• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda "Tempest & Nomad" briefing shows ship interior and Nomad stuff

Big Nikus

Huh. That's interesting to me. The Hammerhead felt super smooth and simple to control to me.

The Hammerhead was fine but I also find the Mako more satisfiyng to control. Idk, there's not a lot of feedback with the way the Hammerhead moves. I wish it had been used more though, and in better missions.

That makes me think, they're really dropping the naming scheme of the trilogy for the vehicles. Tempest is not the name of a battle, and Nomad is not the name of an animal. That must be because we're not with the military anymore, but I liked the fact that there were rules to name these things.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hammerhead controlled really well, but the enclosed environments made it a step down to the Mako, which I was an ace at piloting by the way. So while it handled well, fast and zippy, it just wasn't as exciting because you never had much room to roam. Even in Overlord.

But the Nomad. Ohh boy. Looks like we are going to really tear ass in that thing.

Verilligo

At least turning left on the Hammerhead actually makes it go left(and you could fly to avoid any obstacles).

With the Mako, you never know unless it's a perfectly flat ground. I doubt you enjoyed going in every directions when trying to climb a mountain filled with bumps and pits.

I won't lie, on repeat playthroughs there are several planets I dread with the Mako. My solution to pathfinding woes was mostly just examining the topography and slope and then charging head-on into it. The Mako WILL make at least slow forward progress on a lot of nearly vertical slopes. Then it's just a matter of reaching close to the peak of a mountain range and then angling yourself enough that you stop going upwards and start sliding yourself in the direction you actually want to go while keeping your altitude. Works pretty well, at least enough to get you where you need to go when there's no alternative path. There was also a certain element of bouncing all over the place that I did like purely on the basis that it was humorously stupid and janky as hell. That lasted through my first and second playthrough, not so much afterwards.

MartyStu

I've been doing a trilogy replay, and I am on ME2 at the moment. The Hammerhead is so much easier to control than the Mako. I actually died on Noveria on my ME1 run because I was driving on the flat road and was suddenly launched sideways off a cliff for no apparent reason. I also skipped all of the planet sidequests because of how annoying the Mako was.

This was to your benefit.

The ship looks so nice 0_0

W3gdNeG.gif

Also, I'm guessing this is going to be the loading screen for landing on a planet. Was hoping for seamless planetary landings Q_Q

pahsNFU.gif

You had to build one of those yourself for the Normandy in ME2 if my memory is not failing.

And Garrus had to calibrate it, every.single.minute.of.the.day.

Nah you had torpedo launchers if you didn't upgrade the gun. Thanix cannons if you did.

Akai__

I really love the 2 Tempest gifs in this thread. Such an awesome design and I was worried that it wouldn't come close to the Normandy. Love it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Also, I'm guessing this is going to be the loading screen for landing on a planet. Was hoping for seamless planetary landings Q_Q

pahsNFU.gif

Nah you had torpedo launchers if you didn't upgrade the gun. Thanix cannons if you did.

Its probably one of the better ways to do a loading screen.

You can go from smooth space to ground with the right transition too for that 'faux' feel of seamless landings.

Its probably one of the better ways to do a loading screen.

You can go from smooth space to ground with the right transition too for that 'faux' feel of seamless landings.

Yeah, true. I'm guess you never really pilot the Tempest anyway so a screen like this makes more sense than an in-game transition. Also, a slow descent to the surface of the planet would probably get really old really fast. Like elevators in ME1.

Brokun

As much as the changes to the class and combat systems bothered me to the point of not wanting to pick this game up, the marketing is working on me. Fuck.

aZz8TD.gif

royox

The lack of guns and weapons on all their shit seems stupid.

It kinda makes sense if we think the tempest objective is not war but traveling great distances finding new planets (13 light years per day is really REALLY fast).

It's like sending a scout to explore, you are not sending a tank.

Does this game a lighter tone than the other games?

Mass Effect always seemed tragic to me. The soundtracks in the games are very sad and emotional and ultimately it's a story of despair.
In the games a lot of people die and there are lots of times when the player is unable to make a satisfying choice.

Of the previous games some of the aspects I found intriguing was morale dilemmas put forth. I hope this game will those aspects as well.

Big Nikus

And this one from an earlier trailer :

giphy.gif

I'm still not totally sold on the Tempest but I'm slowly starting to maybe eventually think it's not that bad.

Omg. So good. This is the stuff that is getting me beyond excited to play this game. This is the kind of video that makes you think, maybe someone actually understands why we loved Mass Effect.

Anyone know how to rip that background music from the video without all the effects/vocals? It's great, I hope it's part of the official soundtrack.

royox

I'm still not totally sold on the Tempest but I'm slowly starting to maybe eventually think it's not that bad.

The greatest problem ME:A has is that everybody will compare EVERYTHING with ME1-3. It will be hard to play a ME game withouth Shepard, the Normandy, Joker, edi and a large etc.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Omg. So good. This is the stuff that is getting me beyond excited to play this game. This is the kind of video that makes you think, maybe someone actually understands why we loved Mass Effect.

I hope they manage to reflect the feeling of these videos in the next round of promotions and actually explain the gameplay mechanics properly :)

It kinda makes sense if we think the tempest objective is not war but traveling great distances finding new planets (13 light years per day is really REALLY fast).

It's like sending a scout to explore, you are not sending a tank.

It really doesn't make sense regardless of you being a scout or not. Sending someone into an unknown, hostile galaxy with no way of protecting yourself is really horrible planning.

Schlorgan

The greatest problem ME:A has is that everybody will compare EVERYTHING with ME1-3. It will be hard to play a ME game withouth Shepard, the Normandy, Joker, edi and a large etc.

The greatest probably ME: A has is that it's a modern Bioware game that will be put under an extra level of cynicism and scrutiny.

Still think the Tempest is abysmally ugly. From an art background its just so lazy and uninspired, wouldnt everyone had rather have a new ship with its own identity and influences...rather than just a worse looking Normandy? The interior seems the same as the exterior, a superficial and desperate attempt at recapturing the charm of the first Mass Effects fantastic design. Its like they lack the confidence to show us something we've never seen before, so theyve doubled down on delivering the same old shit repackaged and diluted.

The design philosophy extends to everything we've seen from the game too, its so unoriginal it hurts, why are they afraid to show us something new for once?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Still think the Tempest is abysmally ugly. From an art background its just so lazy and uninspired, wouldnt everyone had rather have a new ship with its own identity and influences...rather than just a worse looking Normandy? The interior seems the same as the exterior, a superficial and desperate attempt at recapturing the charm of the first Mass Effects fantastic design. Its like they lack the confidence to show us something we've never seen before, so theyve doubled down on delivering the same old shit repackaged and diluted.

The design philosophy extends to everything we've seen from the game too, its so unoriginal it hurts, why are they afraid to show us something new for once?

The aesthetic and design choice they've made on mostly everything so far I find soothing, and more so over time. Ship is really growing on me too.
What I'm worried about is the narrative and gameplay.

Big Nikus

I would have liked a totally different ship too, but we'll see. I've got mad respect for Derek Watts so I'm afraid that not having him as art director will be like not having Karpyshyn as a writer for ME3. I'll wait for the game and see if it clicks. But I like the Tempest a bit more than before. I need to see the characters in it though because in the last video it seems really cold.

Con Con

The core of the ship is identical to Normandy SR2's core, and it's obvious the Tempest is meant to be the most familiar face of Mass Effect. The personal bedroom of the Pathfinder looks to be the same size as the bridge.

As it should be.

The aesthetic and design choice they've made on mostly everything so far I find soothing, and more so over time. Ship is really growing on me too.
What I'm worried about is the narrative and gameplay.
My worry is that everything is too similar to the original trilogy. The N7 day trailer especially made it look like a big nostalgia-fest, like "hey, remember Krogans?" etc.

Assuming everyone and everything you encounter operates at the same speed and uses the same technology as Council ships in the Milky Way sure. Otherwise, no.

It's a gamble. But who's to say the everyone else doesn't have far superior weaponry that wouldn't punch through any shields/armor you have anyway. If we're going by that merit. The Andromeda initiative isn't a military mission per say, it's a scouting/home finding mission. The ship is designed to travel as swiftly and to be as agile as possible to meet conditions. Putting massive weapons on it or heavily weighting it down, wouldn't really make sense from that perspective.

Schlorgan

My worry is that everything is too similar to the original trilogy. The N7 day trailer especially made it look like a big nostalgia-fest, like "hey, remember Krogans?" etc.

That's a pretty slippery slope. If they make it look too different, the complaint will be that it doesn't look like Mass Effect. We've already gotten that complaint from some people on this very forum about some things they've shown.

It's a gamble. But who's to say the everyone else doesn't have far superior weaponry that wouldn't punch through any shields/armor you have anyway. If we're going by that merit. The Andromeda initiative isn't a military mission per say, it's a scouting/home finding mission. The ship is designed to travel as swiftly and to be as agile as possible to meet conditions. Putting massive weapons on it or heavily weighting it down, wouldn't really make sense from that perspective.

Why would the weapons need to be massive?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well they gotta keep it similar while also innovating. I assume that's easier said than done, but I see your point.

Still think the Tempest is abysmally ugly. From an art background its just so lazy and uninspired, wouldnt everyone had rather have a new ship with its own identity and influences...rather than just a worse looking Normandy?
Is a sequel supposed to reinvent the brand's visual identity? I'm not going to debate aesthetics with you (though, from and art background as well, I think you're flat wrong about the Tempest being ugly and uninspired), but what's the point of starting from scratch? The Normandy was always sort of the centerpiece of Mass Effect's visual identity (along with the Citadel), so I'd think it was appropriate for a sequel to riff on its design rather than throw it out entirely. From a cynical perspective, it's good for marketing because it shows continuity of brand (just look at all the people here saying this was the most Mass Effect trailer they've seen), but it does still show respect to the original art.
The interior seems the same as the exterior, a superficial and desperate attempt at recapturing the charm of the first Mass Effects fantastic design.
I think you'd need to play the game to tell if it were merely superficial. Charm obviously won't be found in a bunch of empty, expository screenshots. Though, I don't see how anyone would find the shots of the Tempest navigating the asteroid field and landing utterly vapid.
Its like they lack the confidence to show us something we've never seen before, so theyve doubled down on delivering the same old shit repackaged and diluted.

Supposedly the real marketing push hasn't started yet, so we'll see how long it takes for EA's marketing department to show us the new stuff.

Top Bottom