• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

coopolon said:
I'm pretty surprised that Sony could get away with a policy requiring exclusive DLC. Isn't it much more in their interest to just get ME2 onto their console period, so they can make money both off it's sales and its inevitable and guaranteed blockbuster sequel?

Not really, they need to have some enticing content to persuade people to buy a year old+ port, I never buy year old+ ports until they are bargain priced, regardless whether or not they have extra content.

dralla

worth the $60 for shadow broker alone. I'd play it last though as it is the high point of the game, don't wanna spoil yourself

iratA

These are the things people (including myself) are looking for in the PS3 port of ME2:

A quality way of introducing the ME universe and backstory.
A quality port thats at least on par with the 360 version.
Uncompressed cutscenes.... as Kevin Buttler would say; come on... what is this? DVD?!
All DLC on the disc. No codes, tokens, massive downloads or other loop holes for consumers. I think people are far more fond of this set-up for various reasons.

If these things are nailed the product should sell itself. After all the game is of the highest standard anyway.

I hope this DLC isn't exclusive.
Exclusives are stupid, exclusive DLCs are beyond that.
And I'm certainly not buying the game a second time to prove their point.
Well, I will probably buy it a second time... to get the PC version

LiK

iratA said:
These are the things people (including myself) are looking for in the PS3 port of ME2:

Uncompressed cutscenes.... as Kevin Buttler would say; come on... what is this? DVD?!
All DLC on the disc. No codes, tokens, massive downloads or other loop holes for consumers. I think people are far more fond of this set-up for various reasons.

If these things are nailed the product should sell itself. After all the game is of the highest standard anyway.

and there better be a nice LE.

No45

JoeBoy101 said:
About 35-45 hours with all the DLC. But if you haven't played Mass Effect first, I'd recommend hitting Steam and getting it for the $20 or less it will cost. You can port your character over with starting bonuses in ME2 and it helps knowing whats going on in the story.
If I were to play the original ME on the PC, could I then use that character in the PS3 version of ME2 via some kind of online shenanigans?

Kyoufu

No45 said:
If I were to play the original ME on the PC, could I then use that character in the PS3 version of ME2 via some kind of online shenanigans?

The transferable save malarkey means jack diddly squat from ME1 -> ME2.

You don't keep items, armours, weapons etc. Just the choices you made are reflected upon for 5 minutes in ME2 which to be honest is a huge disappointment. Just play the first on PC then start fresh on ME2 if you must.

--

Does anyone know if the heavy weapon pre-order guns will be in the PS3 version?

scarybore

iratA said:

Well, you won't be getting that. :lol The best you should hope for is that they are redone with better resolution and bitrate, if Bioware don't deliver that then I would call that a sign of sheer laziness.

Everything else on the list is certainly doable.

gcubed

JoeBoy101 said:
Actually, I'm not sure if you can flash drive the save files over from one to the other. Not having a PS3, its possible. I'm just suggesting PC for both routes.

Depending on how you finished the first one (i.e., if level 60), you can start at Level 5 and get a good starting bonus for all your minerals and to your credits. That excludes the some of the choices you make in the first one carrying over. Some are minor, like
whether Wrex was killed.
Some are more major, like
whether you sexed up Liara.
Some are minor in ME2, but sound like they will be major in ME3, like
whether you let the Rachni Queen live or not.

its been so long since i played 1, i kinda have a desire to play it again. I almost forgot about the last spoiler

seady

Wouldn't it be easier to just port the first game then to make a brand new interactive comic?
Just make something like a Mass Effect collection or something that include both games. That way, the game + extra content will justify the $60 price tag (when Mass Effect 1 and 2 are already $20 each on 360).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm interested in playing this game, although I might get it when it goes on sale.

SolidusDave said:
maybe the rule was implemented after Oblivion (it's basically a countermeasure for MS's money-hatting and lazy devs) and SO4 has exclusive PS3 content according to wikipedia.

They didn't do much in SO4 international; they made it "international" (J/E dubs, multilingual subs), they rearranged some chest items, and balanced out Reimi (she was a very strong in the 360 version due to her crits).

RedSwirl

JoeBoy101 said:
About 35-45 hours with all the DLC. But if you haven't played Mass Effect first, I'd recommend hitting Steam and getting it for the $20 or less it will cost. You can port your character over with starting bonuses in ME2 and it helps knowing whats going on in the story.

Also, the intro in ME2 is a lot more impacting if you've played the first.

My only ME2 playthrough is 53 hours. With no DLC.

I did pretty much 100% of all missions and
depleted the entire galaxy of minerals

seady said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just port the first game then to make a brand new interactive comic?
Just make something like a Mass Effect collection or something that include both games. That way, the game + extra content will justify the $60 price tag (when Mass Effect 1 and 2 are already $20 each on 360).

The original Mass Effect was published by Microsoft. It may be out of EA's hands.

dralla

seady said:
ME is a microsoft game

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
recklessmind said:
I'm holding out for word on the framerate...

Same. Shitty frame rate is what has kept me away from this franchise. I have the feeling the PS3 version will just run worse.

duckroll

Well, Bioware (and by extension EA) owns the IP for Mass Effect, not MS. There is nothing stopping Bioware from remaking ME on PS3, but they probably just don't want to put in that much effort just to release the first game on PS3. See: Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

LiK said:
Its not that bad...

The original Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 was pretty bad but Mass Effect 2 ran at a pretty solid 30 fps on the console. On a modestly powered gaming PC, both games could be maxed out and hit 60fps easily.

Emitan

duckroll said:
Well, Bioware (and by extension EA) owns the IP for Mass Effect, not MS. There is nothing stopping Bioware from remaking ME on PS3, but they probably just don't want to put in that much effort just to release the first game on PS3. See: Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
When this release was announced I remember reading that they can't release ME1 because of their contract with Microsoft. Apparently Microsoft is in charge of all distribution of the original game.

Billychu said:
When this release was announced I remember reading that they can't release ME1 because of their contract with Microsoft. Apparently Microsoft is in charge of all distribution of the original game.

Hence why ducky used NGS as an example. It's the same deal with Gears, but MS is holding onto Gears with ironclad claws whereas they weren't willing to hold other 3rd party franchises exclusive like ME and Bioshock.

duckroll

Beer Monkey said:
Wouldn't that depend on the details of the original contract with Microsoft? Not all exclusivity contracts are the same.

Sure, that's possible. But realistically, if Bioware had a really good reason to want to release the original game on the PS3, they can definitely find a way. The logical answer is that it would be more effort than they find worthwhile, especially since the original was already released on both 360 and PC, and more importantly because the sequel is generally so much better than the original. They would basically have to completely redesign ME1 to be up to par with ME2 for it to be worthwhile.

MrMephistoX

-An interactive comic retelling ME 1, that you will make the key decisions in.

It still kinda sucks for those who haven't played ME 1 for the full experience but for someone like me who has played through it twice this is a pretty cool workaround.

Eliciel

finally it finds it's way to my home console. :D

rrod destroyed everything for me :(. Finally I can play Mass Effect 2!

TTP said:
Same. Shitty frame rate is what has kept me away from this franchise. I have the feeling the PS3 version will just run worse.
Wow, that's a great game to miss out on. seriously. And there isn't that much fast paced action in the game.

But if framerate problems really make you go nuts, you probablt shouldn't :p. especially ME1 was horrific in that departement.

lol at PS3 fans making lists of demands. BioWare don't owe you anything - porting the game to PS3 is a favour. (yes I am butthurt if this is true, even if I do own a PS3)

jett

D-Member
TTP said:

How the hell is it that you don't have a gaming PC with those framerate-whore ways of yours?

JoeBoy101

RedSwirl said:
My only ME2 playthrough is 53 hours. With no DLC.

I did pretty much 100% of all missions and
depleted the entire galaxy of minerals

Well that last point is probably an extra 6-7 hours.

No45 said:

Probably not. There is one file used on the PC version that allows the import, but I'm betting its all behind the scenes on the PS3. It might be possible, but I doubt it because you probably wouldn't be able to tell the PS3 version to look for it.

dralla said:
worth the $60 for shadow broker alone. I'd play it last though as it is the high point of the game, don't wanna spoil yourself

Finished this last night and loved it! The combat banter happening (between you and Liara in this case) needs to be brought over into ME3. Not sure though, but I did this before suicide mission and I think the dialogue is different.
She was worried I wouldn't make it back.

Hydrargyrus said:
A comic???
Not even the videos????

Oh, came on...

Im pretty sure Microsoft owns the videocontent too. Making an all new comic is the fastest and cheapest way to show the previous events.

szaromir

Banned
ME1's ending is the only classic thing about the games, an interactive comic is most likely a rather por substitute

bryehn

Damnit I'm going to have to buy this. I want that extra mission. Even if it'll get released on 360 6-12 months later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
charlequin said:
It's possible they could release more Cerberus Network content post-PS3 launch.

Possible, but I doubt it. Christina Norman seemed pretty sure the Cerberus Networks stuff was done and dusted.

As someone else mentioned, its likely just a way to entice sales of new copies over used.

Ponn

Banned
Persona7 said:
Why would they include the cerberus network? Why not just put all the DLC on the actual disk?

Because they may be doing more DLC later. They said before they were going to do some things leading right into ME3. That would be cool if they did a freebie like Dead Rising 2 Case Zero type thing for ME3 through cerberus network.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wonder if its a digital comic recap of ME1 or the 6 hr mission recap of 1. You could blast through ME1 in 10 hours, if you streamlined it down to to just the essential 3 missions and finale, you could do that in 6 hours.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hnnnng. I hope the 6 hour missions comes to Xbox so I don't have to buy this. If it's a good port, I'll be tempted to give them my monies again, but I'll feel silly for buying the same game twice.

Top Bottom