• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
UnluckyKate said:
Comression is due to DVD9 limitation. Let's hope that this late port will be properly done according to all the PS3 has to offer (I'm looking at you, bluray space disk)
They didn't bother for PC so why would they for PS3? I have over a terabyte sitting around on my game drive, why couldn't they give me cutscenes that didn't look like they recorded in 480p.

Comic retelling is probably for the best as lets be honest, ME1's gameplay is pretty shitty. It's the art/story/presentation that carry it's ass

...and I love Mass Effect 1

UnluckyKate said:
Comression is due to DVD9 limitation. Let's hope that this late port will be properly done according to all the PS3 has to offer (I'm looking at you, bluray space disk)

Unfortunately, the compression was horrible on the PC version as well.

gdt5016 said:
To be fair, I did ALOT of scanning :lol . I imagine 3-4 hours of that 56 is just scanning.
ew the planet scanning for resources was so fucking boring. they could have done a better job with that crap :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Acidote said:
If they redo the cinematics on a higher res they better update the PC version with them.

No way that will happen.

careful

Good for PS3 users. One of my GOTY contenders for sure. Pretty cool about the extra 6hr mission. I hope they can bring that out to other platforms also. I have a few PC game saves, so I wouldn't want to replay the whole thing again.

Hydrargyrus

EatChildren said:
BioWare's compression of video says you do not want a video introduction.

I think that those won't be worst than the PS2 videos included in Yakuza 3, that work perfectly...

This is a pretty shitty solution...

TommyT

JoeBoy101 said:
About 35-45 hours with all the DLC. But if you haven't played Mass Effect first, I'd recommend hitting Steam and getting it for the $20 or less it will cost. You can port your character over with starting bonuses in ME2 and it helps knowing whats going on in the story.

Also, the intro in ME2 is a lot more impacting if you've played the first.

So wait... you can play Mass Effect on Steam, then port that character over to Mass Effect 2 on the PS3?!

AgentOtaku said:
Comic retelling is probably for the best as lets be honest, ME1's gameplay is pretty shitty. It's the art/story/presentation that carry it's ass

...and I love Mass Effect 1

I can't agree with that. It had plenty of flaws but the original Mass Effect is still easily one of my favorite games of this generation, actually one of my favorite games of any generation.

Patryn

You can listen to all the dialogue, and do every mission in under 30 hours if you know what you're doing.

Also, let me say, I could have accepted a 1-2 hour exclusive PS3 mission, but if it's really 6 hours, that's bullshit.

And, honestly, it's in PS3 owner's best interests to have it be multi-plat, because if it's just PS3 then that means it likely will have little to no significance for ME3. Maybe an e-mail.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TommyT said:
So wait... you can play Mass Effect on Steam, then port that character over to Mass Effect 2 on the PS3?!
No he is saying you should play Mass Effect 2 on PC.
In 1080p/8xAA/60 fps with dem hotkeys.

6 hour mission.

You lie Bioware.

Kasumi and the Overlord DLC were way shorter than what Bioware said they'd be and I did everything there was to do in those quests(on Insanity).

ME2 has had more DLC than ME1 but they've been disappointing.

LiK said:
Comic retelling? Meh

Lookin forward to the rest.

I doubt the DLC from 360 would be vouchers here.

With vouchers they can prevent people who buy the game used from getting the DLC for free. Make up the money they lose from used sales through DLC(like they do for the online pass)

Emitan

gdt5016 said:
To be fair, I did ALOT of scanning :lol . I imagine 3-4 hours of that 56 is just scanning.
I found a mod for the PC version that made scanning easier, I think it increased the scanner's movement speed. That could be part of it. But I still spent way too long doing it.

Patryn

ExtraKr1spy said:
6 hour mission.

You lie Bioware.

Kasumi and the Overlord DLC were way shorter than what Bioware said they'd be and I did everything there was to do in those quests(on Insanity).

ME2 has had more DLC than ME1 but they've been disappointing.

I still say that Bring Down the Sky has the second hardest (best) choice in the entire series.

jcm

Does this game have an official release date yet? I'm trying to plan my Q1 purchasing. It feels like xmas is late this year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jcm said:
Does this game have an official release date yet? I'm trying to plan my Q1 purchasing. It feels like xmas is late this year.

No. All we know is January.

Cornbread78

Sounds liek a good deal to me. I'm interested in how they integrate the cartoon summary of ME1, should be interesting...

