• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masayori Oka (Heroes) to produce Mega Man film

Didn't saw a thread about this, nor a post on the community. Cancel me if old.

So, Masi Oka, who played Hiro Nakamura on tv series "Heroes", is producing a Mega Man film. As a producer, his latest film was, to my surprise, Netflix's Death Note. This part crushed my soul. I might be biased, since I watched Death Note last week and to me it was more of a live action abridged of Death Note than anything else. And with the new Mega Man cartoon from Men of Action (Ben 10) coming next year, I can only hope it's at least decent and pays some homage to the videogames. Here are some quotes from an interview he had with Collider recently about Death Note and this project:

Are you still working on producing a Mega Man movie?

OKA: We've just started the Mega Man movie. The writer/directors are working on a script right now, and we're just in the beginning development stages of that.

What are you most excited about with that, and are there challenges specific to producing a story that's based on a best-selling video game vs. a hugely popular manga?

OKA: With manga, there's a lot of character development and it's a serialized story. With a video game, it's about game mechanics. The story might be a little bit lighter. There are definitely challenges with that, but I'm excited because our directors are big fans of the game. With anything animated, a game property, or anything IP, you want to make sure the filmmakers are huge fans because they'll show a respect for the property and understand, at the core, what makes that property great. I don't know where it's going to go yet, but I am excited about Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman. They're great filmmakers and they're really big fans of Mega Man.

I'm not gonna lie, Mega Man is THE number 1 video game franchise for me, and I can't stand the lack of support to it since Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled. After that it was just one bad thing after another: Rockman Xover, no new projects and even it's spiritual successor, Might Nº9, was hot trash. It only gets respect in the form of Smash and the upcoming Marvel vs Capcom. It's really sad, as a huge Mega Man fan, to see what it has come to. I just want the Blue Bomber to get a break, and so I can only hope that the cartoon and the film are good, even though everything I've seen from the first (concept art plus the intro) doesn't seem to indicate so, and the producer from the second just recently gave us a comedy adaptation of Death Note. Still, gotta keep those hopes up, for everlasting peace. At this rate I'll have to become a film maker/animator/game designer to make Mega Man the justice it deserves. Well, one can dream. What are your thoughts GAF?

EDIT: forgot to add the source http://collider.com/masi-oka-death-note-nega-man-movie-interview/#meg

Jawmuncher

Save the Megaman save the world

Also I gotta say the lack of MM support might be bad for fans. But it could be a hell of a lot worse. Id kill for Dino Crisis to just be getting ports, merchandise, comics, and guaranteed crossover slots at this point.

badboxart-megaman-sfxt-gif.gif

Ridley327

Whatever issues that people had with Death Note, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Masi Oka's involvement as a producer and a 10-second cameo aren't the reasons why you feel the way you do about it.

Wow I loved Death Note. I was so geeked how Lakeiths L portrayal was 1:1! That was crazy! You could tell he was a fan! I had alot of fun watching that movie. With the ending, will they be making a sequel? I mean the story was nowhere resolved

poodaddy

Gold Member
I don't understand why Capcom doesn't contract Adi Shankhar for an animated Netflix show ala Castlevania. Ill take that over this any day of the week.

It is, actually, that's what I meant when I labeled it as an abridged. The climax had me laughing really hard, You enjoy it more if you don't think of it as a 1:1 adaptation of Death Note.

To be honest, I loved the movie and I feel like it goes way out of its fucking way to tell you it's not a direct adaptation and I don't know why people can't separate them out.

It is, actually, that's what I meant when I labeled it as an abridged. The climax had me laughing really hard, You enjoy it more if you don't think of it as a 1:1 adaptation of Death Note.

It's an enjoyable movie but not for the right reason. It's like making fun of something or someone.

To be honest, I loved the movie and I feel like it goes way out of its fucking way to tell you it's not a direct adaptation and I don't know why people can't separate them out.

I did. The movie isnt bad because it's based on or called Death Note. It's bad because it is bad. The writing is terrible, the acting, save for L, is terrible, the soundtrack is laughable, the tension is inexistant and the confrontations and plot twists are boring and expected.

jett

D-Member
This is the kind of thing I don't understand.

Mega Man barely has a story.
The IP is dead and virtually has no traction with mainstream audiences.

Why would you even. There's no reason to do this.

Pinky

Banned
For so many years, I always thought Doc Brown/Christopher Lloyd would've made a perfect Dr. Wily for a live-action movie. His appearance in BttF was already 90% close.

doc.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Please, by all means. Make a mountain of liquid shit costing millions upon millions, but don't you dare do something like Sonic Mania and make a Megaman 11 with 7-8 style spritework.

Top Bottom