• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 James Vega Featurette

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No Jacob does not fill Vega's role. Vega's role is to show the effect the past years and current events are having on society. His role as the PTSD soldier gives some sort of emotional depth to the game. Look at Halo, regular soldiers are seeing entire fucking planets razed and yet PTSD is rarely if ever brought up. He also can easily work as a foil for Shepard to voice his/her feelings on previous events. Now as to whether he had to be human? My guess is that this was done in order to more easily connect with the audience.

It is a nice idea, but knowing Bioware they are going to completely miss the mark if that is what they are aiming for.

At the end of the time I don't hate him, but I don't like him much at the moment from an outside view not having played it.
There had to have been better designs for the character to "connect" with Shepard, every other human we have seen, part of the alliance or not, including Shepard doesn't look like the typical generic space marine that Vega does.

I think some people are just disappointed with the scope of possibilities that the ME universe could have in the games to then be shown someone who looks like he could be from a good number of other games out in the last few games.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, the facial offness stand out way too much.

But damn, with the motion blur now in, and the way the armor and everything else looks right now, the visuals and style are getting me hyped once again - gotta finish the last DLCs for ME2 still before the game and even the demo for ME3 come out.

jackdoe

Maybe they should have mo-capped the boxing scene. And if they did, then maybe they should hire new animators. Actually, they should probably hire new animators regardless.

Dany

Banned
The trailer was werid, the 'fighting' was just stiff but ehh..

They are not showing anything that is interesting. They have done a decent job keeping stuff secret but how about some character trailers, some reveals on who is where?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Despite the bioware backlash on this forum I couldn't be more excited for basically any game except persona 4-2.

Mass Effect is my favorite fictional universe in anything except A song of Ice and Fire book series.

Equus Bellator Apex

This is Shepard with hair.

FB_Mark+Vanderloo.jpg

Yeah i think im gay now

highrider

Banned
it still has that stiff look to the characters. it is slowly improving though, and it looks pretty fun. a good shooter/action game if nothing else. i'm sure freddie jr. will lend his trademark depth to the voice work.

They're really rubbing those masks into my face....

Though so far we haven't seen anyone going on a spacewalk with them so there's hope.

These fucking masks broke my suspension of disbelief more than anything else in the game. I can swallow almost anything else- the ME verse is pretty damn wacky- but Miranda walking around in fucking hard vacuum in a catsuit and a half face mask just killed any belief I had in the world.

has anything been said about how ME2 DLC will carry into ME3?

I haven't played it yet on PC because of Bioware's stupid Bioware points thing and never putting them on sale. Don't know if I should even bother if there isn't some reason to for ME3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
has anything been said about how ME2 DLC will carry into ME3?

I haven't played it yet on PC because of Bioware's stupid Bioware points thing and never putting them on sale. Don't know if I should even bother if there isn't some reason to for ME3.

Well they're only there for learning some important story/lore stuff, i dont think anything will transfer from them.

Mindlog

manveerheir said:
In his interview, Freddie Prinze Jr says he hopes we gave James Vega good powers so people pick him. He has one of the best powers. Carnage

Blacklash93 @manveerheir Can Shepard get Carnage at some point?

manveerheir @Blacklash93 yup it's a bonus power
So carnage is confirmed. May have been confirmed before. I wasn't paying attention.

There's a bit in Batman Returns where Michael Keaton has to twist around and bend almost backwards in order to look up at a staircase where Catwoman's hiding because he can't move his neck or shoulders in that big rubber suit. Looks almost exactly like the way Shepard is moving in that fight.

Sober

What's this about overheating? Did they returned to unlimited ammo?
I wish they kept the infinite ammo but let us use heatsinks to cool it faster in emergencies ... nope, they just made them so commonplace that it pretty much is just ammo. That's what I was expecting from ME2 but I just got ammo-with-another-name instead.

Arjen

Jesus, the hate for ME on this forum is getting a bit insane, i think i need to stop reading these threads. I think the vega character looks pretty good, curious to see what his backstory is. FPJ seems like a cool dude in this video

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
These fucking masks broke my suspension of disbelief more than anything else in the game. I can swallow almost anything else- the ME verse is pretty damn wacky- but Miranda walking around in fucking hard vacuum in a catsuit and a half face mask just killed any belief I had in the world.

They've never been in a hard vacuum in ME2, it has always been on a planet or within the atmosphere created by a mass effect field, I also dislike the use of masks and such like but as far as I know they've always kept it at least a bit realistic in regards to what they need to wear at what occasion.

Kuran

Banned
I kept repeating the first two seconds of the video "holy cow, what is that thing", there is barely any lip-syncing and the animations are the same as the first season of Red & Blue. Hilarious.

