• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

Update 4th of May
Mass Effect 3 controller support is released. A little bit buggy but it's out at least.
Here

UPDATE 26th of April (See bottom of post)

Since originally posting the thread the creator "Moonshine" has reopened his IndieGoGo Campaign to get the mods for Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect Controller Support IndieGoGo Note: Campaign does not currently support paypal. He is considering opening it up to Paypal support but has been burned in the past.

Why should I care
If you don't play mass effect or have an aversion to controller support then you won't However if you do care about mass effect and like controller support then it's important to understand that this might be the only way to ever play Mass Effect Trilogy on PC with a controller*

What about pinnacle game profiler/xpadder
Those utilities work fine but this mods outclasses them in every possible way. First it's free (unlike pinnacle) secondly it ports the Powers/Combat Wheel from console version to PC which is perfect for for controllers and no amount of button mapping is going to fix they janky PC interface.

Why should I be donating
It's a tough one, I feel the guy deserves it to be honest. Many have tried to do something similar but no one has cracked it yet until Moonshine, Additionally you are not funding controller support specifically you are funding a new laptop for this guy. Which is beneficial regardless. Finally this isn't hacked together support. Its complete. Controller vibration, Button Prompts etc. The real deal.

Let me see
iq8odeycmvme5emqai6p.jpg

20150213040917-ScreenShot00021.jpg

20150213040554-ScreenShot00041.jpg

Releases

Mass Effect 2
The file and instructions can be found Here

Huge credit to moonshine @ me3explorer.freeforums.org for this hard work which is literally years in the waiting/making.

Resident Gaffer: Gojeran recorded some gameplay Here

UPDATE
Moonshine has a new laptop and is working away on ME1 and ME3 support, ME3 support is expected soon.

Update from Moonshine

The funds reached my bank account today. I'll be ordering the laptop this afternoon, and hopefully should have it tomorrow (friday at the latest). So yay, finally, we're sort of here now. We've gotten to the finish line, kinda. By this time next week, if all goes to plan, there will have been an ME3 release. I look forward to finally being able to share it with you all.

Wow, right down to the UI and everything. You could tell me that's native support and I wouldn't skip a beat.

Will bust out the ol' physical ME1 to try this stuff later. Thanks, OP.

Wow, right down to the UI and everything. You could tell me that's native support and I wouldn't skip a beat.

Will bust out the ol' physical ME1 to try this stuff later. Thanks, OP.

Sadly not working on ME1 yet. Just ME2.

ME1 and ME3 are all but done but the creators laptop broke and he can't finish them.

Skunkers

I want to try this later since I've built a beast HTPC; but, there's no support yet for ME1 or 3? If I'm gonna play, I'd rather do a complete run through the Trilogy again, not just play 2.

I am gracious for his effort so far though. It was a cripplingly stupid decision by Bioware not to have native controller support, at least by the time ME3 came out. Here's hoping the community can fix the other games as well.

Just want to give a shout out for the dudes dedication. He went to a library and used their computers to fix rumble/vibration support in his ME2 release.

Serious dedication.

Ziffles

EA should buy this guy a new laptop.
iq8odeycmvme5emqai6p.jpg

(this image confused me at first until I realized it was all 3 games spliced into one)

Skunkers

Just want to give a shout out for the dudes dedication. He went to a library and used their computers to fix rumble/vibration support in his ME2 release.

Serious dedication.

I feel like GAF could have funded his laptop if more people had known about his indiegogo campaign.

Grief.exe

Nice, about time. I really want to replay, but I feel that remaster trilogy coming...I think.

Why pay $60 for the PC version tomorrow, when you can play the PC version right now? With the added benefit of significantly higher resolution, some impressive texture mods, and for a much lower price.

jediyoshi

I could be thinking about another one of the MEs where people tried to hack back in the controller support, but I believe a lot of the functionality's code/assets were already there, just locked away and somewhat broken.

Qassim

This is pretty cool - I personally prefer the keyboard and mouse controls for this game over the controllers, but this is great nonetheless, it did always seem like an odd omission - although I wouldn't expect it to be missed in future Bioware releases, they did a pretty good job in that regard (supporting both along with unique UIs for both) on DA:I.

I could be thinking about another one of the MEs where people tried to hack back in the controller support, but I believe a lot of the functionality's code/assets were already there, just locked away and somewhat broken.

Some are, Some are not. This is basically a hacking together of Xbox 360 game files, PC game files and some joining code as far as I can tell.

Natively the 360 files won't work. He rebuilt them and used part of the in game assets.

The biggest take away is Bioware removed them for seemingly no reason. KB/M is fine but I want to relax on a comfy couch when I play my mass effect.

jamsy

I remember going through hell trying to get my gamepad to work for ME3 for PC.

I still don't fucking understand why Bioware wouldn't give you the option to use the gamepad for its PC ports when it's already fucking there (for consoles).

I remember going through hell trying to get my gamepad to work for ME3 for PC.

I still don't fucking understand why Bioware wouldn't give you the option to use the gamepad for its PC ports when it's already fucking there (for consoles).

According to Bioware

Bioware Spindoctor said:
"There is a development cost in terms of time/effort to get all the graphical user interfaces so 360 buttons show up on PC," senior designer Manveer Heir explained to Eurogamer reader j0hn385 on Twitter.

"It may seem minor, but our GUI team was already stretched thin, and things were coming in at the last minute, so we couldn't add more work."

One-Shot

Banned
Why pay $60 for the PC version tomorrow, when you can play the PC version right now? With the added benefit of significantly higher resolution, some impressive texture mods, and for a much lower price.

Other issue is I originally played the game on 360 and I bought all the DLC there, so I don't have any on PC. Really don't feel like buying all the DLC again.

Tagyhag

Very cool, not a fan of using a controller for Mass Effect since I never liked pausing the action but it was crazy that they never added it in.

When I first read the title I assumed it was Bioware officially patching it in, which made me think that the ME trilogy really is coming.

Grief.exe

Other issue is I originally played the game on 360 and I bought all the DLC there, so I don't have any on PC. Really don't feel like buying all the DLC again.

That is actually a perfectly acceptable answer as acquiring the DLC on PC brings you to a whole other level of bullshit the lakes of which we haven't seen before or since.

LAA

Oh wow awesome! I did want to play the trilogy on PC, but the no controller option broke it for me, and the controller mods out at the time just werent good enough, this looks awesome though! May finally be able to beat ME2! (And ME3 if that has controller support which looks like this)

That is actually a perfectly acceptable answer as acquiring the DLC on PC brings you to a whole other level of bullshit the lakes of which we haven't seen before or since.

Are they still using Bioware points for ME2 and 3? I would have figured, hoped, that EA/Bioware would have had the sense to switch the DLC over to Origin. What a mess.

Really amazing work getting controller support in the games though, that's some dedication!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

One of the reasons I've not replayed ME2 or 3 yet on PC. The thought of that DLC minefield and the Bioware points bullshit just puts me right off. Just convert that shit to Origin already and hell I'd probably even buy it, but having to do all that nonsense separately ? No thanks.

If he can get 1-3 working as well I will rebuy them on PC in a heartbeat.

It's not that he can't, they're very nearly done, but he needs a new laptop to finish it as his clapped out on him.

Naminator

Banned

There are ancient and sacred ways of getting those things on PC easy and relatively free ;)

Ziffles

any impressions? Considering buying the game if it actually works well aka much, much better than xpadder, etc etc

Fuck it, if someone can confirm his ME2 hack works (video would be nice) and he restarts his campaign, I'll pledge $50 (£33).

Thread bookmarked.

Bizzquik

I would gladly donate to him if he can finish the Trilogy.

Once I got into Skyrim modding - and donating a few bucks to contributors on the Nexus - I got into small Patreon donations for my favorite YouTube content creators.

As long as I have some disposable income at the moment, I think its important to not just say 'thanks' but to also give financially (a little, in my case).

One-Shot

Banned
There are ancient and sacred ways of getting those things on PC easy and relatively free ;)
I'll admit I've tried (I have the pc games legit) but haven't been able to get them to work.

The BS with the bio ware points is the DLC NEVER goes on sale. I would probably buy it then.

mjp2417

Banned
Curious if this works at a playable level with the various hacking mini games. That's the point at which the current controller solutions (Pinnacle/Xpadder/etc.) break down and you need kbm.

Jawmuncher

I'll admit I've tried (I have the pc games legit) but haven't been able to get them to work.

The BS with the bio ware points is the DLC NEVER goes on sale. I would probably buy it then.

Really hoping for a remaster on consoles just for the off chance we see a GOTY edition finally on PC.

Gyossaits

Banned
Mass Effect Controller support for PC might be the biggest and most stupid omission for a PC port In ... forever.

Well, I mean, if you want to play with a control scheme that makes it harder to aim, then sure.

Top Bottom