Emitan

Patryn said:
I still say that Bring Down the Sky has the second hardest (best) choice in the entire series.
I haven't played any of the DLC in ME2 besides that mercenary guy's loyalty mission, but it was the best choice in the games for me. Because unlike a majority of the choices, it was not black and white. It really made me pause and think which was more important. I had to question my beliefs and it wasn't a choice I made lightly. It was a fantastic example of why choice driven games can be amazing interactive experiences.

EatChildren

Billychu said:
I haven't played any of the DLC in ME2 besides that mercenary guy's loyalty mission, but it was the best choice in the games for me. Because unlike a majority of the choices, it was not black and white. It really made me pause and think which was more important. I had to question my beliefs and it wasn't a choice I made lightly. It was a fantastic example of why choice driven games can be amazing interactive experiences.

Yeah, I liked it too, but it was ruined by having all potential consiquences removed if you happened to have a high enough Paragon check.

LiK

Billychu said:
Omg, the DLC is excellent. All of it, imo

Patryn

Billychu said:

It's not bad, but I still think the hardest and best decision you have to make is
Mordin's loyalty quest. I really can't see a right or wrong in that situation.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GraveRobberX said:
Most important thing for me:

OK, is all this good stuff on the disc, or do you get vouchers?
DLC for DA:Ultimate is on the disc, this will probably be the same.

Paracelsus

I had saved the DLC in the CE (and all future DLC purchases) for a period without many releases (now). Too bad I have no console right now, so I might just double dip, hoping the porting isn't too bad.

Emitan

Patryn said:
It's not bad, but I still think the hardest and best decision you have to make is
I actually forgot what that choice was. I guess it's high time I replay through the games. I lost my save files, so I need to anyway. Plus I can experience the DLC now. But I've never gotten Bring Down the Sky to work on the Steam version. I hope that choice doesn't affect anything major.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LiK said:
Omg, the DLC is excellent. All of it, imo
I concur. There wasn't a single piece I didn't enjoy, I even liked Firewalker as the controls felt so damn good and it looked so pretty (snow mission ftw) and it didn't cost me a penny.

Pai Pai Master said:
This is certainly true of SCEJ. Not sure what SCEA's policy on it is, but games like Bioshock did have exclusive PS3 content so it's likely they mandate some sort of compensation in the form of exclusive DLC.

yeah I think all late PS3 ports require it. BioShock is a bad example though, besides the teaser for the sequel there was no new content on the disc. They created some PS3 exclusive DLC, but you have to buy it, yay Oo
Actually, I think this is the only PS3 exclusive DLC/addon that is NOT free/included.

So chances are high that this this new mission will be PS3 exclusive (and if, then it's not timed-exclusive)

The DLC of Mass Effect 2 is probably the best I've ever seen, outside of the GTA4 episodes, so if the next is PS3 exclusive I'll cry bitter, bitter tears. :(

Epiphyte

Patryn said:
That was certainly a good one, but I agonized far more over
Legion's loyalty quest.

He spent so much time talking about the importance of self determination vs submitting to Sovereign that it seemed like a real dick move to just reprogram the heretics

coopolon

The scanning is a prime example of why you play games on PC. You get to mod out Bioware's stupidity.

But I thought they also said when they announced this port they realized how incredibly dumb the scanning was and they were going to change it for the PS3? Or am I making it up?

EatChildren

Epiphyte said:
Legion's loyalty quest.

He spent so much time talking about the importance of self determination vs submitting to Sovereign that it seemed like a real dick move to just reprogram the heretics

Plus he makes you feel like a piece of shit if you try and be all "THEY DESERVE TO LIVE", with his "You cant judge an entirely difference species under the same merits as your own. That is, in its own right, racism."

SolidusDave said:
yeah I think all late PS3 ports require it. BioShock is a bad example though, besides the teaser for the sequel there was no new content on the disc. They created some PS3 exclusive content, but you have to buy it, yay Oo
Actually, I think this is the only PS3 exclusive DLC/addon that is NOT free/included.

So chances are high that this this new mission will be PS3 exclusive.

Wouldn't the interactive comic be considered exclusive content? I'd really hate to see a significant chunk of this game be permanently platform exclusive.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SolidusDave said:
yeah I think all late PS3 ports require it. BioShock is a bad example though, besides the teaser for the sequel there was no new content on the disc. They created some PS3 exclusive content, but you have to buy it, yay Oo

Please don't say things like that.

