• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

I had always thought PC versions of 360 games like Arkham Asylum/City and Sonic Generations and Bioshock specifically had perfect 360 controller support because Xinput was so easy to take from the 360 version to the PC version (or rather, build both at the same time easily).

I wouldn't say it's laziness since I'm sure they've been very busy and stretched at crunch. I would call it more of a lack of foresight or prioritizing at the planning stages. It shouldn't be a big deal in terms of resource or tome management to bring in 360 pad support.

Eusis

It's starting to almost seem like it's more Bioware HATES bothering with controller support in their PC games. Jade Empire aside, each of their ports simply didn't bother whether it made sense (DA:O) or not (ME2 and presumably 3).

sp3000

I can't believe people are defending this.

Just think that Crysis had full support for the gamepad even though it was only on PC.

Minion101

Banned
bB7qq.png
It's amazing indie developers are able to put it in.

Ploid 3.0

It's amazing indie developers are able to put it in.

Bioware can too, they just want it out. They probably do like ME2 and not patch it in also. They will try to sell you DLC though, thats important above all. They can also use the excuse that there was only time to get the dlc out, and maybe they will add that they are now working on something else after that.

Resource management is honestly such a weird argument with something this small in a game this big, unless they left the port 'til really late.

first off, yeah it does come off as lazy to not include support but let's get a few things straight.

There has never been gamepad support for the game, so how can anyone be shocked.

Second, I love PC gaming because it is the platform with options and remains true even in this case. Multiple users have posted alternatives, which I have used myself.

It is clear the devs don't give a fuck, that is there choice. But that doesn't stop PC gamers from having choices. You can call them lazy, but so are you if you don't take advantage of what PC gaming has to offer.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Are they seriously trying to say they didn't have time/resources to copy/paste xinput from the 360 version to the PC?

Really?

Ploid 3.0

first off, yeah it does come off as lazy to not include support but let's get a few things straight.

There has never been gamepad support for the game, so how can anyone be shocked.

Second, I love PC gaming because it is the platform with options and remains true even in this case. Multiple users have posted alternatives, which I have used myself.

It is clear the devs don't give a fuck, that is there choice. But that doesn't stop PC gamers from having choices. You can call them lazy, but so are you if you don't take advantage of what PC gaming has to offer.

Again I tried this alternative that you have to buy. Each time I tried to configure it for ME2 it just felt weird and seemed all screwed up/unnatural, and I'd think it would be so much better if the game had native controller support. I waste buttons on menu only commands, and in the end I just move on to another game. I wish I had that other game profiler that was posted with better button commands (Holding, tapping button commands).

Bioware is too lazy to put controller support in, then I just won't deal with it. Also I'm shocked because after all of the complaints they still avoided putting it in this one. They know better, it's not like they shouldn't be trying to satisfy their potential customers, or maybe they are so awesome now that they don't need potential customers. It's as if we should be crawling to their well to beg for a sip of their water. There's other sources for gaming and a ton of it, I don't need ME3. They should be fighting to get me to buy their game. At this point I'm still fascinated by this thread just for entertainment. I doubt I even care what Bioware does anymore.

Lime

To add to the discussion. The bioengine.ini is set to load the following packages:

Code:
"GUI_SF_XBox_ControllerIcons",
        "BIOA_ControllerIcons_PC"

Meaning, besides already having the settings in bioinput.ini, the engine also loads the 360 UI in the PC version. It would probably take 20 minutes for an average programmer to link a command to let the game switch between 360/PC UI/input.

To add to the discussion. The bioengine.ini is set to load the following packages:

Code:
"GUI_SF_XBox_ControllerIcons",
        "BIOA_ControllerIcons_PC"

Meaning, besides already having the settings in bioinput.ini, the engine also loads the 360 UI in the PC version. It would probably take 20 minutes for an average programmer to link a command to let the game switch between 360/PC UI/input.

So close, then development realities kicked in. If only they had a few more bucks and a couple more man minutes.

Also, I'm playing the PC version of Alan Wake. The game switches the prompt icons based on the last input device you touched. Both keyboard and mouse and gamepad options are always available. If I click my keyboard, the keyboard prompts display. If I then touch a button on my 360 controller the button prompts switch to the gamepad buttons. No restarting the game or pausing and changing options, but I guess Remedy's massive UI team was given virtually infinite time and money to make the PC port.

Truant

Nah, man. You have no idea what development is like. It's not like other developers add pad support for their PC titles.

red_letter_media.jpg

Oh, wait

Minion101

Banned
If they didn't go out of their way to make the game un-mod-able. A modder could just spend an hour an add gamepad support themselves.

Ploid 3.0

I think one of the main reasons Bethesda games are so popular on PC is that they pretty much embrace modding. Let the fans fix the bugs, and so on. ME2 seemed like it was tough to make mods for, needing outside programs running. It's probably a EA thing though.

curttard

Banned
The Pinnacle profile just doesn't feel right for me, not sure I'm going to be able to play this one. Using 360 controller with pure mouse emulation just doesn't feel good and isn't accurate; the game needs SOME kind of controller awareness.

Plus my character would keep walking when I let go of the stick.

Double D

I think this really sucks, but I still chose to get this on PC instead of the 360. Is it crazy that I prefer playing Mass Effect with a KB/M?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think this really sucks, but I still chose to get this on PC instead of the 360. Is it crazy that I prefer playing Mass Effect with a KB/M?

Considering it controls very well with a keyboard & mouse. No, you're not crazy.

curttard

Banned
It's a funny situation.

Bioware just CAN'T get it done. This despite the facts that fans have been asking for it since the first game; that the game is a port of a console game made for controllers; that almost every other PC game has controller support, including every other EA game; that fans have been able to patch in support to the previous games.

It's really inexcusable; these guys have tens of millions of dollars at their disposal and can't be bothered to put a couple hours into adding something many fans have been asking for for YEARS.

Lime

It's a funny situation.

Bioware just CAN'T get it done. This despite the facts that fans have been asking for it since the first game; that the game is a port of a console game made for controllers; that almost every other PC game has controller support, including every other EA game; that fans have been able to patch in support to the previous games.

It's really inexcusable; these guys have tens of millions of dollars at their disposal and can't be bothered to put a couple hours into adding something many fans have been asking for for YEARS.

Didn't you know it's more important to use the money on space balloons, fan-made Dragon Age films, IGN hosts, and crappy iOS games?

While I've been enjoying M and K/B I'm interesting in seeing how a controller feels since it could be useful for other games too. What's the cheapest controller I can buy? FWIW I already have a PS3 wireless controller, but I never got that program to work that apparently allowed you play with it on your computer. Also if Gamestop sells the controller let me know so I can do a "rental" test.

The Pinnacle profile just doesn't feel right for me, not sure I'm going to be able to play this one. Using 360 controller with pure mouse emulation just doesn't feel good and isn't accurate; the game needs SOME kind of controller awareness.

Plus my character would keep walking when I let go of the stick.

Sounds like you need to adjust the deadzone.

Top Bottom