• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Finally finished this last night, and thank god I'm done with it.

Put only around 35 hours into this game and that was more than enough. There's definitely less magic in this game. The story was pretty bad, there weren't many big set pieces, and the ending... boy the ending. Honestly think it puts Mass Effect 3 to shame.

The whole thing just felt soulless. The wide open worlds with not much to do in them, the crafting system felt barebones and unnecessary, the characters were bland. The whole game was a slog, and I loved the first three. Disappointing.

br3wnor

Finally finished this last night, and thank god I'm done with it.

Put only around 35 hours into this game and that was more than enough. There's definitely less magic in this game. The story was pretty bad, there weren't many big set pieces, and the ending... boy the ending. Honestly think it puts Mass Effect 3 to shame.

The whole thing just felt soulless. The wide open worlds with not much to do in them, the crafting system felt barebones and unnecessary, the characters were bland. The whole game was a slog, and I loved the first three. Disappointing.

Beat the game a few weeks ago but didn’t post my thoughts. I had the same “thank god this over” feeling and it definitely was a slog, but overall I enjoyed it a bit more than you.

The first 10 hours of the game I was LOCKED IN. I thought oh man this is so great to be in a Mass Effect game again, the world is pretty, the combat is great and the exploration is fun. Did the first couple of planets, doing side quests to get them to the viability % I needed, felt like I was accomplishing things. Had some cool boss fights, really loved the inside of a revenant base. Story was whatever but intrigued me, liked the general idea of what we were doing.

But then I started working on my third planet, and after unlocking the quests and starting to do them it hit me that each planet is generally the same outside of the core quest line. I got the DA:I feeling of “Oh, these side quests are just bringing my % up, they don’t have much depth, I’m going to be doing the same basic shit for every one of these planets if I want to get them all to viability”. Once that happened, my enjoyment of the game really dropped and I decided I was going to ignore all the side stuff and just push towards the end as quickly as possible. Took me another 20 hours and during that time I did have fun. Loved pretty much every major gun fight I got in, had fun w/ some of the bigger bosses, story was enough to keep me engaged but definitely lacked the breadth of ME 1-3. I was also so OP for the last half of the game as a Soldier once I got a 900+ damage shotgun and a 600ish damage sniper rifle that I had no desire to do any of the side characters quests to unlock their final powers. I also didn’t give a shit about most of them so that was a factor, but the game got pretty easy once I got the uber shotgun, made me have little interest in exploring the modding and weapon development.

The final few hours were great IMO and thought it was cool how some of my decisions tied into how the end sequences went down. I actually enjoyed the ending for what it was, w/ a bit of sadness that this is probably the last ME game I’ll be playing for a while. Overall I’d give the game a solid B-, a lot of flaws but had a lot of potential. Didn’t change my ME rankings (2-3-1-A) but I felt if the team was given enough time the sequel to this could have been really great.

prag16

Banned
and the ending... boy the ending. Honestly think it puts Mass Effect 3 to shame.

wat

How so? ME3 ending is all time bad. (Even though I love the game overall.)

ME:A ending while not exactly anything especially great, seemed pretty much fine by comparison, if a little anticlimactic (likely in part because they originally had hoped to expand things with DLC and sequels down the road).

Ralemont

not me
I didn't get that part, either. The ending is the stand-out part of the main story.

Been away for a bit but did some loyalty quests last night after some trophy mopping up. Drack and PB and then I'm ready to finish the main story. This second playthrough of skipping all sidequests on the planets still feels much better than my completionist first playthrough. Amusingly, it's also clocking about what each of the first 3 games did for me (at 26 hours, will likely be ~30 by the end).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If i ever do a 3rd playthrough, I might even skip the Heleus Assignments tab and stick to the main quests and whatever is on the other tab(forgot its name). On my 2nd, I ignored the Additional tasks, but without them, the game felt too long for me.

nel e nel

I didn't get that part, either. The ending is the stand-out part of the main story.

Been away for a bit but did some loyalty quests last night after some trophy mopping up. Drack and PB and then I'm ready to finish the main story. This second playthrough of skipping all sidequests on the planets still feels much better than my completionist first playthrough. Amusingly, it's also clocking about what each of the first 3 games did for me (at 26 hours, will likely be ~30 by the end).

Ending was fairly meh for me. It felt like a typical boss battle where you had to disable 3 vulnerable spots and then hit X to win. Basically a rinse-and-repeat 3 stager.

I'm also in the camp that the combat was pretty boring to me because of the lack of squad controls. Mass Effect differentiated itself to me because of how you could position and order your squad during combat. ME:A felt like another 3rd person shooter, and I didn't even care about who I chose for my party outside of banter in the Nomad.

wat

How so? ME3 ending is all time bad. (Even though I love the game overall.)

ME:A ending while not exactly anything especially great, seemed pretty much fine by comparison, if a little anticlimactic (likely in part because they originally had hoped to expand things with DLC and sequels down the road).

Ok, so maybe I may have overemphasized that a bit. I think most of my dissatisfaction comes from my dislike of the Archon as a villain. He felt absent for most of the game - he wasn't really a threat for like 98% of the missions/activities I did.

The parallels with Destiny were kind of crazy -- the Scourge and Meridian seem like they were ripped directly from that game. Made it feel recycled.

The stakes weren't very high at the end. I just didn't really care about any of the characters or planets.

Ralemont

not me
Ending was fairly meh for me. It felt like a typical boss battle where you had to disable 3 vulnerable spots and then hit X to win. Basically a rinse-and-repeat 3 stager.

Well I don't think it's the fight that I and others like, it's that it felt like what Priority Earth should have felt like, with characters from the game coming to pitch in, depending on who you helped. I also liked what they did with the sibling and SAM.

I'm also in the camp that the combat was pretty boring to me because of the lack of squad controls. Mass Effect differentiated itself to me because of how you could position and order your squad during combat. ME:A felt like another 3rd person shooter, and I didn't even care about who I chose for my party outside of banter in the Nomad.

While I missed being able to hotkey a power for each, characters are actually pretty smart using their primers/detonators if you command them to Attack a target. Like if I light an enemy on fire with Incinerate and tell Cora to attack that enemy, she'll detonate them with Charge. It's way clunkier, but in practice it's not as disastrous as it sounded pre-release.

zeitgeist

I recently finished this as well and while I think I enjoyed it overall, I was glad for it to end so I could move on.

Main problems for me were the supporting team members, repetitive driving and fetching and someone mentioned soulless which sums it up nicely.

I love the idea of the story, it's a perfect way to do a standalone trilogy (or would have been). I loved that you are settling a new land and in general the whole premise but it didn't pay off.

I actually liked the ending though. I'm a sucker for
when everyone shows up at the end to help out.

mbpm1

Yeah the ending was done well. From that Kotaku interview apparently it was one of the things planned out in advance and not rushed so it makes sense

yunbuns

So something finally interesting has happened in this game. Spoilers about Ryder Family Secrets:
I thought collecting memories of Ryder's dad was stupid and pointless but now that I'm founding out that the founder of the initiative was murder this is becoming a lot more interesting. I hope this side-quest delivers.

So something finally interesting has happened in this game. Spoilers about Ryder Family Secrets:
I thought collecting memories of Ryder's dad was stupid and pointless but now that I'm founding out that the founder of the initiative was murder this is becoming a lot more interesting. I hope this side-quest delivers.

Enjoy the ride but don't get too invested in the mysteries. Most answers are withheld to plant seeds for future content but the whole franchise is currently lost at sea.

prag16

Banned
Enjoy the ride but don't get too invested in the mysteries. Most answers are withheld to plant seeds for future content but the whole franchise is currently lost at sea.
Yep, that was one of the threads that was clearly being held back for DLC/sequel.

The only shot at having it addressed now is in other media. They're surprisingly still going ahead with a Cora prequel novel this fall, and they also indicated they would address the
Quarian Ark
mystery somewhere somehow. Whether that'll be another novel or something else is anybody's guess. But it means there's at least hope for some closure for those who still give a shit (I do).

It seems I've missed a Remnant data core. But I have no idea which one. Oh boy.
I know one of them can only be gotten on the race back after activating a vault, but it's in a place off the direct path and once you escape the vault's killing field, you can't go back there.

Ambitious

I know one of them can only be gotten on the race back after activating a vault, but it's in a place off the direct path and once you escape the vault's killing field, you can't go back there.

There are actually more in the game than are required for that quest.

I've already checked the list:
1. Eos: Vault
2. Eos: Architect
3. Voeld: Task: Subjugation
4. Voeld: Vault
5. Voeld: Architect
6. Kadara: Vault
7. Kadara Architect
8. Elaaden: Vault
9. Elaaden: Unmarked Vault
10. Elaaden: Architect
11. Meridian

I've completed the vault on Elaaden, but I have not yet killed the Architect or visited Meridian. So, at this point I should already have nine cores, yet I only have six.

