• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS5) 4K 60FPS Gameplay

Nico_D

Ok good to know. Will I miss a lot if I skip the side quests in the first one?

I would do the one on the Moon.

Other than that, imo the rewards are not really worth it to go through the copy paste buildings. Well, exvept for the exp.

The Mako is way better. ME1 is still a little clunky compared to the others but the gap is much smaller now.

I like the idea of replaying a lot of PS360 games but when I do they mostly just don’t hold up but ME still does. This must have really blown my mind back in 2007.

Hopefully enemies will still spam I will destroy you over and over and over so it can become imprinted on my brain again..

Lupingosei

Banned
My face is tired

Se9l8T0.jpg
E1-R-POd-XMAMooem.jpg

Markio128

Started playing the 1st ME last night on PS5. The shooting/cover gameplay is a little lacking compared to recent games, but it was expected, being based on a 360 title. Still, the game as a whole is still enjoyable and the visuals look much better to me - also, the fast loading cannot be underestimated! I actually wished they had gone full turn based with at least the 1st game.

Rob_27

Got it on Series X

It's a bit clunky, looks nice. But not super nice.

Bit annoyed there is no controller layout in menu. Or is there? Half way through ME1 intro put it down and came back hours later and completely forgot what's what. Started shooting off grenades and shit.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Good thing there’s a great technology that smooths out drops like that, which is supported by most any somewhat modern games machine. VRR has been great since the one X!
So is it double the frame rate or not? If it’s dropping to the 80s often then it pushes far less pixels than 4k60. Surely Lil Ricky wouldn’t stand for that. So what’s the point again?

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
So is it double the frame rate or not? If it’s dropping to the 80s often then it pushes far less pixels than 4k60. Surely Lil Ricky wouldn’t stand for that. So what’s the point again?

What I’ve played so far is 120 most of the time.

I guess you must play everything on a 3090 at 720p and 30 FPS and have never seen a frame drop before huh

Or maybe you’ve just never played a 120 FPS game with VRR because there are some rare places that don’t really support that tech from 5 years ago. Just wait, it’ll all make sense when you see that!

meech

I would do the one on the Moon.

Other than that, imo the rewards are not really worth it to go through the copy paste buildings. Well, exvept for the exp.
Wrex mission is worth it, as you dont need any intimidate/charm to calm him on Noveria. Then there is the mission where you can try to arrest the doctor Garrus was after. A lot of the side missions have decent dialogue, even choices and after you done them, some briefing with Hackett. Something like that is entirely missing in the second and third game.

Playing ME1 for the first time (I skipped it because it came out super late on PS3 back in the day) and I'm a little surprised by how rushed and clumsy the storytelling is a lot of the time. The reapers are established as the primary antagonists way too early, I'm suddenly off looking for the Mu relay for some reason and I don't know why, I've had two conversations with Liara and she's in love with me, etc. Definitely not up to the standard of ME2 or DAO.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Am I crazy or does the near lack of loading make these games twice as great?
With how much time you spend using elevators, transitioning from space stations, etc...
It makes a second playthrough right after actually enticing.

wvnative

As far as I can tell no. I couldn't even find a controller layout. You can invert the aiming and camera I think. You can remap with the elite controller.

I can use my cronus and system accessibility options to remap it's just always easier when devs implement it in game. Thanks for the answer.

Excited to play but my backlog is nuts right now. But was still curious if it had any remapping options. I don't recall having an issue with it on PS3 but i was stronger back then.

Ascend

Playing ME1 for the first time (I skipped it because it came out super late on PS3 back in the day) and I'm a little surprised by how rushed and clumsy the storytelling is a lot of the time. The reapers are established as the primary antagonists way too early, I'm suddenly off looking for the Mu relay for some reason and I don't know why, I've had two conversations with Liara and she's in love with me, etc. Definitely not up to the standard of ME2 or DAO.
ME1 will never be the same experience if you played the other ones first. You already know of the reapers. But when you play it from the perspective that the Protheans were responsible for everything, and your main enemy is the Geth and Saren, it is a completely different experience.

ME1 will never be the same experience if you played the other ones first. You already know of the reapers. But when you play it from the perspective that the Protheans were responsible for everything, and your main enemy is the Geth and Saren, it is a completely different experience.
I mean the reapers are mentioned in the second mission. It's not exactly a big buildup.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Mass Effect 2 blows 1 out of the water. It's just better in almost every respect, other than a few missing rpg elements (I miss customizing my squads armor).

I never really played 3, does it keep up this level of quality?

xion4360

Mass Effect 2 blows 1 out of the water. It's just better in almost every respect, other than a few missing rpg elements (I miss customizing my squads armor).

I never really played 3, does it keep up this level of quality?

its even better IMO, the difference is the overall story structure is less open ended (in itself, as in what makes some situations unique is based more on your choices in 1 and 2 and not so much in 3) and the ending is what it is...but as far as the gameplay stuff, its the best. I love seeing long running things be resolved or random characters come back in ME3, even if the ending is not the best everything else about it is fantastic. The ending is certainly bigger than 1 and 2..those just kind of end after the final boss...its just that people came up with some good theories and when they didnt pan out its disappointing (as opposed to ME1 and 2 where your left with a feeling of wanting more, but knowing more is coming) but with the extended cut I think its good. to it's also by far the most epic...its one of the most epic things ive ever seen.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The game seems to be treating me as if I let the council die out of spite. It's really harshing my buzz, dog. The reporter asked about it and I told her to sniff it, so that's something. It was a casualty of war though and I wish the game would assuage me a bit.

