• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda 90's sitcom?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People it's a Bioware game. Early death about someone you actually don't care about at this point is pretty much trope of theirs. Jenkins, Mhairi, Hawke Siblings...
It's not information that will ruin the game and if it does you should rethink about getting it anyway.

MaKTaiL

Oh my God, just watched it. It looks baaaaaaaaaaaad. Elder Scrolls Online has better facial animations and it's a fucking MMO.

HariKari

All the improvements to the RPG aspects and combat means nothing if the writing and dialogue in general is awful. Was watching the Giant Bomb stream and it was painful at times, they didn't seem impressed either.

Bioware can do a lot better.

Everything about this is just wrong. I just can't defend this game anymore. The review thread will definitely be...interesting.

Wow I completely missed this thread! Thanks! I'll have a listen soon.

You really shouldn't, the soundtrack is bad. Like really bad. Not a single track stood out to me. One of the most generic soundtracks I've heard in gaming. Such a disappointment considering ME1 and ME2 had really good soundtracks,specially ME1.

Music for me is like 50% of any game or a movie, so it's a real shame they decided to go for a movie composer to do this game. HUGE missed opportunity to get Jesper kyd on this.

Hold up.

Isn't Ryder in the frame when the scene began?

Yet when she starts talking...she slides into the frame like she just arrived.

Wha- what is happening with this game?

Stiler

I don't get it, the facial animations weren't this bad in ME3, and DA:I used the frostbite engine and it looked leagues better then this does.

What the heck happened? It legit looks like they borrowed TES/Fallout style animation and imported it in.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Games like this just show how far ahead Naughty Dog are of everyone else when it comes to semi realistic human visuals, animation and voice acting.

HariKari

What the heck happened? It legit looks like they borrowed TES/Fallout style animation and imported it in.

I think they ran out of time and couldn't get enough polish done. Peebee is still holding her gun backwards in the GB stream, as an example. EA can't afford to let this slip.

I think they ran out of time and couldn't get enough polish done. Peebee is still holding her gun backwards in the GB stream, as an example. EA can't afford to let this slip.

I really don't know how this is possible though, game has been in development for a long time, more than 3 years with multiple delays. So what's their excuse?

RedAssedApe

Banned
man i hate when there's a noticeable quality difference between the human character and npc facial models during close-ups.

horizon does it right.

the review thread is gonna be fun lol

tuxfool

Banned
Games like this just show how far ahead Naughty Dog are of everyone else when it comes to semi realistic human visuals, animation and voice acting.

I'll reserve judgement for when Naughty Dog actually makes an open world RPG instead of a rigidly scripted action/adventure game.

I'm so torn about this game right now. I can deal with bioware jank animations and voice acting, the deal breaker for me is the writing.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'll reserve judgement for when Naughty Dog actually makes an open world RPG instead of a rigidly scripted action/adventure game.

I can excuse optional / side quests for poor animation / voice acting but surely a company as big as BioWare can get closer to ND for their $50+ million flagship space opera main quest line?

How has this not been posted?
me.atposez9jtt.gif

hey Bynum makes a cameo!

Vire

I can excuse optional / side quests for poor animation / voice acting but surely a company as big as BioWare can get closer to ND for their $50+ million flagship space opera main quest line?

Forget Naughty Dog, how about compared to games made by the same company?

They did but it was a cartoony game. :p

Other than that it's probably going to be a loooong time until they do something like that because they think open world game design hurts narrative. I agree with that opinion but developers are evolving a lot in that regard, Horizon ended up being a pretty focused game story wise but you still can lose yourself outside the main story.

aadiboy

There are PS2 games with more believable facial emotions...I would honestly put FFXII and KH2 ahead of this, and those games came out over 10 years ago.

tuxfool

Banned
Naughty Dog or not, this looks worse than Inquisition

Oh absolutely. It is significantly worse.

They did but it was a cartoony game. :p

Other than that it's probably going to be a loooong time until they do something like that because they think open world game design hurts narrative. I agree with that opinion but developers are evolving a lot in that regard, Horizon ended up being a pretty focused game story wise but you still can lose yourself outside the main story.
Horizon is pretty impressive in that aspect. However while I think the facial models and animation rigs of the NPCS were great, they had appalling synchronization with the sounds coming out of them, I don't understand how they could get those wrong. Honestly, in terms of actual conversation systems in an open world the best is still the Witcher 3.

Yeah, they can, and they should. As others have noted, Inquisition pulled in an all-round better result.

Lol. Geeze. The main characters really are lame looking. I don't know what it is, and I'm not sure if they pale to Shepard because we've spent so long with him that change is weirding us out, but I'm just not feeling either of them at all.

This game went to my most hyped to my most "aw fuck" game so quickly.

I'm still holding up hope.. I have it preordered and I'm still cautiously excited, but man....

Jesus fuck as was excited as hell for this game when they showed it off at the PS4 pro event last year and I was very much looking forward to getting my hands on it. But the ever growing snowball of janky,unpolished, undercooked shit when it comes to character interactions, facial animations, dialogue and character animations is souring me very quickly on the game.

Yeeesh at the awkward long pauses between sentences.

Didn't realize Kumail Nanjiani was a voice in this. When I heard him speak I thought maybe they'd dubbed some show he was on over the actual dialogue until I heard them use Andromeda-specific words.

Nessus

The earlier Mass Effect games had a lot of those same stilted pauses during dialogue. I had really hoped they'd fix it for this one.

Top Bottom