• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Phamit

When do you unlock the profiles? Or is that the thing you select at the start?

Profiles are unlocked when you learn Skills (I think the first one is unlocked depending on you choice during character creation, but I'm not sure). If you learn Biotic skills, then you unlock the Adept profile. But you need a certain story progression

why does it have a different release in the EU?
Arcane retailer tradition I guess. Games often come out end of the week in UK and EU, though often Fridays not Thursdays. And Tuesdays seem to be the traditional day of release in the US. Seems daft and not all games do it. If I remember correctly Fallout 4 was released worldwide on the same day for example.
However if you have a PC you can VPN the game and play earlier. Just don't buy the game via a VPN.

Jaraghan

Profiles are unlocked when you learn Skills (I think the first one is unlocked depending on you choice during character creation, but I'm not sure). If you learn Biotic skills, then you unlock the Adept profile.
So the more skills I invest in one of the 3 trees, that will give me my profile? I suppose Vanguard is Biotic + Combat so I might go for that.

Catdaddy

Went in not expecting a lot, but after the 10 hour EA trial, I'm sold, can't wait to pick it back up Tuesday. I'm not a huge ME fan, but did enjoy the other ones. This is my first ME I'm buying at release.

And nice OT!

JoeBoy101

and explorers can dodge through obstacles even.

What he said. The explorer profile's blink acts just like jump and dash, with one significant difference, it goes through terrain and obstacles.

TenaciousD said:
I thought that all the original Habitat planets are still explorable, but vastly different to the original scans, eg Habitat 1 is Eos, Habitat 2 is Eladin, and Habitat 6 is Voohel (sp?), ect

Oh they are.

Its just 600 years has not been kind to then.

Its up in the air right now how many you can explore, but Eros, the first landing site on Habitat 1, is quite massive.

Phamit

So the more skills I invest in one of the 3 trees, that will give me my profile? I suppose Vanguard is Biotic + Combat so I might go for that.

Yup. I don't know if it's called vanguard in Andromeda, but you would get the equivalent if you invest in Biotic and Combat.

Without going into detailed spoilers, could anyone who has played the trial or beyond tell me how well does ME:A convey a sense of history?

ME1 was excellent in presenting a galaxy with a culture, history and politics that existed independent of both the player, and humanity in general. In doing so, it made the galaxy feel lived in and old, which created a sense of wonder when exploring the game's world.

Does ME:A capture a similar feeling? I've heard that ME:A has a sense of discovery like ME1, but I personally see discovery as distinct from history.

For example, Xenoblade X was amazing at encouraging a sense of discovery; exploring the planet Mira was a reward into itself. But at no point did Mira feel like it existed independent of the player; with a history of it's own. Everything in that planet felt like it was there to be experienced by the player, rather than being the end result of events that occurred before humanity arrived on Mira. Admittedly that was part of the narrative of that game, but I felt it was still a good example to try convey what I'm saying.

TheRed

Can't wait to play this. Sadly I'll only have a couple hours to play before work after VPN unlock if that goes smoothly.

Anno

Happy with what I've played of the trial, though I think a lot of criticisms about the character models and animation should be looked at closely for a future game as they definitely do detract from the overall experience. Luckily the voice acting is pretty consistently good and the combat gameplay is a lot of fun. They have a good base to work off of judging by the trial period and a decent number of people seem to think it only gets better from there.

Without going into detailed spoilers, could anyone who has played the trial or beyond tell me how well does ME:A convey a sense of history?

ME1 was excellent in presenting a galaxy with a culture, history and politics that existed independent of both the player, and humanity in general. In doing so, it made the galaxy feel lived in and old, which created a sense of wonder when exploring the game's world.

Does ME:A capture a similar feeling? I've heard that ME:A has a sense of discovery like ME1, but I personally see discovery as distinct from history.

For example, Xenoblade X was amazing at encouraging a sense of discovery; exploring the planet Mira was a reward into itself. But at no point did Mira feel like it existed independent of the player; with a history of it's own. Everything in that planet felt like it was there to be experienced by the player, rather than being the end result of events that occurred before humanity arrived on Mira. Admittedly that was part of the narrative of that game, but I felt it was still a good example to try convey what I'm saying.

If you're curious, Austin covers this exact comparison in waypoint radio from Friday. Literally, the exact question you're asking.

E: and he doesn't cover anything past what's in the trial, so no real spoilers.

JoeBoy101

Well, one of the major aspects of the plot early is the Remnant. The name is literal, referring to ruins and 'other' things on the planets of some advanced alien civilization. And no, it didn't feel like re-heated Prothean ruins to me.

But what's impressive is that the galaxy already has a history, you're plopping down into the middle of it. And the races/entities/horrors have not been waiting for you. They're doing their own thing, you're the intruder here. So from an aspect of history, half the fun is not knowing what it is. I do hope that Bioware uses that to their advantage for decent head fakes (One can dream).

That all said, READ THE CODEXES. I can't stress this enough to people as there is not enough in-game exposition early on, and the codexes (information entries in your menu) provide useful backstory, background, and general information.

Leave the Hinterlands, and read the Codexes. Its generally interesting reading too. (And Yes, I do have a gripe that more of that information isn't expounded on in-game).

I mean, probably. However you have to consider that this game takes place within a singular star cluster and not an entire galaxy of eatablished lore. There's history of the Kett, the angara, and the mysterious remnant but beyond that it's uncharted territory for every race.

Well my hype has been deflated quite a bit by the coverage, but hey it's more Mass Effect, so I'm still in and want to judge it with my own opinion.

JoeBoy101

Any guesses on what kind of reviews we can be expecting? I think most of them will be around 8 to 8.5.

From the 10 hours I played, this feels on spot, but I've read the pre-reviewer chatter that the game gets better on, and that the intro is the roughest part of the game. If so, I would be not totally surprised to see it get close to 9's.

Anybody giving it higher than that though would be insane given some of the missed polish on it.

I really hope the game surprises us all by the end but I have a feeling this might be a dragon age 2 situation. Good news is even if this game wasn't good it takes place so far away from the rest of the series it could be viewed as a bad spin-off years later.

Astral

It's probably a little soon but has anyone in GAF beaten it yet? I need to know if the credits song is by The Faunts.

JoeBoy101

I really hope the game surprises us all by the end but I have a feeling this might be a dragon age 2 situation. Good news is even if this game wasn't good it takes place so far away from the rest of the series it could be viewed as a bad spin-off years later.

Nah.

Whether or not it lives up to ME moniker and expectations, I can tell you right now, its way more fun and interesting that DA2.

And I'm one of the silly assholes who think that game had some substantial merit... buried under all the shit. But hey, 8 month dev cycles are brutal.

Top Bottom