Facts:
- I'm not sure whether I found all Vault cores. However, I know I got the one on Elaaden.
- Except for the Architect on Elaaden, I killed all of them. I cannot imagine not having picked up the cores they drop.
- I picked up the one in Elaaden's unmarked vault.
- I finished the Subjugation mission, but I can't remember getting the core.

So, in conclusion: The three missing cores must be in the Vaults on Eos, Voeld, or Kadara, or in the Subjugation mission area. I'll make sure to grab the one one Meridian, and I can't miss the one from Elaaden's Architect, so I only need to find one of the three to finish the mission. Whew.

Yeah the ending was done well. From that Kotaku interview apparently it was one of the things planned out in advance and not rushed so it makes sense

One of their lessons learned seems to be that players want to spend a little interactive time in the world after the finale. Inquisition has the throne room scene and Andromeda the
Meridian
party.

I'm not entirely sold on this concept though... it deflates the build-up when you have to amble around static NPCs and get exposition dumps. Dunno, I really liked the big punchy, operatic ending scenes of Mass Effect 1 and 2 - Shepard beats the odds and flies off into the void to glorious music, boom, roll credits.

It's one of the many small things that Horzion Zero Dawn does absolutely right.

Ralemont

not me
One of their lessons learned seems to be that players want to spend a little interactive time in the world after the finale. Inquisition has the throne room scene and Andromeda the
Meridian
party.

I'm not entirely sold on this concept though... it deflates the build-up when you have to amble around static NPCs and get exposition dumps. Dunno, I really liked the big punchy, operatic ending scenes of Mass Effect 1 and 2 - Shepard beats the odds and flies off into the void to glorious music, boom, roll credits.

It's one of the many small things that Horzion Zero Dawn does absolutely right.

Can't blame them after all the ME3 complaints about CLOSURE

Zojirushi

Ok so somewhat inconsistent performance on PC aside I'm kinda digging this game so far (seven hours in)

Did some stuff on Eos and that underground section looked pretty cool.

Facial animations are fine so far but maybe that's because my Ryder looks less goofy than default Ryder. Really not a dealbreaker or anything. I mean let's not pretend these things have ever been that great in Bioware games.

Combat is a step up from previous ME games too, guns feel good and I appreciate the mobility. Also from th looks of it you have quite a few options in developing your character.

What's weird is that apparently they kept the thing from previous Mass Effect games where you go into a new solar system and there's just absolutley nothing on the majority of these planets, nothing to scan, can't land, nada. I mean what's the point?

emag

41 hours and done (87% completion, 100% viability, etc.).

I dunno. There were times where I felt that Andromeda was a competent sequel, and others where I was bored out of my mind by the delivery/fetch quests and all the painful travel (even with patches and PC mods).

Had Andromeda been released in 2014 (or even 2015), I think it would have been commercially successful, even if I would have had the same complaints. The game hews closer to ME1 than to ME2, but lacks the wonder of 1 entirely, despite being set in a new galaxy. And without that crutch to fall back on, the characters are flat (Cora is the least likable Bioware party member of all time, apart from Cole: "I'm an Asari Huntress in a human body! Please approve of me, Sarissa-sama!") and the worlds uninteresting. It's almost unforgivable that intriguing plot threads were left dangling, but I'm better off without a sequel, all things considered.

prag16

Banned
Cora may be a weablue, but holy fuck is her shit more tolerable than Liam's bad decision making and bizarre hostility towards everyone who isn't Ryder or Jaal.

Yeah. Liam is in Jacob (and Carth Onasi) territory in terms of Bioware squadmates. Cora can be annoying/lame, but not on that level.

yunbuns

Well I beat it. Finished it yesterday and it's not a game that I ever need or want to play again. It's not a bad game but it's just kind of...average and bland especially compared to the original trilogy. A lot of the more interesting bits of the game where either left unanswered for a sequel I'm not going to get or came towards the end of the game where there isn't much time to expand on it more (
like the builders creating fucking life just feels really brushed over besides the one conversation with Jaal.
).

Also lol @
them forcing in that Liara was aware of the Initiative which is just...ugh.

emag

Hey guys, can I get a progress check (main story missions alone): just finished
Kadara

Got a fair bit to go. Maybe 3/4 of the way to the end? I don't remember how much of the next major planet's quests are mandatory, and the Arks might as well be main missions even if they're not.

jfoul

I'm thinking about getting the PC version, since it's only $15.89 at amazon right now. I know people love to shit on this game, but I loved ME 1-3, and even enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition with all of it's warts. My gaming problem these days is how I use my time. Is this game worth playing through?

magimix

I'm thinking about getting the PC version, since it's only $15.89 at amazon right now. I know people love to shit on this game, but I loved ME 1-3, and even enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition with all of it's warts. My gaming problem these days is how I use my time. Is this game worth playing through?

