• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass effect legendary edition runs at 60fps on PS5 and 120fps on XSX

JayK47

I can't really tell much of a difference past 30 fps. I had to lock my monitor and card at 60 fps to keep the heat down. Based on a quick internet search, I was seeing a lot of articles claiming that the human eye can't notice much beyond 60 fps. Maybe lay off the caffeine. Seriously, at what point are we going to declare that we have enough fps?

SmokSmog

Another o....
4849024ea17b66b7a80ac9e333fbf76c9a3f28d90ae5f14dfc5654d936aaa29a.jpg

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Seeing the comments on Facebook is mind blowing.

Xbox Fan: "Ha, PS5 sucks, we get 120hz for Mass Effect and you get 60hz!"

PS5 Fan: "Do you have a 120hz TV to even run this?'

Xbox Fan: "...No, but it doesn't matter, 120Hz. PS5 sucks."

The comments for anything on facebook is a joke, sports team pages on there are good for a laugh aswell.

Banned
One X and Series S being 100% identical is also kinda interesting. I wonder if a 1080p120fps mode was not possible on Series S or if they simply didn't try and simply copy/pasted the One X settings over...

900p120fps should have totally been possible tho on Series S :pie_thinking: since I doubt the CPU would be a bottleneck here since it's only slightly slower than the Series X's

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yeah it's a BC game that's why.

I think the more interesting comment is "up to" 60 for PS5 while it's "up to" 120 on Xbox.

Given how close in performance these machines are, does that imply PS5 will drop below 60fps still in performance mode? So if that's the case is the Xbox version going to vary between 60-120 fps? Since if there are places where the PS5 would theoretically drop to below 60, The XSX would similarly be at 60 or below 60 as well in that mode ... seems like wild fluctuations.

Or they will both essentially be locked and "up to" means jack all. :p

PS5 could probably do the 120 just fine, the BC just isn't configured for it. Basically this is fps boosted on XSX from launch.

The next-gen version will likely adjust things to use the consoles properly.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This settled!! im getting series X with 120fps mass effect!!! who in the right mind buy a next gen console to play new next gen game ? PS is done for.

Returnal? Ratchet and Clank? pffff come on who would play these

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

One X and Series S being 100% identical is also kinda interesting. I wonder if a 1080p120fps mode was not possible on Series S or if they simply didn't try and simply copy/pasted the One X settings over...

900p120fps should have totally been possible tho on Series S :pie_thinking: since I doubt the CPU would be a bottleneck here since it's only slightly slower than the Series X's

Since some of the fps boost games don't appear for the S, I wonder if the way the system has to emulate the esram in the GDDR has anything to do with it not being compatible in certain titles. The system is clearly more than 2x more powerful than the X1 in CPU, GPU, IO speed, etc., so that's the only thing I could think of.

Banned
Since some of the fps boost games don't appear for the S, I wonder if the way the system has to emulate the esram in the GDDR has anything to do with it not being compatible in certain titles. The system is clearly more than 2x more powerful than the X1 in CPU, GPU, IO speed, etc., so that's the only thing I could think of.

I actually never thought about that, but yeah, could be. but also it might just be the bandwidth in general not necessarily the esram needing to be simulated.
but in this case I honestly think it's just that they can't be asked to care since the Series S is not the enthusiast system where 120hz is necessarily expected in every game, so just using One X settings might be a quick and easy way for them to support it. we know that back compat games can be basically almost turned into native X|S titles... almost... and at that point I wonder if the ESRAM is a factor anymore at all, but who knows

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I actually never thought about that, but yeah, could be. but also it might just be the bandwidth in general not necessarily the esram needing to be simulated.
but in this case I honestly think it's just that they can't be asked to care since the Series S is not the enthusiast system where 120hz is necessarily expected in every game, so just using One X settings might be a quick and easy way for them to support it. we know that back compat games can be basically almost turned into native X|S titles... almost... and at that point I wonder if the ESRAM is a factor anymore at all, but who knows

When they launched the 1X they said they had to emulate the ESRAM in the unpatched X1 games because the code specifically referenced it. Maybe that has changed. But I don't think the FPS boost actually changes the code at all. 🤷‍♂️

But either way, the memory bandwidth is the one spot where there isn't a clear 2x advantage, at least not the entire picture including both the slow DDR3 and the ESRAM.

Banned
When they launched the 1X they said they had to emulate the ESRAM in the unpatched X1 games because the code specifically referenced it. Maybe that has changed. But I don't think the FPS boost actually changes the code at all. 🤷‍♂️

But either way, the memory bandwidth is the one spot where there isn't a clear 2x advantage, at least not the entire picture including both the slow DDR3 and the ESRAM.

this is not FPS boost, this is a specific patch that detects if the game is played on a Series S and has specific settings for it. so it could totally be that ESRAM is absolutely no factor in this situation. but it's of course hard to tell without first hand info

TheShocker

I’m just excited to play through the series again. 1440p @ 120 FPS is just a bonus. I’ll let you nerds argue over semantics while I enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Allandor

So it’s a last gen only game? Bummer.. I’ll buy it when we get a native PS5 version.
Well, what did you expect? .... EA ;)

Well, 120 fps aren't really necessary. Mass Effect is not exactly a fast shooter. I hoped for more current-gen features instead of 120fps.

Last edited:
once you play 120hz you don't want to go back
120Hz only really matters or is a benefit in competitive shooters.

For everything else 60 will suffice.

You’re as thick as that Twitter idiot for reposting that.
That's why I put that guy on ignore.

Quoting a sack of shit like Dealer here. Good grief. I'd react the same if it was PS twitter warriors. There is one PS troll guy (who for some reason that escapes me) also gets quoted quite a bit on this forum. Can't remember the name. Yeah well anyway fuck you guys for doing that lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom