• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 DLC "The Arrival" [Update: Gameplay Demo Post 674]

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
a Master Ninja said:
Why are Reapers so chatty? For being incomprehensible and unstoppable beings, Sovereign and Harbinger sure enjoy taking a moment to rub it in the face of a mere mortal.

Sovereign talks to you only once, doesnt he?

Crunched said:
Yeah, but he reveals everything in that one exchange. You can probe him for the Repears' entire plan.
Right except he doesn't spend the rest of the game saying stuff like

"I KNOW YOU CAN FEEL THIS"
"I KNOW THIS HURTS YOU"
"WE ARE YOUR SALVATION"

over and over and over again. Harbinger just won't shut the fuck up.

Coxswain

a Master Ninja said:
Why are Reapers so chatty? For being incomprehensible and unstoppable beings, Sovereign and Harbinger sure enjoy taking a moment to rub it in the face of a mere mortal.
Because Reapers are assholes.

(Honestly I don't know why so many people seem to take Sovereign's "you cannot understand" spiel at face value when the obvious alternative is that his entire speech is the Ancient-Evil-AI equivalent of "neener neener, fuck you Shepard". Harbinger is just the annoying little brother in that situation.)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Lame.

Figured out that I've done the DLC on different characters. Will that cause me problems in ME3?

Coxswain said:
Because Reapers are assholes.

(Honestly I don't know why so many people seem to take Sovereign's "you cannot understand" spiel at face value when the obvious alternative is that his entire speech is the Ancient-Evil-AI equivalent of "neener neener, fuck you Shepard". Harbinger is just the annoying little brother in that situation.)

Maybe he was just too embarrassed to say "we want to make a baby with the galaxy".

Coxswain

Fimbulvetr said:
Maybe he was just too embarrassed to say "we want to make a baby with the galaxy".
Just imagine the Turian Councilor's reaction to Shepard kicking down the door, bursting into the Citadel tower, doing that slam-hands-down-on-table-and-lean-forward animation, then shouting, "The Reapers are real, and they're trying to make a rape baby with my entire species! (What? No, I killed it, I can't show you, it's... it's gone now.)"

Grisby

Coxswain said:
Just imagine the Turian Councilor's reaction to Shepard kicking down the door, bursting into the Citadel tower, doing that slam-hands-down-on-table-and-lean-forward animation, then shouting, "The Reapers are real, and they're trying to make a rape baby with my entire species! (What? No, I killed it, I can't show you, it's... it's gone now.)"

I predict lots of air quotations.

jackdoe

Coxswain said:
I mean, all of this nonsense would be solved if Shepard and his away team had a video feed being recorded. Then they could record Sovereign's and Harbinger's long monologues and the Council would accept it as proof since they accepted an audio recording in less than ten seconds as "Irrefutable evidence of Saren's betrayal".

The Council/Alliance ignoring the Reaper threat reminds me of the judge in Ghostbusters 2 who acted like the Ghostbusters were crazy.

"Ghosts? That's crazy talk. That giant marshmallow man was just a figment of our collective imaginations."

"Reaper? No. That was just a really strong breeze that wrecked the Citadel."

Well there is still that reaper IFF hooked up to Normany 2. But I guess it would be awkward for Shepard to explain why there is an AI on board the ship.

Anyways considering the fact that Reapers are already invading and blowing things up I don't think Shep has to worry about proving their existence.

On the other hand
Shepard might need a better reason than "Another crazy alien artifact shot visions into my head" for blowing up an entire solar system.

McNum

Lostconfused said:
Well there is still that reaper IFF hooked up to Normany 2. But I guess it would be awkward for Shepard to explain why there is an AI on board the ship.

Anyways considering the fact that Reapers are already invading and blowing things up I don't think Shep has to worry about proving their existence.

On the other hand
Shepard might need a better reason than "Another crazy alien artifact shot visions into my head" for blowing up an entire solar system.
"It was full of Batarians."
Well, at least Renegade Shepard might go for that.

Still, if Shepard needs a good excuse or similar, he's got
Liara as the Shadow Broker on speed dial. Shepard even has direct access to her database. If anyone transmitted anything about this, she'd know. And by extension, so will Shepard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lostconfused said:

On the other hand

Hey guys look a derelict Reap-oh we dropped it into the brown dwarf it was orbiting...

That could have really helped us convince the galactic community.

Oh well!

Kyoufu

Lostconfused said:
Right except he doesn't spend the rest of the game saying stuff like

"I KNOW YOU CAN FEEL THIS"
"I KNOW THIS HURTS YOU"
"WE ARE YOUR SALVATION"

over and over and over again. Harbinger just won't shut the fuck up.

YOU WILL KNOW PAIN, LOSTCONFUSED

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shinobi602 said:
I don't really think anyone will need convincing when the Reapers actually invade and start slaughtering millions of people.

There is a thing called preparation...

Montresor

The Arrival just doesn't look appealing at all. I'm a completionist so I will have to download this eventually. But right now it looks too expensive for not enough game play time. And the achievements are so silly. None of them sound hard or creative at all, and the score is going to end in an ungodly ugly number (1355).

So I don't know if this was mentioned before but is the Arrival foreshadowing the end of ME3?

To destroy the Reapers, Shepherd has to destroy the mass relay in Earth's system - sacrificing Earth but ultimately saving the galaxy?

Pollux

PaddyOCanager said:
So I don't know if this was mentioned before but is the Arrival foreshadowing the end of ME3?

To destroy the Reapers, Shepherd has to destroy the mass relay in Earth's system - sacrificing Earth but ultimately saving the galaxy?

that would be fucking awesome....seriously. to many games have endings where there are no real hard choices...but damn son...your idea takes the cake....love it.

Patryn

PaddyOCanager said:

Probably not. If it was foreshadowing anything it's going to be
Shepard's trial. The asteroid thing is just a callback to Bring Down the Sky, where you stop Batarians from blowing up a planet with an asteroid.

Sai

jackdoe said:
I mean, all of this nonsense would be solved if Shepard and his away team had a video feed being recorded. Then they could record Sovereign's and Harbinger's long monologues and the Council would accept it as proof since they accepted an audio recording in less than ten seconds as "Irrefutable evidence of Saren's betrayal".
According to Ashley, they did have their suit recordings, in ME1 at least.

I guess proving that a Spectre's gone rouge is far more acceptable than trying to prove that a giant fleet of sentient machines are waiting in dark space to repeat a cycle of extinction that's been going on for millions upon millions of years. Audio recordings just don't cut it. lol

Sai

HK-47 said:
Hey guys look a derelict Reap-oh we dropped it into the brown dwarf it was orbiting...

That could have really helped us convince the galactic community.

Oh well!
It's not like they had much of a choice once they were trapped within it's kinetic barriers. I'm more curious as to why Cerberus didn't try to recover the derelict Reaper before sending in a team to retrieve it's IFF and losing their minds to indoctrination. I guess the game logic would be that getting the IFF was made priority so as to reduce the number of human lives taken, but I imagine retrieving irrefutable proof of the Reapers' existence and getting some actual help from the Council would save more lives, human included, in the long run.

kai3345

Banned
PaddyOCanager said:

this would be cool

malfcn

Been slowly starting to play ME2 again. Bought it day 1, then shelved it. Got all the DLC when it was on sale, but keep getting distracted by other games.

One thing that bothered me, and continues to do so is Shepard, and his neck. Often I start running around, and he cocks his neck to the side..and starts looking at some bizarre angle. Anyone else notice this? It is like he got stuck looking at something.

Sai

malfcn said:
Been slowly starting to play ME2 again. Bought it day 1, then shelved it. Got all the DLC when it was on sale, but keep getting distracted by other games.

One thing that bothered me, and continues to do so is Shepard, and his neck. Often I start running around, and he cocks his neck to the side..and starts looking at some bizarre angle. Anyone else notice this? It is like he got stuck looking at something.
Yeah, happens all the time. Stand still for a moment, allow his neck to "reset"... lol

Patryn said:
Probably not. If it was foreshadowing anything it's going to be
Shepard's trial. The asteroid thing is just a callback to Bring Down the Sky, where you stop Batarians from blowing up a planet with an asteroid.

When I was at SDCC, they did tell our group that Arrival did indeed have carry-over consequences. I have exactly no idea what they could be, but that's what they said.

malfcn

Got it. Will play it sometime before 3 hits. I'm worried to ever delete the disc from the hDD as there is a huge crack in it. For some reason both ME2 and SSF4 discs fell apart on me. Never had that happened before.

Acidote

I bought and played through it yesterday. Just more slightly below average gameplay. Lair of the Shadow Broker set the bar really high.

Acidote said:
I bought and played through it yesterday. Just more slightly below average gameplay. Lair of the Shadow Broker set the bar really high.
I'm glad they priced them accordingly though, seeing Shadow Broker at 800 and then Arrival at 560 let's me know there's less content

Top Bottom