• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Game Informer Details (Combat, story, more) [Up: All Info]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not. Saying "the controls" aren't tight is just a bad descriptive term.

OK, the camera is floaty, the getting into cover is finicky, there aren't many options for movement (rolling and the like), and sprinting was awkwardly fast compared to normal movement.

The mechanics are fine, but the shooting is not just "leave your finger in the trigger" kind of shooting, like said, it's volley based.

Except it is. Quite literally with some mods, in fact. I don't know where you're getting the "volley" word from. If anything the sequels include more volleys because they actually force you to use the cover system. You can just run straight through ME1 without thinking at all.

the weapons were not homogenous unless you didn't bother customizing them with different mods and ammo types.

But what did that do other than slightly change DPS? None of the weapons felt very different. They didn't have distinct enough firing patterns.

when people talk about RPG elements lost is about those statistical and functional variances given by those items. Making a mini-nuke heavy weapon vs a grenade launcher is the RPG vs Shooter design people complain about. You prefer one, that's fine, that doesn't make the other one "wrong".

I don't understand your point here. What about a grenade launcher vs. a mini-nuke launcher illustrates the RPG/Shooter divide? Regardless though, ME1 doesn't have more tactical options. It just doesn't. It was just as much a TPS as its successors, except it just wasn't as good at it.

I'm sure you played like that, but it isn't the most "optimal strategy" just because you did.

But it is the most optimal strategy. It requires the least amount of effort for the quickest and best results. The problem isn't that I want to play like that (I don't), the problem is that the game is so poorly designed that I can play like that. There are no mechanics that force me to play more tactically.

Most of the times they were more open areas, so your "connected rooms" complaint sounds false anyway. Go play it again.

That's not true. Noveria, Feros, Therum, Ilos, all of them were mainly a bunch of interconnected rooms with random crates in them. Most of the rest were those prefab bases, which generally had worse level design. Very rarely did you play in open environments, and when you did, they were either bland like the uncharted worlds or restricted like Virmire.

Call it what you like, it was fine and any ME was a better game for its atmosphere and plot than for whatever mechanical improvements they tried to do like scanning planets or buying fuel and running from tiny reapers in the galaxy map.

And the sequels were better for dropping the first game's janky gunplay, inventory, and leveling, and succeed despite their somewhat worse plot and atmosphere because of their endearing character moments. I like all the Mass Effect games, but I don't kid myself about their shortcomings.

Like I said, Mass Effect focused on character development almost exclusively, and had for more characters, many who benefited from already being introduced. I liked Legion and Thane and Mordin, etc. Saying Garrus wasn't Garrus until 2 is just ridiculous, tho. Wrex and Ash and Liara and Garrus were all themselvessince 1. Of course they are going to grow with more development in subsequent games, that's just common sense. It doesn't make the particular character writing unoriginal in any cases, i.e. daddy issues for everyone.

It's true though, that Garrus wasn't himself until 2. BioWare gave him a personality.

I take it if I never finished the original trilogy I should be able to pick right up here? I need to get back to it one day but I only started ME2 and just stopped.

Kaji AF16

I went from "Krusty WTF face" thanks to the very weak PS4 Pro tech demo to an enormous hype, with today´s news. I shouldn´t pre-order, but... Mass Effect is my favorite series. I don´t know if I will resist.

Schlorgan

I went from "Krusty WTF face" thanks to the very weak PS4 Pro tech demo to an enormous hype, with today´s news. I shouldn´t pre-order, but... Mass Effect is my favorite series. I don´t know if I will resist.

tumblr_novglgkXJV1qeg36jo1_540.gif

Fruitster

I'm loving most of these details, cheers Shinobi. A classless system is certainly a big change so i'm looking forward to seeing this aspect in more detail.

Asari, Krogan etc will be in the extreme minority in Andromeda, and the ONLY Humans in the entire Galaxy are the ones that arrived on the ship with you. Meaning there will be no Human NPC's with quest lines, or settlements, etc in the game.

I guess that depends on how much earlier the Nexus arrived in Andromeda than Hyperion. There could be some human (or at least Milky Way alien) settlements established by the time the game begins.

But yeah I share the general concern about hubs and cities. The gritty urban areas were some of the best settings in Mass Effect. I don't want this game to be like Dragon Age Inquisition which was all wilderness all the time.

Cruxist

Can't wait for the multiplayer. ME3's was a surprise hit for me and my roommate in college. Spent wayyy too much time on that and will gladly jump back in. More modifiers can only make it more fun.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This is the sort of info I was looking for. I was always day #1 Bioware, but now I'm back to being hyped once more.

Sasie

Bioware's love of a titles as a cheap way of avoiding names in voiced conversations really need to stop. It's just getting silly at this point. Champion, Herald, Outlander and now Pathfinder. For some reason it seems to be getting worse and worse with each iteration as well.

I think Bioware almost completely lost me, there was a time when every game they made was my personal game of the year but they just gradually stripped away anything that made their games stand out or be different from the rest to the point where Mass effect trailer now felt like I might not recognized it if I had not known what I watched.

Personally I don't think either Mass effect or Dragon age will be allowed to survive too much longer before EA simply try to milk whatever money (multiplayer) is left in the franchises before sending them over to mobile.

Edit: I would also like to argue that for all the complaints about the alien crew mates in Mass effect 1 the game had the best human squad mates ever. Kaidan and Ashley were great characters. Ashley was especially well written and reflected the kind of attitude most humans had toward aliens in Mass effect and then for some reason never showcased again in the sequels.

I hope they allow the customization of the family's race. For example I wanna make Scott Black, Sara White and Alex Asian. I want them to be his adopted kids. But on second thought since their twins this probably won't be possible:/

CrazyDude

Bioware's love of a titles as a cheap way of avoiding names in voiced conversations really need to stop. It's just getting silly at this point. Champion, Herald, Outlander and now Pathfinder. For some reason it seems to be getting worse and worse with each iteration as well.

So then what is your solution?

MadYarpen

I like most of what was posted here.
I am not sure about choices/fialogues though.
I guess there will be improvement over ME1-3, but still... It will stay bioware as fuck. Like, why there always have to be 4 determined cathegories of answers?

Sasie

So then what is your solution?

For this game they could just as easily used Ryder and between siblings sis/brother or even given the sibling a default name to be used when not played. Titles seems a cheap way to get around it and the whole being the chosen one is seriously getting old. Not even the Bhaalspawn in Baldur's gate were this special.

Ridesh

Banned

I think Bioware almost completely lost me, there was a time when every game they made was my personal game of the year but they just gradually stripped away anything that made their games stand out or be different from the rest to the point where Mass effect trailer now felt like I might not recognized it if I had not known what I watched.

Personally I don't think either Mass effect or Dragon age will be allowed to survive too much longer before EA simply try to milk whatever money (multiplayer) is left in the franchises before sending them over to mobile.

Edit: I would also like to argue that for all the complaints about the alien crew mates in Mass effect 1 the game had the best human squad mates ever. Kaidan and Ashley were great characters. Ashley was especially well written and reflected the kind of attitude most humans had toward aliens in Mass effect and then for some reason never showcased again in the sequels.
Lol, people like to complain about the weirdest things about bioware games, it's like a nitpick competition.

You have 2 viable solutions to this:
-A fixed character like Geralt
-No voice-acting.

Both are a thousand times worse that having an inoffensive name like Ryder or pathfinder.

For this game they could just as easily used Ryder and between siblings sis/brother or even given the sibling a default name to be used when not played. Titles seems a cheap way to get around it and the whole being the chosen one is seriously getting old. Not even the Bhaalspawn in Baldur's gate were this special.

Of the three possible options:

-100% set name with no player choice
-Changeable first name with a pre-set last name that allows it to be spoken in dialog
-Fully customizeable name that no one ever says and the writers have to awkwardly write around

The one we get is the best one. _____ Ryder, with 'Pathfinder' to throw in some variety.

Sou Da

For this game they could just as easily used Ryder and between siblings sis/brother or even given the sibling a default name to be used when not played.
They did exactly what you recommended. They did it for DAI too, what are you even on about?

The only time they didn't do this was in DA:O outside of the origin.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
-These don't affect you or sway a meter one way or another, rather they allow you freedom without worrying about unintended consequences

This is good if there's still data tracking behind the scenes to map how characters respond to you, but poor if it has literally no impact on anything. Complete regression of role playing narrative.

denx

This is good if there's still data tracking behind the scenes to map how characters respond to you, but poor if it has literally no impact on anything. Complete regression of role playing narrative.

-Decisions aren't necessarily obvious "right" or "wrong", there are pros and cons to each
The wording is ambiguous, but it seems like there will be consequences of some sort for the choices you make.

Ralemont

not me

I think by unintended consequences they mean stuff like getting locked out of P/R persuades. DAI tracked even the content of your dialogue choices (play an atheist and people will bring up in later conversations that you said you were an atheist) so I expect that for ME.

Prologue

Everything sounds great.

Each ark having a different species sounds odd though, from a scientific point of view lol. Wouldn't you mix up all the arks to have the greatest diversity? God forbid three of them fall.

Giolon

I am getting more hyped up for this than I feel like I should be given how Bioware disappointed me in the past.

Farks!

