the moment and not the other.

Thank you for the info though.

No but once upon a time, I used to work for a smaller theatre chain in NYC and the logistics are a lot worse for smaller chains than larger ones. The bigger the theatre the more the studio cares, sadly.

I currently work for Regal Entertainment Group (Umbrella consisting of Regal Cinemas, Edwards & United Artists). I would not work for any other chain as REG is the largest in the world and shows signs of continuos growth.

Unlike AMC, truly a place for the denizens of hell to congregate.

JdFoX187

Banned
That's what I was expecting as well. Then again, it could go the other way. Iron Man 2 felt like it was three hours long. The more I think about it, the more that movie really was just plain bad.

For anyone who cares about the 3D glasses, AMC will have 4 different pairs come release in the US.

The catch? An extra $5 per pair.

They seem quality, they have thicker legs so they're more sturdy ala Saw 3D Special Edition 3D glasses.

Buy to keep 3D glasses?

You can always keep them :lol

Real D and certain production companies release special/limited edition 3D glasses. Usually a case or two per theatre.

Since they're actually charging $5 extra per pair I'm guessing they'll have more on hand.

No but once upon a time, I used to work for a smaller theatre chain in NYC and the logistics are a lot worse for smaller chains than larger ones. The bigger the theatre the more the studio cares, sadly.

I currently work for Regal Entertainment Group (Umbrella consisting of Regal Cinemas, Edwards & United Artists). I would not work for any other chain as REG is the largest in the world and shows signs of continuos growth.

Unlike AMC, truly a place for the denizens of hell to congregate.

Fellow REG employee? My man.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Cap uses guns?

You should see the movie Captain America the first Avenger.

Yup. Warner Bros should wait until they can get a good director who knows about the source material to do a Wonder Woman movie, though her origin and costume are both a bit weird.

BlueMagic

Should I see all the movies from before? I saw Iron Man 1 and I'm planning to see Thor this weekend, what else should I see?

Should I see all the movies from before? I saw Iron Man 1 and I'm planning to see Thor this weekend, what else should I see?

Captain America for sure. Incredible Hulk is really not as important to the set up of Avengers as the others. It is not an origin movie like the others.

Started my Marvel rewatch today. Did Iron Man 1 and then Thor. Was going to do Incredible Hulk to keep it in order, but the wife came home and wanted to see Chris Hemsworth.

JdFoX187

Banned
I figure I'll start my MCU re-watch this weekend. Still debating between watching the two Iron Mans back-to-back or watching the series in the order of release. First world problems, etc. Really curious to see Thor again, and Captain America, to a lesser extent.

Cartman86

Banned

Iron Man 2 (though it's not very good) and Captain America. The Incredible Hulk if you really want to. Make sure to sit through the credits of all of them.

apana

Captain America and Incredible Hulk, I have a hard time saying which one I liked better, probably Incredible Hulk just a little bit more. Thor is a mess of a film but the main actors are likeable, you will find something to enjoy. I didn't watch Iron Man 2, looked really annoying to me and I want to have a good feeling about the Iron Man character going into this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom