• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - EA/Origin Access trial coming March 16th - 10 hour trial

So somebody said that the game played well in 21:9 but that dialogue cutscenes where in 16:9...

But does that mean like, literally every time you talk to someone or what?

Can someone please confirm?

EDIT: Crap, top of the page... Post more PC screenshots guys! Wanna see that outer space eye candy.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
i5 4670
16gb RAM
1080 GTX

Running everything at ultra at 1440p

Been playing a bit on PC, seems to freeze in prerendered cut scenes at times and I have to force close the game which is a pain in the hole.

FPS seems really random on the bridge of the Hyperion it dropped to mid 20s (during in game cut scenes) but in normal gameplay its in the 60-70 range, jumping to over 100 at times.

It's not a looker by any stretch of the imagination but serviceable (character models let the game down, I love everything else). God I've missed ME.

Though some of the dialogue and 'banter' is terrible.

moop1167

Game isn't even working on pc for me. Game loads up, shows in a small window (doesnt say not responding) and the screen is blank and nothing happens.

Also and apparently it says my trial has started so time is ticking and I can't do anything.

Is anyone else having this problem? I literally cannot play even though it's saying it's running. No errors or anything.

Carlius

Banned
constant 60 fps on 1070 16gb ddr4 and 6700k. no drops at all so far. but man, the animations, the dialogue, no emotions, no umph. i want space jesus back!

also, i get weird graphics glithces, and on some scenes the DOF just keeps going on and off.

carlsojo

Playing on X1 and man it looks terrible. It's blurry af. I'm only on the character creator so I hope it's a film grain filter that can be turned off.

I can tell you I had to turn it off on PC, dunno if it's the same on X1.

Noooo idea why they would make it a default.

GavinUK86

Are you still downloading by any chance? People are reporting better performance as well as no stutter after the download finishes.

Nope fully downloaded.

Game considers menu to be level, can be found in levels folder. Most likely running without FPS cap.

Capped to 60 due to vsync and afterburner.

I'm finding the only way to stick 60fps on a 970 is medium/high settings at 900p using the resolution scale. As soon as I go full 1080p it uses around 20% more and causes drops down to 50.

Glad I didn't instantly redeem the thing I bought some months ago.
An Xbox code, and I'll be buying the PC version, so no saved progress, but whatever.

dEvAnGeL

i7 2600K @ 4.4
980ti
Windows 10 x64
16 gigs of ddr3 ram @ 1600
Game installed on ssd

Film Grain: off
Chromatic Aberration: off
Resolution Scale: off
Texture Quality: ultra
AA: temporal AA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO
Post Process: high
Texture Filtering: ultra
Lightning Quality: ultra
Shadows Quality: high
Effects Quality: high
Mesh Quality: ultra
Shader Quality: high
Terrain Quality: ultra
Vegetation Quality: ultra

Rock solid 60 except on cutscenes, it drops to around 55 frames sometimes when to many characters on cutscene, already playing on the planet and have gotten in to a few gunfights and the frame is stable, when i use resolution scale at 1.25 the frame is still stable during gameplay but in cutscenes it tanks to the high 40s, so far better than i expected for my rig to be honest.

sdornan

So is this basically the Mass Effect equivalent of Dragon Age: Inquisition? Pretty decent but fails to reach the highs of its predecessors (in DA's case, Origins, not 2)?

wig

Disabled film grain and chromatic aberration. Game still looks terrible (X1). Yikes.

I'm enjoying the gameplay and story so far tho.

Can't wait to play this over the weekend. Going to delete Inquisition to make some room on my Xbox.

Quick question for those who have messed around with the character creator: do you only get default Alec Ryder if you stick to the default twins? I'm going to be editing both, but they'll probably both be white with brown hair, so I'm curious if the game will generate an Alec based on that, or stick with the original.

Phamit

I'm at the nexus now, characters and facial animation are not good, but the atmosphere is cool.

Story and Gameplay is also good so far.

Isurus

Playing on X1 and man it looks terrible. It's blurry af. I'm only on the character creator so I hope it's a film grain filter that can be turned off.

Turn off the optical effects in settings. It looks way better, IMO.

Risev1

Holy crap this character creation system is shit-tier. You can only select from a few presets and then edit so many things. Sounds good right? Except the things you really want to edit, you can't touch those. Blemishes and stuff are hard-locked to each preset. This is terrible. You also can't edit the default appearances for male and female Ryder, even though they're the only decent preset to work with.

As a huge Mass Effect fan reading some of these impressions is bumming me out.

I really need to fire up the trial and try it out for myself.

JCH!

So, just got to the Nexus. Some impressions:

- Characters look like ass. Embarrassing, really.
- Writing is hilariously bad.
- Environments look quite nice, and run pretty well on my rig.
- Really like the new dialog wheel with the different 'tones' for replies.
- Combat feels pretty fun and challenging, at least on insanity.
- Movement is a bit janky but whizzing around with the jetpack is quite fun.
- Not at all a fan of the new scanner thingy. I can already see it becoming tedious as fuck.
- Music is great. Had been the highlight so far.

Will try multiplayer tomorrow!

OMG I think my character had a super light shade of lipstick on that flairs up from the corners of the lips and i couldnt see it in the lighting of the character creator. now in game i look like the fucking joker

iddqd

I've played two hours and I don't mind it thus far.
"I DON'T MIND IT" is not what I wanted from Mass Effect but this might be a nice purchase down the road once its half price.

Going to wait for more reviews, interesting to see this Franchise fall a bit when compared to the rest of the AAA video game output.

$5 seems like a good deal to try this early, and if I end up buying it (99% sure I am) I get a 10% discount so it basically pays for itself.

Now I just need to wait 1.5 hours before the download finishes.

Depending on how it runs on my dated hardware, I may finally get a 1060 or 1070 to upgrade my old 660ti.

LuuKyK

Holy crap this character creation system is shit-tier. You can only select from a few presets and then edit so many things. Sounds good right? Except the things you really want to edit, you can't touch those. Blemishes and stuff are hard-locked to each preset. This is terrible. You also can't edit the default appearances for male and female Ryder, even though they're the only decent preset to work with.

Holy shit, so it's worse than the Inquisition one?

Ugh, I knew this would be the case when they were so silent about it.

Seriously Bioware, is it so hard to do a decent character creator? Ffs.

M.W.

I've played two hours and I don't mind it thus far.
"I DON'T MIND IT" is not what I wanted from Mass Effect but this might be a nice purchase down the road once its half price.

Going to wait for more reviews, interesting to see this Franchise fall a bit when compared to the rest of the AAA video game output.

Run! Run away!
Rq9zqLP.gif

Patchy

Banned
Halo 4 lead writer who also left a year ago (a bad sign, imo)

Mac Walters (ME2, ME3) is the creative director of this project.

Yikes.

This has shattered me, I wanted it to be good and this just seems to be a bit of a debacle based on the numerous reports I am seeing.

Ryzaki009

Holy shit, so it's worse than the Inquisition one?

Ugh, I knew this would be the case when they were so silent about it.

Seriously Bioware, is it so hard to do a decent character creator? Ffs.

? What was wrong with Inquisition's outside the garbage eyebrows and hair.

I'm liking the game so far but I've got a weird camera issue going on that's making aiming a pain in the ass.

The camera is rocking back and forth and I don't know how to fix it.

EDIT: Restarting the game fixed it for me.

Just finished my first coop match (bronze). Overall pretty fun, but it's not clicking with me the way ME3MP did. The combat/mechanics feel just a bit off, and I really miss the charged melee attack. Base Weapons feel a bit too weak. I'm not used to the menus, but my initial reaction is that I prefer ME3.

Playing on X1: graphics are not terrible, but not outstanding either, they're just average. Frame rate seems ok, but I have noticed several bugs - enemies warping, etc.

I'll definitely be playing more over the next few days. Looking forward to trying the campaign out a bit.

Fanuilos

Eh, I'll wait until it's much cheaper. I'm glad EA gave the option of trying it out early. Just seems half baked without the heart and soul of the previous games. I also miss Garrus and Tali.

Emitan

Playing on PC. Character creator is way limited compared to previous games and Dragon Age 3. Borderless Windowed mode is broken half the time. Game runs like garbage. I have an i7 2600k and a GTX 960. I have to put it on lowest settings to get a playable stable framerate. Haven't gotten to combat yet. Also facial animations are already bad.

Mass Effect is my favorite series but good god this is an awful first impression.

Zesh

An hour in and it feels janky as fuck. Guess we know it's a BioWare game.

Doesn't look great either, and everyone's eyes look completely dead.

Went with Scrapper as my starting profile (basically Vanguard), and I have Charge, but I don't have a shotgun yet.

Top Bottom