• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

Lime

Also, the PCC files (ones containing characters and so forth) are also encrypted, meaning you cannot view them through the usual Unreal Model Viewer.

no one was ever able to mod it into ME2 fully

EDIT: wait ...they COMPLETELY REMOVED holster!?

Yes. You cannot holster you weapon and rotate the camera around your character anymore during missions.

I am sure someone will mod it for the PC players, though.

Problem is, the file which contains the input command lines is now encrypted. At least as far as I've gathered.

chico

Why play Mass Effect 3 on PC with a gamepad when there's the superior keyboard and mouse?

because my pc is connected to my 46" LED TV and i dont want to play sitting in my couch with a keyboard and mouse. the wireless 360 controller is the best solution.

patapuf

It is really inexcusable, jesus fuck it's 2012 and a top tier game is missing it's natural control scheme..

What kind of lazy ass developing is that?

eh, i'd argue the "natural controll scheme" of bioware games isn't a gamepad. at least when i compare dragon age controlls and mass effect controlls on kb/m and on controller they play very differently.

it can't be that difficult to implement both option though. its not like they dind't developp both

Big-E

From what I remember from Mass Effect 2 on PC, the UI outside of the numbered hotkeys on the top during combat, there was nothing that felt optimized for the pc. I remember clicking things and felt a lot of stuff was taking too long and didn't feel very streamlined for PC.

Sober

From what I remember from Mass Effect 2 on PC, the UI outside of the numbered hotkeys on the top during combat, there was nothing that felt optimized for the pc. I remember clicking things and felt a lot of stuff was taking too long and didn't feel very streamlined for PC.
I paused in combat a lot to combo powers. Is that what you mean? (Also I think you could hotkey powers from your squadmates, but they would be lost if they weren't there anyway, so you kinda had to pause and click their powers).

Yeah, that mirrors my experience exactly.

Lime

Wait...really? I thought it was just the demo "action mode" as to keep the tension up....

No, both the full game and the demo do not have holster animation and ability. It apparently takes up 4mb of RAM and Bioware figured they'd rather prioritize the Rolling or the Melee animations than including the Holster animation on the 360's limited memory budget.

Basically, plus there wasn't scroll support for whatever reason.

Big-E

For a specific example, before doing a mission you have to choose your team, level them up if needed and then choose their loadout. For their loadout, you get to see how many options for their weapon slot and are then taken to another screen to choose. Slow and annoying. Another is the god awful armor selection. Cycling through the different armor choices for the body part is bad. You just scroll to the right and some of the descriptions if I remember correctly are partially cut off.

Having to click a second button at the bottom of the screen just to select something you've already click was annoying as well, the most logical thing to do would have been double-click.

monome

I see it as a way to please MS and SONY, and give the finger to the kids who get it for free on PC.

Pretty sure there will be a non official patch in less than a week, and an official one if the bitching from the community is loud enough.

Sober

For a specific example, before doing a mission you have to choose your team, level them up if needed and then choose their loadout. For their loadout, you get to see how many options for their weapon slot and are then taken to another screen to choose. Slow and annoying. Another is the god awful armor selection. Cycling through the different armor choices for the body part is bad. You just scroll to the right and some of the descriptions if I remember correctly are partially cut off.
Other than ARTS/MOBA games, I don't really recall any RPG really needing/having hotkeys to do the regular level up/equip to paper doll routine other than hotkeys to open those respective windows.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
frankly speaking I don't give a damn about this one because they have an option of completely removing any mouse smoothing and acceleration in-game and I'm fine with it now. Playing with a gamepad on PC is really needed when mouse is so bad that playing with a gamepad is the only option.

edit: also I don't understand this "holster" issue and I haven't noticed anything about holstering yesterday, so I guess that is not important for me.

Kabouter

Having played the demo on 360, I can't say I care all that much about this. I really don't like how the game controls with a pad, feels awkward. And it's not like I'm someone who always prefers mouse/kb, I play most console ports on PC with a pad.

Big-E

Doesn't bother me at all.

It should since if ME2 is anything to go by, the game will not be optimized for KBM and will not control as well as it should. KBM is fine and I prefer it but not when the game is not designed to make use of it.

Regardless of what you prefer to use, the option should always be there. I mean... why the hell not? I don't understand why they don't just add it.

Schlomo

I just went through the pain of configuring gamepad controls for ME1 on PC a few weeks ago, so this makes me kind of angry.

Q8D3vil

no offense but bioware are doing it right with mass effect, they have different UI than the console version that really fit a pc game and everything work perfectly without any delay.

good job bioware for making a good pc port (just played the demo btw).

SlickVic

It should since if ME2 is anything to go by, the game will not be optimized for KBM and will not control as well as it should. KBM is fine and I prefer it but not when the game is not designed to make use of it.

I thought the gameplay itself in ME2 worked well with a M/K. The combat pause menu and the weapon/power hotkeys were pretty much what I wanted. I think where the controls ran into problems was out of combat. No scroll wheel and double click support made navigating any menu in game (Journal, Codex, Emails, etc) a hassle, and the lack of shortcut keys to the various submenus was annoying as well. From what I understand, ME3 still won't have shortcut keys (lame), but from what I played of the demo it seems to support scrollwheels this time.

As for the topic though, definitely agree the gamepad option should be there. No excuse really when you have a 360 interface already made.

SmokyDave

why would you want to play a pc game with an inferior interface

are people actually mad about this

Some people don't consider the interface to be inferior. This can be for a multitude of reasons, none of which need justifying to, or by, yourself.

I hope I've helped you out.

Suairyu

Banned

You see, man, there's this thing called personal preference and shit and it totes means people like options.

And... well, it's Mass Effect. It's not like we're talking about Starcraft. Who gives a shit how you control it?

Mafro

No, both the full game and the demo do not have holster animation and ability. It apparently takes up 4mb of RAM and Bioware figured they'd rather prioritize the Rolling or the Melee animations than including the Holster animation on the 360's limited memory budget.
I saw EatChildren mention this in the demo thread and genuinely thought he was joking about the RAM thing. Jesus Christ.

The lack of pad support bothered me at first since I've played the previous two on 360, but the KB & M set up is far better, especially for combat.

Alex

I love PC gaming as a primary but I'll take controller support any time I can get it, don't give a damn how much more accurate mouse and keyboard is in a single player game, it's just my preference.

So yeah, this sucks, maybe I'll just wait for a sale, by then someone will have rigged it up like they did with Mass Effect 2.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't mind KB/M, but what I find offensive is that I have a whole 108 keys to work with and Space does 10 different things.

Come on now, what else do you think us braindead pc gamers could do? Space is the biggest button! When playing games I slam my keyboard like a toddler/german shepherd, odds are the spacebar is the one I hit. They expect me to learn more than 2 buttons? I'm not Einstein.

And this ( nightmare of a port )is from the company that brought us Baldurs Gate? Fucking hell...

FuKuy

I'm more worried about low resolution textures, not including the holster animation and basically such console port (graphically and techincally speaking), than gamepad support.

Neither ME nor ME2 had gamepad support. In fact this game plays perfectly fine with keyboard and mouse.

I would prefer BioWare focus his resources on making the PC version look BETTER, rather than including gamepad support.

linko9

While this doesn't effect me (can't imagine how you'd prefer a pad over a mouse for a TPS), it is really annoying that the functionality's not included.

Ploid 3.0

Get Xpadder (free)
Or Pinnacle Games Profiler

I use pinnacle all the time for those old school games which don't support the 360 controller.

The lack of support though is baffling. It's a 15 minute implement at most.

I tried xpadder with ME2 and it is just wonky. Can't use inverted controls because you'd have inverted cursor in menus. There are a lot of other things, it just makes you wish there was a native controller option.

I was already barely interested in this game, no controller support after all that ME2 controller support begging shows they don't want money that bad. Screw it, there are other fish in the sea.

deim0s

For the PC-Master Race the keyboard and mouse is all you need.

(ok I'm including some flight sticks/steering wheels too)

:D

Ploid 3.0

I have a lot of PC games, the games that don't support controller rarely get played. As much as I like Shogun 2, or the Diablo 3 beta, I would boot up controller supported games before them on impulse. Diablo 3 has a better chance since it's new, Shogun doesn't have a chance.

For the PC-Master Race the keyboard and mouse is all you need.

(ok I'm including some flight sticks/steering wheels too)

:D

I don't know about that master race thing. Some of it's games don't support controller when it's a console port. Inferior in my eyes.

Xanonano

The worst thing is, in Mass Effect 2 you could get full proper Xbox 360 controller support (with the correct button prompts and everything) just by modifying .ini files, but the textures for the weapon/power wheel had been removed, making it basically useless. In other words, they deliberately broke it so that no-one could use it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here too.

Top Bottom