Petrichor

I kept repeating the first two seconds of the video "holy cow, what is that thing", there is barely any lip-syncing and the animations are the same as the first season of Red & Blue. Hilarious.

Surely its placeholder? It wasn't this bad in ME2.

Always good to see actors that know video games talk about video games. It's also good to see them want to get involved in being part of them. This only helps the hobby and industry get more mainstream. Looking forward to seeing his character in the game.

Did someone ever make a mod for ME2 to return the ammo back to the heating system, or is ME on PC very un mod friendly?
Unfortunately it isn't very mod friendly. There are some mods that mess around with an ini file and there is a mod that gets it close to ME1 system.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/coalmods.php

And a few texture mods, decyx has a nice post about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34171763&postcount=690

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34152897&postcount=651
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34152958&postcount=652

Petrichor

So why show this footage? Damn, Bioware has such bad PR. I guess we knew that already. :p

Maybe its because the character models they use for dialogue are different for the character models they use for "action sequences", and because of the fight scene they use the latter, which have more limiting facial animations?

New Info from German magazine called GameStar:

- If you enter Reaper-controlled territory, there's a chance the Reapers will try to hunt you down and you must do something to avoid them. That's referred to as a minigame

- Reaper-controlled territory will change as the story progresses, but only main plot decisions trigger these changes. You'll have all the time you need for sidequests.

- All missions may influence your reputation with NPCs (unclear whether this only refers to team members). That in turn may influence your interaction with them in future. NPCs differ in what they prefer, some may be more impressed by Renegade decisions, some more by Paragon decisions, but all will be influenced by decisions affecting their species.

- If old team members are dead, different things may happen depending on the character. Sometimes a story arc will be completely lost, sometimes there will be a replacement character, sometimes the story will develop in a totally different way.

- How the war progresses will also affect the Normandy somehow.

- The Citadel will be bigger than ever before and you'll meet many characters you know from the first two games. Many loose ends from the first games will be tied up, including the mystery of the Keepers

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9034920
(Watch out for spoilers)

New Info from German magazine called GameStar:

- If you enter Reaper-controlled territory, there's a chance the Reapers will try to hunt you down and you must do something to avoid them. That's referred to as a minigame

- Reaper-controlled territory will change as the story progresses, but only main plot decisions trigger these changes. You'll have all the time you need for sidequests.

- All missions may influence your reputation with NPCs (unclear whether this only refers to team members). That in turn may influence your interaction with them in future. NPCs differ in what they prefer, some may be more impressed by Renegade decisions, some more by Paragon decisions, but all will be influenced by decisions affecting their species.

- If old team members are dead, different things may happen depending on the character. Sometimes a story arc will be completely lost, sometimes there will be a replacement character, sometimes the story will develop in a totally different way.

- How the war progresses will also affect the Normandy somehow.

- The Citadel will be bigger than ever before and you'll meet many characters you know from the first two games. Many loose ends from the first games will be tied up, including the mystery of the Keepers

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9034920
(Watch out for spoilers)

Well, that sounds amazing, and something like the bolded is what I wanted. If you hate a character so much, or get it killed becuase you did badlty in the old games, the story of that character goes out the window.

Any word on the psycho who escaped prison in ME2 and sent the email about killing that family. That really interested me and I hope it going to be resolved in ME3.

bengraven

Liked ME1 a lot, loved ME2, will not be buying or playing ME3. I think I've seen enough to be completely judgmental and dismissive.

Nah, I'm pre-ordering it.

i-Lo

I have to say:

1. Graphics are looking better than ever for the franchise

2. Enemy design and variety looks to have increased for better

3. Omg! Spriggan @ 2:10 mark!

4. I think I saw a dragon like creature as well!

5. Terrible expressionless faces. That fight sequence made me realise how important proper movement of Eyes and Eyebrows are.

Well, that sounds amazing, and something like the bolded is what I wanted. If you hate a character so much, or get it killed becuase you did badlty in the old games, the story of that character goes out the window.

It sounds amazing. I'm sure it will end up as "yo, I got an email from the dead character's sister saying something inane".

Guri

Any word on the psycho who escaped prison in ME2 and sent the email about killing that family. That really interested me and I hope it going to be resolved in ME3.

I'm replaying ME2 right now and yesterday I saw that and thought the exact same thing. Let's hope there is a quest there.

hmm, looks pretty good. I wasn't as hyped for ME3 as some fans were but this definitely looks amazing now. I was soo turned off by the horrid cover and shooting mechanics from ME2 after playing Gears 3/UC3 that I just lost interest in the ME series.

Top Bottom