• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Game Informer reader Q&A with Mac Walters

Yazzees

I was hoping to hear them more or less disavow Inquisition's gameplay. Instead I'm hearing "we're sticking to that general direction but we'll try to do it better this time".

I'm...not feeling confident.

People need to get over holding this grudge over Mac's head for the shitty ME3 ending.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ME2 being more or less being a side story to the actual reaper invasion plot put ME3 in a strange position to begin with; they had so many things to tie up in one game. And they lost lead writer Drew Karpyshyn between games. ME3's dev time was crazy short for being the grand ending to the trilogy. It was originally going to be less than 2 years between ME2 and ME3 before the delay to March 2012. I assume it was EA pressing the issue but Bioware was in a tough spot to get the game out and it showed in the rushed ending. And I distinctly remember many of community thinking highly of Mac before ME3's release because he had done good work on ME1 and ME2.

I understand being weary. I understand not wanting to get burned again. I understand a "wait and see" attitude. But Andromeda is a new beginning with almost none of the (bad) baggage from the old trilogy. Andromeda has been given the chance to breathe and unlike ME3, it's been in the oven for a long time. Holding on to that bitterness at this point makes very little sense to me. If you're not willing to go into this fresh experience with new eyes, I'm not sure why you're even looking forward to a new entire to begin with.

Feel free to rub this post in my nose if Andromeda is awful. I have a strong suspicion it will be really damn good.

As someone who has been playing The Wittcher games for years and years its a beautiful site to see how how much Witcher 3 has and is influencing current RPG's

So proud of CDProjekt Red. Also cant't wait for MEA!!!!!

No one claiming it sounds like DA:I so far...
You must have missed the gaf thread when some journo that got to see an hour of it compared a part of it to DAI.
I was hoping to hear them more or less disavow Inquisition's gameplay. Instead I'm hearing "we're sticking to that general direction but we'll try to do it better this time".

The actual gameplay was great imo the limited amount of context and exposition you're give was the issue. Combat was very enjoyable and looked pretty rad.
This is pretty bad. From my experience day and night cycles is pretty damn important in making the worlds feel alive. But we'l see...
I for one want variety more. Day night would be preferable but I first want to explore everything from dales to deserts and glaciers.

Trace

Banned

It's definitely more "open world" than Mass Effect has been before, but god no it's not like Inquisition.

emalord

Many things sound right and good, the only complaint I have so far is chara-design.

I just can't stand it, it's neither realistic nor comic-book-like. It's a step back from Uncharted4, Battlefield1 and others seen last year

If it is an artistic choice, I don't get it

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Many things sound right and good the only complaint I have is chara-design so far

I just can't stand it, it's neither realistic nor comic-book-like. It's a step back from Uncharted4, Battlefield1 and others seen last year

If it is an artistic choice, I don't get it

Frostbite my shit up dawg.

You must have missed the gaf thread when some journo that got to see an hour of it compared a part of it to DAI.

You were in that thread. You surely must have at least seen the interview in question, or the few people who corrected the people who drew that comparison out of its context?

That comparison was drawn from the fact that compared to previous Mass Effect entries, the design of the game is much more "open" now, in that there are large open-world planets to be explored. In that respect, they could as well have compared it to any other open-world game.

wildbite

Aw I have to admit no day and night cycles on planets bums me out a bit. The zones in Inquisition felt static and I expected the next game to be more immersive.

You were in that thread. You surely must have at least seen the interview in question, or the few people who corrected the people who drew that comparison out of its context?

That comparison was drawn from the fact that compared to previous Mass Effect entries, the design of the game is much more "open" now, in that there are large open-world planets to be explored. In that respect, they could as well have compared it to any other open-world game.

I was mostly defending DAI in that thread because I genuinely love the game when ignoring a huge chunk of it that's pointless, boring and uninspired..
I meant to say that I understand the sentiment expressed in this Q&A considering the reactions any mention of DAI solicits from many people.

BreakAtmo

If hes also responsible for everything before the ending than my hopes are high.

Well, he was head writer, but in truth the great writing really came from the team, with each writer being assigned to certain characters, giving them their voice. The whole team of about 8 came back for the Citadel DLC, and you saw what happened there. So It seems Walters can head up a good writing team, so let's just hope he's not left to his own devices.

Top Bottom