Killthee

coopolon said:
The scanning is a prime example of why you play games on PC. You get to mod out Bioware's stupidity.

But I thought they also said when they announced this port they realized how incredibly dumb the scanning was and they were going to change it for the PS3? Or am I making it up?
They patched the scanning speed for the Xbox version. It's much more tolerable now.

Emitan

Epiphyte said:
Legion's loyalty quest.

It's for the cause.
The cause being crazy, bitch, lesbian Shepard's Krogan, Rachni, Robot super army of badassness.

Killthee

Billychu said:
It's for the cause.
The cause being crazy, bitch, lesbian Shepard's Krogan, Rachni, Robot super army of badassness.
ME3 is gonna be so awesome!

SolidusDave said:

Oblivion and SO4 didn't have any exclusive content IIRC.

Felix Lighter said:
Wouldn't the interactive comic be considered exclusive content? I'd really hate to see a significant chunk of this game be permanently platform exclusive.

I wanted to edit this in but yeah, I guess the interactive comic could count as exclusive gameplay content, too.

Stallion Free said:
Please don't say things like that.

and don't forget that if it's exclusive, chances are even higher that this is permanent. :p Sony usually don't do timed-exclusive content or the "PC-doesn't-count" exception

thcsquad

mckmas8808 said:
Actually that's good for me, because I don't like the slower turn styled RPGs. This one seems like it has more action in it.

Well, it's a shooter with mild RPG elements. Great game, but if you're the guy who said he wants to play his first RPG in 7 years, this wouldn't really fit the bill. You should play it regardless, though. Hell, I don't have a 360 and I borrowed my cousin's to play this game.

Paracelsus

AranhaHunter said:

Oblivion was released when PS3 wasn't still in the business, SO4 had Japanese-style menus, original dub and was multi-5 (7?) across the globe, that somehow counts as extra content.

Hydrargyrus

SolidusDave said:
I wanted to edit this in but yeah, I guess the interactive comic could count as exclusive gameplay content, too.

and don't forget that if it's exclusive, chances are even higher that this is permanent. :p Sony usually don't do timed-exclusive content or the "PC-doesn't-count" exception

Seriously, who wants this comic??

Even the Blu Ray box is more attractive and more exclusive :lol :lol

AranhaHunter said:

maybe the rule was implemented after Oblivion (it's basically a countermeasure for MS's money-hatting and lazy devs) and SO4 has exclusive PS3 content according to wikipedia.

JoeBoy101

TommyT said:

Actually, I'm not sure if you can flash drive the save files over from one to the other. Not having a PS3, its possible. I'm just suggesting PC for both routes.

gcubed said:
whats the big benefit from porting over from the first game? i've played it a few times through on the 360 but havent gotten ME2 yet. If all this is true its the only way i'd pay full price for it, otherwise i'd just get the 360 version for half the price (well, how much is all of the DLC)

Depending on how you finished the first one (i.e., if level 60), you can start at Level 5 and get a good starting bonus for all your minerals and to your credits. That excludes the some of the choices you make in the first one carrying over. Some are minor, like
whether Wrex was killed.
Some are more major, like
whether you sexed up Liara.
Some are minor in ME2, but sound like they will be major in ME3, like
whether you let the Rachni Queen live or not.

coopolon

I'm pretty surprised that Sony could get away with a policy requiring exclusive DLC. Isn't it much more in their interest to just get ME2 onto their console period, so they can make money both off it's sales and its inevitable and guaranteed blockbuster sequel?

Patryn

coopolon said:
I'm pretty surprised that Sony could get away with a policy requiring exclusive DLC. Isn't it much more in their interest to just get ME2 onto their console period, so they can make money both off it's sales and its inevitable and guaranteed blockbuster sequel?

They don't want to be seen as sloppy seconds, begging for table scraps where they can get them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Foliorum Viridum said:
The DLC of Mass Effect 2 is probably the best I've ever seen, outside of the GTA4 episodes, so if the next is PS3 exclusive I'll cry bitter, bitter tears. :(
I doubt that's going to be the case. It would be in the best interest for Bioware to make it a timed exclusive. That way there is more attraction to the PS3 version. 360 folks have had the game and I'm sure as long as they know they're getting it won't be upset. BUT if this is some kind of locked exclusive (lol) then uh oh :p

I see no reason why Bioware wouldn't want to put this on LIVE and make some more money off of it.

Top Bottom