• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Game Informer Details (Combat, story, more) [Up: All Info]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude who wrote the Sith Warrior story in SWTOR is doing P.B

Luke K, who was the lead writer on BG2 is doing Liam

Huh, Lightside SW was a lot of fun.

More like,
Bioware painted themselves in a corner with the ME3 ending.

Yeah, but there's a significantly easier explanation in-universe: that the program was picked up by the Citadel council after they found out about the Reapers.

Nice to have some single player details. You can envision a proper Mass Effect game in there with the potential to feel both familiar and fresh.

No thanks

That was basically how the ME3 system worked, and now they've got the secondary currency so you can buy stuff directly. So long as they don't make the prices outrageously unfair (and they didn't the first time around, so fingers crossed), I see no reason to have an issue with it.

what is the difference between shinobi posting every point of info from the magazine and someone posting the entire contents of an article from a website? Why is one frowned upon and this is not?

I am not saying I am personally offended or have anything against shinobi, i'm actually grateful for the writeup. I am just wondering where the line is drawn. Having that wall of info in the OP surely reduces the potential of number of sales/subscriptions/hits gameinformer will get, especially because its such a huge feature for them. The incentive to go to the source is not there anymore.

At a guess, because one is summary and the other is prose? Or something about the legal complexities of a summary vs. a full-on copy. Isn't the scans policy about legality, mostly?

Samaritan

This all sounds really promising, but I remain worried that Andromeda won't feel nearly as alien as an entirely other galaxy should. Would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, however.

So probably some boring dude that will be overshadowed by all the awesome alien squadmates?

That's up for your personal interpretation I guess.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed James' addition and moments in ME3 (including the Citadel add-on). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's up for your personal interpretation I guess.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed James' addition and moments in ME3 (including the Citadel add-on). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

James was great, but even counting him ME doesn't have a great track record with male human squaddies, lol. Kaiden was the Dullest Man Alive (emphasis on "was"), and Jacob wasn't much better somehow... you'd think being a sorta-terrorist supersoldier with daddy issues would be interesting but nope, dishwater.

Harlequin

Even the Witcher uses a paraphrase system in it's latest release.

The paraphrase system is fine really, as long as what the character actually says in the voiceline is reasonably close to the tone implied.

In practice, you'll always have at least a few instances where that doesn't work out, though.

Simo

Ahh, my bad, you're right. Still though he works for the magazine.

The guys from Game Informer have posted here before whenever a new issue is out. They're not exactly happy that pages of coverage and their articles gets condensed to a few bullet points.

This all sounds really promising, but I remain worried that Andromeda won't feel nearly as alien as an entirely other galaxy should. Would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, however.

i think overall it won't feel or look as alien as it should (or as alien as we imagine), but there is still opportunity for them to make pockets and instances where their creativity runs wild.

119581-Spiderman-3-James-Franco-So-Go-gB1l.gif

I seriously can't wait for this.

While I don't hate them... Yeah. Expecting Vega at best, Jacob and Kaiden at worst. Overshadowed regardless.

I really like Kaidan (especially in ME3) and Ash, but poor Jacob sadly ended up being a whole lot of nothing. Kaidan and Miranda did also leave us with very high (biotic) booty standards, though, so the new human squad mates also have that legacy to live up to.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok I'm so lost. Is this a prequel or way after the events of ME3? Serious question.

Wayyyyyyyy after ME3.

The mission took place before the Reaper invasion, but when they arrived at Andromeda it's wayy after the events of ME3 concluded.

So these new guys don't know about the Reaper and everything that happened because of it. A convenient way to retcon the Reaper out of the existence considering how ME3 ended, lol.

megalowho

That was basically how the ME3 system worked, and now they've got the secondary currency so you can buy stuff directly. So long as they don't make the prices outrageously unfair (and they didn't the first time around, so fingers crossed), I see no reason to have an issue with it.
It's a luck of the draw system that funnels players into spending money for a chance to unlock the one character or weapon they may be interested in. I get it didn't bother many but it was a turnoff that kept me from playing more. The universal currency sounds like a step in the right direction at least, depending on how it's balanced.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The thing that kept me from playing more of the multiplayer is that I'm not big on static environments and a lack of narrative incentive. I don't think I could ever spend much time playing a video game that's the same locations over and over without storyline agency of any real sort.

But I still logged like 80 hours anyway because my BSN buds and I had a good time on Saturday nights sometimes, ha.

Rezbit

Honestly this is all sounding really good on paper. Now to see if they can pull it off! But who am I kidding I am there day one regardless.

Genkobar

GET HYPE!

Combat

-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics

Wow, this is one hell of a change! I expect I'll still spec to something like a vanguard (hoping that the charge and nova return, alternating between those skills in ME3 was so much fun), but it's cool that they're allowing people to customize completely.

