• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda trailer tease, cinematic trailer out tomorrow 1/26

Carlius

Banned
lol cinematic trailer..how about a story trailer, a gameplay trailer, something a little more than just teasers and cinematics. game is cmoing out soon and what? i am absolutely not even convinced one bit by it.

Lt-47

lol cinematic trailer..how about a story trailer, a gameplay trailer, something a little more than just teasers and cinematics. game is cmoing out soon and what? i am absolutely not even convinced one bit by it.

What are you talking about, cinematic trailer pretty much mean story trailer these days. It's cinematic as in not gameplay

I know there's till a couple months however I'd much rather see a gameplay trailer since its the game I'm looking forward to most this year

fuck yes, finally!

I knew if we didn't get a trailer this week, it meant the game was in trouble.

And that snippet was just perfect, because what we needed to see was a narrative hook. Something new, something mysterious, and exciting. And we got that.

Renekton

I don't get the shift in mindset recently.

Trailers used to be regarded as cynical and sycophantic marketing. Now it's a barometer of product quality and project health 😑

Even though I love Bioware, all the reveals have been a bit underwhelming up to this point for me. So I'll be trying to keep my expectations in check for this trailer. Trying is the keyword lol

J_Viper

I want this game to be great, but nothing they have shown so far inspires any confidence.

Combat looks stiff, facial animation is embarrassing, and that Asari squad mate looks lame.

On a side note, I hope the cut-scenes on PC aren't locked to 30 FPS like it is for Inquisition. What a fucking brain dead decision that was.

*EA releases gameplay trailer last month
GAF: But where's the story?

*EA releases story trailer tomorrow
GAF: But where's the gameplay?

prag16

Banned
Super stoked for the trailer tomorrow :) any bets for a 1-2 month delay? I think they might push the release back honestly, which I am totally fine with. The last video made it seem like Andromada needs a bit more polish, but I guess we will see in the coming months :)
People still predicting delays? Come on. And then subsequently implying the lack of a delay would mean the game will be rushed out riddled with bugs?

Do some people get off on this stuff or something?

Some Nobody

Super stoked for the trailer tomorrow :) any bets for a 1-2 month delay? I think they might push the release back honestly, which I am totally fine with. The last video made it seem like Andromada needs a bit more polish, but I guess we will see in the coming months :)

This is the last opportunity for a major delay I'd think. Game's gotta go gold pretty soon, and then we're basically on the train for good. That said, I don't think there'll be one--they seem pretty well done. And usually when a delay comes with a trailer it leaks before the trailer does.

lazerfox

I'm kinda scared the trailer will have too many spoilers in it.

I'll buy the game either way so I think it's time to stop using the internet until end of march :)

Lt-47

On a side note, I hope the cut-scenes on PC aren't locked to 30 FPS like it is for Inquisition. What a fucking brain dead decision that was.

It's wasn't done on purpose, it's a weird engine limitation that they couldn't patch out. Aarny said it should be fixed for Andromeda but he wasn't 100% sure

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
"I dunno it just looks exactly like Inquisition"
Will be first post in the trailer thread, I guarantee it.

I-Guarantee-It.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What does that have to do with GAF? It's weird to have that happen for a major title. When Fallout 4 (faults aside) was previewed at that E3 before its release they certainly showed a shitload of gameplay and that was a few months earlier compared to ME:A and it's release.

So we have ME:A with 8 weeks out from release not really giving customers good info on gameplay, characters, world, etc... It's somewhat strange.

It's strange but then this game is in a strange position. It's following a truly divisive game in ME3, it seems heavily based on the structure of DA: Inquisition, and it seems laden with all the worst Bioware writing tropes. It's also been in development for 5 years, if they had something they had real confidence in they would be shouting from the rooftops. Instead they are keeping everything as low-key as possible, probably to avoid the inevitable backlash.

I hope with all my heart that this game is a return to form but they haven't given me a reason to believe yet. The stench of ME3 still lingers in my mind.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm confident Andromeda will be very much its own thing relative to the Mass Effect franchise as a whole for better or worse, adopting traits from each entry in the series, while clearly trying to rid itself of predecessor's narrative baggage. All the while taking lessons learned from Inquisition, The Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls, and other games that encourage large open play space in an attempt to translate a similar design structure to the established Mass Effect formula.

I think if you're expecting Mass Effect 1 again it pays to remember that game is going to be a decade old this year and both BioWare as a developer and the industry trends driving AAA productions have long moved on in different directions. If you're expecting a rich, deep, choice/consequence role playing game heavily influenced by table top roots it also pays to remember BioWare hasn't made a game entrenched with these ideas in even longer than decade.

patapuf

I don't get the shift in mindset recently.

Trailers used to be regarded as cynical and sycophantic marketing. Now it's a barometer of product quality and project health ��

It's always been both.

People keep saying how BS trailers are but gamers still go nuts for big trailers.

To be fair, we haven't exactly seen all that much of the game, especially the narrative stuff. So people are also exited for that.

I'm confident Andromeda will be very much its own thing relative to the Mass Effect franchise as a whole for better or worse, adopting traits from each entry in the series, while clearly trying to rid itself of predecessor's narrative baggage. All the while taking lessons learned from Inquisition, The Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls, and other games that encourage large open play space in an attempt to translate a similar design structure to the established Mass Effect formula.

I think if you're expecting Mass Effect 1 again it pays to remember that game is going to be a decade old this year and both BioWare as a developer and the industry trends driving AAA productions have long moved on in different directions. If you're expecting a rich, deep, choice/consequence role playing game heavily influenced by table top roots it also pays to remember BioWare hasn't made a game entrenched with these ideas in even longer than decade.

Given how they handeld choice in the past i actually hope they don't go too heavily into player choice. Just give me a well written narrative and i'm happy.

As of right now, if I ended up buying Andromeda it would only be because of multiplayer potential, which is crazy. Hopefully this trailer isn't just "Hey, it's like the other ones! There's a krogan and a turian, you like those right?"

Their best marketing has been through the website so far.

Donos

100's of trailers and gameplay videos

"Ahh they're showing too much. Spoilers everywhere!"

Barely show anything aside from a 10 minute gameplay demo

"Bit worried we've not seen much"

"About time they showed us some gameplay"

I prefer the latter tbh. Show me as little as you want.

You forgot the "where is the hype for XXXX?"

scoobs

I hope to god this game is great. What a treat it would be to have another amazing space RPG. Haven't had once since the ME2!

So next month it's Horizon Zero Dawn soon followed by Mass Effect Andromeda, it's like gaming Xmas.

Looking forward to a good story trailer from Bioware and some in depth gameplay down the line.

But does it really feel that way? We are playing a human again (we don't even get to play as Krogan or Turian for a change, despite the fact that Bioware could easily have done that with the "setting reboot") that faces an old, mysterious evil that threatens the galaxy (not-Reapers) and you get to fight not-Geth that even use the iconic Geth scream (the recent "gameplay" trailer). There is a not-Normandy and even a not-Citadel as hub too.

Feels like a retreat of Mass Effect 1-3 with a slightly different setting. And for the "large open space" part... we know very little of it. For all we know it could be the empty and boring Mako missions from Mass Effect 1 times 100. The last "gameplay trailer" sure seemed rather linear and the rest were cinematic trailers or "not actual gameplay".

illamap

But does it really feel that way? We are playing a human again (we don't even get to play as Krogan or Turian for a change, despite the fact that Bioware could easily have done that with the "setting reboot") that faces an old, mysterious evil that threatens the galaxy (not-Reapers) and you get to fight not-Geth that even use the iconic Geth scream (the recent "gameplay" trailer). There is a not-Normandy and even a not-Citadel as hub too.

Feels like a retreat of Mass Effect 1-3 with a slightly different setting. And for the "large open space" part... we know very little of it. For all we know it could be the empty and boring Mako missions from Mass Effect 1 times 100. The last "gameplay trailer" sure seemed rather linear and the rest were cinematic trailers or "not actual gameplay".

If i remember correctly story would focus more on unproven pathfinder + its family relationships than familyless and proven commander shepard. So i imagine it enables for completely different story.

Of course the game is gonna have elements from like "not-normandy", how else would you get around? As for enemies they might have completely different motives and origins and way of working aka not extinction.

Lt-47

What mysterious evil that threaten the galaxy are talking about ? They haven't shown or talk about any like that so far.

And the remnant don't look or sounds anything like the geth. Nor do they look like to be the main enemies.

Angel_DvA

OléGunner;229123817 said:
So next month it's Horizon Zero Dawn soon followed by Mass Effect Andromeda, it's like gaming Xmas.

Looking forward to a good story trailer from Bioware and some in depth gameplay down the line.

And Zelda.

Top Bottom