• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4) Comic-Con Panel Transcript (timeline correction, PC is human, more)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since this is definitive info, and apparently some of the old info is wrong, I thought a new thread might be appropriate.

Transcript: http://www.nerdappropriate.com/2014...charting-a-course-mass-effect-panel-coverage/

Excerpts focused on clarification:

Timeline/Setting:
Mass Effect 4, where in the timeline is it? “It’s not called Mass Effect 4, damn it! What I will say is that (long sigh) you’re NOT playing as Shepard and Shepard is not a central part of the story, so you can assume whatever you need to assume from that. We want to give players new places to explore [and] uncharted areas that haven’t been explored before.” – Mike Gamble

Main Character:
Is the protagonist strictly human, or can we play as a Turian? “So that is a big one, we haven’t locked down the specifics of that one yet. For sure your main character will be human but in terms of other playable races… we can’t talk about that at this point.” -Mike Gamble

PvP:
Is there any plan to add player vs. player multiplayer? - “At this point there are no plans, but things could change. Competition is always critical, but at the same time cooperation is bigger for us.” – Mike Gamble

Mako:
“So, the Mako is back [note: crowd goes crazy], but this isn’t the Mako that you remember, this is a DIFFERENT Mako. The point here is that it is a really agile Mako, it’s different than the one you’ve seen before. There is no cannon on it. Maybe it can hover, maybe it can jump, I don’t know. We’ve [had] a lot of help designing it, it’s gone through a lot of iteration.” – Mike Gamble

“The Mako is meant to be a fast response, point to point vehicle at this point. It’s something you can tear around planets in really quickly and get to where you need to go without a whole lot of fuss. We’re kind of working on the tweaks and the physics, the important part is that the Mako is going to be fundamental to the game. We’re building a game that’s about exploring places, and obviously [if you're] exploring places [you're going to need] a really handy vehicle.” – Mike Gamble

Returning Characters:
Will we be seeing characters like Aria T’Lok again? “We haven’t decided… well, we’ve decided (but aren’t telling yet). The theme is [that] we want to create new experiences for the player, but we still want to bring in elements of what you know and love about the previous trilogy that might include certain characters and it might not. So guaranteed, either way that we end up going you’re going to see a certain amount of the old with the new.” -Mike Gamble

Other Notes:
-Unlike with Unreal Engine 3, they no longer set animation limits for themselves.
-The armor is built in layers and your casual outfit can actually be your main armor with plating removed. It's also built to be something that could actually exist. The female armor will also be notably more appropriate.
-They want to add vehicle customization.
-There will be new and returning alien races.
-They want to notably increase the variety of creatures in the galaxy, and add a lot more that are not 4-6 foot tall humanoids.
-There's more at the link.

Ralemont

not me
So where did the "game will take place during Shepard's lifetime" thing come from? Fan speculation that was misinterpreted as fact?

Phamit

So where did the "game will take place during Shepard's lifetime" thing come from? Fan speculation that was misinterpreted as fact?

Someone didnt understand what Mike Gamble said, but tweeted that she understood that the next Mass effect place during Shepard's lifetime and was confused by Gameble words

raphier

Banned
Is the protagonist strictly human, or can we play as a Turian? “So that is a big one, we haven’t locked down the specifics of that one yet. For sure your main character will be human but in terms of other playable races… we can’t talk about that at this point.” -Mike Gamble
Is there any plan to add player vs. player multiplayer? - “At this point there are no plans, but things could change. Competition is always critical, but at the same time cooperation is bigger for us.” – Mike Gamble

I bet that you play as a human, but your coop-buddy will be an alien.

Banned
This is what I like to hear.

0383_ddf92.gif

Mindlog

The armor is built in layers and your casual outfit can actually be your main armor with plating removed. It's also built to be something that could actually exist. The female armor will also be notably more appropriate.
They're saying a lot of things I want to hear and that's a nice little cherry on top. Some of the armor designs got a little ridiculous. Hopefully this extends to a general level of appropriate armor.
S2q2THa.jpg

Inappropriate.
This is a case where form over function sacrifices both.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're saying a lot of things I want to hear and that's a nice little cherry on top. Some of the armor designs got a little ridiculous. Hopefully this extends to a general level of appropriate armor.
S2q2THa.jpg

Inappropriate.

This is their new armor image of male and female designs:

BtgJTwRCMAE9Ga6.jpg:large

funkypie

Banned
I really wish they ditched the meko. The worst thing about the entire series was the boring generic exploration using the car.

Harlock

Ok, lets imagine Shepard looked at a christian calendar in the ending of Mass Effect 3. Now the character in the next ME game looks at the same christian calendar. The date will be after, before or the same weekend?

MormaPope

Banned
Oh what the fuck. Dragon age lets you select the race of your protagonist, why not mass effect?

It honestly pisses me off, a lot.

I've wanted to play as a Turian, Krogan, or Salarian since Mass Effect 1. Humanity doesn't need to matter in this franchise, yet the savior of the galaxy is always some military human dude. Dragon Age Origin style of introductions based on what alien race you choose. NPCs treating your character differently based on the player character's alien race, meaning different dialog options altogether.

Human only brings my hype down a lot.

Marvel

could never
It sounds like they're going to have lots of options, so I'm assuming the ODST armor isn't the only choice.

For sure, I change my armor frequently and it's nice to be able to do so. Glad they are bringing that back because those early default designs don't get the juices flowing like Onyx Armor used to.

I'm hyped on Mako mk2, it's going to be Gamble-tastic.

I'm sure it will turn out fine, I myself loved it in ME1! was hilarious to use.

TheXbox

So the main character is human, but there may be other playable races. That probably indicates more MP, but hopefully it might mean playable party members.

Gumbie

We get it bioware, it's a whole new story with new characters in new places, but for fucks sake quit being so god damn dodgy about WHEN it takes place compared to the original trilogy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the main character is human, but there may be other playable races. That probably indicates more MP, but hopefully it might mean playable party members.

Well several other parts of the panel talk about MP as a given, so I think they're taking about the campaign (which could also conceivably be co-op).

scarybore

Bioware are talking a pretty good talk so far though I still have certain worries and reservations, would be nice if the new game reinvigorates my love for the Mass Effect universe as it took a real hit with ME3.

I hope they don't go mad with returning characters, it's the sort of thing that always feels cheap and that is made even worse when you have a whole galaxy to explore, yet you keep running into the same people over and over.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm sure it will turn out fine, I myself loved it in ME1! was hilarious to use.

Mate, it was one of my favourite things :)

So satisfying rolling in the Mako, heading past Zhu's Hope on the Skyways... blasting Geth Primes with the canon *swoon*

So why is everyone talking about the mako like it's even relevant to the game at large? Is it because every other question regarding development would just be "So Bioware is notriously incompetent, what are you doing to change that"?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It honestly pisses me off, a lot.

I've wanted to play as a Turian, Krogan, or Salarian since Mass Effect 1. Humanity doesn't need to matter in this franchise, yet the savior of the galaxy is always some military human dude. Dragon Age Origin style of introductions based on what alien race you choose. NPCs treating your character differently based on the player character's alien race, meaning different dialog options altogether.

Human only brings my hype down a lot.

I haven't played Dragon Age games, but Mass Effect is so story/cutscenes heavy as a franchise that if you start to allow different races for the main protagonist, you're going to have to sacrifice a lot on that side, since all those races would have major differences in their background story and the main story of the game will just suffer too much because of it.

Best is to stick with human, and put some missions in there where you might temporarily control an alien squadmate because the commander was captured/knocked out/whatever.

So why is everyone talking about the mako like it's even relevant to the game at large? Is it because every other question regarding development would just be "So Bioware is notriously incompetent, what are you doing to change that"?

"the important part is that the Mako is going to be fundamental to the game. We’re building a game that’s about exploring places, and obviously [if you're] exploring places [you're going to need] a really handy vehicle.”

Jibbed

It sounds like they're going down the Dragon Age route of being able to control party members in combat. I'm guessing that's why they won't categorically rule out playing as other races alongside your human 'man character'.

This I can get behind.

MormaPope

Banned
I haven't played Dragon Age games, but Mass Effect is so story/cutscenes heavy as a franchise that if you start to allow different races for the main protagonist, you're going to have to sacrifice a lot on that side, since all those races would have major differences in their background story.

Best is to stick with human, and put some missions in there where you might temporarily control an alien squadmate because the commander was captured/knocked out/whatever.

Hell, dialog choices don't need to be that varied. In Dragon Age Origins you choose a race, which funnels you down a path where you make another choice. Three races. Two backgrounds for each race. The origin of your character is playable.

For Mass Effect 4, the same system could apply. One quick playable background story for each race, and some, not all, important dialog choices or conversations are changed in the future.

Razia

S2q2THa.jpg

Inappropriate.

The armor in your pic not armor Shepard can wear normally.

As much as I'd like it the ability to play other races like DAO, it would have a heavy impact on the story and it may not end up making any sense. Plus I understand the tone they go for with Mass Effect is for us to feel like the alien. We humans are existing in a galactic community in which we're the newcomer. They'd have to abandon that.

The stuff regarding casual clothing is the opposite of what I wanted to hear. I want to be able to wear awesome looking casual clothing into firefights, like Mal from Firefly or Star-Lord from Guardians of The Galaxy. Basically I want to be able to wear a leather duster.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hell, dialog choices don't need to be that varied. In Dragon Age Origins you choose a race, which funnels you down a path where you make another choice. Three races. Two backgrounds for each race. The origin of your character is playable.

For Mass Effect 4, the same system could apply. One quick playable background story for each race, and some, not all, important dialog choices or conversations are changed in the future.

Maybe.... but Dragon Age is Dragon Age, and Mass Effect is Mass Effect. ME4's story building/framework (for lack of better word) will probably be the "same" as ME1-2-3, where if you could change Shepard to some Turian or Salarian hero instead, the whole story of these games would be far far different.

Top Bottom