• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Ito reveals new previously unheard of cancelled(?) Silent Hill game

For reference, it wasn't a pachinko game but a video game. He speaks a bit about video game stuff right before this, he was posting about a project he was working on in 2008 and then moved on to talking about a Silent Hill game from 2013, though for the 2008 project he seemed more able to talk about it and the SH game he seemed to be more secretive on it.

He also posted some art for that unnamed sci-fi horror game he was working on in 2008, though says it wasn't SH related it was inspired by it with its character designs (he says the game had no monsters, but the character designs were very SH inspired). The art he posted for that:

Game screenshot (low-res here too as he doesn't post high-res of what he doesn't have rights to):

f0d6b0e316c53646d43e494d7980247d.png

Concept Art for that game:

C69gu1nVoAAPQYu.jpg:large
Why yes I would have liked to play Ito's Cryostasis.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

There was nowhere else to take the series after 3 anyways so I can't really feel disappointment about this game never being made.

Origins was extremely lackluster and every attempt to reinvent the series was a huge failure.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Ito has been tweeting a few things about this, he mentioned that while the monsters are sculpted to the person in the town they can't just be anything and there is a 'mold' to the creatures. While that's obviously Pyramid Head, there are actually a number of subtle changes to his design. His gloves aren't doctor gloves anymore but more a longer, almost leather looking kind. and there's a notable "fresh blood and shadow" theme going on. With Silent Hill 1 things looked burnt, in SH2 they looked decayed, and in SH3 they were womb-like. It seems whatever this SH game was about freshly drawn blood from what I can tell, as two big themes I notice in both pieces of art is freshly drawn dripping blood and shadows contrasting brightness.

Anyways, to the actual question Pyramid Head was not exclusive to James in its design, but the precise appearance was. One popular theory is that Pyramid Head is the 'wingman' of the Yellow Goddess in Silent Hill mythos, and Valtiel is the 'wingman' of the Red Goddess. There's a more proper name than 'wingman', but I forget what it is right now but they basically act as servant of the will to their Goddess. Someone who's looked into this more can probably do a much better job describing this than I could, but it's very heavily hinted Pyramid Head is like Valtiel and very close to the Goddess' in the Order's religion. And though Pyramid Head is the "Red Pyramid Thing", he's not actually the servant of the Red Goddess but the Yellow Goddess. I need to freshen up on the exact details before I could give a full explanation though.

That's way over-thinking things.

Pyramid Head was just a manifestation of James' guilt. He took the form he did because James saw that portrait of the hooded executioners at the museum when previously vacationing with Mary. In his own words he "needed someone to punish him" and thus the manifestation took the form of an entity designed to punish (an executioner).

Dusk Golem

There was nowhere else to take the series after 3 anyways....

I'd agree with you if Silent Hill was simply a story about the Mason family...

... and please, bear with me, Alucard. Silent Hill has a tendency to get me into rambling mode. ;)

The series, as shown by SH2, has a lot more potential for isolated, stand-alone stories than that. After Toyama left to join Sony Imamura wanted it to be a 'Twilight Zone' inspired anthology where the only connecting factor was really the town itself. It would allow them the freedom to make all sorts of stories dealing with all sorts of themes. Silent Hill 2 was the introduction to that idea, despite KCET corporate initially pushing for a more direct sequel to SH1.

Granted, it all comes down to the writing and direction. People like Imamura, Tsuboyama, Nakazawa, Sato, Ito, Owaku - they had it figured out. All of their input was abstract, but still grounded enough to make truly unique, horrific, and emotional stories. It wasn't just jump scares, or blood & guts, or disturbing imagery. There was something deeply lonely and uncomfortable about those early titles. They really rolled with the "a person's own imagination can be far more frightening than a monster" philosophy. That's a hard thing to pull off as a horror designer. It's why so many shit films and games rely on jump scares and extreme imagery. It's a temporary emotional reaction as opposed to a longer, slower creeping fear that stays with you.

