• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

ultron87

The more i read impressions, the more i think Bioware should have not released any demo, especially if its an old one from a beta build. What were they thinking if that's the case?

It actually sold me (and a lot of other people judging from the other thread) on the multiplayer so that was at least a success.

Reading this thread has been very difficult. Only got broadband installed in new house yesterday evening and have been dying to play. ARGGHHHHH

Tess3ract

Banned
Or don't get the meaningless useless items you won't care about after an hour of playing the game!

Either that, or hope MS fucks up like they did on ME2, and just download all the preorder items from the marketplace for free.

I like buying one thing, and getting all the content. Not buying one thing, and getting 80% of the content.

It actually sold me (and a lot of other people judging from the other thread) on the multiplayer so that was at least a success.
Didn't sell me. ME1 fan and not a fan of multiplayer games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wait, so they really DID remove holstering? OK, that is pretty disappointing as I really don't like the way the game looks while running around with your gun drawn. I would always holster following a battle.

I did the same. I found it very annoying in the demo that I had to run around with my gun drawn the whole time. BioWares's legacy of jank continues. The lack of film grain was another annoying change.

Moaradin

The MP is fantastic and makes me think it's a newer build than the SP portion. I don't think you can properly show off the good stuff in a ME game in any demo. The only thing they can properly show is the combat and the MP does that better than the SP.

muu

wasn't going to get this since ME1 didnt exactly grab me, but w/ insistance from friends I tried out the MP portion. Never thought coop bar-filling could be so much fun! With a little more variety in the random missions (and the MP skill progression) this could really go places. Day 1 purchase now and can't wait till I get back to chucking napalm grenades at random enemies again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wasn't there supposed to be more CDN 2 weeks before ME3 launched? Haven't seen anything yet.
I suspect they scrapped it in favour of the Alliance News thingo they blog about every friday.

I suspect they scrapped it in favour of the Alliance News thingo they blog about every friday.

This is probably the case, but I cannot help but think how easy it would be just to make 14 little entries that not only could go onto ME2 but ME3's demo thing as well.

And since it's Cerberus News Network, I would think that it would be interesting and fun for the two weeks of daily news to be increasingly and subtlety pro-Reaper as a result of creeping indoctrination.

rozay

Banned
Is this true? I have a theory - games that let you holster your weapon are automatically better.

Its just a lot harder to take a look at your surroundings without being able to holster, especially because the FoV is so claustrophobic.

I like buying one thing, and getting all the content. Not buying one thing, and getting 80% of the content.
2 guns and a set of armor that will be useless after a few houra are considered 20% of a game now?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Its just a lot harder to take a look at your surroundings without being able to holster, especially because the FoV is so claustrophobic.

Don't worry, i'm sure some great noble soul will mod the PC version and allow us to holster weapons outside of hubs.

Console versions? Suck to be you. :(

Didn't sell me. ME1 fan and not a fan of multiplayer games.
Neither am I (the only MP i ever played before was Team Fortress 2 before Valve went overboard with all the stupid hats and weapon drops), but this is pretty awesome. It helps that its coop only, not versus.

bj00rn_

Banned
Why are the huge buildings in the far, far distance visibly shifting so rapidly when your character is NOT walking at the speed of sound..?

And why is Anderson so constipated..?

Weird..

Lime

Don't worry, i'm sure some great noble soul will mod the PC version and allow us to holster weapons outside of hubs.

Console versions? Suck to be you. :(

Inputting animations into ME3 will prove to be a challenge. I imagine Bioware moved the Kismet trigger, since the usual command "Shared_holster" does not respond in the ME3 demo.

Furthermore, the animation from ME1 and ME2 are hard to transfer over and implement in ME3 - you would need to have the animation rig be implemented into the character model. I am not saying it's impossible, but I have no idea how anyone would be able to insert the holster animation into a finished cooked UE game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Inputting animations into ME3 will prove to be a challenge. I imagine Bioware moved the Kismet trigger, since the usual command "Shared_holster" does not respond in the ME3 demo.

Furthermore, the animation from ME1 and ME2 are hard to transfer over and implement in ME3 - you would need to have the animation rig be implemented into the character model. I am not saying it's impossible, but I have no idea how anyone would be able to insert the holster animation into a finished cooked UE game.

Who said anything about adding holster animations? :p Even if there is no animation at all, i could deal with that for a better camera view when out of combat in mission zones. I bet the beta animations(if there ever was any) don't even exist anymore unless its hidden somewhere in some dark corner of the engine.

The great part about the demo, even if you're not a fan of the multiplayer, is that you get to play around and experiment with different classes and powers before taking your Shepard into the main game.

Shockwave is a much more potent beast than before, for example, especially with its range upgraded. I know I'm maxing it out as a priority on my single player and multi player adept.

Rokam

The great part about the demo, even if you're not a fan of the multiplayer, is that you get to play around and experiment with different classes and powers before taking your Shepard into the main game.

Shockwave is a much more potent beast than before, for example, especially with its range upgraded. I know I'm maxing it out as a priority on my single player and multi player adept.

Shockwave was really useful towards the end of ME2 when packs of Husk became more common as it only took 1 wave to kill them all. And during the last leg of the suicide mission you could just knock the Collectors off the moving platforms before they even reached you :). Ended up using it way more than I thought I would.

Lime

Who said anything about adding holster animations? :p Even if there is no animation at all, i could deal with that for a better camera view when out of combat in mission zones. I bet the beta animations(if there ever was any) don't even exist anymore unless its hidden somewhere in some dark corner of the engine.

Oh, I completely agree. I don't have as big a problem with the no holstering as the fact that we cannot rotate the camera and switch FOV. The ability to do the latter is extremely significant to me. The entire game experience is completely different now and the experience of "alien worlds" have taken a backseat (or rather thrown out of the car) to the Gears of War imitation Bioware is aiming at.

Finally tried the demo on my PC. My God this game rocks when played at a solid framerate.

Reading a few pages tells me to skip PS3 and go with PC, right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally tried the demo on my PC. My God this game rocks when played at a solid framerate.

Reading a few pages tells me to skip PS3 and go with PC, right?

There is no reason to go with PS3 over PC unless you absolutely hate playing with KB/M and/or refuse to use Origin. It's not a very good PC port, but it's still better than the console versions.

jediyoshi

Mass Effect 3 will be available for PSN Pre-order

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...r-psn-pre-order-today-with-exclusive-bonuses/

Today, I want to let you know about an exclusive offer for anyone who pre-orders Mass Effect 3 via the PlayStation Network. When the PlayStation Store updates later this afternoon, you’ll be able to pre-order to download a digital copy of the game (available 3/6 in the US) and receive the M55 Argus rifle to complement your in-game experience.

Along with that in-game bonus weapon, Sony Computer Entertainment America and BioWare would like to offer you a special Mass Effect 3 PS3 theme—only available for digital pre-orders. Once the game has launched, these offers will no longer be available, so if you haven’t done so already, secure your copy of Mass Effect 3 later today when the PlayStation Store updates and prepare for the Reaper invasion!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tried to play multiplayer for the first time last night but people kept quitting out in the lobby because of my low level and bitching about shit on their mics. I mean, does it really matter that much? Some guy was like level 83 or something. I just want to try the damn multiplayer.

Are you joining Bronze games? They're probably bitching at you because you're joining games you're not leveled for.

Looks like the DLC(new squadmate) is already up. Its 800 MSP.

Michael Gamble said:
Hi all!

We're happy to confirm that Mass Effect 3: From Ashes DLC will be available at launch for all platforms. For those of you who have purchased the N7 Collector's Edition (including the PC Digital Deluxe Edition), you will get this content at no extra charge. We'll have a lot more details for you later this week! Stay Tuned!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Have they talked about DLC squadmates being in the box for first day purchasers?

thetrin

Nope, the squadmate is only free for those who purchased the CE, for the rest its 800MSP

Are you fucking serious? God dammit. There's no CE for PC (as far as Amazon is concerned)!

Are you fucking serious? God dammit. There's no CE for PC (as far as Amazon is concerned)!

You could always get the digital deluxe edition from Amazon. Then you could pre-load the game and start playing the moment it's released. But yeah, physical copies of the collector's edition are apparently in short supply. If you need to get a physical copy, it's still available at Gamestop, Sears (release date is scheduled for 2/28, wtf), and other online retailers.

rozay

Banned
Origin N7 Digital Deluxe Edition. You get every thing. Including all 7 DLC weapons and an armor set. Its kind of overkill.
Only in countries that don't have a distribution agreement for the N7 armor and gun already, here in the states they're only offering the shotgun and the M55 rifle.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Only in countries that don't have a distribution agreement for the N7 armor and gun already, here in the states they're only offering the shotgun and the M55 rifle.

Damn you Gamestop, ohh well I miss out on 1 extra gun and armor set. Ill live, neither looked all that great compared to the others.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

That's actually pretty cool that you will now be able to pre-order and download day and date along side the retail copy, I know they did it with ME2 but that was also a year after its original release.
Pity about having to have double the space for the download and install to exist at the same time, Sony should really sort that out.

Have they done that with any other games or is this the first time? I know they did with Warhawk, but that was more a PSN title also being available at Retail rather than the other way around.

And IGN immediately goes "hur durr massive scoop" and posts a pic of the new squadmate. I already knew who it was, but I can imagine people wanting to stay in the dark will be pissed.

The more i read impressions, the more i think Bioware should have not released any demo, especially if its an old one from a beta build. What were they thinking if that's the case?

I don't think the SP portion was taken very seriously. It does look like a beta.

In my view, the demo was just a reason to get the MP out the door and tested in the wild. From this perspective, it has probably been a big success.

rozay

Banned
And IGN immediately goes "hur durr massive scoop" and posts a pic of the new squadmate. I already knew who it was, but I can imagine people wanting to stay in the dark will be pissed.
The DLC was officially announced today (and is on xbl right now) and the description tells exactly which race it is and the item's banner also has a picture of his head.

The DLC was officially announced today (and is on xbl right now) and the description tells exactly which race it is and the item's banner also has a picture of his head.
Seriously? Wow, either he'll be really unimportant... Or BioWare really doesn't give a crap about spoilers at all. Sucks for the people going dark.

Top Bottom