• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda writer Samantha Wallschlaeger hired as new lead writer for Bloodlines 2

Teslerum

What are you people talking about? Such a magnificent writer.

483bb2b8503e5a90cdf78b3be196d05b._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

tenor.gif

MiguelItUp

RIP

I feel like someone that has no idea what they're talking about was like, "Oh she worked on Mass Effect?! BRING HER IN! Andromeda? I don't know which one that is, who cares, she worked on Mass Effect! Bring her in!"

If this turns out okay, wonderful. But, uh, it just all seems really bad. Such a shame.

- She's the one responsible for canceling Chris Avellone from various upcoming games after sexual accusations against him.

Looks like another solid nail in the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 coffin.

Samantha wasn't the main voice in canceling Avellone, she was more cowardly about it - Samantha's 'accusation' was something along the lines "he talked to me in an elevator". Bring out the handcuffs.

It's telling she posted that, though, and then immediately took it down - attack, hide, and forget, that's these Twitter mob-ettes for you.

She's also great friends with: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/remember-that-arenanet-girl.1553865/#post-259138302 - even better.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
wasent this game supposed to be done already? Why are they hiring a writer now?

Like dont you need the story as a framework to work on the game? Otherwise your essentially just creating assets... The fact she has her name attached to one of the biggest failures in Videogames history is not something you look for when hiring, if the game was only a technical failure ok... fair enough but Andromeda was a huge step back in terms of writing, and was rightly mocked for it.

Last edited:
RIP

I feel like someone that has no idea what they're talking about was like, "Oh she worked on Mass Effect?! BRING HER IN! Andromeda? I don't know which one that is, who cares, she worked on Mass Effect! Bring her in!"

If this turns out okay, wonderful. But, uh, it just all seems really bad. Such a shame.

I don't get the impression they really "interview" anyone for Bloodlines 2 based on their staffing decisions, even Mitsoda.

I feel like after a few years, Hardsuit realized they didn't like Mitsoda and couldn't understand why "anyone" (them) would have hired him.

What a clusterfuck.

WakeTheWolf

Some interesting facts about this situation:

- She worked on ME: Andromeda in the past.
- She'll be taking over Brian Mitsoda's position in the company.
- She's the one responsible for canceling Chris Avellone from various upcoming games after sexual accusations against him.

Looks like another solid nail in the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 coffin.

Very fitting to be working on a vampire game when she sucked the life out of Mass Effect

Snagged from the Paradox forums (they're having a field day over there as well) - posting this tidbit before someone claims she didn't do much on Andromeda, turns out she actually has another classic syndrome of Failed Writer(tm) by over-stating her contributions to a title she worked on for a short period of time:

DO4HwGl.png

Also, someone listed out her durations on previous projects, and those suck, too:

Monolith: 1 yr, 2 mo
BioWare: 1 yr, 11 mo
ArenaNet: 1 yr, 11 mo (with her friend who was fired this month)

Run for the hills, "y'all"

Fbh

wasent this game supposed to be done already? Why are they hiring a writer now?

Like dont you need the story as a framework to work on the game? Otherwise your essentially just creating assets... The fact she has her name attached to one of the biggest failures in Videogames history is not something you look for when hiring, if the game was only a technical failure ok... fair enough but Andromeda was a huge step back in terms of writing, and was rightly mocked for it.

Well, based on her tweet it seems like she wasn't hired specifically as the lead writer for Bloodlines 2. She was hired to fill in the lead writer role in the studio at large.
I'm going to guess her role in Bloodlines 2 will be rather small, but she'll get to be in charge of any future projects they do, be it DLC, a sequel or some other game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll still gonna buy this aren't ya?
Aw jeez lemme see here I wandar what most people are gunna say about thiiiiis hawww what the fuck are women doing in our hobby yarrrr waaarrr blaaaarrrrggghhhh
i97myk.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, based on her tweet it seems like she wasn't hired specifically as the lead writer for Bloodlines 2. She was hired to fill in the lead writer role in the studio at large.
I'm going to guess her role in Bloodlines 2 will be rather small, but she'll get to be in charge of any future projects they do, be it DLC, a sequel or some other game.

I don't think the studio has more than one game (and may not get another one), so no idea what other game she would work on.

I know Hardsuit outsources programmers so there's "other projects" in that sense, but not outsourcing writers, not many companies do that.

Overall, it feels unlikely she wouldn't work on Bloodlines 2 especially in a one-game studio like Hardsuit.

Hudo

By the way, the allegations of Avellone have yet to be provided with proof. But it's good news that she isn't involved in Mass Effect anymore. Maybe without her and with Casey Hudson at the helm again, it might be possible that the next Mass Effect will actually be decent. Don't have high hopes for Bloodlines 2 but I'll be positively surprised if it turns out to be awesome. But I highly doubt that it will reach the same heights as the original Bloodlines. The Haunted Hotel is one of my favorite video game zones/levels.

Aw jeez lemme see here I wandar what most people are gunna say about thiiiiis hawww what the fuck are women doing in our hobby yarrrr waaarrr blaaaarrrrggghhhh

It's the fact the writer in question wrote the universally panned trainwreck of Mass Effect Andromeda. This isn't a specific group who found the game and the writing to be shit. Check the vast majority of reviews, both critical and user.

The claim people are only apprehensive because she is a woman is a bizarre flex that you are taking. For example, most people consider Amy Hennig to be one of the best writers/directors. If Hennig got the writing position many would have their hype go through the roof for this game.

But, you play to the tired narrative you want to.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I will still give it the benefit of the doubt. I didn't totally hate Mass Effect Andromeda. It was just boring and uninspired.

Hopefully she has learned from her mistakes and hopefully this game is not a disaster. Will 100% wait for critic and user reviews before touching this one.

GreyHorace

What are you people talking about? Such a magnificent writer.

483bb2b8503e5a90cdf78b3be196d05b._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

tenor.gif

Wow. So edgy. How much virtue signaling can one comic take?

Never bothered with Andromeda after all the memes started popping up. Is it as bad people as Dragon Age Inquisition in the writing department?

tkscz

What the fuck, how this person still has job in this industry?!

I've explained this before, most project managers who are in the media industry are far left leaning. They care little about well written stories and making money and more about agendas and narratives, mainly identity politics. She'll always have a place in the industry, no matter how bad her writing is or isn't, simply because she is also a far left leaning woman.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I don't know about all that. I don't even know how anyone could tell based on 1 person lol

Looking at their work, they worked on quite a lot. Guild Wars 2, Star Wars The Old Republic etc.

Top Bottom