Sounds promising. ME1 but with polished combat and non-repetitive environments is the ME game I've been wanting.

inky

And the sequels were better for dropping the first game's janky gunplay, inventory, and leveling, and succeed despite their somewhat worse plot and atmosphere because of their endearing character moments. I like all the Mass Effect games, but I don't kid myself about their shortcomings..

Hard to agree with that last part when you act like going the corridor shooter route somehow made the game better, improvements in the gunplay and all. And no, the shooting areas in 2 were not superior at all nor better designed. Encounters like Horizon are some of the worst in the series. 3 has a lot of MP maps doubling for locations and boring turret sequences that make old Medal of Honor ones look like they were designed by geniuses. I just found them more tedious and certainly not better games. And my point was that the first games flaws were overstated, not entirely nonexistent.

In any case, many other people do kid themselves about other shortcomings that have nothing to do with mechanics. I also like things in all the games to a degree, mostly character moments as well. The fact is, plenty of flaws in everything from mechanics to story and sidequests and characters are ignored in 2 and 3, and the "jankiness" of 1 is always used as an excuse to justify that point.

It was one of the first *console* games with those, yes, though Ultimate Team still predates that.

However, this idea has existed in other types of gaming (and even real life) for ages.

Games like Magic: The Gathering or actual Gachapon machines are two examples.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer DLC was all free due to the crates, and there was a lot of it.

I suspect the post launch support on this one will be quite a bit more expansive as well given service games now rule the roost, it's much easier to do on modern consoles, and they won't be shipping another Mass Effect title for at least 3-4 years.

Thanks for confirming, yeah ME3 was one of the frist AAA games that put these gacha mechanics in, I remember quite a bit of a stir that came along with it.

-Emphasis that relationships don't just culminate in a sex scene, but rather characters can just want to get in the sack, while others are interested in long term relationships and others still aren't interested at all. Bioware wanted to capture more "shooting bottles with Garrus" moments in the game, of which there are plenty

This is exactly the direction I want to see Bioware games go. Garrus bottle shooting was one of the most endearing scenes with a game character I've ever had.

Sasie

Isn't that exactly what Bioware is doing in this game?

They did exactly what you recommended. They did it for DAI too, what are you even on about?

The only time they didn't do this was in DA:O outside of the origin.

In a manner of speaking. The Pathfinder title is not even needed but BIoware seems to like to make their characters special at the start of the game. Even when it's titles from organisations who supposedly exist in the game it's mostly just the player because we almost never meet other Spectres, using earlier Mass effect games as examples.

It would been nice to have a more down to earth main character for once.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
...Yeah no...Mass Effect 1 is not only the best in the series, it's one of the best RPG's ever made.

I'd take ME1's stellar writing and clunky yet rewarding gameplay any day over ME2/3's boring gameplay and serviceable writing.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. ME1 has the best villain of the three but ME2 has the best writing of the three by far. It's one of the best written games in the medium's history. I have played the series through in full three times over, and every single time moving to ME2 is a relief and a pleasure. The gameplay is so much better, the writing is sublime. ME1 is a wonderful introduction to the world but people who think it plays better than the sequels are off in crazytown, IMO. It's clunky and half-baked in tons of ways, and obviously trying to be the shooter hybrid that ME2 and ME3 actually are.

Sou Da

In a manner of speaking. The Pathfinder title is not even needed but BIoware seems to like to make their characters special at the start of the game. Even when it's titles from organisations who supposedly exist in the game it's mostly just the player because we almost never meet other Spectres, using earlier Mass effect games as examples.

It would been nice to have a more down to earth main character for once.

If that was your criticism I don't why you included the voice acting stuff in your older posts.

Thank you for the write up OP!!

Super hyped for this game, cannot wait!

Edit: holy shit this is coming out in 4 months???

Super hyped now!

Edit 2: pre ordered!

Warablo

Oh great, jack of all trade character. I'm out.

I don't think that is the case. I think they just want people to try out all of the classes without being locked into a play style. Maybe they have stats where barely anyone played some of the classes or something.

Sasie

If that was your criticism I don't why you included the voice acting stuff in your older posts.

I still think voice acting was the original reason they started the practice and they just kept it up since. In Mass effect 1 Spectre seems to be a reason for us to be allowed to go around the law and be outside the alliance usual chain of command. Why I didn't include it. The player Warden was probably similar to one-size-fit-all solution to get around the backgrounds but it wasn't voiced so wasn't as noticeable.

The Herald very much seems a replacement for a name and the Outlander is for sure. The Pathfinder just seems to me like Bioware following earlier habits even when the need for it is not there. They already have a name so they don't need the title but they still seem to want the title anyway.

To make it more simple the whole Bioware formula people accused them of having for years is starting to become a little too noticeable now that there are no longer new settings to cover it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom