• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've yet to read any review that comes across as overly harsh or unfair. There seems to be a lot to enjoy in this game, but the question comes down to whether or not its problems drive you away before you reach it. I'm curious to see how the technical issues are resolved time goes, and whether or not Bioware releases any free-DLC to slake the fanbase.

(Example of an unfair review: The 2/10 review of Wildlands, where the reviewer admits that his mic doesn't work and then talks about how it isn't a fun co-op game)

Ralemont

not me
Your comment is bannable, by the way, I'd editi it. I won't report you, but still.

What are we discussing and debating if not what you said? It's still not ok to come in with logical fallacies, regardless of the world impacting or triviality of the discussion, and expect to be greeted with anything but an eye roll.

Part of the original discussion in that quote chain was about DAIs popularity, though. Ad populum happens when you try and counter a logical argument with one about popularity. No logical argument was attempted.

Jumeira

Banned
Wasn't the first mass effect also received poorly? A lot of people claim it's the best one.
No, not at all. The trilogy wouldn't be cherished for its story and scope if what you say was true. The first blew everyone away and set the foundation for it's universe. We were all hooked. Combat wasn't amazing but worked with the beat of the story. It was so well done back then. Seran, the Reapers, being a Spectre, the spectacular ending.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It probably means, like a lot of games shit on around here, that there's actually a pretty large fanbase that likes it, they just don't like engaging in the shit-throwing and negativity all the damned time.

That's usually the case in those types of situations. The haters are way more willing to expend energy shouting things down online than the people who enjoy them are willing to expend counteracting them.

The latter are people playing and enjoying games on a regular basis. The former seem to be the stereotypical misanthropes who spend many more hours on GAF bitching about games than they do playing them.

I enjoy discussing gaming things, but have no interest in debating opinions on individual games. I couldn't care less what some random forum goer thinks about a game I liked/disliked, so I'm not going to drone on and on, over and over, stating and defending my views of a game. Others, especially the haters, seem to have their main hobby of stating their opinion as frequently, loudly and abrasively as possible. Just the nature of internet culture unfortunately.

Audioboxer

It's about expectations, a 7 is good for some no-name eurojank game that gets to be "hidden gem" status, whereas the start of the next Mass Effect trilogy is expected to get at least a 9.

If the next Risen or Gothic get a 7, god-tier.

ME:A, not so much, not when it's many review outlets dishing it out.

Biggest tell for me was staff and project leads leaving before the game even came out. Sure, staff move on, but not even sticking around if you have faith in your product for the reviews, acclaim and feedback? Usually, studios won't let talent go either, you'll be signed up for a sequel, or at the very least to spearhead DLC.

Hence, I think most of those furthest up the chain jumped ship before EA come in and clean out the house. ME might make them money based on the name and sales alone, but I think the fact they've shat it out without even giving it 3 more months of Q&A polish shows how EA feel internally about this project. Still, some blame lies on them for their management decisions, but you know how publishers are, won't take the blame/fall, it's always on the devs.

Wulfram

That's a terrible excuse. Dragon Age: Inquisition was in Frostbite also, looked great. Mass Effect is a shooter.

Also, UE3... I mean, you don't get much more "shooter-engine" than that.

DAI made sure that the player didn't get a good look at most of the conversations by leaving the camera zoomed out.

I expect a decent chunk of the problems with the animations in this game owe to the negative reaction to that - Bioware decided they had to show up close views of a lot more conversations, and thus created a lot more work for animators.

Aaron D.

It is an odd trend. It's just a small, but very vocal, minority, but there's still so many people who always seem jaded, negative and cynical about gaming. Which is a hobby that we're presumably into as it brings us fun and happiness. Otherwise why bother?

I wonder if a lot of these folks are older AND disenchanted with the direction of mainstream gaming. I'm 38, so it's not just age as I love gaming more than ever. But current trends match my shifting tastes to easier games that are more about the world, characters, story etc. That's not all I like by any means, but more often than not I just want to veg out, relax and escape into a virtual experience.

