• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Delayed To Q1 2012 [Update 2: BioWare Details RPG Mechanics Philosophy]

Update 2:

BioWare has detailed what they're changing in regards to RPG mechanics.

CVG said:
CVG: What feedback really has changed Mass Effect 3?

Casey Hudson: People really want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience. We interpret that as being about the kind of intelligent decision making around how you progress. To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression.

We had progression in Mass Effect 2 in armour and weapon choices but that activity chain was too simple. That whole activity chain I think was a button we weren't really pushing in ME2 and specifically were trying to hit for ME3.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...on-surprises-inspiration-and-tough-decisions/

Update:

Nirolak said:
BioWare put up a lot more footage of the Atlas mech: http://masseffect.bioware.com/me3/game/biowaretv/

It's Episode 7 in the list.

Original:

I just noticed on facebook that casey hudson said ME3 will be out within the first 3 months of 2012. I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be out this year before but I'm fairly sure I saw November a few times.

Here's what it said:

Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” - Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series

Source: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150170133576645.300911.85811091644

Speculator said:
screenshot-001-kaidan_shepard_liara-p.jpg

concept-001-may4-p.jpg

New screens from their facebook page
Moderator note: EA will release its fiscal results in a bit under 3 hours, which should have their full release schedule for the fiscal year. Not that the Mass Effect 2 Facebook page isn't an official channel, but this release list should confirm the delay.

mollipen

Seeing Liara (?) in that one shot makes me realize I hope there's a way I can never, ever even add her to my team. I totally cheated on her with Garrus, and I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the scene where I have to deal with her about that. *laughs*

Ickman3400 said:
I just noticed on facebook that casey hudson said ME3 will be out within the first 3 months of 2012. I don't know if it was ever confirmed to be out this year before but I'm fairly sure I saw November a few times.

Here's what it said:

Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” - Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series

Yeah, that's a delay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ickman3400 said:

Here's what it said:

Definitely a delay.

EA announces their fiscal results in a bit under 3 hours, and it will include their release calendar for the full year.

I'm guessing March, since Mass Effect is big enough to really benefit from the month now.

bjaelke

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/7294706

Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series.

We'll have more details about specific dates as we get closer to release.

V_Ben

Banned
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/7294706

Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series.

We'll have more details about specific dates as we get closer to release.

I can't remember if it had a specific release window yet, so I edited the title to reflect that.

Speculator said:
230326_101501701335966tygz.jpg

New screens from their facebook page

I'm getting a Zanarkand vibe from this one for some reason.

Also I guess I'm glad for the delay. More time for more content and tweaking. November was packed anyway and Skyrim alone will steal my soul for a good month straight.

Chinner

Banned
This is only a good thing. It was too soon to be released after ME2 and it needs all the time it can take. I'm not complaining because this year is busy anyway.

best news. give me a chance to stretch out with Skyrim without another huge RPG breathing down my neck. I applaud any game moving out of the crowded fall window.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I also called it. No sense in cramming it in at the same time as Skyrim and everything else coming out in Q4.

I want the game but I'd rather have a clear schedule for it, so this is good.

Paznos

Knew it wouldn't come out this year especially since they released ME2 for the PS3 at the beginning of the year.

shidoshi said:
Seeing Liara (?) in that one shot makes me realize I hope there's a way I can never, ever even add her to my team. I totally cheated on her with Garrus, and I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the scene where I have to deal with her about that. *laughs*

Did you change sexuality between the 2 games?

Ickman3400 said:
I'm getting a Zanarkand vibe from this one for some reason.

Other than being night time and having that one building(which is much to sleek to fit into Zanarkand)? Not seeing it.

Jb

Not surprised at all. ME3 needs all the attention it can get and I'm not sure it would have fitted in Q4's madness.

Top Bottom