Though I am using the guilt to justify some of my renegade actions. One person can't be held responsible for so many lives without cracking a bit.

Last edited:
The game seems to be treating me as if I let the council die out of spite. It's really harshing my buzz, dog. The reporter asked about it and I told her to sniff it, so that's something. It was a casualty of war though and I wish the game would assuage me a bit.

Though I am using the guilt to justify some of my renegade actions. One person can't be held responsible for so many lives without cracking a bit.
The more I played the series I actually think Sheppard was out of line for most of his responses to the council in the first game. Spoiler tag just in case: apparently i don’t know how to spoiler tag. Removed it as soon as I posted lol does the <spoiler> tag not work?

Last edited:

meech

Seems like even on the highest difficulty enemies dont use immunity anymore in the first...( saw some vids on you tube, neither the krogan bouncer nor the assassins use it)

Last edited:

LMJ

So tired of these BC comparisons...

The XseX/s always wins by default due to awesome hardware legacy support by MS

Still if you have both seems the Box is the way to go on this one

Valonquar

I think most people are missing the point with Mass Effect 1's combat. It was designed as a RPG, like in Alpha Protocol and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.
The combat system was Xbroified. Makes little sense to me since most Xbros would rather die than watch a cutscene longer than 3 seconds.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Cant decide what version to get. Don't have 120hz only 60hz 4k oled. Could someone confirm if PS5 would support adaptive triggers? If not may just get it on series x

Cheers.
It doesn't support them - because you have to be a 'native' PS5 game to get that treatment. It is for the same reason the game can't support a 120hz mode on PS5 - because PS4 games could not ever output at 120hz .

Microsoft seems to make it easier for developers to take advantage of the Series consoles even those the game is technically a "Xbox One" game...

The PlayStation 5 seems to have more severe restrictions about what hardware can be accessed by a "PS4" game. This could even possibly explain the PS5's problem in some scenes of this game - but if it does it's totally on Sony that this is happening at all. If Microsoft made it easier they deserve the credit for that.

Andodalf

Banned
I think most people are missing the point with Mass Effect 1's combat. It was designed as a RPG, like in Alpha Protocol and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Ahhhh, it also just played like crap. It doesn’t play well tactically like DA:O does because it’s a really bad shooter. It needed a rework badly.

shubik

so I finished the first one (I rushed through the main mission without doing any side missions) and now I´m around 6 hours into the second. I have to say that the difference in gameplay between one and two is immense! I was barely able to keep going with 1 but 2 is a joy to play compared. Really digging the story and the whole universe.

Hinedorf

Banned
I just beat Mass Effect 1 in around 20 hours and did as many side quests as I could get, maybe I just didn't look enough. Cool story but felt short for typical rpg.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It doesn't support them - because you have to be a 'native' PS5 game to get that treatment. It is for the same reason the game can't support a 120hz mode on PS5 - because PS4 games could not ever output at 120hz .

Microsoft seems to make it easier for developers to take advantage of the Series consoles even those the game is technically a "Xbox One" game...

The PlayStation 5 seems to have more severe restrictions about what hardware can be accessed by a "PS4" game. This could even possibly explain the PS5's problem in some scenes of this game - but if it does it's totally on Sony that this is happening at all. If Microsoft made it easier they deserve the credit for that.
They do and get credit especialy given how many generations this affects (AF/Texturing + Resolution + Auto HDR + Loading times improvements in OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games does improve them a lot), but they sacrificed HW direct access for the games that target the new HW. So yes one solution is more efficient at extracting potential for new games (slower CPU can net essentially the same performance) vs the other one is better at improving older games.

The ability to patch games and remove framerate locks and the use of DRS are making both approaches more and more similar.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Just started playing this morning on XBX as it’s on GP.

Really struggling with it tbh. ME1 is so clunky. Tbf that first hour or two has always been really poor imo even in the original game. I’ll keep going for now and hope to push past the clunkiness but I’m so disappointed that they didn’t do more with this. I thought this was a remake ala FFVII / RE2 etc. but it really is just a HD remake with a bit of tidying up done.

It hasn’t aged well sadly. :(

MikeM

Really struggling with it tbh. ME1 is so clunky. Tbf that first hour or two has always been really poor imo even in the original game. I’ll keep going for now and hope to push past the clunkiness but I’m so disappointed that they didn’t do more with this. I thought this was a remake ala FFVII / RE2 etc. but it really is just a HD remake with a bit of tidying up done.

I’ve never played the series so I just started the first one on Series x (thanks GP!). I’m enjoying it.

Deerock71

Is this how one feels that has already played it? I guess it doesn't feel clunky to me because I never played it before. Glad to hear it gets even better!

Top Bottom