• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Ito reveals new previously unheard of cancelled(?) Silent Hill game

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Shiggy

Maybe Hexa Drive can make a new Silent Hill game after just bringing Bomberman, another Konami property, back to "glory".

If it was 2013 it was probably the backdrop to some pachinko machine or something.

Honestly, this is probably true. As much as my inner desire is shouting to me ' A NEW SILENT HILL OMG', this is Konami from a few years ago. They probably asked him to draw some backgrounds for an upcoming SH game but didn't specify to him what sort, then turn his art into backdrops for a pachinko machine.

Nonetheless, very interesting and it's good to know Ito is still into Silent Hill. Thanks for sharing!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Meia

Silent+Hill+2+shot+25.jpg

Konami is the absolute worst. "Hey, a Silent Hill may game may turn out to be decent again CUT IT!"

addik

Man, the art itself is already taking me back to Silent Hill :(

Sad how Konami has treated this franchise. The Team Silent games really did push the limits of the medium and took it to places we would have never thought would be.

Cardon

Very interesting. I vaguely recall hearing about that SCE game, in very minor detail, back in the day. I wonder what's going on with that SH game if he can't discuss it more.

MiguelItUp

Man, I swear the Silent Hill wound is something that will never properly heal. :(

It's cool to hear about this, but at the same time, it just fuels my Konami rage even further.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For reference, it wasn't a pachinko game but a video game. He speaks a bit about video game stuff right before this, he was posting about a project he was working on in 2008 and then moved on to talking about a Silent Hill game from 2013, though for the 2008 project he seemed more able to talk about it and the SH game he seemed to be more secretive on it.

He also posted some art for that unnamed sci-fi horror game he was working on in 2008, though says it wasn't SH related it was inspired by it with its character designs (he says the game had no monsters, but the character designs were very SH inspired). The art he posted for that:

Game screenshot (low-res here too as he doesn't post high-res of what he doesn't have rights to):

f0d6b0e316c53646d43e494d7980247d.png

Concept Art for that game:

C69gu1nVoAAPQYu.jpg:large

This looks crazy awesome

Lime

Reminds me Of the game they talked about using horror in sunlight after SH4

Damn I was excited and then no info all of a sudden and then shitty The collective / double helix making a slasher game

Fuck I love silent hill 1-4 so much, I miss a lot of those artists so much

Would have been amazing to see a game again :(

Lime

Someone please rescue Silent Hill.

Or if nothing else please rescue Masahiro Ito.

I'd settle for the original games on PSN and Steam in their original format or by Bluepoint, along with a hefty art book including interviews with the old members of Team silent.

I might die if that ever happened. But you know fuck konami so fucking much.

UrbanRats

Why do Silent Hill fans always get hurt like this? : (

I'm fine with no more Silent Hill, tbh.
It's not like you watch 2001 A Space Odyssey and immediately expect a sequel, so i'm fine considering SH 1-4 all there is.

But the people behind those games working on Pachinko shit and mobile shovel ware, or in general being invisible and creatively impotent, annoys me to no end.

A russian sci-fi horror game with Ito on board? It really is something too good to be true ;( That concept art is pretty rad, too bad we'll never see anything out of it.

This looks crazy awesome
Having admired Ito-san's artwork for well over a decade, it would appear that conceptualization of the Russian sci-fi horror project began somewhere close to 2006 based on images from his official website. If you start from the top of the paintings section (while being mindful of some sensual imagery), the entire third row along with parts of the fourth seem dedicated to the production. I wasn't aware these works actually belonged to an unfortunately scrapped game until fairly recently. I was actually under the impression they were simply a "subject matter" study that he explored in his art book, The 2nd Wild Pig, which was released at Comiket 74; however, it has been difficult to obtain exact details about its content despite remarks from the artist about making his work available in the West in some form or another. Ultimately, it appears a multi-media project called Acid Bufferzone has cannibalized remnants of the material shared between figurines and seemingly a manga series from Ito-san as well.

Not sure this warrents "Fuck Konami" posts. Projects that aren't publicly announced are interally cancelled all the time. Konami clearly went with Silent Hills over this project (though we all know what happened with that).

-shadow-

Shame because I'd love to see a new game in the series. While I don't find these games scary, not even a bit (sorry people), I absolutely love the atmosphere and stories. I truly do hope that some day some company will talk Konami into a new game like how Nintendo managed to get a new, and normal, Bomberman.

But they didn't cut Shattered Memories or Downpour though?

Good ideas, but piss poor execution unfortunately. Though I guess Unreal 3 really threw some mud into the development of that game.

Not sure this warrents "Fuck Konami" posts. Projects that aren't publicly announced are interally cancelled all the time. Konami clearly went with Silent Hills over this project (though we all know what happened with that).

Konami already mismanaged the IP for a while, so having Ito himself working again the series seems like it could, in style at least be a classic again. So having this just feels like a typical Konami move.

HeelPower

Strangely enough, he says it wasn't Silent Hills.

If not Silent Hills,What else could've been a SH game being considered around the year 2013 ?

Persona7

Banned
Strangely enough, he says it wasn't Silent Hills.

If not Silent Hills,What else could've been a SH game being considered around the year 2013 ?

Maybe they had one project that was cancelled and then the remains went off to Kojima and Del Toro to continue. Or several projects going at once.

At this point, I'll take a shitty Silent Hill game. Just give me another one Konami.

NRmXp32.gif

Macrotus

Don't give up hope.

We still have a chance of it being release as a Pachinko game.
Or maybe a mobile game.
Want to re-roll till I get that SSR Pyramid Head. jk

I see you all too there.... In my restless dreams....

I actually just wish Ito flat out worked more, his talent is undeniable in evoking certain uh uncomfortable feelings.

Top Bottom