Homecoming and Downpour tried the whole separate story thing, but both lacked the nuance and restraint to make anything other than projects that felt like mediocre (or in some cases, downright terrible) fanfiction. Downpour had some ok ideas buried under the jank, but everything Silent Hill related after the disintegration of the teams at KCET seemed heavily weighed down by clowns like Hulett and Shatsky. Digging through interviews and quotes from these guys (thanks goes to Twin Perfect for doing most of the grunt work) pretty quickly shows just how out-of-touch they were.

Then again, Konami has pretty much ruined every one of their great series in the past decade, so yeah. Silent Hill was always on very delicate creative ground due to the strange dreamlike quality of the early narratives. I was actually surprised it got a second game at all. It's just unfortunate that the delicate aspect wasn't padded and nurtured. It's unfortunate that the technical magicians within Team Silent weren't lifted up onto a pedestal and recognized within the company further. Instead the series was shoved into a fucking meat grinder and left out in the sun to rot. Even Ito couldn't create a picture disgusting enough to accurately portray it. :p

There was nowhere else to take the series after 3 anyways so I can't really feel disappointment about this game never being made.

I'll never understand why people ignore the existence o SH4. That game was great. I think the direction to go with the series was doing isolated stories like SH4 and SH2. The problem is that Climax, Double Helix and whoever made Downpour were absolutely not the people to pass the series off to. Shattered Memories had a great story but the act of actually playing that game is awful and the rest of the games from those three companies were mostly terrible with some mildly interesting things sprinkled in them.

I'll never understand why people ignore the existence o SH4. That game was great. I think the direction to go with the series was doing isolated stories like SH4 and SH2. The problem is that Climax, Double Helix and whoever made Downpour were absolutely not the people to pass the series off to. Shattered Memories had a great story but the act of actually playing that game is awful and the rest of the games from those three companies were mostly terrible with some mildly interesting things sprinkled in them.

I will say I appreciate that people do ignore the existence of Book of Memories.
What a steaming mound of shit. That kind of stink only goes away when you completely lose your senses and even then it takes a head injury to lose the memory.

Ahasverus

Origins was extremely lackluster and every attempt to reinvent the series was a huge failure.
You're insane. The order story, maybe, but even the newer games have amazing lore. The town is a fantastic character with a strong established history that can fit almost every psychological drama story you could ever conceive.

Konami really missed the boat, as Silent Hill would have easily been an evergreen franchise.

I think we're coming full circle in the SH mythos where Pyramid Head has been featured so prominently in the series that he's become sort of it's star. The next game you'll play as him and the town will torture him with dozens of variations of himself being so incessantly infatuated with being put on display everywhere. I guess maybe it'd be kind of like Perfect Blue.

I'd agree with you if Silent Hill was simply a story about the Mason family...

You're insane. The order story, maybe, but even the newer games have amazing lore. The town is a fantastic character with a strong established history that can fit almost every psychological drama story you could ever conceive.

Konami really missed the boat, as Silent Hill would have easily been an evergreen franchise.

I wasn't talking about the story, I was referring to the gameplay. Fixed Camera Survival Horror was already stale by the time SH3 came out and that game more or less completely sucked the well dry of of what was left.

I'll never understand why people ignore the existence o SH4.

SH4 is actually a really good example of what I'm talking about. They realized that the same old design was getting beyond stale, but couldn't commit to a radical overhaul and instead made a bunch of lesser changes for the sake of making changes, resulting in a very flawed and frustrating (but still good overall) experience that in many ways was worse mechanically than the original PS1 game.

I will say I appreciate that people do ignore the existence of Book of Memories.
What a steaming mound of shit. That kind of stink only goes away when you completely lose your senses and even then it takes a head injury to lose the memory.

Book of Memories isn't even that bad for a fanservice game, plus that joke ending was legendary

Ahasverus

I think we're coming full circle in the SH mythos where Pyramid Head has been featured so prominently in the series that he's become sort of it's star. The next game you'll play as him and the town will torture him with dozens of variations of himself being so incessantly infatuated with being put on display everywhere. I guess maybe it'd be kind of like Perfect Blue.
Downpour already flirted with this

Top Bottom