My thoughts turned to age as I was thinking that I don't recall people being so cynical and jaded on movie forums back when I was more into that hobby and posting a ton. But then rememebered a few older people who were super negative about current movies and really only liked classics so I thought maybe it's something similar with gaming. But that doens't make as much sense as even if that were true the rise of indies gives those types more new "retro" type games to play than at any time in gaming history. Though they could still be jaded about not getting big budget games in the genres/styles they like I guess.

In any case, just odd to be so negative and cynical about a hobby. If it's not bringing you joy, maybe step back from it and be less engaged. Though I suppose the sad truth is many are just miserable people that enjoy bringing others down online and derive some sad joy for themselves out of that...

This is an interesting post.

I sometimes wonder if people who complain the loudest are simply in a gaming-rut and more bored than bitterly cynical.

I'm in my late 40's and have seen my personal tastes swing wildly over the past 4 decades. I've hopped from genre to genre, always thinking that "It can't get any better than this!", until something new catches my attention.

I distinctly remember thinking I'd never tire of JRPGs in the SNES/PSX era. Shooters around 2K (HL/NOLF/etc.). Sandbox titles in the 360/PS3 gen. And you know what? None of those genres interest me atm. Could change, but that's where I'm at now.

So it's easy for me to see how someone married to a genre or style could get disillusioned fast as their faves go in and out of fashion. It's a shame 'cause there's so much gaming goodness out there if you're willing to try something new.

In the past I would have completely laughed at genres I consider golden today. But here we are. No idea what I'll be into in 10 years, but in over 40 years of gaming I've yet to be bored, cynical or jaded.

This would've been my first ME. But I jumped ship and rerouted the funds to kingdom hearts and MARIO kart 8 deluxe. The idea that it's not even close to the greatness of the first trilogy makes me feel like "why invest?"

Whew, glad to see a at least one critically acclaimed dev is capable of getting flack from reviewers when they try to pull a fast one on us. Wish the same would happen to Bethesda.

Lister

Banned
Part of the original discussion in that quote chain was about DAIs popularity, though. Ad populum happens when you try and counter a logical argument with one about popularity. No logical argument was attempted.

I don't think that was the main thrust of the post he was replying to, but I might have interpreted it wrong.

GlamFM

Banned
Oddly enough, while watching Jeff and Brad play (and shit on) this game for a hour I can´t help it - I´m getting hyped.

I´ll be commanding this ship soon and I´ll be flying through the galaxy to shoot up some aliens.

The setting alone will be enough for me to role-play the shit out of this.

And I´ll probably enjoy it while being disappointed that it is not better.

Zojirushi

It's more a time commitment thing. I'm not going to spend 70 hours playing a 7 when I have 4 other critically acclaimed games that are ~9 or better that I can spend my time with.

Or, you know, spend time with the games you personally like the most.

I watched a video review from an Aussie guy who got the game last week.

He says you're basically forced to grind the repetitive side quests and open world bloat for skill points;
if you don't then you're not going to be able to invest in all the various profiles and be limited in your combat choices.

Crafting is tied to mining and scanning and makes it excruciatingly painful and boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiNjKnnhNI

Doran902

The point is, it doesn't matter which perspective the game is, the engine isn't at fault.

Especially considering most animations aren't even made in the game engine they are made in programs like Maya, 3DS Max or Blender with some custom tools added onto those programs.

Lister

Banned
Oddly enough, while watching Jeff and Brad play and shit on this game for a hour I can´t help it - I´m getting hyped.

I´ll be commanding this ship soon and I´ll be flying through the galaxy to shoot up some aliens.

The setting alone will be enough for me to role-play the shit out of this.

And I´ll probably enjoy it while being disappointed that it is not better.

But there's not role-playing. They removed that part. There's no narrative agency, except when it comes to silly sex scenes, it's apparenlty the only place your choices matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom