• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

Skelter

Banned
Trying to get controller support working but I keep getting an error and I can't download dybuks mapping power fix. :/

knerl

http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/me1-controller-support-power-wheel-t2036.html
The mod itself is hosted on nexus, btw.

I am using it currently on my plathrough. With the exception of a few minigames, it is basically the 360 interface on PC. Be aware, however, that when the mod is installed, the normal PC interface becomes unusable.

YES! Still blows my mind that even with the interface still existing in the PC-versions of all three games Bioware didn't just make use of the existing controller support from the X360.
Finally! Good times ahead!

EDIT: Easy to install, works with the MEUITM mod and it works great overall. Just what I would expect from official support.
Using an Xbox One controller, the wireless windows adapter and this is very pleasant.

Quick question. Installed the controller mod for ME1 but most keyboard bindings don't seem to work. Any recommendations as to how to go about taking STEAM screenshots?

Thanks!

Prologue

Is it really that much of a difference playing the trilogy with all the 4k textures? I was thinking about playing them on ps3 again, but might just wait so I can have all the bells and whistles.

Lime

Is it really that much of a difference playing the trilogy with all the 4k textures? I was thinking about playing them on ps3 again, but might just wait so I can have all the bells and whistles.

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. Vanilla textures are abhorrent to look at at their original 256x256 resolution. Plus, you get a lot of mesh mods that allows for different types of armors and hairs for the different characters, at least in ME3's case. As well as a proper ending without all the bullshit (MEHEM)

screenshot_2014-07-09evoxq.png
screenshot_2014-07-12ghuw9.png
screenshot_2014-07-09lfsm2.png
screenshot_2014-07-09p4slx.png
screenshot_2014-07-12rnu2b.png
screenshot_2014-07-121hscm.png
masseffect32013-12-17sdsmx.png
screenshot_2014-07-12wqq0t.png
masseffect32013-12-17g7cqs.png

ME1 doesn't have any texture mods though (the ones that are out there takes way too many liberties).

Mivey

Tried it, no luck.

Anyone have any recommendations?
If you are on an Nvidia GPU, the recent Beta of their Geforce experience thing has a screenshot functionality. Since the program itself is usually automatically installed, you would just have to join the Beta somehow

jgwhiteus

I put in a couple of dollars for the fundraiser way back when, and I finally got around to trying this out for ME3. I'm impressed; feels pretty natural and I haven't really noticed any bugs, besides some weirdness with the graphics options resetting.

My one frustration when I first booted it up was that there was no option to invert the right x-axis in-game as well as the y-axis (I realize this is a limitation of the game itself and not the mod), and I'm used to inverting both axes from a lot of open world games. My aiming was terrible at first due to muscle memory. And for some reason there aren't really good options to customize / remap XInput out there.

So I ended up switching my controller to Direct Input and used X360CE to invert the right x-axis, and now aiming and changing the camera feels pretty natural to me. Looking forward to maybe trying out the mods for ME2 and ME1 someday as well, and playing these all on the couch.

inner-G

Banned
I have ME1 on disc(s)

Does it matter which version you have for this (do you have to get the mod through Steam or something)?

Random17

I have ME1 on disc(s)

Does it matter which version you have for this (do you have to get the mod through Steam or something)?

MEUITM mod is an external installer. Doesn't matter what version you have afaik. Some people think Origin might be an issue, but it never bothered me with ME3.

GavinUK86

What is the cheapest way to purchase these games + all the DLC for PC?

Origin and, unfortunately, paying the shitty price for the DLC.

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. Vanilla textures are abhorrent to look at at their original 256x256 resolution. Plus, you get a lot of mesh mods that allows for different types of armors and hairs for the different characters, at least in ME3's case. As well as a proper ending without all the bullshit (MEHEM).

Anyone know where to get these 4K textures Lime was talking about and are there any for ME2?

robgrab

I bought Leviathan, Omega, and Citadel for $26 before Christmas from Gamestop. Not exactly a fire sale but the only time I've ever seen discounted DLC so I jumped on it.

SugarDave

This is unrelated to controller support but I was wondering about getting the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME1 on PC.

I have the trilogy edition version of ME1 on Origin which comes with it apparently, but I was hoping to play the game on Steam. Is there a way to get it or somehow move it over to the Steam version?

Yes, I know the DLC blows but it'll bug me if I don't have the 'complete' game.

Geist-

This is unrelated to controller support but I was wondering about getting the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME1 on PC.

I have the trilogy edition version of ME1 on Origin which comes with it apparently, but I was hoping to play the game on Steam. Is there a way to get it or somehow move it over to the Steam version?

Yes, I know the DLC blows but it'll bug me if I don't have the 'complete' game.

Sent you a message.

SliChillax

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. Vanilla textures are abhorrent to look at at their original 256x256 resolution. Plus, you get a lot of mesh mods that allows for different types of armors and hairs for the different characters, at least in ME3's case. As well as a proper ending without all the bullshit (MEHEM)

ME1 doesn't have any texture mods though (the ones that are out there takes way too many liberties).

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effe...ents-mod/images/alliance-marine-wip2#imagebox

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Controller mod now hosted on the Nexus.
(Perhaps the first post can be updated?)

Mass Effect 1
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/60/?

Mass Effect 2
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect2/mods/62/?

Mass Effect 3
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/407/?

important note regarding ME3 - controller mod requires the mod manager below:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/373/?

This is awesome stuff!

The only thing holding me back from pulling the pin on a full re-buy (own everything on X360 at the moment including every armor and skin DLC) is knowing if all 3 mods include some form of aim-assist: I've asked before and got a yes from Dybuk I think, but a mate has these installed and he reckons they don't seem to..just wanted to be sure from anyone who is currently using them?

Aim-assist with controller is pretty much required IMO, straight mouse emulation would be too wish-washy on Insanity I reckon.

Also, anyone know the best way to buy everything? Just straight Origin, or is there some archive of awesome deals I'm unaware of :D

Edit: Question was answered in the Nexus forums - all 3 have Aim Assist, now: to find the best deals on everything for PC to rebuy!

Bizzquik

All credit to Dybuk and FemShep for really picking up the pieces from Moonshine.

Gotta say it's cool that they keep tinkering, too. (Adding localizations, etc)

I'll play ME1 again just because of this. I have it in Origin though so I think I'll wait for the next time it's on sale on Steam.

since i installed this mod, my controller support for most other games (witcher 3, dark souls 2, etc.) has stopped working. can anyone help?

edit: fuck it, i give up, tired of working on it.

Xbudz

This is amazing work. Bump.
Hopefully EA doesn't try to release the PC version of Mass Effect Andromeda without controller support!

I've been following this actively but have missed this thread. I'll update the OP with all. Relevant info.

Additionally I've put about 59 hours in me3 MP with controller support and it's been flawless

I've been following this actively but have missed this thread. I'll update the OP with all. Relevant info.

Additionally I've put about 59 hours in me3 MP with controller support and it's been flawless

Working through ME1 on PC right now and the controller mod is perfect.

I'd like to go ahead and start playing ME3 multiplayer, but just so I'm clear - there are two separate controller mods and I need to uninstall one and install the other in order to get each one to work?

I'll play ME1 again just because of this. I have it in Origin though so I think I'll wait for the next time it's on sale on Steam.
Just add it to Steam as a non-Steam game.

I want to play the trilogy sometime soon ish on PC. Any other necessary mods?

However, a few posts above said these mods broke controller working for tier games which scares me.

However, a few posts above said these mods broke controller working for tier games which scares me.
Yeah, I'd recommend just sticking to the controller mods. Other mods don't seem to play well with them.

galv

Unconfirmed Member

From what I know of Mass Effect modding and controller mods, the original controller mod for ME2 worked by editing the coalesced.ini (or whatever it's called) file and adding a bunch of key bindings to it. The hard part of that mod was getting a working radial menu in game, which could be done because the 360 buttons etc were still in the PC port.

Most mods also edit the coalesced.ini file which means it'll overwrite your controller stuff. I believe certain mod managers are able to merge the .ini files, so that may be something you want to look into and that should help getting both the mod and the controller working in Mass Effect.

The ME1 texture mod MEUITM is amazing and works fine with the controller mod. Trust me, you don't want to play ME1 without MEUITM :)

Yeah, I'd recommend just sticking to the controller mods. Other mods don't seem to play well with them.

From what I know of Mass Effect modding and controller mods, the original controller mod for ME2 worked by editing the coalesced.ini (or whatever it's called) file and adding a bunch of key bindings to it. The hard part of that mod was getting a working radial menu in game, which could be done because the 360 buttons etc were still in the PC port.

Most mods also edit the coalesced.ini file which means it'll overwrite your controller stuff. I believe certain mod managers are able to merge the .ini files, so that may be something you want to look into and that should help getting both the mod and the controller working in Mass Effect.

The ME1 texture mod MEUITM is amazing and works fine with the controller mod. Trust me, you don't want to play ME1 without MEUITM :)

Thanks, I'll definitely check out MEUITM mod. Does KB/M play OK?

Sure, it's fine. Feels a little sluggish compared to the controller, though. The game was designed for Xbox 360 initially.
How do you figure it feels sluggish? I enjoy ME on a controller too, but mouselook + more hotkeys is arguably faster and more accurate (not that aim accuracy is a big deal in ME1).

Patchy

Banned
Hey guys,

I recently installed this mod and I am having issue with the squad screen.

Specifically, only the squad faces show up and I cannot select any of their abilities? Doesn't look like the below at all.

iq8odeycmvme5emqai6p.jpg

I can't proceed in the game until Jacob can warp the hacked mechs on the Cerberus ship at the start....

Any ideas?

Top Bottom