Choices
-No more Paragon/Renegade system
-Decisions aren't necessarily obvious "right" or "wrong", there are pros and cons to each and you'll just have to play the game the way you want

This is awesome and quite shocking really, because it is such a game changer for the series. It should lead to choices feeling more like the Witcher series, which is great. Just having a binary axis was becoming more of a drawback for the series, so I'm glad they've gone with this.

It's a luck of the draw system that funnels players into spending money for a chance to unlock the one character or weapon they may be interested in. I get it didn't bother many but it was a turnoff that kept me from playing more. The universal currency sounds like a step in the right direction at least, depending on how it's balanced.

Honestly, it's easily the most "fair" microtransaction system I'd ever encountered. Yes, it could occasionally be frustrating if you had exactly one thing in mind and are only interesting in pursuing it, but otherwise? You're earning a Specter pack every 3-4 games, that's a fantastic clip for how much stuff is in one of those.

The thing that kept me from playing more of the multiplayer is that I'm not big on static environments and a lack of narrative incentive. I don't think I could ever spend much time playing a video game that's the same locations over and over without storyline agency of any real sort.

But I still logged like 80 hours anyway because my BSN buds and I had a good time on Saturday nights sometimes, ha.

For me, it took the core gameplay loop from ME3 singleplayer (already great) and crystalized it. Add in the crazy-ass classes they started adding later and you're cooking with gas.

Speely

Banned
Honestly this is all sounding really good on paper. Now to see if they can pull it off! But who am I kidding I am there day one regardless.

This is where I am at as well. I have reservations (the changes design-wise look very good on paper but the implementation could potentially take the series into a weird place,) but at the same time this is the one AAA franchise I am there for day one no matter what.

I'm fine with no Paragon/Renegade, but thinking about it now, I might miss the checks for those game changing choices. I loved being able to unify the Geth and the Quarians.

DAI isn't voiced and the Witcher has even less clear paraphrases.

Unless you're complaining about the wheel itself which seems petty.
Even the Witcher uses a paraphrase system in it's latest release.

The paraphrase system is fine really, as long as what the character actually says in the voiceline is reasonably close to the tone implied.

No. I'm bothered by the icons that tell me what the hell I'm trying to say.
-Dialogue option tones: heart, head, professional and casual.
Like seriously Bioware, I can read and understand what I'm about to say. Stop treating me like an idiot with your *heart*, *punch*, whatever icons that your showing in the middle of that dialogue wheel.

Witcher series and DA:O did it the right way

JeffG

Like seriously Bioware, I can read and understand what I'm about to say. Stop treating me like an idiot with your *heart*, *punch*, whatever icons that your showing in the middle of that dialogue wheel.

Maybe its not meant for you. Sometimes there are features of a game that is meant to help include others.

If you don't like it. Dont look at them.

If you can't do that. Pick up COD

Then turn the icons off...? Was an option in DA:I, probably gonna be in ME:A.

DAO in unvoiced btw, totally different.

Speely

Banned
GET HYPE!

Wow, this is one hell of a change! I expect I'll still spec to something like a vanguard (hoping that the charge and nova return, alternating between those skills in ME3 was so much fun), but it's cool that they're allowing people to customize completely.

This is awesome and quite shocking really, because it is such a game changer for the series. It should lead to choices feeling more like the Witcher series, which is great. Just having a binary axis was becoming more of a drawback for the series, so I'm glad they've gone with this.

Agreed on both points 100%. As long as there are specific advantages to specializing, allowing people to get creative is great. I have played a ton of games with narrow classes and broad customization alike, and one thing I have learned is that one model is not automatically better or worse at making choices matter. I love systems that allow for diversity in builds but also provide for a nice balance between specialization and versatility.

As to the loss of the Paragon/Renegade system: FINALLY. Do not make a simple, binary game mechanic to simulate some half-assed version of role-playing. I would rather see no "gamey" game mechanic tied to dialogue choices. Only story variations.

Phamit

You can turn the icons off

Maybe its not meant for you. Sometimes there are features of a game that is meant to help include others.

If you don't like it. Do look at them.

So either I have to like everything Bioware does or I should just go play COD? That sounds logical.
You can turn the icons off
Then turn the icons off...? Was an option in DA:I, probably gonna be in ME:A.

DAO in unvoiced btw, totally different.
You could turn those off? Seriously? Then why the hell didn't they present that to you as an option before you start the game?! BIOWARE!!!

Man, now I wish I knew that before I played DA:I :( Absolutely hated it in that game (and in DA2 before that). I really hope they keep the icons optional in ME:A as well then.

Setting aside for a moment the question of whether or not the icons are an insult to the player's intelligence, what's up with the categories?

-Head
-Heart
-Professional
-Casual
-Neutral (presumably)

Don't really make sense as an all-encompassing set. They're not exclusionary (why can't something be professional AND head?), and there's the real possibility of overlap (heart jokingly laughing something off vs. heart belligerently chewing someone out).

So I finally read through the list. I have to say, I'm liking what I'm seeing for the vast majority of it, especially about them "opening things up" and giving the player more freedom and flexibility on progressing through the game.

Also, it looks so amazing graphically. I'm guessing those are either PC or PS4 Pro screenshots?

If you don't like it. Dont look at them.

What the hell kind of garbage response is this? He has a valid point.

I already hate Liam for taking up a spot on my squad that could have been filled so much better by a sick alien badass and/or waifu. They couldn't even come up with a cool future name for him, just 'Liam'. What a jabroni. Hopefully he makes his heroic sacrifice early so I don't have to put up with him for too long.

Setting aside for a moment the question of whether or not the icons are an insult to the player's intelligence, what's up with the categories?

-Head
-Heart
-Professional
-Casual
-Neutral (presumably)

Don't really make sense as an all-encompassing set. They're not exclusionary (why can't something be professional AND head?), and there's the real possibility of overlap (heart jokingly laughing something off vs. heart belligerently chewing someone out).
Actually what kind of response is "head" to begin with? Does it mean that you get to headbutt people if you don't agree with them?

Speely

Banned
Also, it looks so amazing graphically. I'm guessing those are either PC or PS4 Pro screenshots?8

Probably semi-bullshot screenies from a PC build. Not that the game is likely to look very different in the release version, but early screens like this often enjoy some assets and IQ that do not make it into something that has to actually be played.

That said, ME games have always been very pretty.

Actually what kind of response is "head" to begin with? Does it mean that you get to headbutt people if you don't agree with them?

No, I think that's under the new interrupt system. If there's not a "headbutt" interrupt available during literally every conversation with a Krogan, Bioware will have failed us utterly.

I assume it means logical vs. heart's emotional.

Rad-

-Powers are instead hotkeyed for quick use, no longer pausing to bring up a wheel and aim (you can still pause the combat but it's not how BioWare intends combat to function)

This doesn't sound good. I hope that last part means that a wheel still exists. Pausing and thinking tactically is what made ME combat more fun to me compared to Gears's and Uncharted's and so on. It's also what set it apart from other TPSs.

-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics
-Goal is to allow players to try different approaches to combat without being locked in at the start
-However, you can still specialize once you invest enough points into a category of skills, you unlock a profile that can get you bonuses for your particular play style
-This is where class names like "Vanguard" (invest in combat and biotics) and "Adept" (invest in biotics) resurface

Also sort of same with this. Not that I dislike that kind of open system but this just sounds like it's hugely dumbed down (and the class system was already pretty dumbed down). I hope there's enough depth there so every character won't be near the same eventually a la FFXII.

No, I think that's under the new interrupt system. If there's not a "headbutt" interrupt available during literally every conversation with a Krogan, Bioware will have failed us utterly.

I assume it means logical vs. heart's emotional.
"You are not in any position to order me around little huma-"
*BAM*
*BAM*
*BAM*
"What.... are you doing?!"
*BAM*
"Goddamit! Ugh, my forehead... I won't back down! Take this!"
*BAM*
"Dude, stop it. I'll do what you want. This is embarrassing."

It's hard not to get excited, but I've tried to play through the first Mass Effect two times and haven't been able to get into it. I don't know why either -- I normally really like this type of game.

I bought the 2nd one as well, but not the 3rd. I haven't played either of them.

A-V-B

-Head
-Heart
-Professional
-Casual
-Neutral (presumably)

I'm guessing professional is neutral here.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
More on the Andromeda Initiative:
"Founded in 2176 and launched in 2185, the Andromeda Initiative is a civilian, multi-species project created to send scientists, explorers and colonists on a one-way trip to settle in the Andromeda Galaxy. With powerful benefactors lending their support, the program has grown substantially in scope since its inception. The Initiative’s ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence on the seemingly resource-rich frontier of Andromeda, and eventually create a reliable route between it and the Milky Way Galaxy."

I just wanted to point out that 2185 was in the period Shepard was revived by Cerberus. The line "With powerful benefactors lending their support" makes me wonder if IM secretly had a hand supporting the Andromeda Initiative as a plan B in case the Reapers won.

A-V-B

I just wanted to point out that 2185 was in the period Shepard was dead and trying to be revived by Cerberus. The line "With powerful benefactors lending their support" makes me wonder if IM secretly had a hand supporting the Andromeda Initiative as a plan B in case the Reapers won.

No doubt. Bet those non-human arks are sabotaged as fuck, then. Or at least subtly enough to give humans a headstart on colonization.

Schlorgan

I just wanted to point out that 2185 was in the period Shepard was dead and trying to be revived by Cerberus. The line "With powerful benefactors lending their support" makes me wonder if IM secretly had a hand supporting the Andromeda Initiative as a plan B in case the Reapers won.

It was
Weyland-Yutani
. This is actually a prequel to
Alien.

xealo

I think it's meant to mean being the kind of response that focus on logic and reason at the cost of feelings, with heart being the opposite to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom