• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda will ship early 2017 (late Q1), will be at EA Play (E3)

Hahs

No idea, but I will say the music was very reminiscent of the original Mass Effect. I immediately thought of ME1 when I heard it. So good.

In fact from everything I saw, all I could think of was "This is what Mass Effect 1 was envisioned to be."
..just awakened dem feels! - now for space & time

The explorable spaces in Andromeda are massive so it's hard to compare directly to Battlefield.

Eh... on one hand if the game is mostly about exploring big uncharted worlds, that's cool. But on the other hand, having big, empty environments that simultaneously felt really static is what killed the exploration in Inquisition for me. I guess the ME team has an easier job of it though since they have the Mako to utilize in traversing larger areas which works a bit better than Inquisition where your party members magically disappeared while you rode your slower than molasses horse. Really depends on how atmospheric BioWare can make all these worlds.

Character models look incredible. Animations are a huge upgrade too.
I'll believe it when I see it. Or rather, I'll be curious as to how consistent the animations are. One of the huge problems I had with Inquisition was how some cutscenes would be really solid but then you'd get tons of dialogue and conversations where they didn't bother with any cinematics and barely any facial animations. That whole Skyrim approach to conversations really bothered me in Inquisition and I hope its not something BioWare sticks with going forward.

Eh... on one hand if the game is mostly about exploring big uncharted worlds, that's cool. But on the other hand, having big, empty environments that simultaneously felt really static is what killed the exploration in Inquisition for me. I guess the ME team has an easier job of it though since they have the Mako to utilize in traversing larger areas which works a bit better than Inquisition where your party members magically disappeared while you rode your slower than molasses horse. Really depends on how atmospheric BioWare can make all these worlds.
Like I said in the other thread, I saw as many things to do and discover in one planet here as I did the whole lot of side planets on ME1 lol. The Mako is fast, hence the big environments.

I'll believe it when I see it. Or rather, I'll be curious as to how consistent the animations are. One of the huge problems I had with Inquisition was how some cutscenes would be really solid but then you'd get tons of dialogue and conversations where they didn't bother with any cinematics and barely any facial animations. That whole Skyrim approach to conversations really bothered me in Inquisition and I hope its not something BioWare sticks with going forward.
Sure, judge it when you see it. But I was pleasantly surprised at how improved facial animations were. Bioware's used a lot of improved techniques this time around. A key issue they've wanted to tackle is specifically that: repeated animations and breaking immersion. Of course, that doesn't meant there are a million animations in the game, but, thanks to focusing on current hardware, there's a lot more that's possible. I think people will be pleased.

Ralemont

not me
If there are a hundred planets it's unlikely you'd really spend enough time on each planet to appreciate a day/night cycle anyway.

Exciting, but man this wait is gonna suck. I love mass effect so much. Hooefully this game takes more from the first game than two and 3 did gameplay wise.

Can't really comment on specifics but there are things that are similar to DAI but much more that's very different.

No idea, but I will say the music was very reminiscent of the original Mass Effect. I immediately thought of ME1 when I heard it. So good.

In fact from everything I saw, all I could think of was "This is what Mass Effect 1 was envisioned to be."

Thats what I like to hear. Any tracks reminiscent of vigil? My favorite track in the first game.

Melchiah

Exciting, but man this wait is gonna suck. I love mass effect so much. Hooefully this game takes more from the first game than two and 3 did gameplay wise.

Huh? I thought it was pretty much considered a fact, that the sequels were better gameplay-wise, and the 2nd had better sidequests, whereas the first had the upper hand in story and atmosphere. Possibly also in having more options to spec the characters, if you enjoyed tampering with the clunky inventory.

The talk about the size of the environments makes me worry that it's going to be yet another game, that puts emphasis on quantity over quality. Personally, I prefer fewer and more confined areas, that make me feel like there's a continuous progress in the story, instead of having larger and predominantly empty areas just because that's the thing to do nowadays.

I still fear that it will taint the multiplayer portion as well, especially after DAI's MP, where the maps were more like running contests, and lacked the strategy of the ME3 maps.

SliChillax

The talk about the size of the environments makes me worry that it's going to be yet another game, that puts emphasis on quantity over quality. Personally, I prefer fewer and more confined areas, that make me feel like there's a continuous progress in the story, instead of having larger and predominantly empty areas just because that's the thing to do nowadays.

This is what worries me the most.

DOWN

Banned
Huh? I thought it was pretty much considered a fact, that the sequels were better gameplay-wise, and the 2nd had better sidequests, whereas the first had the upper hand in story and atmosphere. Possibly also in having more options to spec the characters, if you enjoyed tampering with the clunky inventory.

I still fear that it will taint the multiplayer portion as well, especially after DAI's MP, where the maps were more like running contests, and lacked the strategy of the ME3 maps.

I feel the opposite when it comes to single player. It was tragic that they romanticized the experience of being an astronaut in the vastness of hidden space, delivered the best they could with the tech limitations, and then dropped it completely for linearity and killed the grand tour of space that the first game at least implied. I couldn't be more happy that they do indeed know ME1 had the right idea and they just finally needed tech to catch up so they could support the vision with the right content and variability, but most certainly deliver the exploration and vastness once again.

Melchiah

I feel the opposite when it comes to single player. It was tragic that they romanticized the experience of being an astronaut in the vastness of hidden space, delivered the best they could with the tech limitations, and then dropped it completely for linearity and killed the grand tour of space that the first game at least implied. I couldn't be more happy that they do indeed know ME1 had the right idea and they just finally needed tech to catch up so they could support the vision with the right content and variability, but most certainly deliver the exploration and vastness once again.

I'm hoping for the best, but also mentally preparing for cosmic shard quests, and a space equivalent for the goddam Hinterland. That being said, DAI had some good sidequests, like the one in Valammar and the haunted palace. Unfortunately, for every good one it had a dozen trivial ones, and there's no reason to believe at this point, that Bioware would have drastically changed their ways.

Hey Shinobi! Do you think that the game is technically as impressive as Uncharted 4?
Also, when exploring a planet, do you have to stay inside of the Mako all the time or can you just step out and walk around freely?
When you say that the spaces to explore are MASSIVE, do you mean that you have a whole planet to explore, or just a big area of that planet, similar to the areas in DA:I?

Top Bottom