Eeeeeeeh. Cumulatively I've over 1,000 hours with ME1 through ME3, and I played hundreds of hours of DA:I. But I was never able to bring myself to see ME:A through to the end. They pumped out a ton of updates for the game, but the big problems are deeply rooted, and not something they could patch around. It borrows a lot of stuff from DA:I, but everything so borrowed is more poorly implemented/used.

I'd suggest watching some footage of others playing the game. In terms of its moment-to-moment play, it is quite different from other ME games (the big stickler for me being the loss of 'strategic pause', and direct squad orders) - but it of course isn't for me to say whether or not those differences will appeal to you or not.

Paganmoon

Loved ME 1-3 (didn't quite enjoy 3's ending though), have liked all the Dragon Age games. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend Andromeda. I've spent roughly 50 hours on it so far, mostly because I really liked the ME trilogy, and figured I'd just push through, thinking "It's still Mass Effect", but no, this game isn't Mass Effect. I really think it would've been better off just being called Andromeda, with no links to the trilogy. The story really isn't good, the side stories aren't very good either, it has one or two references to the Mass Effect (trilogies) universe, but doesn't follow much else established there. I really haven't "clicked" with the crew. I mean, there really isn't many redeeming qualities with the game. It has some beautiful vistas at times as you're exploring though, I'll give it that much.

I got it at 200SEK (around $25) and I feel I overpaid for the quality (both technical and story wise).

magimix

Loved ME 1-3 (didn't quite enjoy 3's ending though), have liked all the Dragon Age games. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend Andromeda. I've spent roughly 50 hours on it so far, mostly because I really liked the ME trilogy, and figured I'd just push through, thinking "It's still Mass Effect", but no, this game isn't Mass Effect. I really think it would've been better off just being called Andromeda, with no links to the trilogy. The story really isn't good, the side stories aren't very good either, it has one or two references to the Mass Effect (trilogies) universe, but doesn't follow much else established there. I really haven't "clicked" with the crew. I mean, there really isn't many redeeming qualities with the game. It has some beautiful vistas at times as you're exploring though, I'll give it that much.

I got it at 200SEK (around $25) and I feel I overpaid for the quality (both technical and story wise).

I've spent around 100 hours with ME:A. I *really* tried to find a nice balance with the game. The real disappointment for me isn't that I ultimately wound up not liking it - not every game in a beloved (to me) franchise is a winner. Just the way it goes. But truly, the game *could* have been great. Hell, there is enough intruiging stuff in there - conceits, themes, notions, etc., that a number of excellent games could have been made. They just weren't able to realise any of them.

I think it's worth that just to get to know the characters. Gameplay was pretty good, story is serviceable and apparently they've patched the heck out of it.

prag16

Banned
To help balance out the negative feedback you're getting...

Andromeda is my current GoTY. But the key is don't play it as a 60-100 hour game.

Ignore "Additional Tasks" entirely. Don't bother with Heleus Assignments on a planet after you have it to 100% and / or finish the main story for that planet. Do all the loyalty missions. And most of the rest of the "Allies and Relationships" category is at least serviceable.

Play it is way and it holds up to the trilogy by most meaningful measures, even if it doesn't really fulfill its potential.

Bottom line, as a 30-40 hour game it's a 9 imo. As an 80 to 100 hour game it's a muddled 7.

Deadstar

Just bought the game but I'm getting a direct x error when I launch the game on Origin. Is this a known issue? Should I refund the game at this point?

Just bought the game but I'm getting a direct x error when I launch the game on Origin. Is this a known issue? Should I refund the game at this point?
Do you happen to have dual monitors?

If so, try disabling one before starting the game... I've heard it works for some people with the issue.

I was worried after all the bad press (especially here), but after completing Andromeda this weekend, I’m happy to announce that Mass Effect remains my favorite series of all time!

Yes, even after all the patches, there were still some glaring glitches and bugs (especially in late game), but overall they did not detract from the experience. I love the ME universe! The Loyalty Missions were all awesome and my favorite parts of the game, the entire crew was likable, the plot and story were great (I don’t care what anyone says, this was the perfect way to carry on ME after ME3’s triple ending) and the final battle was what I’ve ALWAYS wanted from an ME game.
Every ally you’ve acquired throughout your playthru plays a part in the finale, and at one point I looked around and saw allies fighting alongside me and thought, “why are they here, but the rest of my crew is just sitting on the ship twiddling their thumbs” and suddenly, I looked around and there they all were, blasting fools. Seeing my entire crew fighting the final fight was one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in a long time. They were spouting one-liners and calling out action and it was so satisfying.

And this just adds to my devastation that this will never receive single-player DLC (where’s the Quarian Ark) or probably ever a sequel.
I want to see my outposts 5 years from now and what the planets look like with the Remnant vaults working. I want to know who the Benefactor is. I want to know more about the aliens who built the Remnant. I want to see what the Kett do next.
And most importantly, I want the Quarian Ark to show up, bringing the rest of the alien races we were promised early on in the game.

My only gripes are:

• Bad facial animations, even after numerous patches.
  • Glitched trophies (if you are not connected to the EA servers when they pop, you don’t get them and I didn’t realize that until I looked at 2 trophies I should have gotten early in the game—grrr).
  • Story elements that just sort of popped up—like, did I miss a datapad that explained the aliens who created the Remnant? All of a sudden, I knew their race’s name, but I never learned that organically in the game.
  • Kadara features WAY too many missions and is a huge pain to traverse, going from the port, to the slums to the open world. Way too much loading there and was just cumbersome.
  • Removal of Renegade/Paragon choices.
  • No squad wheel, but then again, I didn’t really miss it after awhile.
  • Other bugs and glitches, like textures that never loaded, characters floating in the air, missing guns, bad conversation angles, etc…

Overall, this is a great game, but EA really needed to delay it to about August. Get the glitches ironed out and space it out from Horizon (still my GOTY) and Zelda and this wouldn’t have tanked so badly. Even though it still sold well (#7 YTD), the bad reviews and ridiculous GIFs made Bioware and EA cease all production on this title and just gave up on it—which is truly a shame.

I mean, Mass Effect has never been a glitch-free experience.

tumblr_mqzyn3qDKz1rmwdm8o1_500.gif

WHAT?!?!!?

Madness

No. And I spent over 100+ hours with Andromeda. The fact you will be required to ignore entire sections of the game or pay no attention to some parts tells you all you need to know. As a whole,the game is a 6.5 to 7 at best. If you play it like the devs wanted you to,it is a frustrating and backtracking and boring mess of a game that leaves tou unsatisfied especially with no further post launch support.

It isn't a question of $9.99 versus $99.99, it isn't a well made game. At times you almost have to force yourself to continue. Your problem is these days how you use your time. This game isn't one for those with limited time. It needs a lot of time and investment before it becomes okay enough to finish off and beat.

prag16

Banned
No. And I spent over 100+ hours with Andromeda. The fact you will be required to ignore entire sections of the game or pay no attention to some parts tells you all you need to know. As a whole,the game is a 6.5 to 7 at best. If you play it like the devs wanted you to,it is a frustrating and backtracking and boring mess of a game that leaves tou unsatisfied especially with no further post launch support.

It isn't a question of $9.99 versus $99.99, it isn't a well made game. At times you almost have to force yourself to continue. Your problem is these days how you use your time. This game isn't one for those with limited time. It needs a lot of time and investment before it becomes okay enough to finish off and beat.

You shouldn't have spent over 100 with the game if it was such a steaming pile. And as I said in my post above, that's the worst way to play the game. Is that an issue? Of course it is. It's obviously a bad thing that playing the game the way the devs intended leads to a subpar experience.

But when I'm trying to have fun I don't care about what they intended. Play it as a 30-40 hour game for a vastly better experience. The main story missions and the loyalty missions are largely good, and combat is good, and most of the characters are entertaining. Just don't get bogged down in the laborious MMO style nonsense. Again yes some of the design decisions are bad, but a lot of that can be sidestepped.

Is it an indictment on the game that this stuff needs to be sidestepped for the best experience? Yes. Does it render the game a total waste? No.

Patryn

If you're a Mass Effect fan, I'd say there's enough in there that it's worth playing. But you have to be prepared to do some selective editing, and just decide for yourself what content you find enjoyable and what you don't and skip stuff accordingly.

Mutombo

so I just started playing this after getting it second hand. It seems the cover mechanics are sort of... gone? Or are they wonky as hell?

Top Bottom