• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - 101 questions and answers by Mac Walters

Dat ending.

Video here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-and-answers-about-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

Some highlights:

-Ryder twins can be different ethnicities
-Save file transfer to the game after Andromeda "to be determined"
-Mass Effect: Andromeda is not considered the start of a new trilogy
-No original ME trilogy crewmembers in the game
-Character DLC "to be determined"
-There are no Reapers in the game
-You don't have to fuel up the Tempest
-No communication with the Milky Way galaxy "in this game"
-There is no "precursor" race

Bonus
-Animating them sex scenes a bit uncomfortable but yea, fun to watch

That's pretty cool.
Expected.
Good.
Excellent.
Hope there isn't any.
Good.
Thank god.
Good.
Good!

Wulfram

I don't really believe that character DLC is to be determined. Unless the game is further from release than we think.

I don't really believe that character DLC is to be determined. Unless the game is further from release than we think.
Not every studio begins working on DLC before shipping. And before you mention Mass Effect 2 and 3, yes, I know, but that doesn't mean it's the case here.

I dunno, with the way it's worded he lumps dad in there too. It's pretty unclear.

He could mean that your dad can be of a different ethnicity etc
Maybe the Mom and Dad are of 2 diferent ethnicities and one twin went towards the dad side and the other the mom?

I have a friend who's mom is Japanese and his dad is Pakistani. Him and one of his brothers look very Japanese while the middle brother looks almost exactly like his dad.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Not every studio begins working on DLC before shipping. And before you mention Mass Effect 2 and 3, yes, I know, but that doesn't mean it's the case here.

To be fair, DA:I didn't, but both DA2, and ME2/3 have - there is kind of a precedent.

Granted, I somehow see it being at least a little less likely given how damn long the game has taken, but still.

Plus, given how Javik is 'integrated' into the main game, for example, if it did happen, I couldn't see it not being made ready 'soon', if not now, rather than the 'addon' of Kasumi, or heck, even Zaeed.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm also kind of curious on how the 'to be determined' aspect of what transfers and what doesn't will work.

Either they know the plot points they want to 'shape/influence' the new Andromeda story, or they don't.

If they don't, yes, that's potentially more options available, but it also runs the risk of being ramshackle and half-baked.

But if they do, they run into similar issues to ME2/3 plot point 'payoff' constraints in terms of what they HAVE to fit in, which is especially an issue if everything isn't yet planned out - especially if they're taking the 'new hero every game' route.

Revas

Mac Walters wears Supreme

obama.png

I don't have much faith in Mr. Speculation For Everyone unfortunately.

Shredderi

The game not being considered a start of a new trilogy is a pretty interesting tidbit. You think they wanna do new games after this one? Or circumvent the whole savefile continuity thing by making more standalone titles for the series?

DevilDog

Wasn't Mac Walters the dude who was the lead writer of ME2-3? If so, what is he writing this time?

Really don't like the "We don't know what happens next approach". They will probably make more games, it's better to plan the story ahead, even just a bit. Don't repeat the same mistakes.

Tovarisc

I mean, if we're 4-5 months out from game launch and this is "to be determined" why doesn't he just say no. How does one tracks these things if they aren't coded in-game to be tracked?

I'm also kind of curious on how the 'to be determined' aspect of what transfers and what doesn't will work.

Either they know the plot points they want to 'shape/influence' the new Andromeda story, or they don't.

If they don't, yes, that's potentially more options available, but it also runs the risk of being ramshackle and half-baked.

But if they do, they run into similar issues to ME2/3 plot point 'payoff' constraints in terms of what they HAVE to fit in, which is especially an issue if everything isn't yet planned out - especially if they're taking the 'new hero every game' route.

They could do here what they did with DAI, Dragon Age Keep. It's website where you can generate infinite amount of save files to import into DAI. Pick and choose how key moments in previous games went. Build in checks preventing any conflicts and offering options for user. There even is story recap stuff for previous games.

https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/

They could do here what they did with DAI, Dragon Age Keep. It's website where you can generate infinite amount of save files to import into DAI. Pick and choose how key moments in previous games went. Build in checks preventing any conflicts and offering options for user. There even is story recap stuff for previous games.

https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/

I'm aware of the keep, but using the keep is like using those awful Mass Effect 2 and 3 interactive comics where they only ask about major decisions whereas a proper save file import tracks your responses and actions to characters beyond did I shoot this person or not.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm aware of the keep, but using the keep is like using those awful Mass Effect 2 and 3 interactive comics where they only ask about major decisions whereas a proper save file import tracks your responses and actions to characters beyond did I shoot this person or not.

The Keep's pretty exhaustive, I'd say. It's miles and miles above the Genesis comic.

Floody

Didnt feel too spoiler-y until...

no crewmembers or companions can die in ME:A? hrmm

I'm going to assume they mean during gameplay, but yeah, if not that's a pretty big spoiler, and a little disappointing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm going to assume they mean during gameplay, but yeah, if not that's a pretty big spoiler, and a little disappointing.

I would presume this doesn't just mean gameplay. It was a straightforward question with a straightforward answer.

Floody

I would presume this doesn't just mean gameplay. It was a straightforward question with a straightforward answer.

Could also just be him lying not to spoil anything.
I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one choice path that can end in a crew member dying if you fuck up enough.

Tovarisc

But i wanted this series to be a trilogy. I wonder why they won't do it this time...

They may want to gauge reactions to MEA or just don't want to commit into trilogy after doing one where they kept one upping themselves constantly resulting in some ludicrous stuff.

I think they might go the route of same protagonist but new story so there won't be any major plotlines to carry over. Maybe just character interactions and little stuff like that.

Ooccoo

Dat ending.

Video here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-and-answers-about-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

Some highlights:

Bonus
-Animating them sex scenes a bit uncomfortable but yea, fun to watch